Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-15-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I wonder if they'll find secret recordings of Hillary fucking an intern on a State Dept mission?
Man, your love for her has you thinking about her naked. Take a break from politics, man. No one deserves that kink.
Old 06-15-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Stephen Colbert draws swastika to explain Trump

Calling anybody a Nazi should be reserved for groups like ISIS, where we have clear evidence of not only what they say, but the carnage of dead bodies all over the world, who were murdered just because of their being in a modern society. Being called a Nazi is not exclusive of just verbal expression.

But apparently Colbert thinks it is, and uses the disguise of humor and jest, to spread the message.

Once again, the people who accuse Trump of spreading fear...are the ones creating the fear themselves.
Old 06-15-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Calling anybody a Nazi should be reserved for groups like ISIS, where we have clear evidence of not only what they say, but the carnage of dead bodies all over the world, who were murdered just because of their being in a modern society. Being called a Nazi is not exclusive of just verbal expression.

But apparently Colbert thinks it is, and uses the disguise of humor and jest, to spread the message.

Once again, the people who accuse Trump of spreading fear...are the ones creating the fear themselves.
Wait, I thought you could say whatever you want as long as it's a joke.
Old 06-15-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jesus, you should qualify for this summer's olympics with that sort of [mental] gymnastics.

Colbert's not inciting fear, but using humor to point out how Trump is, and how Trump is actually using the Nazi playbook in doing so. Turning it around on Colbert is straight up intellectual dishonesty.
Old 06-15-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Man, your love for her has you thinking about her naked. Take a break from politics, man. No one deserves that kink.
Yeah? So!

Old 06-15-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Jesus, you should qualify for this summer's olympics with that sort of [mental] gymnastics.

Colbert's not inciting fear, but using humor to point out how Trump is, and how Trump is actually using the Nazi playbook in doing so. Turning it around on Colbert is straight up intellectual dishonesty.
Oh, ok. So, as long as you're using humor, hahaha, it's ok?

Explain this Nazi Playbook, everyone is talking about. Spreading fear is probably in this book, right?

Isn't Colbert doing exactly this? Aren't others doing exactly this? "Trump is evil and dangerous!" compared to "Jews are evil and dangerous!"

But wait. That can't be. Because that just doesn't fit the Democrat mold, does it.

The fact is, you can make anyone look like a Nazi because that's how stupid this Nazi Playbook is. Any statement that is directed at a certain group of people...is NAZI. So, hey, fill in the blanks, and spread the disinformation.

And if somebody like me says, "Hey, wait a minute. You're doing exactly what your Nazi Playbook says," all a person has to do is say, "Wrong! You just don't understand. You're not as intellectually privileged as WE ARE."

But whatever. This Nazi Label formula is so predictable, I think even many Liberals are getting tired of it. How so? Because Obama had to come out of his cave and actually say a few words that he would never say...unless he thought...he was losing support from his own people.

Keep up the Nazi labels on people. Keep on preaching the fear. A party that continues to accuse the other of Nazi tactics...will end up being the Nazis themselves. Kinda reminds me of the Christian Pastors who preach sinful people will burn in hell for their sinful ways, and then we find out those very same people are committing those acts.
Old 06-15-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a pun. The fact that it got you so riled up just means that it has uncomfortable truths you don't like to be confronted with. Good news is that means you're not a complete monster, at least on the subconscious level.
Old 06-15-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, ok. So, as long as you're using humor, hahaha, it's ok?.
I'm not sure why you think that telling racist jokes is okay (as long as the person doesn't BELIEVE it) but a comedian comparing Trump to Nazis isn't. Doesn't Colbert get a pass if he doesn't BELIEVE it?

Oh wait, he's making fun of Trump. Now it makes sense.
Old 06-15-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't Colbert doing exactly this? Aren't others doing exactly this? "Trump is evil and dangerous!" compared to "Jews are evil and dangerous!"
JFC, are you in some sort of contest to try to say the stupidest thing possible? Because if so, you win.
Old 06-15-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hi JasonF!
Old 06-15-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm not sure why you think that telling racist jokes is okay (as long as the person doesn't BELIEVE it) but a comedian comparing Trump to Nazis isn't. Doesn't Colbert get a pass if he doesn't BELIEVE it?
You are a sly one.

I think we already established jokes were not inherently racist, and that racism is a belief system. I'm not accusing Colbert of being racist. I'm talking about spreading fear, disguised as humor, and using a symbol that shouldn't be used to willingly and wantingly for anyone who says something "controversial".
Old 06-15-16, 11:23 AM
Banned by request

Colbert didn't say something controversial. People correctly identified Trump as a proto-fascist months ago. Technically Trump isn't a Nazi in that the Nazis were a specific party in Germany in the mid-20th century, but the accusations of fascism are correct and non-controversial, although I guess at a time where vaccines, evolution, and global warming are hotly disputed, any fact can be made controversial.
Old 06-15-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to a new ABC/Washington Post poll, Donald Trump's unfavorability rating is at 70%, with a favorability rating of 29%. That's a net of -41%.

