Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-10-16, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
How do you know that he isn't a racist? I can point to his words and actions as evidence of his racism. Even his slogan, "Make America Great Again" has racist undertones... unless he explains exactly WHEN America was great and that point in history that he wants to go back to.
Make America Great Again" has racist undertones?

Why is it racist to mention America. It seems whenever a conservative group or person mentions America in a sentence, Liberals automatically label them as racist.

Why is that. There is absolutely no connection. Unless you want to believe America is currently and inherently a racist country? Well, if it is, why are we the most diverse nation in the world?

Racism is believing one race is superior to the other. Trump has never said this. Find me a quote where he has. Prejudiced...is another story. Prejudiced is questioning a person's actions and behaviors, which can be based on race, but it is not racism. It is prejudice.

Like I said, everyone needs to educate themselves, because your politicians are eager to tell you who is racist, and what is illegal and what is not.

You want to see the most prejudiced and biased actions by a government in this century, look at the IRS, selecting businesses who simply had the words Patriot or America, or Christian in their name.

To me, that's some scary shit. And hardly anyone is talking about it.
Old 06-10-16, 05:13 PM
Banned

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
We've already seen the list, and we know who made it for him:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politi...ourt-nominees/
Congratulations, Joe. You've accomplished the near-impossible.

I never thought there was anything that could make me consider voting for Donald, but your reminder put a tiny seed of doubt there.

Of course, any persons opposing the list only do so because three women are on it and they obviously hate women.
Old 06-10-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Why is it racist to mention America. It seems whenever a conservative group or person mentions America in a sentence, Liberals automatically label them as racist.

Why is that. There is absolutely no connection. Unless you want to believe America is currently and inherently a racist country? Well, if it is, why are we the most diverse nation in the world?

Racism is believing one race is superior to the other. Trump has never said this. Find me a quote where he has. Prejudiced...is another story. Prejudiced is questioning a person's actions and behaviors, which can be based on race, but it is not racism. It is prejudice.

Like I said, everyone needs to educate themselves, because your politicians are eager to tell you who is racist, and what is illegal and what is not.

You want to see the most prejudiced and biased actions by a government in this century, look at the IRS, selecting businesses who simply had the words Patriot or America, or Christian in their name.

To me, that's some scary shit. And hardly anyone is talking about it.
Don't hurt your back

Old 06-10-16, 05:22 PM
Banned by request

David Duke certainly thinks Trump is a racist, although Duke thinks that's a positive and not a negative.
Old 06-10-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
David Duke certainly thinks Trump is a racist, although Duke thinks that's a positive and not a negative.
Hey he disavowed it. He sounded so sincere doing it too. After he lied about not knowing about it.

Question: “How do you feel about the recent endorsement from David Duke?”

Trump: “I didn’t even know he endorsed me. David Duke endorsed me? Okay, all right. I disavow, okay?”
Old 06-10-16, 05:48 PM
Suspended

By your own standards and definitions...Hillary is a racist, too.
Old 06-10-16, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
So, of all the things David Duke has said...you now believe him.

"Well, if David Duke said it...and it agrees with my prejudiced politics...fuck it...it must be true!"
Old 06-10-16, 05:54 PM
Banned by request

So, of all the things David Duke has said...you now believe him.

"Well, if David Duke said it...and it agrees with my prejudiced politics...fuck it...it must be true!"
David Duke is an outspoken bigot, why would he need to lie? And do you really think he would endorse Trump if he thought Trump wasn't serious about his racist comments?
Old 06-10-16, 06:24 PM
Suspended

You're telling me you're believing a guy who just recently said the Jewish Media had everything to do with this Curiel judge thing with Trump.

Well, feel free to get on that bandwagon.

David Duke is an opportunist and anything or anyone he touches, can easily be tainted if the opposing party gets wind of it.

Aren't there racist non-White groups who support Hillary or the Democrat Party in general? So, are we to say Hillary is racist? The Democrat Party is racist?
Old 06-10-16, 06:49 PM
Banned by request

You're telling me you're believing a guy who just recently said the Jewish Media had everything to do with this Curiel judge thing with Trump.

Well, feel free to get on that bandwagon.

David Duke is an opportunist and anything or anyone he touches, can easily be tainted if the opposing party gets wind of it.

