Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-14-16, 10:35 AM
  #16651  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Trump revokes Washington Post's press credentials

They were <strike>mean to him</strike> truthful about the things he said, so fuck the first amendment.
slop101 is online now  
Old 06-14-16, 10:35 AM
  #16652  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,774
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Trump revokes Washington Post's press credentials

They were <strike>mean to him</strike> truthful about the things he said, so fuck the first amendment.
What a fucking crybaby.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 10:38 AM
  #16653  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,216
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

This has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment.

They can still print any story they want. And Trump will still comment on WP as much as he wants.

It was a dumb idea to do this by Trump, but it's no 1st Amendment issue.

As noted earlier, the WH has threatened other reporters to retract their stories or face the same revoking of credentials.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 10:39 AM
  #16654  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
As to the Pentagon stating to Trump more airstrikes won't help...

Apparently, the US led an airstrike as early as this last Sunday in Raqqa (which is a key area to INCREASE airstrikes by the way), potentially killing the supreme shithead known as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

And the Pentagon just commented to Trump over the weekend that increasing air strikes is not advised?
Because they are already DOING THEM for two years. The orangeman believes Obama isn't doing anything (in his defense, neither do the rest of the Repubs) when they've been pounding them relentlessly.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 10:56 AM
  #16655  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
This has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment.

They can still print any story they want. And Trump will still comment on WP as much as he wants.

It was a dumb idea to do this by Trump, but it's no 1st Amendment issue.

As noted earlier, the WH has threatened other reporters to retract their stories or face the same revoking of credentials.
Since he's running for fucking president, this is as good a barometer as any that shows how he'll treat the press, and therefore the 1st Amendment.
slop101 is online now  
Old 06-14-16, 10:58 AM
  #16656  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Since he's running for fucking president, this is as good a barometer as any that shows how he'll treat the press, and therefore the 1st Amendment.
At least he has press conferences.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 10:59 AM
  #16657  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Nixon's corruption wasn't limited to tape OR coverups. Are you actually trying to compare Richard Nixon to Hillary Clinton?
Oh God no! He'll be considered a saint compared to her when this is done.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:01 AM
  #16658  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,216
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
At least he has press conferences.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:06 AM
  #16659  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,216
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Because they are already DOING THEM for two years. The orangeman believes Obama isn't doing anything (in his defense, neither do the rest of the Repubs) when they've been pounding them relentlessly.
So why would the Pentagon (or possibly former Pentagon officials, come to think of it as I'm not sure this was an official statement from them) say that increasing airstrikes won't work?

Not only does their statement contradict what they told Trump, but it's looking like it's just playing political favorites. And I'm not talking pro-Obama, either. There's a lot of pro-Jebbers as well.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:07 AM
  #16660  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Because they are bombing all the targets they find necessary to target already. What else does Trump want to bomb?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:08 AM
  #16661  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Because they are bombing all the targets they find necessary to target already. What else does Trump want to bomb?
Women and children.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:10 AM
  #16662  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,039
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So why would the Pentagon (or possibly former Pentagon officials, come to think of it as I'm not sure this was an official statement from them) say that increasing airstrikes won't work?
It's not an increase. It's not like they wouldn't have conducted that airstrike until they read about it on DVDTalk or heard from military experts like Trump.
Psi is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:11 AM
  #16663  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Women and children.
Everything indicates we're already getting them.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:14 AM
  #16664  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Imagine is Obama actually WAS doing nothing?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:17 AM
  #16665  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,060
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Well, Trump did say we have to take out their families.

He's had a longstanding grudge against the Washington Post, saying Bezos just bought the paper so he could have a forum against Internet taxes. Amazon's position against taxes has shifted in recent years but Trump's talking point hasn't.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:18 AM
  #16666  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,990
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I honestly love you.
I love Dick. Wait a second...

Seriously, I think it is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. It's brilliant and waaaay underrated.
movielib is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:26 AM
  #16667  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Everything indicates we're already getting them.
Yeah but Trump wants to do it on purpose.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:30 AM
  #16668  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,906
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So why would the Pentagon (or possibly former Pentagon officials, come to think of it as I'm not sure this was an official statement from them) say that increasing airstrikes won't work?
Do you really not understand how doing more of something might not be the best idea?
Draven is online now  
Old 06-14-16, 11:33 AM
  #16669  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,216
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
It's not an increase. It's not like they wouldn't have conducted that airstrike until they read about it on DVDTalk or heard from military experts like Trump.
Well, it kinda is. The Obama Administration announced back in February...they were increasing airstrikes.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...sed-airstrike/

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Obama administration has “significantly” increased its air strikes against the Islamic State branch in Afghanistan since the president granted commanders broader authority last month to target the jihadist group there, a U.S. military spokesman said on Thursday.
Just saying we have a contradiction of statements.

