Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-10-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
What obligation does anyone have to a political party if you feel their candidate is awful?
If you are a registered member of the party then you are obligated to support the candidate. Otherwise, why else belong to a political party? This is especially true in those areas where party affiliation affects social networking and acceptance.
Old 06-10-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: come for the anger, stay for the Hüsker Dü

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
What obligation does anyone have to a political party if you feel their candidate is awful?
George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, and Mitt Romney don't feel they have an obligation. The last 4 GOP Presidential candidates refuse to be at the RNC in Cleveland. Only John McCain has given a tacit sign of support.
Old 06-10-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The presidential election comes down to:

AIDS vs. Cancer. Choose one and be happy!
Old 06-10-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post

Damn, no Herpes?
Old 06-10-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Damn, no Herpes?
Bernie can be the herpes for now.
Old 06-10-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
If you are a registered member of the party then you are obligated to support the candidate. Otherwise, why else belong to a political party? This is especially true in those areas where party affiliation affects social networking and acceptance.
But when there is extreme disagreement, like we are seeing between those that support HRC or not, there seems to actually be three choices:

#1 Feign support
#2 Continue to fight
#3 Leave

Of those three options, if I was part of the party leadership, I would want anything other than #3, and would take #2 over #1 since #1 will eventually catch up to you.

But lately is seems like they are pushing for #3 or #1 if you choose to stay. Totally throwing out any kind of fighting to improve the party. In my book fighting to improve the party is always better than giving up.
Old 06-10-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
But when there is extreme disagreement, like we are seeing between those that support HRC or not, there seems to actually be three choices:

#1 Feign support
#2 Continue to fight
#3 Leave

Of those three options, if I was part of the party leadership, I would want anything other than #3, and would take #2 over #1 since #1 will eventually catch up to you.

But lately is seems like they are pushing for #3 or #1 if you choose to stay. Totally throwing out any kind of fighting to improve the party. In my book fighting to improve the party is always better than giving up.
I have a different book. If the majority of the party identifies with a narcissist, misogynistic, racist that is what the party is. If you are not one then you are in the minority and have no chance of "improving" it.

I found it comical that every Republican official has been called a RINO over the last 8 years. There were those who considered themselves to be the arbiters of what a "true" Republican was, and none of the current Republicans fit that definition. At some point these RINOs are actually what defines the Republican Party.

The major political parties is only concerned with "identity politics". It's not about platforms, positions, or ideologies but simply the brand that they belong to. It's easy to identify who is "in" and who is "out".
Old 06-10-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a different book. If the majority of the party identifies with a narcissist, misogynistic, racist that is what the party is. If you are not one then you are in the minority and have no chance of "improving" it.
But that is the definition ascribed by the opposing party.

Even now, Hillary is saying Trump will take away Roe v. Wade. Trump is the most moderate on women's issues than any other candidate. We can debate his "punish women" goof, but as anyone knows he's been a moderate on abortion. Hell, he has more associations with Liberals than Conservatives...which Republicans tried to take him out on many months ago.

Hillary's Campaign in the near future (or now):

1) Trump wants to kill women

2) Trump wants to kill Muslims

3) Trump wants to kill Mexicans

4) Trump has a bad temper
Old 06-10-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Not exclusively so. Watch the news. There are Republicans who agree with that description of Trump. Why else do you think some high profile politicians are backing away from Trump? It isn't because he didn't promise them something for supporting him. They KNOW.

Right now they are parsing. They are saying that Trump SAYS racist things but that he's not a racist. The "party of personal responsibility" is exposed for the fraud that they are.
Old 06-10-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These Trump bots need to figure out where in your body racism exists

Some of them say he doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

Others say he doesn't have a racist heart.

So is it in the skeletal or pulmonary system?
Old 06-10-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I'm just trying to figure out where racism resides in a person.

Some of Trump's bots say he doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

Others say he doesn't have a racist heart.

So is it in the skeletal or pulmonary system?
Probably his brain. He has a very good brain. It used to be Abby's brain... Abby Normal.
Old 06-10-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Kind of like making a friend an ambassador? Where's the outrage! What the FUCK does Caroline Kennedy know about Japan and being an ambassador? Obama is a crook.
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You mean giving favor to a friend who donates to your charitable foundation? And what a favor it was - the audacity of this man doing public service for no pay!
Please tell me you see a difference between an ambassadorship which is strictly a liaison / PR and an advisor on a board.
Old 06-10-16, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Even now, Hillary is saying Trump will take away Roe v. Wade. Trump is the most moderate on women's issues than any other candidate. We can debate his "punish women" goof, but as anyone knows he's been a moderate on abortion. Hell, he has more associations with Liberals than Conservatives...which Republicans tried to take him out on many months ago.

