Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-13-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
I read a few news articles over the weekend and couldn't believe the absurdity of comments sections, so I decided to venture out in search of a more reasonable discourse.

I didn't know what i would find when i thought of this place and typed in the url. I half expected it to be completely unrecognizable. It warms my heart to see you guys here, still carrying the torch.
Glad to have you back! For sure, this is the only political forum I read. Can't deal with all the slack-jawed morons out there on other sites.

--
Make America Great Again!
Trump/Palin 2016
Old 06-13-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Pentagon rebukes Trump proposal for more airstrikes
"What does the Pentagon know? If they were smart, they'd be billionaires like Trump."

~ Trump supporter
Old 06-13-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems he did switch to banning immigrants from certain countries today.... that's the last clip I heard. Way to make that pivot Don, just six months behind...
Old 06-13-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Pentagon also denied any Americans bombed a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan. First, it was blamed on Russian rebels, then the Russians themselves, then it was possibly American planes...then it was, "Ok, we did do it, but we had reports of terrorists in that hospital", which then changed yet again to..."Yeah, we did it, but it wasn't on purpose!"

Originally Posted by The Pentagon
"The label 'war crimes' is typically reserved for intentional acts – intentionally targeting civilians or intentionally targeting protected objects. The investigation found that the tragic incident resulted from a combination of unintentional human errors and equipment failures, and that none of the personnel knew that they were striking a medical facility."
Even though there were many who actually phoned US Military personnel, telling them to STOP BOMBING...because they were a hospital.

But yeah, The Pentagon.

P.S. 16 Military personnel were disciplined.
Old 06-13-16, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

It wasn't just Pentagon representatives quoted in that article, but keep sticking your hand in the sand. That will definitely work.
Old 06-13-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...orlando-224289

“I fundamentally disagree," said retired Army Lt. Gen. Mick Bednarek, who served as the chief U.S. military adviser in Iraq from 2013 to 2015. "The bottom line is [more bombing] has absolutely no bearing on individuals like Omar Mateen in Orlando, who obviously had some mental issues — like his absolute hatred of gays, lesbians and transgender community. Just wantonly increasing bombing against extremist radical groups in Iraq, Syria, etc. is not going to have a bearing on individuals in the United States and change their behavior.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...#ixzz4BVz6qOXz
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Compared to:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...nemy/13751531/

Originally Posted by August 2014
The advances of Islamic militants in Iraq are not an isolated problem but rather a "growing global challenge" that needs to be dealt with, the top American general in Iraq told Army Times.

"We must neutralize this enemy," Army Lt. Gen. Mick Bednarek, chief of the Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq, said in a Wednesday phone interview. "This is not just an Iraqi issue. This is not just a regional issue. This is a common enemy issue that we've got to address."

Islamic State of Iraq fighters have advanced across the northern and western parts of Iraq, seizing control of cities such as Mosul and Fallujah. Estimated to have about 10,000 fighters across Syria and Iraq, the militants have consolidated control over large swaths of territory during the past several weeks.

The group "is not just a violent extremist organization," Bednarek said. "This is an army, and it takes an army to defeat an army."
----

"Nothing we could do now in Iraq and Syria would make a difference right now,” Fred Kagan, director of the Critical Threats Project at the hawkish American Enterprise Institute, said in an interview.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...#ixzz4BW2XTbO8
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Interesting comment from Kagan, because he virtually designed the invasion of Iraq, along with Bill Kristol and many others. And we all know how that went.

Mateen was inspired by ISIS, who is inspiring people like Mateen, to carry out attacks all over the world.

Why would Kagan say that an immediate intervention of troops wouldn't help? NOTHING would help?

Of course Kagan, a friend of Bill Kristol...who nominated David French to be the alleged 3rd Party candidate for extremist Republicans.

These two men, in summary, are saying:

1) Increased air strikes won't help

2) Nothing we could do now will help

I realize a direct connection with Mateen's homosexuality hatred is one thing. But ISIS approved the attack, and Mateen acknowledged he was conducting the attack in the name of ISIS.

How else do you stop ISIS from influencing others?

Denying the problem is important and deserves more attention? Obama and his administration are doing this rather well. Josh Earnest even stated as much today.