Aren't there racist non-White groups who support Hillary or the Democrat Party in general? So, are we to say Hillary is racist? The Democrat Party is racist?
I think Duke, like most neo-nazis, believe the absurd hatred they spew. And I believe that Duke feels Trump is a genuine ally.
Old 06-10-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what exactly does he mean when he says, "Make America Great Again"?
Old 06-10-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Really? That's a bummer, she's a monster. But I guess you gotta support your team somehow.
Oh, for fuck's sake.
Old 06-10-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Would you prefer I call her a whore?
Old 06-10-16, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Would you prefer I call her a whore?
Call her whatever you want. She's a pretty standard liberal Democrat, but because Team Bernie has decided the DNC sabotaged his campaign by not scheduling enough debates, or only scheduling debates when nobody is watching (even though the debates this cycle were, I think, more highly watched than the Democratic debates in 2008), somehow now she's the worst politician ever and needs to be driven out of office.
Old 06-10-16, 09:29 PM
Banned by request

Playing games in her supposedly neutral role as the DNC chair is actually the icing on the cake for why most progressives dislike her. She's notably voted against the public interest and the interests of her constituents in favor of campaign donors, like predatory payday lenders, and only changed her stances on these issues when a challenger for her seat appeared.

I've seen her name pop up for the last two or three years in relation to her poor voting record.
Old 06-10-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
So what exactly does he mean when he says, "Make America Great Again"?
Just to play devil's advocate, reviving manufacturing and the middle class by pulling out of international trade deals that only enrich corporations and the executive class. Not that I think Drumpf has any interest in any of that, but his motto isn't necessarily racist.
Old 06-10-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, reviving manufacturing and the middle class by pulling out of international trade deals that only enrich corporations and the executive class. Not that I think Drumpf has any interest in any of that, but his motto isn't necessarily racist.
is that what he said or are you interpreting that? It is deliberately open ended to allow the hearer to imagine when THEY thought America was great... before the brown people came in, eg. illegal immigration which is more of a cornerstone of Trump's campaign than trade deals... and THAT is why MAGA has racial undertones.
Old 06-10-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Even if he has interest in it, he has neither the know how nor the ability to get it accomplished.

To quote Mitch McConnell

"He needs someone highly experienced and very knowledgeable because it's pretty obvious he doesn't know a lot about the issues," McConnell said of a running mate for the mogul.
Old 06-10-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The inherent problem with "Make America Great Again" is that for many people, America is FINALLY great for them. So who is it going to be "great" for when he's elected?

Once you start jumping back in time, things get worse for homosexuals, minorities and women. So if Trump is really saying that America used to be great, then that means those people who have fought so hard to be recognized as an equal to the straight white man will lose those gains as we take the country back in time to when it was "great", or back when they didn't have a voice in this country.

Why would any of them want to go back?
Old 06-10-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hearkening back to a lost (fictional) golden age when all America was Mayberry, there were no Hispaics or Muslims around and the only blacks never got any lines ... no, nothing remotely racist there.
Old 06-10-16, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-racism-224209

Romney: Trump will cause 'trickle-down racism'

By Ali Breland

06/10/16 09:17 PM EDT

Mitt Romney argued on Friday that Donald Trump’s rhetoric could make racist and misogynistic sentiments more permissible in America.

The 2012 Republican nominee hammered the presumptive Republican nominee's past comments on race, saying on CNN’s "The Situation Room" that if Trump were to become president, his words would pose an even larger danger.

Story Continued Below

“I don’t want to see a president of the United State saying things which change the character of the generations of Americans that are following,” Romney said. “Presidents have an impact on the nature of our nation, and trickle down racism and trickle down bigotry and trickle down misogyny — all of these things are extraordinarily dangerous to the heart and character of America.”

When anchor Wolf Blitzer asked Romney directly if he thought Trump was racist, the former Massachusetts governor again focused on the implications of Trump’s rhetoric.

“I think his comments time and again appeal to the racist tendency that exists in some people and I think that's dangerous,” he said.

Romney’s comments didn’t stop at Trump’s rhetoric. He continued to rail against the real estate mogul, criticizing his temperament, which he suggested posed problems in a world “which is as combustible as it has ever been during my lifetime.”