And if you don't like Breitbart, here's another link:

http://www.infowars.com/general-u-s-...islamic-state/

The Obama administration has “significantly” increased its air strikes against the Islamic State branch in Afghanistan since the president granted commanders broader authority last month to target the jihadist group there, a U.S. military spokesman said on Thursday.
We have significantly increased our pressure on Daesh in Afghanistan, particularly in the Nangarhar province. That has had an effect, but it’s not just U.S. airstrikes that are having an effect,” Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner, a U.S. military spokesman, said in a briefing to Pentagon reporters Wednesday, using the Arabic acronym to refer to the Islamic State. “It’s Afghanistan – Afghan security forces that have been putting pressure on Daesh for sometime now. So it’s a combination of all of that that has Daesh relatively contained in the southern part of Nangarhar province.”
If you (a Pentagon or its sources) are going to retort somebody who comes off as stupid and doesn't know anything about warfare...make sure you don't come off looking even more stupid and even more unaware.

After all, wouldn't they know themselves if they had increased air strikes in the past? I would hope so.

As noted, air strikes alone are not the only effective measure. However, an increase in air strikes...cannot be said to be ineffective unless there is information to support that, and if there was...why did the Obama Administration increase air strikes.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-14-16 at 11:38 AM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:40 AM
  #16670  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,039
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Maybe it's an increase over January levels. Is it an increase over June, which is what the Pentagon is talking about?
Psi is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 11:48 AM
  #16671  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,216
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Well, it could be, and my point is, and it's strictly a logical argument that I'm confused on why the Pentagon even decided to reach out to Trump. Because when you say an increase in resources, you don't know if they aren't effective...until you increase those resources and look back at the results.

So, when the Pentagon said what they did, I just don't understand it, because then they are implying their own military strategy has not worked...in the midst of their reports saying they were effective.

You see how they got themselves painted in a corner? It was just a dumb statement. I won't say Trump is a master of military strategy, but shit, just from reading past statements by US Military officials...an increase in air strikes worked. So, I think that's where Trump got his information, which is readily available to anyone.

Now, we can split hairs and say this Orlando terrorist has nothing to do with ISIS, but do we really need to split hairs, only because Trump is the guy saying we need an increase in air strikes? I don't think we do.

This is why I think the retort to Trump was mostly political, and nothing else, which goes to how much non-military influence is floating around in military circles. But of course, most people won't remember this stuff and will only remember the "Pentagon Rebukes Trump" headline.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 12:15 PM
  #16672  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,729
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Russian government hackers penetrated DNC, stole opposition research on Trump
By Ellen Nakashima
June 14 at 11:30 AM

Russian government hackers penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee and gained access to the entire database of opposition research on GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump, according to committee officials and security experts who responded to the breach.

The intruders so thoroughly compromised the DNC’s system that they also were able to read all email and chat traffic, said DNC officials and the security experts.

The intrusion into the DNC was one of several targeting American political organizations. The networks of presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were also targeted by Russian spies, as were the computers of some GOP political action committees, U.S. officials said. But details on those cases were not available.

A Russian Embassy spokesman said he had no knowledge of such intrusions.

Some of the hackers had access to the DNC network for about a year, but all were expelled over the past weekend in a major computer cleanup campaign, the committee officials and experts said.

The DNC said that no financial, donor or personal information appears to have been accessed or taken, suggesting that the breach was traditional espionage, not the work of criminal hackers.

The intrusions are an example of Russia’s interest in the U.S. political system and its desire to understand the policies, strengths and weaknesses of a potential future president — much as American spies gather similar information on foreign candidates and leaders.

The depth of the penetration reflects the skill and determination of the United States’ top cyber adversary as Russia goes after strategic targets, from the White House and State Department to political campaign organizations.

“It’s the job of every foreign intelligence service to collect intelligence against their adversaries,” said Shawn Henry, president of CrowdStrike, the cyber firm called in to handle the DNC breach and a former head of the FBI’s cyber division. He noted that it is extremely difficult for a civilian organization to protect itself from a skilled and determined state such as Russia.

