Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-15-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I correctly identified Hillary for what she is as you freaked the fuck out. But kudos to saying he isn't technically a Nazi

So, the racist or the anti-vax nut?

http://www.ageofautism.com/2008/03/obama-and-clint.html
How does supporting research into finding the cause of autism make one an "anti-vax nut"

You conveniently didn't highlight this part

and I will ensure that the NIH has the staff and funding to fully explore all possible causes of autism.
Old 06-15-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

like vaccines. You forgot that. She's a pandering old hag.
Old 06-15-16, 02:50 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, that's bullshit. She should roundly denounce anti-vaxxers, but most of them are liberal so she won't.
Old 06-15-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good lord, that's a link from over 8 years ago, and it's a questionnaire for her and then Senator Obama. And I hardly view the responses as pandering to anti-vaxxers. Neither one of them explicitly denounced anti-vaxxers, and neither of them supported them either, and merely suggested investigating possible environmental causes.

In 2008, the original scientific article (making the link) had not been fully retracted or discredited. But yes, she's a pandering old hag, grundle-dave. Feel free to read here to get some idea of dates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
Old 06-15-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anti-vaxxers are mostly liberal? Is there a study stating this?
Old 06-15-16, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I remember reading several prominent articles a few years back saying that most anti-vaxxers were liberals, but looking now I'm seeing conflicting data on the general demographics of the group, with some articles saying most are wealthy and white, while others saying the average only has a high school diploma, so it looks like it's a bit of a mix at this point.
Old 06-15-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's clueless, entitled idiots on both sides, trust me.
Old 06-15-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Probably thinking of the celebrity ones, which is what most of us think of. Shit, even DeNiro got his hand slapped with Tribeca this year for starting down the nati-vax path. They ultimately pulled "Vaxxed."
Old 06-15-16, 03:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I remember reading several prominent articles a few years back saying that most anti-vaxxers were liberals, but looking now I'm seeing conflicting data on the general demographics of the group, with some articles saying most are wealthy and white, while others saying the average only has a high school diploma, so it looks like it's a bit of a mix at this point.
There's a good Slate article about this.
The truth is anti-vaxxers are made up of liberals and conservatives.
All of which raises a question: When is an anti-science belief political? At the risk of tautology, it’s when it becomes an agenda item for the party in question. Neither vaccine skepticism nor its cousin, GMO skepticism, is a particular Republican or Democratic problem, because neither party advances policies or agendas around either concern. (Although, if either issue developed a distinct political constituency, that could happen, which is one critical reason we don’t want vaccination to become part of the partisan landscape.) By contrast, something like climate skepticism is a Republican problem—distinct from other anti-science beliefs—because of its huge currency in actual Republican politics. Sure, both parties have members with anti-science beliefs. But it’s the GOP that’s elevated a few of those beliefs to the party platform.
Old 06-15-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Good lord, that's a link from over 8 years ago, and it's a questionnaire for her and then Senator Obama. And I hardly view the responses as pandering to anti-vaxxers. Neither one of them explicitly denounced anti-vaxxers, and neither of them supported them either, and merely suggested investigating possible environmental causes.
You left it out as well. "...like vaccines." Merely

I'm merely saying that we ought to look at all the possibilities like Guided Evolution (GE), Intelligent Design (ID), and Evolution. That's all I'm merely saying. I'm not pandering to Young Earth Creationists, right? All I'm doing is what Hillary did.

But here's what I think. If you pander to people by bringing up vaccinations as something to look into for a cure for autism, you are no different than if you pander to the 6,000 year old earth people.

Merely.
Old 06-15-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You left it out as well. "...like vaccines." Merely

I'm merely saying that we ought to look at all the possibilities like Guided Evolution (GE), Intelligent Design (ID), and Evolution. That's all I'm merely saying. I'm not pandering to Young Earth Creationists, right? All I'm doing is what Hillary did.

But here's what I think. If you pander to people by bringing up vaccinations as something to look into for a cure for autism, you are no different than if you pander to the 6,000 year old earth people.

Merely.
Never mind, I was going to respond, but then I remembered this is Grundle-dave, and responding to that is futile.
Old 06-15-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

like vaccines. You forgot that. She's a pandering old hag.
By similar logic, Hillary supports investing in space exploration, therefore she believes in martians
Old 06-15-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Dan - Sorry.

I miss you. Seriously.
Old 06-15-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
By similar logic, Hillary supports investing in space exploration, therefore she believes in martians
I don't think you understand that. For yours to be true as a dig against me, it would have to mean that you are saying that Hillary really does (did) think vaccinations may have a link to autism, doesn't it? Walk me through the logic if you would.
Old 06-15-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

She supports investing in space exploration and therefore she believes in illegal aliens?
Old 06-15-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think you understand that. For yours to be true as a dig against me, it would have to mean that you are saying that Hillary really does (did) think vaccinations may have a link to autism, doesn't it? Walk me through the logic if you would.
I'm using YOUR logic not mine.
Old 06-15-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She and Obama both were asked a direct question about researching a link to vaccines. They both answered it vaguely in the affirmative, as a general "we need to research any possible causes". The only real difference is that Obama's answer didn't use the word vaccines and Hillary's did.

And again, this was 8 years ago, a couple of years before the Lancet article had been pulled and the author completely discredited.
Old 06-15-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dan - Sorry.

I miss you. Seriously.
Old 06-15-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm using YOUR logic not mine.
I don't think you are making the point you think you are making.
Old 06-15-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So we're just ignoring this:
The science is clear: The earth is round, the sky is blue, and #vaccineswork. Let's protect all our kids. #GrandmothersKnowBest
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

I mean, for fuck's sake -- Hillary has a 25+ year history of championing vaccines (and autism research too, but whatever). In "It Takes a Village," she touts the Vaccines for Children Bill passed duruing her husband's administration. But instead, we're going to pretend she's no different from Ben fucking Carson, who got on stage at a Republican debate and hemmed and hawed about whether parents should vaccinate their kids.

(Coming up next on DVDTalk: Hillary Clinton is a whore who's in the pocket of the big vaccine manufacturers)
Old 06-15-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Hillary Clinton is a whore who's in the pocket of the big vaccine manufacturers
Aaaaaaaand Dave has a new signature.
Old 06-15-16, 04:44 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So we're just ignoring this:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

I mean, for fuck's sake -- Hillary has a 25+ year history of championing vaccines (and autism research too, but whatever). In "It Takes a Village," she touts the Vaccines for Children Bill passed duruing her husband's administration. But instead, we're going to pretend she's no different from Ben fucking Carson, who got on stage at a Republican debate and hemmed and hawed about whether parents should vaccinate their kids.

(Coming up next on DVDTalk: Hillary Clinton is a whore who's in the pocket of the big vaccine manufacturers)
Given that I didn't know Dave's quote was from 8 years ago, I'd like to retract my comments.
Old 06-15-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There is, from what I've seen, quite a bit of political overlap in the anti-vaxxer thing. There are paranoids on both sides of the political spectrum.

The liberal anti-vaxxers tend to be the sort of new-agey, vegan, anti-gmo types, while the conservative anti-vaxxers tend to be Alex Jones, chemtrail crowd.
Old 06-15-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
Aaaaaaaand Dave has a new signature.
Note that someone was mod-scolded a few pages back for doing the same thing.
Old 06-15-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

at "grundle-dave"!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.