Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-14-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Like referring to ISIL when everyone else calls them ISIS...
No not everyone else. There are prominent Republicans who also use ISIL instead of ISIS. There's a whole conspiracy theory around the use of ISIL vs ISIS.

Clearly the reason why President Obama has refrained from using the phrase "radical Islam" or similar phrases that include "Islam" is frankly, because of the lack of critical thinking and/or intellectual honesty on the part of many Republicans and conservatives.

Just look at Trump's position on terrorism and his response to the Orlando tragedy. There is no distinction made between "radical Islam" and "moderate Islam".... ban ALL Muslims! Even those who are born American citizens. "We have to ban all of them until we figure out what's going on."

We saw the same thing with immigration. The "illegal" qualifier was initially used to support their position, but it was just a ruse. When they used the phrase "illegal immigrants" they were specifically talking about "brown people regardless of where they came from, and regardless of whether they are citizens or not".
Old 06-14-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Found a video of Trump giving a speech:

Spoiler:
Old 06-14-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Dick is a fantastic movie, I'm surprised more people here haven't seen it.
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Always looked like a chick flick to me.
It is, but in a good way. Like when one of the girls (I forget which one, it's been a LONG time since I saw it) leaves a rambling declaration of love on Nixon's tape recorder. For 18 1/2 minutes.
Old 06-14-16, 02:36 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
It is, but in a good way. Like when one of the girls (I forget which one, it's been a LONG time since I saw it) leaves a rambling declaration of love on Nixon's tape recorder. For 18 1/2 minutes.
Spoilers!
Old 06-14-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
That's great and all but keeping Assad is not destroying ISIL in Iraq.
No, they're destroying ISIS in Syria. If they started operating in Iraq, the US would pitch a fit -- hell, we pitched a fit when they went into Syria, but we couldn't do anything about it because they were invited by Assad.
Old 06-14-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
What are you talking about? Trump said that they should increase airstrikes, and the Pentagon replied that they are doing as much as they can.

Is there some specific target that Trump and you think should be bombed, but is not now, aside from the generic "ISIS target?"
He obviously knows more than the Pentagon just based on this quote

DONALD TRUMP: I said I don't want to really tell you, but I realized I had to because I'm getting killed by these people [in the media] who say "Trump doesn't have a plan for ISIS!"

I said no, I have a plan but I don't want to tell ISIS what it is, because I'm going to win...

People are thinking like I don't have a plan, I hate doing it. So I was on one of the shows, and I said:

ISIS is making a tremendous amount of money because of the oil that they took away, they have some in Syria, they have some in Iraq, I would bomb the shit out of them.

I would just bomb those suckers, and that's right, I'd blow up the pipes, I'd blow up the refineries, I'd blow up ever single inch, there would be nothing left.

And you know what, you'll get Exxon to come in there, and in two months, you ever see these guys? How good they are, the great oil companies, they'll rebuild it brand new... And I'll take the oil.
Have we ever had a presidential candidate that refers to US military activities in the first person "I'd bomb those suckers, I'd blow up the pipes" etc?
Old 06-14-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Have we ever had a presidential candidate that refers to US military activities in the first person "I'd bomb those suckers, I'd blow up the pipes" etc?
There's no "I" in team, but Donald Trump knows there's an "M" and and "E", and that's all he needs to know.
Old 06-14-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dick is a fantastic movie, I'm surprised more people here haven't seen it.
The title is off-putting.
Old 06-14-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Trump thinks "bombing the shit out of their oil" is an actual "plan", he's even more far gone than I thought.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
The title is off-putting.
Go to a store and ask for it by name;
"do you have Dick?"
Get a bunch of copies in a bag, and you'll have a bag of Dicks.
Old 06-14-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spoilers!
Am I spoiling the movie? Or the truth behind the Watergate scandal?
Old 06-14-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
If you look at the reasoning behind both, ISIL is definitely the more intelligent term to use. AND as the article states, its hard to believe one can denote an entire foreign policy from an acronym.
From this point forward, ISIS, when mentioned, is also referring to ISIL and D'ouche.
Old 06-14-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
There's no "I" in team, but Donald Trump knows there's an "M" and and "E", and that's all he needs to know.
Imagine if Obama had once, just once said something like "I'm gonna bomb those suckers".
Old 06-14-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ISIS would not have been happy. They would have threatened Americans and their destruction.
Old 06-14-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...igation-224314

TL;DR Judge Sullivan read the secret details of the Pagliano immunity agreement. He can't speak about those details, but he did confirm that the immunity was given in the FBI's "criminal investigation." The deposition can be videotaped, but it cannot be released for now. So we'll all have to wait for that riveting footage of, "I take the 5th" for hours on end.

