Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-03-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

I guess I don't see Trump "self-destructing". All we're hearing is the gap is tightening and GOP leaders are endorsing.
Old 06-03-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I guess I don't see Trump "self-destructing". All we're hearing is the gap is tightening and GOP leaders are endorsing.
We don't even have two nominees yet.

New Mad Magazine

Old 06-03-16, 10:47 AM
Banned by request

I'm hoping that as the Trump U cases escalate, and as we get closer to the general election, more people take a closer look at Trump and realize he's unfit to mop the deck of an aircraft carrier, let alone be president.

Trump doesn't seem capable of modulating his speech and rhetoric to changing circumstances, nor does he seem to be able to take context into account. I think he'll find what worked so well for him in the primaries will not necessarily resonante with the larger electorate.
Old 06-03-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if some of the people here would still vote for Trump over Cruz.
Old 06-03-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
We don't even have two nominees yet.
I understand that - he just should have "self-destructed" a long time ago. Nothing happening now is worse than when he was on the rise.

I was just thinking this morning how Howard Dean self-destructed with a weird yell on stage. Trump says he'll order our troops to commit war crimes and everyone's like "great, here's the nomination!"
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd take my chances with Trump over that nutsack Cruz.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Savage indictment of Paul Ryan by the WaPo editorial board.
When Trump loses (when, not if), there's going to be so much fucking back-pedaling by almost everyone that endorsed him.
Old 06-03-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Clinton was projected to win the general by 150 electoral college votes last month. If Trump improved his polling numbers by 5 percentage points in EVERY state, Clinton would still win by 32 electoral votes.

As soon as Bernie concedes, Trump will get hammered like he did by Clinton yesterday by Bernie, Biden, Obama, E. Warren, and Bill Clinton. Over and over and over again. I find it hard to believe that the American people could elect Trump.
Old 06-03-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As soon as Bernie concedes, Trump will get hammered like he did by Clinton yesterday by Bernie, Biden, Obama, E. Warren, and Bill Clinton. Over and over and over again. I find it hard to believe that the American people could elect Trump.
Did you hear Trump's rebuttal of Hillary hammering him? It went like this:

1. She's boring and put me to sleep
2. It was a hit job!
3. Hillary needs to go to jail

That's seriously the best he can do? I think the debates are going to be VERY entertaining.
Old 06-03-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
When Trump loses (when, not if), there's going to be so much fucking back-pedaling by almost everyone that endorsed him.
Paul Ryan's going to have to be hospitalized for whiplash.
Old 06-03-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Did you hear Trump's rebuttal of Hillary hammering him? It went like this:

1. She's boring and put me to sleep
2. It was a hit job!
3. Hillary needs to go to jail

That's seriously the best he can do? I think the debates are going to be VERY entertaining.
You forgot

"I watched Hillary today and it was pathetic. It was so sad to watch," Trump said, calling it a "political speech" that had nothing to do with foreign policy.
"It was a pretty pathetic deal," he added.
Old 06-03-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

The polls tell the story. So when Cruz dropped out and he became the presumptive nominee Trump got a bump. Hillary, who is fighting the email thing and Bernie, is dropping. So the gap is narrowing.

However, since then, the gap is continuing to narrow but not because of Trump and any increasing support since then. He's remained basically stagnant. The only reason for the narrowing today is because of Hillary. But that's not a positive reflection on Trump at all.

I guess what I'm saying is Trump does not appear to be getting more and more supporters as the days go by.. it's that Hillary is getting less and less. But unless Trump gets more.. he's not likely to succeed vs Hillary (and would certainly lose against Sanders).

His current rhetoric is not going to get him more supporters. Acting more presidential would have and he's not doing that. So I think he's reached about as many supporters as he's going to get and I think he'll like start losing some as he gets more desperate and says even more stupid stuff.
Old 06-03-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'm hoping that as the Trump U cases escalate, and as we get closer to the general election, more people take a closer look at Trump and realize he's unfit to mop the deck of an aircraft carrier, let alone be president.

Trump doesn't seem capable of modulating his speech and rhetoric to changing circumstances, nor does he seem to be able to take context into account. I think he'll find what worked so well for him in the primaries will not necessarily resonante with the larger electorate.
This article does a pretty good job of describing why Trump is about hit a wall

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._flailing.html
Old 06-03-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

CRM114 ,

Bill Kristol has a religious agenda. He always has when it came to policy. I've read his foreign policy articles from time to time over the years. Kristol has historically favored a strong military dominance of the world in order to keep the peace. This is the reason he chose French, because he's military. He's extremely pro-Israel, and as far as that, probably more pro-Israel than I am as I think there needs to be a compromise between the conflicting parties to achieve peace. Kristol is more into forcing dominance (i.e., submission).

David French has said he believes churches should be the exclusive sources of public assistance and do away with government welfare.

French is also the author of a book, A Season for Justice: Defending the Rights of the Christian Church, Home, and School.

French's wife wrote a book with Sarah Palin, Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting the Heart of Christmas.

Kristol is also a Palin lover. I can't stand Sarah Palin.