“This is a very dangerous world and requires a person who is thoughtful,” Romney said, highlighting key geopolitical issues that he thinks could catalyze future conflicts like the crisis in Syria, a nuclear-capable Pakistan and China’s assertiveness.

Romney also rejected the idea that any shift in Trump's policies or rhetoric would convince him to reconsider saying that the damage had already been done and that Trump has already “demonstrated who he is.”

“I am absolutely convinced that Reince Priebus is right when he says Mr. Trump will be able to read from the text and present a different image going forward but that is not something which is consistent with who he is as demonstrated by his past,” Romney said. “This is not a matter of just policy, it is a matter of character and integrity. “

Trump’s spokeswoman, Katrina Pierson, responded to Romney’s comments later in the show. When Blitzer asked for her thoughts on what Trump said, Pierson pivoted away from the comments, and attacked Romney head on, attributing his charges to being jealous of Trump.

“This is someone who that’s run for office several times and lost,” Pierson said. “Honestly, these attacks against Donald Trump — I think Mitt Romney is just upset because when he did attack Donald Trump on his business, Donald Trump let the whole world know he had a Gucci store worth more than Mitt Romney, so this is just sour grapes.”
I think we're already seeing the effects of Trump's rhetoric. White supremacists are coming out of the woodwork to endorse him, many of his grassroots supporters aren't afraid to let their racist flag fly, and Republicans are becoming increasingly weaselly in their justifications for his comments. Romney is right that the president sets the tone for the nation, and I do not want the tone to be making fun of the disabled or questioning whether a judge is competent based on their race.

Also, note that the response from the Trump camp doesn't deny the allegations, they simply attack Romney in a juvenile way.
Old 06-10-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Even if he has interest in it, he has neither the know how nor the ability to get it accomplished.

To quote Mitch McConnell

"He needs someone highly experienced and very knowledgeable because it's pretty obvious he doesn't know a lot about the issues," McConnell said of a running mate for the mogul.
I appreciate the honesty. I've been referring to Trump as an "ignoramus" for quite a while. It's not just an insult. It's an accurate description. Trump has no idea what he is talking about on issue after issue. The problem is that the average Republican voter is at least as misinformed as Trump.

I think Republicans are slowly realizing that Trump really is incorrigible. They keeping praying that Trump will change, but as Romney said today, Trump has "demonstrated who he is." You can try to hide or sugarcoat it, but Trump really is an ignorant, prejudiced narcissist.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 06-10-16 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In contrast, Clinton knows her stuff. After castigating Trump in an opinion piece, the chairman and editor-in-chief of U.S. News & World Report explained why he will be supporting Clinton.

An Un-American Agenda at USNews.com

These are some of the reasons why there is no question for this writer but to choose Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. She is not somebody with poor impulse control nor a short attention span. She is up to speed on virtually every issue facing the American government. In her visit to the New York Daily News, she answered questions on every issue over a four-hour period, and she demonstrated an astonishing understanding of the details of each issue, of the challenges of them, of the politics of them, of the people who are involved in them, to a degree that was nothing short of phenomenal. So much so that when it was over, I said to her, "Hillary, I have been doing these interviews for over 20 years, and there has only been one person in all of these years who was your equal in terms of knowledge and genuine insight and understanding about all the issues facing America." And she said, "Who was that?" I said, "Your husband."
Old 06-11-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Call her whatever you want. She's a pretty standard liberal Democrat, but because Team Bernie has decided the DNC sabotaged his campaign by not scheduling enough debates, or only scheduling debates when nobody is watching (even though the debates this cycle were, I think, more highly watched than the Democratic debates in 2008), somehow now she's the worst politician ever and needs to be driven out of office.
The reasons I dislike her have nothing to do with Bernie or the campaign, and I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-11-16, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When Trump gives you a job, you might get paid... or not.

Donald Trump casts himself as a protector of workers and jobs, but a USA TODAY NETWORK investigation found hundreds of people – carpenters, dishwashers, painters, even his own lawyers – who say he didn’t pay them for their work.
The actions in total paint a portrait of Trump’s sprawling organization frequently failing to pay small businesses and individuals, then sometimes tying them up in court and other negotiations for years. In some cases, the Trump teams financially overpower and outlast much smaller opponents, draining their resources. Some just give up the fight, or settle for less; some have ended up in bankruptcy or out of business altogether.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...uits/85297274/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.