Who's sticking their head in the sand.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-13-16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I'm not trying to change your mind. Just predicting the future. But if it is shown that her emails were open to other governments during her tenure, could Obama stop Republicans from (rightfully) demanding an indictment? I think it is fascinating to watch. Does it force the FBI's hand? Or does it make them wait so they can catch her in more denials of the facts?
According to you, if another government hacked Clinton's server, then she committed a crime. What crime did she commit? What is your legal reasoning? Also, what is the legal precedent?

From my perspective (not a legal expert) and based on what I've read written by legal experts, one problem with your reasoning is that you're focusing on the outcomes instead of Clinton's actions. Obviously she did not want hackers to steal information. You can argue that she was negligent, and apparently there is a charge called something along the lines of "gross negligence," but there are specific criteria that would need to be met as established by legal precedent. If another government obtained her emails, that does not necessarily indicate that Clinton committed a crime.

P.S. Your loaded question about Obama -- assuming as a matter of fact that he is in control of the US Attorney General and DOJ -- was lame.
Old 06-13-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Originally Posted by August 2014"

Outdated info. Google "Iraq Fallujah", the Iraqi army are trying to retake Fallujah as we speak. They've secured an exit route for civilians and captured 450 IS militants just a couple of days ago. They also retook a village south of Mosul, which has been under the control of IS since the summer of 2014.

In a word, progress is being made.
Old 06-13-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I was actually tackling it from a "even if we take for granted the worst case cover up scenario." I don't believe he know much more than we do.
Old 06-13-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...orlando-224289

And the funny thing is that people who claim we aren't doing enough to stop ISIS/ISIL have no clue about what's already being done. They just buy into Trump's lies wholeheartedly and repeat it like it's gospel truth. No critical thinking necessary.
I read that article, too. You're not wrong.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
All Donald has to do...is act. That's it. It's nothing special. And most supporters of Trump know this. They simply want somebody to do something...rather than finding excuses to NOT do something. Indeed, it's a challenging idea to some.
Old 06-13-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Russia Is Reportedly Set To Release Clinton's Intercepted Emails

WikiLeaks to publish more Hillary Clinton emails - Julian Assange

I was also auditing three months of bank account reconciliations for the business from home, and nailed that shit.

I have to ask. What do you think would be in an email (or several to prove repeated and intentional violations) for the DOJ to indict...and Obama to retract his daycare video showing support for Hillary?

There's just no way. Short of Hillary admitting to something which is just undeniably crazy, I don't foresee any revelations that all of us don't already know.

But I will admit, I am very curious and interested on the emails and what they contain.
Old 06-13-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

his daycare video
The subtitles were for social media. Just stop it already.
Old 06-14-16, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was actually tackling it from a "even if we take for granted the worst case cover up scenario." I don't believe he know much more than we do.
You want to have this every wknd Dave, do you? Do you!!? Every wknd till kingdom come are we going to have to put up with this!?
Old 06-14-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Say what?

The US is wedded to the idea that Assad has to go, while Russia is dedicated to keeping in power. Combined with the situation in the Ukraine, that makes cooperation highly unlikely without a major change in US policy.
That's great and all but keeping Assad is not destroying ISIL in Iraq. The USA is currently doing that though by obliterating ISIL targets with Apache helicopters. Russia isn't doing jack shit to prevent the slaughter in Fallujah the other day.

The Pentagon also denied any Americans bombed a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan. First, it was blamed on Russian rebels, then the Russians themselves, then it was possibly American planes...then it was, "Ok, we did do it, but we had reports of terrorists in that hospital", which then changed yet again to..."Yeah, we did it, but it wasn't on purpose!"

Even though there were many who actually phoned US Military personnel, telling them to STOP BOMBING...because they were a hospital.

But yeah, The Pentagon.

P.S. 16 Military personnel were disciplined.
So, the United States military is incompetent, is that what you are saying? If I grant you this absurd statement, you believe Donald Trump will use his expertise in military strategy to fix it?

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
"Originally Posted by August 2014"

Outdated info. Google "Iraq Fallujah", the Iraqi army are trying to retake Fallujah as we speak. They've secured an exit route for civilians and captured 450 IS militants just a couple of days ago. They also retook a village south of Mosul, which has been under the control of IS since the summer of 2014.

In a word, progress is being made.
Yes, but our current President doesn't broadcast it over Twitter.

"Most transparent President ever? Puleeeaze." - Donald Trump

I have to ask. What do you think would be in an email (or several to prove repeated and intentional violations) for the DOJ to indict...and Obama to retract his daycare video showing support for Hillary?