The most important part of the poll is that Trump's net favorability is dropping. It's not just that it's bad, it's increasingly bad. Despite a lot of hand-wringing, it turns out that Donald Trump is not mysteriously invulnerable to attacks like some seemed to believe, and that it had ceiling that it has apparently reached.
Old 06-15-16, 11:44 AM
Banned by request

I'm still holding out hope that the RNC goes nuclear and unbinds their delegates. I doubt they will, because that would be the equivalent of handing the Democrats all three branches of government, but this election has already been so topsy-turvy that I could see it happening.
Old 06-15-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi JasonF!
Trump said:
"Our government is led by a man who is a very — look guys, we're led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he's got something else in mind. And the something else in mind, people can't believe it. There's something going on. It's inconceivable."

What is this "something else" going on? Why doesn't he man-up and flat out say that he thinks that President Obama is a sleeper terrorist?

This is the type of innuendo that disproves the claim that Trump "tells it like it is".
Old 06-15-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are a sly one.

I think we already established jokes were not inherently racist, and that racism is a belief system. I'm not accusing Colbert of being racist. I'm talking about spreading fear, disguised as humor, and using a symbol that shouldn't be used to willingly and wantingly for anyone who says something "controversial".
Telling a racist joke perpetuates a stereotype. Sometimes those stereotypes are hurtful and damaging. But it's okay for a comedian to spread those?

So it's fine for a TV personality to say that Mexicans are inherently stupid but it's "spreading fear" for a comedian to call Trump a Nazi?
Old 06-15-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'm still holding out hope that the RNC goes nuclear and unbinds their delegates. I doubt they will, because that would be the equivalent of handing the Democrats all three branches of government, but this election has already been so topsy-turvy that I could see it happening.
same here.... fuck it... even if they lose the presidency, just dont stand behind this idiot
Old 06-15-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
same here.... fuck it... even if they lose the presidency, just dont stand behind this idiot
That could threaten their majority in the senate, and they do not want to lose that, even if it means not getting the presidency.
Old 06-15-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That could threaten their majority in the senate, and they do not want to lose that, even if it means not getting the presidency.
If they replace Trump with an "establishment politician" they're not gong to win anyway. You think most Trump voters are going to vote for someone who stole his nomination?
Old 06-15-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
If they replace Trump with an "establishment politician" they're not gong to win anyway. You think most Trump voters are going to vote for someone who stole his nomination?
Agreed. They've made this bed, now they have to lie in it. That's why so many Repubs are "supporting" Trump (despite disagreeing with lots of things he says). They don't have any other choice.
Old 06-15-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Nixon's corruption wasn't limited to tape OR coverups. Are you actually trying to compare Richard Nixon to Hillary Clinton?

Originally Posted by Nixon
“The Jews have certain traits. The Irish have certain — for example, the Irish can’t drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I’ve known gets mean when he drinks. Particularly the real Irish. The Italians, of course, those people course don’t have their heads screwed on tight. They are wonderful people, but the Jews are just a very aggressive and abrasive and obnoxious personality.”
Well, there go his chances of getting a gig with Fox Sports Florida.
Old 06-15-16, 02:16 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The GOP already knows their chances of winning the presidency at this point is slim. The question is will Trump help or hurt Congressional downticket races? If they unbound the delegates and brought in a less outrageous presidential candidate, would that candidate then be able to help out others running for Congressional seats? As of right now, a lot of Senators and Representatives up for re-election are feeling like they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

However, if the RNC does release the delegates to nominate someone else, they're guaranteed to lose a huge amount of Trump voters. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 06-15-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to a new ABC/Washington Post poll, Donald Trump's unfavorability rating is at 70%, with a favorability rating of 29%. That's a net of -41%.

The most important part of the poll is that Trump's net favorability is dropping. It's not just that it's bad, it's increasingly bad. Despite a lot of hand-wringing, it turns out that Donald Trump is not mysteriously invulnerable to attacks like some seemed to believe, and that it had ceiling that it has apparently reached.
And 55% of respondents said they would NEVER vote for Donald Trump.
Old 06-15-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to RCP poll, sex is #1 thing on American minds. 3-way, even!
Old 06-15-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Colbert didn't say something controversial. People correctly identified Trump as a proto-fascist months ago. Technically Trump isn't a Nazi in that the Nazis were a specific party in Germany in the mid-20th century, but the accusations of fascism are correct and non-controversial, although I guess at a time where vaccines, evolution, and global warming are hotly disputed, any fact can be made controversial.
I correctly identified Hillary for what she is as you freaked the fuck out. But kudos to saying he isn't technically a Nazi

So, the racist or the anti-vax nut?

http://www.ageofautism.com/2008/03/obama-and-clint.html

Do you think vaccines should be investigated as a possible cause of autism?

I am committed to make investments to find the causes of autism, including possible environmental causes like vaccines. I have long been a supporter of increased research to determine the links between environmental factors and diseases, and I believe we should increase the NIH's ability to engage in this type of research. My administration will be committed to improving research to support fact-based solutions, and I will ensure that the NIH has the staff and funding to fully explore all possible causes of autism.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.