“We’re perceived as an adversary of Russia,” he said. “Their job when they wake up every day is to gather intelligence against the policies, practices and strategies of the U.S. government. There are a variety of ways. [Hacking] is one of the more valuable because it gives you a treasure trove of information.”

Russian President Vladimir Putin has spoken favorably about Trump, who has called for better relations with Russia and expressed skepticism about NATO. But unlike Clinton, whom the Russians probably have long had in their spy sights, Trump has not been a politician for very long, so foreign agencies are playing catch-up, analysts say.

“The purpose of such intelligence gathering is to understand the target’s proclivities,” said Robert Deitz, former senior councillor to the CIA director and a former general counsel at the National Security Agency. “Trump’s foreign investments, for example, would be relevant to understanding how he would deal with countries where he has those investments” should he be elected, Deitz said. “They may provide tips for understanding his style of negotiating. In short, this sort of intelligence could be used by Russia, for example, to indicate where it can get away with foreign adventurism.”

Other analysts noted that any dirt dug up in opposition research is likely to be made public anyway. Nonetheless, DNC leadership acted quickly after the intrusion’s discovery to contain the damage.

“The security of our system is critical to our operation and to the confidence of the campaigns and state parties we work with,” said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), the DNC chairwoman. “When we discovered the intrusion, we treated this like the serious incident it is and reached out to CrowdStrike immediately. Our team moved as quickly as possible to kick out the intruders and secure our network.”

The Clinton campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokeswoman for the Trump campaign referred questions to the Secret Service.

DNC leaders were tipped to the hack in late April. Chief executive officer Amy Dacey got a call from her operations chief saying that their information technology team had noticed some unusual network activity.

“It’s never a call any executive wants to get, but the IT team knew something was awry,” Dacey said. And they knew it was serious enough that they wanted experts to investigate.

That evening, she spoke with Michael Sussmann, a DNC lawyer who is a partner with Perkins Coie in Washington. Soon after, Sussmann, a former federal prosecutor who handled computer crime cases, called Henry, whom he has known for many years.

Within 24 hours, CrowdStrike had installed software on the DNC’s computers so that it could analyze audit data that could indicate who had gained access, when and how.

The firm identified two separate hacker groups, both working for the Russian government, that had infiltrated the network, said Dmitri Alperovitch, CrowdStrike co-founder and chief technology officer. The firm had analyzed other breaches by both groups over the last two years.

One group, which CrowdStrike had dubbed Cozy Bear, had gained access last summer and was monitoring the DNC’s email and chat communications, Alperovitch said.

The other, which the firm had named Fancy Bear, broke into the network in late April and targeted the opposition research files. It was this breach that set off the alarm. The hackers stole two files, Henry said. And they had access to the computers of the entire research staff — an average of about several dozen on any given day.


The computers contained research going back years on Trump. “It’s a huge job” to dig into the dealings of somebody who has never run for office before, Dacey said.

CrowdStrike is not sure how the hackers got in. The firm suspects they may have targeted DNC employees with “spearphishing” emails. These are communications that appear legitimate — often made to look like they came from a colleague or someone trusted — but that contain links or attachments that when clicked on deploy malicious software that enables a hacker to gain access to a computer. “But we don’t have hard evidence,” Alperovitch said.

The two groups did not appear to be working together, Alperovitch said. Fancy Bear is believed to work for the GRU, or Russia’s military intelligence service, he said. CrowdStrike is less sure of whom Cozy Bear works for but thinks it might be the Federal Security Service or FSB, the country’s powerful security agency, which was once headed by Putin.

The lack of coordination is not unusual, he said. “There’s an amazing adversarial relationship” among the Russian intelligence agencies, Alperovitch said. “We have seen them steal assets from one another, refuse to collaborate. They’re all vying for power, to sell Putin on how good they are.”

The two crews have “superb operational tradecraft,” he said. They often use previously unknown software bugs — known as “zero-day” vulnerabilities — to compromise applications. In the DNC’s case, the hackers constantly switched tactics to maintain a stealthy presence inside the network and used built-in Windows tools so that they didn’t have to resort to malicious code that might trigger alerts. “They flew under the radar,” Alperovitch said.

The two groups have hacked government agencies, tech companies, defense contractors, energy and manufacturing firms, and universities in the United States, Canada and Europe as well as in Asia, he said.

