Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-19-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That would be fantastic. Something my friends and I have discussed many times. They would be caught with their pants down.
To some extent they already have been. After starting out the primary season with a focus on "the pledge" those same guys are now reluctantly supporting Trump while at the same time whispering behind the scenes to take the nomination away from him at the convention.

They made the rules, and they won't follow those rules themselves. A perfect reflection of how they legislate. "One rule for thee, another rule for me."

Weasels on parade.
Old 06-19-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

New NBC news polls out today on Meet the Press:

Trumps approval rating among JUST Republicans is down to 35%.

Hillary's approval rating among JUST Democrats is up to 75%.

Only 78% of Republicans say they will vote in November compared to 87% in March.

This makes sense as I know 3 friends who were Trump supporters who are having second thoughts cause of his antics in the past 2 weeks.

I've gotten alot of crap from my Republican friends for being a #NeverTrumper since last fall and have never wavered. Now they are starting to see this guy isn't Presidential enough.
Old 06-19-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, except for a couple wackos I know, everyone who was initially supportive of Trump is having serious doubts and/or no longer speaking about him in a positive sense. Not that they're going to be voting for Clinton, but doesn't look like they'll be voting for Trump either.

Now if we can only get these people not not vote at all, and hopefully get congress out of the hands of the idiot, do-nothing tea party.
Old 06-19-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Apparently it is my whole state that is crazy.

Sanders wins Wash. state party endorsement in symbolic move
In an unprecedented move, the Washington State Democratic Party has endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders for president at its state convention in Tacoma. The endorsement came despite the fact that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is the party's presumptive nominee.

State parities don't usually endorse candidates before the National Convention.

Bernie Sanders won 70 percent of the Democratic delegates in Washington and his followers were able to change the rules to permit the endorsement as a show of respect for their candidate and his issues.

The endorsement is merely symbolic, but some Sanders supporters believe the move will make it easier for them to support Clinton in November.
Old 06-19-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

News coverage of Hillary Clinton often emphasizes gender over competency, study shows

It's an interesting story from a gender studies point of view. I think it missed the obvious answer that it is simply much easier to convince people of her gender than of her competency, so avoid that latter.
Old 06-19-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I thought this was dead on:

Old 06-19-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Any weapon designed to shoot more than a couple bullets per second. It's not that complicated.
True, putting it that way, it's not complicated. But it's a rather sweeping law, and no chance of that going anywhere.
Old 06-19-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Apparently it is my whole state that is crazy.

Sanders wins Wash. state party endorsement in symbolic move
Like I was saying earlier, Clinton does not have a sure win for the general election, and Republicans thinking about this sabotaging Trump crusade is going to backfire so much I'm gonna need some meds to prevent myself from laughing into a condition that only comic book characters can relate to.

It's going to be a madhouse, where people are going to have choices. If they feel they don't have choices, many might not vote.

Independent and 3rd party tickets might be the winning force this election, which is something historic in American history.

But I hope the Koch Brothers and Jebbers 4 Lifers continue with their destruction of the Republican party.
Old 06-19-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest voting block will be those voting to make sure the orange clown never makes his way into the White House.
Old 06-19-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Like I was saying earlier, Clinton does not have a sure win for the general election, and Republicans thinking about this sabotaging Trump crusade is going to backfire so much I'm gonna need some meds to prevent myself from laughing into a condition that only comic book characters can relate to.
You realize that any backfiring will help Hillary?
Old 06-19-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate posting memes like this, but this one has a fair point...

Old 06-19-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hillary isn't obligated to adopt Bernie's platform entirely and I don't think he implies it, but since he has such a large portion of votes, it's rude to invalidate those millions who want Bernie, just because "Hillary won".
Old 06-19-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hillary isn't obligated to adopt Bernie's platform entirely and I don't think he implies it, but since he has such a large portion of votes, it's rude to invalidate those millions who want Bernie, just because "Hillary won".
It's "rude"? A Trump supporter who thinks Hillary is rude?
Old 06-19-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Threw you for a loop. Admit it!
Old 06-19-16, 03:47 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
News coverage of Hillary Clinton often emphasizes gender over competency, study shows

It's an interesting story from a gender studies point of view. I think it missed the obvious answer that it is simply much easier to convince people of her gender than of her competency, so avoid that latter.
"I don't know, I will tell you this - I've heard people say she may not really be a woman. She may not. And that's great, that's wonderful. But she may not really be a woman. I'm not saying it, people are saying it. I'm just asking a question."

Last edited by Bandoman; 06-19-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I hate posting memes like this, but this one has a fair point...

I'm not a Bernie fan, but this meme is pretty terrible. Sexism has nothing to do with Bernie pushing to affect the party platform. If Hillary was a man and the exact same primary results occurred, he'd be doing the same thing.

Further problems: many of those statements overlap in significance with other statements, most of the endorsements from media and politicians either play to Bernie's criticisms or are simply because she won the primaries, and the biggest issue: Hillary is not (yet) "the first woman president."
Old 06-19-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Ah, but was Johnny referring to the crowd, or himself?
Old 06-19-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many of those Hillary endorsements came as a result of winning the delegates. Had Bernie won, he would have had the exact same endorsements. The script is written, all they do is fill in the name. But she did win the votes and the delegates. He's been around long enough to know how the system works.

Trumps numbers are very poor and getting worse. Right now he's preaching to the choir and the choir is getting smaller.