I can smell a religious agenda a mile away. In the case of Bill Kristol's party, a few light years away. See, this is the secret these people don't want to admit...until they are in office and it's too late. They don't like Trump or his supporters because they aren't as religious, and couldn't care less about church or the stupid rants of "religious liberty". But they want religion being integrated into American politics and legislation.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-03-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I wonder if some of the people here would still vote for Trump over Cruz.
I'd prefer Trump over Cruz. Even with Trump's cognitive lack of political clarity, Cruz would be on a rampage to insert Bible passages into the Constitution.
Old 06-03-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That mean old Trump says mean things and hurt my feelings. Let’s riot
Old 06-03-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'd prefer Trump over Cruz. Even with Trump's cognitive lack of political clarity, Cruz would be on a rampage to insert Bible passages into the Constitution.
One thing we agree on. First of all Trump is a lot more moderate than Cruz. Second of all he's probably basically atheist (goes to church because he has to) and not a religious zealot is all I need to make my choice. Take away the fact that he's an unprepared reality star conman who probably just wants to be president to stoke his ego and he's a great candidate.
Old 06-03-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty much.

Religious Enforcement Brigade: "But Trump, we really need to pass this abortion legislation. It's for the party. Our party. For God. Yah know? So, whatcha gonna do, brother?"

Trump: "This is fucking stupid. Go home. It's Sunday. Fuck your wife in the ass. I got more important shit going on. Bye."
Old 06-03-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Same here. That's the thing though.. there were no Republican candidates that I thought would have been any good at all. Trump was the best of the worst and really the only chance Republicans had and even if he doesn't win the hope is it shakes the party awake.
Old 06-03-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Burning a US flag while holding a Mexican flag? Are you here to be Americans or not?
They're being Americans by exercising their first amendment rights.

As much as I despise Trump, I despise that weasel Cruz even more.
Old 06-03-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, so Obama said yesterday the economy was doing great. Even said he watched Fox News and listened to the Right and implied their wrong interpretations of how he has handled the economy...and how they were just so wrong.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0YO1I8

The U.S. economy created the fewest number of jobs in more than 5-1/2-years in May as manufacturing and construction employment fell sharply, suggesting slippage in the labor market that could make it harder for the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates.
When you go that far back, it's basically saying we're at the same point where Obama started his damn first term. So my question, once again, what the fuck has Obama been doing all this time. Same goes to Hillary.

So, what are Hillary and Obama going to say now? Everything is just great? Don't you people listen to those who say America isn't great and opportunity isn't the best it's ever been.

Themz lyin' werdz.

Let me guess Hillary's next campaign in late summer: "Let's Make America BETTER!"

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-03-16 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
They're being Americans by exercising their first amendment rights.

As much as I despise Trump, I despise that weasel Cruz even more.
I despise them equally, but I am more concerned with a President Trump than with a President Cruz.

No matter what Cruz's beliefs are, he is swimming against the tide of the culture. Progressive policies and positions are marching forward. He MIGHT have been able to slow it down a bit (doubtful) but there was no way that he could reverse it.

Good news, we don't have to worry about a President Cruz. Bad news, we have to worry about a President Trump.
Old 06-03-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When you go that far back, it's basically saying we're at the same point where Obama started his damn first term. So my question, once again, what the fuck has Obama been doing all this time. Same goes to Hillary.

So, what are Hillary and Obama going to say now? Everything is just great? Don't you people listen to those who say America isn't great and opportunity isn't the best it's ever been.

Themz lyin' werdz.
Well... no... One month of job creation data doesn't mean squat. But hey, you should send the bolded bit to Trump, I'm sure he would use it in a tweet.
Old 06-03-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I was watching MSNBC this morning and they were playing the clips of Clinton and Trump going after each other. On one hand you have the shoot from the hip loudmouth. And the polar opposite in Clinton, who even giving a simple talk is seen stopping and referring to her notes. Obama was criticized for using a teleprompter so much. He at least was eloquent in his talks. Neither of them were for two very different reasons. Trump absolutely needs to start sounding more Presidential, but Hillary should learn how to give a short speech without being so obvious she is reading notes.

Sorry I haven't learned to embed videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nVFxCwjYI

She was making a good point with her attack on Trump U, but in my opinion, her delivery was poor.
Someone must have really coached Hillary on her delivery because yesterday's speech was much stronger. Previously she didn't say two sentences without stopping, looking down at her notes and sounding robotic. Yesterday sounded 100% better. Now when giving a foreign policy speech I would expect to hear more actual foreign policy instead of just throwing darts at Trump. He doesn't seem to have one either, but instead of just announcing how "dangerous" he is, this is a good opportunity to expound on the differences. She was a little weak in that area but overall a solid B+ in the speech.
Old 06-03-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

sracer,

Cruz is a legally shrewd character, who managed to get a lot of delegates, and he did this behind the scenes, working within the boundaries of the "rules". He's monster when it comes to working the law. He would do the same when it came to legislation passed on Americans. With Trump, he'd probably broadcast it via every social medium available. It would be far from being a surprise announcement. At least with Trump, people would have the opportunity to push back and change his mind. With Cruz, you don't even know what he's thinking. And he certainly would not tell you until the legislation was passed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.