Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-18-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

This obviously has digressed to a gun control debate however that is certainly going to be a major talking point this season.

Guns have been seized, but it has been from places like Nazi Germany.

Less than 2% of ALL crimes involve a military style weapon. Those used in mass shootings and national news style events are roughly .18%, so a fraction of 1% involve "assault weapons".
Old 06-18-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Crap, I thought this was the gun thread.
Old 06-18-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ith-lgbt-pitch

“Mr. Trump’s speech in New Hampshire was historic,” said Gregory T. Angelo, the executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay conservative group.

“Never before has the presumptive Republican nominee so directly and explicitly made an appeal to the LGBT community,” Angelo said. “Have we ever even had a nominee use the phrase 'LGBT'? I don’t think so. He’s showing leadership where others in the party were reluctant to even confront why those people [in Orlando] were targeted.”
Can't disagree with this. Republicans have been so anti-gay and phobic, I noticed myself how Trump was different from most Republican politicians.

Take note Paul Ryan. Take note, Cruz. Take note, Bush Babies. Take note, Kasich.
Old 06-18-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Why do you think an AR-16 cannot be manufactured? You'll need a new law, in addition to banning the AR-15. Call it an AS-15, then.
People aren't asking for a law that would ban guns called "AR-15". They want one that would ban guns with the characteristics of an AR-15.

AR-15-style weapons are not too dangerous.
There are a hundred some people in Orlando who would disagree with you.

Look at the stats. How many of those are in the homes of typical Americans, in the hands of law-abiding gun owners...who are doing just fine with them.

You make it sound like all AR-15 weapons are being used to shoot people.
Nobody is claiming that. The argument isn't about what percentage of AR-15 owners go on killing sprees, but how many people are killed by the ones who do.
Old 06-18-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
People aren't asking for a law that would ban guns called "AR-15". They want one that would ban guns with the characteristics of an AR-15.

There are a hundred some people in Orlando who would disagree with you.

Nobody is claiming that. The argument isn't about what percentage of AR-15 owners go on killing sprees, but how many people are killed by the ones who do.
Look up the statistics. Far, far more are killed every weekend in Chicago and the big cities with handguns which are banned than by military rifles in the whole country.
Old 06-18-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't disagree with this. Republicans have been so anti-gay and phobic, I noticed myself how Trump was different from most Republican politicians.

Take note Paul Ryan. Take note, Cruz. Take note, Bush Babies. Take note, Kasich.
It's actually pretty strange to see Trump claim to be better for "the gays" (as he calls us) than Hillary. Well it's batshit crazy to be honest. He will never will over the gay vote, besides the weirdo Log Cabin guys. As far as I've seen, he's still promising to overturn gay marriage. Which pretty much guarantees "the gays" will not vote for him.
Old 06-18-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Guns have been seized, but it has been from places like Nazi Germany.
Yeah, Australia is just like Nazi Germany.

Less than 2% of ALL crimes involve a military style weapon.
Nice try, but you don't get to count some guy holding up a 7-11 with a pistol in the same category as a nutjob murdering a few dozen people in an elementary school or nightclub. The issue under discussion are killing sprees, and the type of gun used is a huge factor in the death toll for those.
Old 06-18-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
It's actually pretty strange to see Trump claim to be better for "the gays" (as he calls us) than Hillary. Well it's batshit crazy to be honest. He will never will over the gay vote, besides the weirdo Log Cabin guys. As far as I've seen, he's still promising to overturn gay marriage. Which pretty much guarantees "the gays" will not vote for him.
Well, I hope Trump leaves the Republican Party. They'll be left with nothing. All this bullshit from some Republicans thinking they can rally Americans behind them is a joke.
Old 06-18-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Look up the statistics. Far, far more are killed every weekend in Chicago and the big cities with handguns which are banned than by military rifles in the whole country.
here's my view on that ( and I dont' know if this is shared by other people) but when I hear statistics about handguns in Chicago, I tend to think of it as a drug, or gang problem. Like, if I stay out of bad neighborhoods, and don't go out looking for drugs in Chicago, I won't end up one of those handgun statistics.

The AR-15 mass murders are freakier, though. Because they are mowing down people just going on with their normal lives. It makes you feel unsafe ANYWHERE.
Old 06-18-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's where education and familiarity are more successful than putting fear into a child's mind. Maybe if we had more familiarity with weapons, people wouldn't be so afraid, and might actually take the weapon away from those who would kill them.
Old 06-18-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Okay, here is good, fun Saturday fare for us all, and pretty much sums up this election.

World’s Largest ‘Fart-In’ Is Planned for Hillary Clinton’s Acceptance Speech in Philadelphia

It's asinine. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into a movement.
Old 06-18-16, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Get out.
Old 06-18-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

I feel shame. I suck so bad at puns. I generally can't even think of them. Like word jumbles. I can't do it. But I finally had one, and I'm so sorry.

On to other things. I don't have regular TV anymore, so I don't watch the news. So I don't know anything about Jake Tapper, other than he was mentioned in some other post but that's it. So take this how you will.

Old 06-18-16, 03:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Take note, Republicans. Trump isn't a Republican. Kudos to Trump, though, if he can change the party platform on LGBT issues.
Old 06-18-16, 03:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Ah, I was unaware of that. So much for Trump advancing the party of "the gay" issue.
Old 06-18-16, 03:30 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Okay, here is good, fun Saturday fare for us all, and pretty much sums up this election.

World’s Largest ‘Fart-In’ Is Planned for Hillary Clinton’s Acceptance Speech in Philadelphia

“We will be holding a massive bean supper for Bernie Sanders delegates on American Street in my Kensington neighborhood on the afternoon of July 28,” she said. “We are setting up a Clintonville there, modeled on the Hoovervilles of the 1930s where the poor and unemployed built shanty towns. The Sanders delegates, their bellies full of beans, will be able to return to the Wells Fargo Center and greet the rhetorical flatulence of Hillary Clinton with the real thing.”

Honkala said she would issue an invitation to Sanders to join the bean supper, which she is calling Beans for Hillary.
Maybe Sanders will shit his pants on stage.
Old 06-18-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never trust a fart.
Old 06-18-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Especially when the person farting is holding a fan!

Hey Ryan, I got something to tell yah. No, come closer, I can't hear you.
Old 06-18-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Ah, I was unaware of that. So much for Trump advancing the party of "the gay" issue.
Yeah ... Trumps "Ask the Gays" speech didn't get quite the response he was looking for ...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/6...and-it-is-EPIC

Last edited by joeblow69; 06-18-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah ... Trumps "Ask the Gays" speech didn't get quite the response he was looking for ...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/6...and-it-is-EPIC
Amazing how tone-deaf he can be. He obviously doesn't listen to advisers, if he even has any.
Old 06-18-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coming next: Ask the Hispanics!
Old 06-18-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This should be Trump's campaign poster:
Spoiler:

It does seem to be his strategy.
Old 06-19-16, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was dead on:

Old 06-19-16, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

?

You cannot ban something where you have no idea what the specs will be.
Any weapon designed to shoot more than a couple bullets per second. It's not that complicated.
Old 06-19-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I hope Trump leaves the Republican Party. They'll be left with nothing. All this bullshit from some Republicans thinking they can rally Americans behind them is a joke.
That would be fantastic. Something my friends and I have discussed many times. They would be caught with their pants down.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.