One thing that confuses me. I know Trump is hated by the minorities because they believe Trump is a racist. However all I can think is, if I were an immigrant who busted my ass to do everything by the book, and jumped through all the government hoops it seems I'd be for the stricter immigration policies. Or if I were an under-class working minority, I too be all for stricter border enforcement and no amnesty. I wouldn't want another million people in line for my job. I will admit I can only guess how they feel but just because someone is the same ethnicity as me doesn't mean they should be able to come over without doing the same work I did.
Old 06-19-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trump is hated by a portion of minorities and immigrants. Just how much, is only going to be revealed maybe a month before the election with some good numbers which will carry directly to the ballots. This election is so politicized, it's difficult to get true representations because there is a definite amount of psychological warfare going on.

Same for Hillary, with regards to the true numbers who support her. Due to the dynamics of Bernie and possibly two or even three additional parties being an option for voters, there's no guarantee for any particular winner.

Just like Trump's numbers are doing poorly today, we don't know if they will remain there. If somebody says they are, I guess that's a 50/50 chance of being correct, but I would say since Trump's numbers have historically been resilient, the same is still possible.

What hurts Trump, is the compiling of naive comments, one after the other, in a short period of time. Normally, there's been a cool-off period. This period has saved his ass, and even escalated his popularity because after the heated attacks and accusations...we find some evidence to support his wild assertions (but at the same time NOT condoning his behavior and how he presented them). But over the last 3 weeks, Trump has been shooting his mouth off in much shorter periods with controversial statements, and it's overwhelming his support base who are trying to keep up.

Trumps success almost resembles the Monty Hall 3-door discussion. Where if you choose the same the door, you have a less chance of winning, but if you change decisions, you have a greater percentage of winning. If you look really close at the top candidates, there are similarities.

Trump might be preaching to a recent decrease in his choir...but the choir hasn't left the church. They just sat down in the front pews and are taking a breather.
Old 06-19-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
"I don't know, I will tell you this - I've heard people say she may not really be a woman. She may not. And that's great, that's wonderful. But she may not really be a woman. I'm not saying it, people are saying it. I'm just asking a question."

Old 06-19-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Trump is hated by a portion of minorities and immigrants. Just how much, is only going to be revealed maybe a month before the election with some good numbers which will carry directly to the ballots. This election is so politicized, it's difficult to get true representations because there is a definite amount of psychological warfare going on.

Same for Hillary, with regards to the true numbers who support her. Due to the dynamics of Bernie and possibly two or even three additional parties being an option for voters, there's no guarantee for any particular winner.

Just like Trump's numbers are doing poorly today, we don't know if they will remain there. If somebody says they are, I guess that's a 50/50 chance of being correct, but I would say since Trump's numbers have historically been resilient, the same is still possible.

What hurts Trump, is the compiling of naive comments, one after the other, in a short period of time. Normally, there's been a cool-off period. This period has saved his ass, and even escalated his popularity because after the heated attacks and accusations...we find some evidence to support his wild assertions (but at the same time NOT condoning his behavior and how he presented them). But over the last 3 weeks, Trump has been shooting his mouth off in much shorter periods with controversial statements, and it's overwhelming his support base who are trying to keep up.

Trumps success almost resembles the Monty Hall 3-door discussion. Where if you choose the same the door, you have a less chance of winning, but if you change decisions, you have a greater percentage of winning. If you look really close at the top candidates, there are similarities.

Trump might be preaching to a recent decrease in his choir...but the choir hasn't left the church. They just sat down in the front pews and are taking a breather.
At the moment, I'm pretty sure there's a goat behind every door.
Old 06-19-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Baaaa-aaa-aaad.
Old 06-19-16, 07:36 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
One thing that confuses me. I know Trump is hated by the minorities because they believe Trump is a racist. However all I can think is, if I were an immigrant who busted my ass to do everything by the book, and jumped through all the government hoops it seems I'd be for the stricter immigration policies. Or if I were an under-class working minority, I too be all for stricter border enforcement and no amnesty. I wouldn't want another million people in line for my job. I will admit I can only guess how they feel but just because someone is the same ethnicity as me doesn't mean they should be able to come over without doing the same work I did.
First, even if they got in the hard way, they might want changes to ease the path for their families and friends who haven't made it yet.

Second, I don't think that everyone has only their self interest in mind. For example, a lot of non-Muslims are upset at the Trump proposal to ban Muslims from US entry, even though that doesn't affect them directly.
Old 06-19-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clinton-Trump 2016

Old 06-19-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Donald Trump: U.S. must "start thinking about" racial profiling at CBSNews.com

Donald Trump said Sunday that in the wake of the mass shooting in Orlando, it's time for the United States to start looking at racial profiling as a preventative tactic.

"Well I think profiling is something that we're going to have to start thinking about as a country," the presumptive GOP nominee said in a phone interview with CBS' "Face the Nation. "Other countries do it, you look at Israel and you look at others, they do it and they do it successfully. And I hate the concept of profiling but we have to start using common sense and we have to use our heads."

"It's not the worst thing to do," he added.

Trump's comments come one week after 49 people were shot and killed in a gay nightclub in Orlando, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. Following the massacre, Trump renewed his calls for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the U.S., saying it would have prevented the attack despite the fact that shooter Omar Mateen was born in the U.S.

On Sunday, the GOP politician also said attacks like Orlando would stop if those in the Muslim community would "report" suspicious things.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.