There's just no way. Short of Hillary admitting to something which is just undeniably crazy, I don't foresee any revelations that all of us don't already know.

But I will admit, I am very curious and interested on the emails and what they contain.
I love the phishing expedition the Hillary opposition is latched onto. They don't give a shit about the server, they want those emails. Because godammit, there is SOMETHING THERE and we will find it. What exactly they are looking for is unknown. They don't fucking care. The new normal, show us ALL your email and we'll decide what's appropriate and what isn't.

Last edited by CRM114; 06-14-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-14-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So, the United States military is incompetent, is that what you are saying? If I grant you this absurd statement, you believe Donald Trump will use his expertise in military strategy to fix it?
Trump apparently doesn't think that enough of that kind of bombing has happened... he did say, on more than one occasion that he'd "bomb the sh!t out of ISIS".

President Obama should get credit for taking Bin Laden out (in spite of any "Bin Laden was killed 13 years ago and kept on ice" conspiracy theories) and for the massive number of drone strikes that have been very effective.

But then again for the "Call of Duty" armchair chicken-hawks of whom Trump is the chief, nothing short of massive number of ground troops counts.
Old 06-14-16, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

I'll tell you next weekend. Maybe we should have a one and only Hillary email thread for those that actually want to know what is going on rather than just ignore it and hope it doesn't come about because Hillary.

I mean, so Nixon erased 8 minutes of tape. Shouldn't we have just let him go? We'll agree to that if everyone will just let Hillary be president.

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
You want to have this every wknd Dave, do you? Do you!!? Every wknd till kingdom come are we going to have to put up with this!?
Just be happy it is only the weekend. And not until kingdom come, just until indictment come. And it will. See you Saturday.
Old 06-14-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There was a hell of a lot more to Nixon's corruption than 8 minutes of tape.
Old 06-14-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

I'll tell you next weekend. Maybe we should have a one and only Hillary email thread for those that actually want to know what is going on rather than just ignore it and hope it doesn't come about because Hillary.

I mean, so Nixon erased 8 minutes of tape. Shouldn't we have just let him go? We'll agree to that if everyone will just let Hillary be president.

Just be happy it is only the weekend. And not until kingdom come, just until indictment come. And it will. See you Saturday.
It was 18 and a half minutes.

And it's all explained here:

Doesn't anyone know history any more?
Old 06-14-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Your initial reactions make me warm inside. It's like seeing a child still believe in Santa.

And it was actually just the cover up. Nixon wasn't involved in the crime. That all it took to take him down. But erase half the emails on a server that isn't even approved and forget all the record keeping procedures, and CRM thinks you are fit to be president. But we don't even have that much on her, I'm sure.
Old 06-14-16, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
It was 18 and a half minutes.

And it's all explained here:

Doesn't anyone know history any more?
I honestly love you.
Old 06-14-16, 10:09 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know anything about that movie, but I am afraid to google for "dick movie." What to do?
Old 06-14-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your initial reactions make me warm inside. It's like seeing a child still believe in Santa.

And it was actually just the cover up. Nixon wasn't involved in the crime. That all it took to take him down. But erase half the emails on a server that isn't even approved and forget all the record keeping procedures, and CRM thinks you are fit to be president. But we don't even have that much on her, I'm sure.
Don't forget that MILLIONS of emails were deleted from a private server in the Bush era, and no one went to jail for that.
Old 06-14-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, well Lincoln didn't lose a single one.
Old 06-14-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nixon's corruption wasn't limited to tape OR coverups. Are you actually trying to compare Richard Nixon to Hillary Clinton?

Originally Posted by Nixon
“The Jews have certain traits. The Irish have certain — for example, the Irish can’t drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I’ve known gets mean when he drinks. Particularly the real Irish. The Italians, of course, those people course don’t have their heads screwed on tight. They are wonderful people, but the Jews are just a very aggressive and abrasive and obnoxious personality.”
Old 06-14-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As to the Pentagon stating to Trump more airstrikes won't help...

Apparently, the US led an airstrike as early as this last Sunday in Raqqa (which is a key area to INCREASE airstrikes by the way), potentially killing the supreme shithead known as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

And the Pentagon just commented to Trump over the weekend that increasing air strikes is not advised?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.