Honest question, should I just make a one and only thread Hillary's emails? If that would please the majority, I can certainly do it and people can ignore it.
Old 06-14-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That might be a good idea. And anyone who wants to read about it, like myself, can. Instead of reading all the whining and complaining of Tainting of The Virgin Queen whenever you make a post, this might work.

Have to admit on reading some of the emails on wikileaks...since the content has been declassified, it's pointless to even have the emails. I never could understand why Republicans made such a big deal about emails being released...because if they actually read them...everything's been stripped out of the body of the email, other than "See you at the meeting", or a shitload of forwarding protocols, linking to various news articles from Liberal and Conservative sources.
Old 06-14-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
That might be a good idea. And anyone who wants to read about it, like myself, can. Instead of reading all the whining and complaining of Tainting of The Virgin Queen whenever you make a post, this might work.
It is possible to not care about the emails, support Clinton, and not think she's "The Virgin Queen".
Old 06-14-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's not too difficult. Try this: demonstrating interest about the emails, and still supporting Hillary.

That would be more difficult, wouldn't it? Because that would show, not only do you have genuine concern about the email issue, but you also still support the candidate.

To simply not care about the emails and continue support...takes no effort.
Old 06-14-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-14-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's not too difficult. Try this: demonstrating interest about the emails, and still supporting Hillary.

That would be more difficult, wouldn't it? Because that would show, not only do you have genuine concern about the email issue, but you also still support the candidate.

To simply not care about the emails and continue support...takes no effort.
But...I don't care about the emails. Like...at all. I can't even feign interest.
Old 06-14-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ISIS would not have been happy. They would have threatened Americans and their destruction.
I already posted this in the Obama thread, but since you keep beating the drum of him not doing anything against isis, here it is from the horses mouth, and he also address how plainly stupid Trump is as well.

[start at 52:30]

Old 06-14-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
But...I don't care about the emails. Like...at all. I can't even feign interest.
But don't you understand? This is as big as Travelgate!

Why, if the investigation continues long enough, they're certain to find a serious violation of the law.
Old 06-14-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree the e-mail stuff warrants a separate thread. And for the record, I plan on voting for Hillary because Trump is a dangerous fool, but I am interested in what--if anything--will come of the FBI investigation.

On a different note, I have had CNN on all afternoon and obviously they are talking all about the Orlando shootings. But I am surprised they haven't said much of anything about the Washington DC primary. Perhaps they will later as the polls close. I know it makes no real difference in the overall delegate situation, but this Orlando tragedy has diverted attention from any final hurrah the Sanders campaign could hope to make with today's primary. CNN did show Sanders speaking today, first about Orlando and then into his usual talking points.

And on yet another note, how about the clusterfuck happening on reddit lately? I mean, for a while now the /r/all page has been cluttered with thread after thread from the Sanders and Trump subreddits. The Sanders stuff quieted down a lot after the California primary, but the Trump zealots have been apparently upvoting all their /r/The_Donald shit like crazy. Thank you to whomever mentioned (in this thread, I think?) the RES extension that lets you filter out subreddits from /r/all. It's made going there much better.
Old 06-14-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bombing the shit out of ISIS is not a plan. Whatever plan you come up with needs to be based on a current assessment of the situation on the ground in Iraq and Syria. And Trump and his supporters don't have a friggin' clue what the current situation is and they don't care.

I mean, it's not that hard, all you need to do is google "Iraq ISIS" to at least get some idea:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...q+isis&tbm=nws

- Fallujah is about to fall (out of the hands of ISIS). An exit route for civilians has been secured and ISIS fighters are now trying to blend in with civilians so they can escape. 450+ ISIS fighters have been captured in the past two days trying to do just that.

- Mosul is the other important city. Again, a few days ago, the Iraqi army was able to retake a town 50 km from Mosul which had been occupied by ISIS since 2014. US Apache helicopters played a part in that.

- ISIS in Iraq has seen it's cash reserves dwindle, because of strikes on oil infrastructures they control. Reports have stated that they have been reduced to thieving, stealing gold, etc.

- The number of ISIS fighters is at it's lowest since 2014. At least 120 high ranking ISIS commanders have been killed.

- Some military/security analysts are saying that mounting ISIS battlefield losses may result in more "lone wolf" attacks used as "distractions".

The notion that "nothing is being done against ISIS" is just ridiculous.
Old 06-14-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

some of you have over a 1,000 posts in just this thread. Have you figured anything out yet?
Old 06-14-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The notion that "(Replace this text with any idea Trump proposes)" is just ridiculous.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.