Hillary's Campaign in the near future (or now):

1) Trump wants to kill women

2) Trump wants to kill Muslims

3) Trump wants to kill Mexicans

4) Trump has a bad temper
Funny, I could have sworn I heard Republicans say his comments were racist. Oh right, they did say that.
Old 06-10-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post

I think we're all going for AIDS. It's actually become quite treatable. Cancer on the other hand...

Which is which is in the mind of the voter.
Old 06-10-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Funny, I could have sworn I heard Republicans say his comments were racist. Oh right, they did say that.
Yeah but he said he's the least racist person you'll ever meet so that invalidates what they said.
Old 06-10-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So he would appoint moderates to the Supreme Court?
Old 06-10-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So he would appoint moderates to the Supreme Court?
Depends on who makes the list for him.
Old 06-10-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not exclusively so. Watch the news. There are Republicans who agree with that description of Trump. Why else do you think some high profile politicians are backing away from Trump? It isn't because he didn't promise them something for supporting him. They KNOW.

Right now they are parsing. They are saying that Trump SAYS racist things but that he's not a racist. The "party of personal responsibility" is exposed for the fraud that they are.
But you have to really look closely at why Republicans have been against Trump. You have to be sure you do not agree with them specifically because they are against him, and how it favors your party.

I agree, Republicans have piled on Trump, but isn't this because they just didn't like him from the beginning and want to get out from the heat from politics? Hasn't it been easier to just get along with everyone...and not get anything done? That's what some Republicans want. And they see real work when Trump gets into office.

Trump isn't racist. He's certainly prejudiced and impulsively defensive, which he needs to tame. Probably PTSD from the last year with being attacked from friends and political proponents.

Just like Hillary is not racist, but she puts herself into an environment where somebody could mistakenly call her racist.

I suppose most supporters of Trump view him like Democrats view Hillary. She has a lot of character flaws...but the positives outweigh the negatives. I disagree, but I certainly will not call her racist, regardless of her previous statements or panderings to minority groups. You don't have to be vocal or controversial to be racist, which many don't realize as well. It can be very subtle. But regardless, we all need to understand what racism really is.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-10-16 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on who makes the list for him.
We've already seen the list, and we know who made it for him:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politi...ourt-nominees/
Five of the 11 names were floated in March by the conservative Heritage Foundation, which Trump said was assisting him in compiling a list of potential nominees.
Steve Vladeck, a CNN contributor and law professor at American University Washington College of Law, described the list as "red meat to conservatives. These are 11 well-regarded conservative judges with consistent credentials; folks who I think could reasonably be expected to try and follow in Justice Scalia's footsteps."
Old 06-10-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Of all politicians, you think Trump is going to let people tell him what to do?

THAT would be news.

He created the list, as the article says, to be "Red meat to Conservatives." Trump simply gave them what they wanted. It does not mean he will pick an extremist judge unconditionally.

If anything, a moderately Conservative female judge would be nice.
Old 06-10-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of all politicians, you think Trump is going to let people tell him what to do?

THAT would be news.

He created the list, as the article says, to be "Red meat to Conservatives." Trump simply gave them what they wanted. It does not mean he will pick an extremist judge unconditionally.

If anything, a moderately Conservative female judge would be nice.
You really think Trump is going to throw all this red meat to conservatives just to get elected, then actually be a moderate and elect moderate judges?

Because I'm sure he wants to be president of a country where BOTH parties hate him. That would be fun.

I can see why you are supporting him now though. You don't believe he's going to do anything he says he will. It's a nice hope, I guess.

Last edited by joeblow69; 06-10-16 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump isn't racist. He's certainly prejudiced and impulsively defensive, which he needs to tame. Probably PTSD from the last year with being attacked from friends and political proponents.
How do you know that he isn't a racist? I can point to his words and actions as evidence of his racism. Even his slogan, "Make America Great Again" has racist undertones... unless he explains exactly WHEN America was great and that point in history that he wants to go back to.
Old 06-10-16, 05:05 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Trump isn't racist, he just says racist things. If the American people misconstrue his racist comments as evidence of racism, that's our problem. Apparently.
Old 06-10-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump isn't racist.
Be interested in how you know this as a fact. Because for someone who isn't racist he sure has done a good job of becoming the world's most famous racist over the last year.
Old 06-10-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah but he said he's the least racist person you'll ever meet so that invalidates what they said.
In a recent YouGov surevy, 78% of Republican voters said they don't think his comments were racist so I am sure they believe that about Trump as well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.