Cozy Bear, for instance, compromised the unclassified email systems of the White House, State Department and Joint Chiefs of Staff in 2014, Alperovitch said.

“This is a sophisticated foreign intelligence service with a lot of time, a lot of resources, and is interested in targeting the U.S. political system,” Henry said. He said the DNC was not engaged in a fair fight. “You’ve got ordinary citizens who are doing hand-to-hand combat with trained military officers,” he said. “And that’s an untenable situation.”

Russia has always been a formidable foe in cyberspace, but in the last two years “there’s been a thousand-fold increase in its espionage campaign against the West,” said Alperovitch, who is also a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council. “They feel under siege.”

Western sanctions, imposed after Russia’s annexation of Crimea in Ukraine, have hurt the economy and led the government to increase its theft of intellectual property to limit the impact of import restrictions, he said. And Russia’s growing isolation has increased the need for intelligence to understand and influence political decisions in other countries, he added.

CrowdStrike is continuing the forensic investigation, DNC lawyer Sussmann said. “But at this time, it appears that no financial information or sensitive employee, donor or voter information was accessed by the Russian attackers,” he said.

The firm has installed special software on every computer and server in the network to detect any efforts by the Russian cyber spies to break in again. “When they get kicked out of the system,” Henry predicted, “they’re going to try to come back in.”

Tom Hamburger contributed to this report.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7a0_story.html

It was previously stated that the security logs on Clinton's homebrew server showed no evidence of foreign hacking. These hacks by the Russians on the DNC's network and database show that they are much more sophisticated than that and to suppose that Clinton's homebrew server was not similarly targeted and <s>hacked</s> breached is absurd.
wishbone is online now  
Old 06-14-16, 12:21 PM
  #16673  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,906
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, it could be, and my point is, and it's strictly a logical argument that I'm confused on why the Pentagon even decided to reach out to Trump. Because when you say an increase in resources, you don't know if they aren't effective...until you increase those resources and look back at the results.

So, when the Pentagon said what they did, I just don't understand it, because then they are implying their own military strategy has not worked...in the midst of their reports saying they were effective.

You see how they got themselves painted in a corner? It was just a dumb statement. I won't say Trump is a master of military strategy, but shit, just from reading past statements by US Military officials...an increase in air strikes worked. So, I think that's where Trump got his information, which is readily available to anyone.

Now, we can split hairs and say this Orlando terrorist has nothing to do with ISIS, but do we really need to split hairs, only because Trump is the guy saying we need an increase in air strikes? I don't think we do.

This is why I think the retort to Trump was mostly political, and nothing else, which goes to how much non-military influence is floating around in military circles. But of course, most people won't remember this stuff and will only remember the "Pentagon Rebukes Trump" headline.
Couldn't it be as simple as them getting to the correct level of airstrikes to be the most effective? Trump is calling for an increase on top of their increase.

Also, doesn't all of this rebuke the "Obama has done NOTHING!!!!!" criticisms?
Draven is online now  
Old 06-14-16, 12:28 PM
  #16674  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7a0_story.html

It was previously stated that the security logs on Clinton's homebrew server showed no evidence of foreign hacking. These hacks by the Russians on the DNC's network and database show that they are much more sophisticated than that and to suppose that Clinton's homebrew server was not similarly targeted and <s>hacked</s> breached is absurd.


Yeah, but it was allowed! And it wasn't on purpose and the law says you have to do it on purpose. And Colin Powell. And 9/11.

Personally, if it was just a mistake and the Russians and Chinese had access to our Secretary of State's emails for 4 years, we should just let her be president anyway because you hate women.

God, that is a perfect story. Sophisticated people get hit. Hillary didn't by everyone?

People need to get their rationale in order about why she should still be president after it is shown that because of her own stupidity, pride, and need to keep her political affairs away from FOIA requests, she unwittingly let most every country know what was going on at the highest level of our government.

But I agree, none of that sounds like it should disqualify her from office. She's one smart cookie.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 06-14-16, 12:39 PM
  #16675  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,039
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, it could be, and my point is, and it's strictly a logical argument that I'm confused on why the Pentagon even decided to reach out to Trump. Because when you say an increase in resources, you don't know if they aren't effective...until you increase those resources and look back at the results.
What are you talking about? Trump said that they should increase airstrikes, and the Pentagon replied that they are doing as much as they can.

Is there some specific target that Trump and you think should be bombed, but is not now, aside from the generic "ISIS target?"
Psi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.