Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-02-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Romney has more nods of approval from Bill Kristol. To me, that's scary. That's why I didn't vote for Romney. Way too extreme. I don't get these Romney, Cruz, Kasich, and Kristol types. They are adamantly for introducing religion into mainstream government, and wanting God to teach policy.
Old 06-02-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sorry Dave, I think your hatred of Clinton has blinded you to how much of a threat Trump is.
And overestimated how much of a threat Clinton is.

kvrdave, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I recall a post from several months ago where you explicitly stated that you believe that Clinton would enjoy torturing people. When I went back to look for it perhaps a week after the post was made, I couldn't find it, leading me to believe the post had been edited or deleted. (I do more than my fair share of edits, and I delete posts from time to time. I'm more interested in the content of the post than whether it was edited or deleted.)

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 06-02-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 08:57 PM

If the DOJ does indict Clinton on what I am assuming would be legitimate grounds, I will be one of the first people to call for her to get out of the race. As a general rule, the feds indict people when they believe they have a solid case. If she is indicted, she will be irreparably damaged. It would be too risky for her to run as the Democratic nominee.

I just wish that the FBI would complete its investigation. If more resources are needed to complete it, then they should be procured. This matter should be resolved well before the general election. Otherwise, it could unduly influence the election.
Old 06-02-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
If the DOJ does indict Clinton on what I am assuming would be legitimate grounds, I will be one of the first people to call for her to get out of the race. As a general rule, the feds indict people when they believe they have a solid case. If she is indicted, she will be irreparably damaged. It would be too risky for her to run as the Democratic nominee.

I just wish that the FBI would complete its investigation. If more resources are needed to complete it, then they should be procured. This matter should be resolved well before the general election. Otherwise, it could unduly influence the election.
An indictment does not mean guilt.

Can't believe I said that. But even for Hillary, she should still run and use the court system to weigh the evidence.

But, an indictment will never happen.
Old 06-02-16, 09:22 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I know everyone seems to be repeating the mantra of intent for Hillary's email server, but what was her intent here?
I think what Clinton did with the server was completely stupid, but I don't understand what the nefarious intent was. She wasn't a spy, she didn't leak information to others to write a book, so what exactly do you think she did, and why?

Some people have said that she has purged the bad information, but I don't see how that can be. If teams of investigators have dug through tens of thousands of emails over a year and found only a few that were arguably questionable, how is it possible that Clinton herself, or with a few helpers, could have gone through and picked out all the bad emails?

I think it all came from lack of understanding and technology savvy, rather than some ill intent. I work in high tech and deal with a lot sensitive information, and am amazed at how careless some people are with their computers and digital data. It got so bad that now we have to have many things encrypted, but that's what happens with people who know a lot more about IT and security than Clinton does.
Old 06-02-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Trump's attacks on Judge Curiel are now explicitly racist, right? Do Trumpers not care because a) racism is fun, or b) something something Hillary?
Old 06-02-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. Trump seems to believe that whatever pops into his head must be important and is most likely to be the correct answer to the question or best solution to the problem. He seems to think that doing research and investing time and effort into decision-making are unnecessary. How often does he say that something is "good" or "bad" without bothering to explain? And why do journalists keep letting him get away with it?

Bottom line: Trump doesn't know what the hell he's talking about on most issues, and his supporters don't care because they're at least as misinformed as he is.
The epitome of Colbert-style "think with your gut, not your brain!"
Old 06-02-16, 09:53 PM

Trump is now calling for the federal judge to step down because of his ethnic background. Trump is truly ignorant and pathetic.

As I've said before, win or lose in November, Trump is a complete loser in my book -- a classless ignoramus of the first order.

Trump: Judge with Mexican heritage has an 'inherent conflict of interest' at CNN.com

Donald Trump is claiming that a judge with Mexican heritage who is overseeing a lawsuit against Trump University has an "inherent conflict of interest" given the presumptive GOP nominee's rhetoric on immigration.

Trump's comments to The Wall Street Journal on Thursday escalate a line of attack against U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who last week ordered parts of internal documents, including "playbooks" regarding running the enterprise, to be released as part of a lawsuit against Trump University.

The documents were released in response to a request by The Washington Post.

"I'm building a wall. It's an inherent conflict of interest," Trump told the Journal.

Speaking to CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday night, CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said Curiel's background was not a reason for him to step down from the case.

"The ethnicity of the judge is not in it of itself a grounds for recusal, ever," Toobin said. "And that is a claim that Trump -- under the First Amendment -- is certainly allowed to make, but it is completely wrong under the law."
Old 06-02-16, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
So Trump's attacks on Judge Curiel are now explicitly racist, right? Do Trumpers not care because a) racism is fun, or b) something something Hillary?
both.
Old 06-02-16, 10:02 PM

Here's an excerpt from the original story at the Wall Street Journal.

Donald Trump Keeps Up Attacks on Judge in Trump University Case at WSJ.com
Byline: The Republican’s charge that Judge Gonzalo Curiel has a conflict of interest draws criticism from some legal observers

Donald Trump on Thursday escalated his attacks on the federal judge presiding over civil fraud lawsuits against Trump University, amid criticism from legal observers who say the presumptive GOP presidential nominee’s comments are an unusual affront on an independent judiciary.

In an interview, Mr. Trump said U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had “an absolute conflict” in presiding over the litigation given that he was “of Mexican heritage” and a member of a Latino lawyers’ association. Mr. Trump said the background of the judge, who was born in Indiana to Mexican immigrants, was relevant because of his campaign stance against illegal immigration and his pledge to seal the southern U.S. border. “I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” Mr. Trump said.
Old 06-02-16, 10:04 PM
Banned by request

Trump is now calling for the federal judge to step down because of his ethnic background. Trump is truly ignorant and pathetic.

As I've said before, win or lose in November, Trump is a complete loser in my book -- a classless ignoramus of the first order.

Trump: Judge with Mexican heritage has an 'inherent conflict of interest' at CNN.com
Wow, that's an interesting legal strategy. "I said inflammatory things about this judge and his cultural background, therefore he must hate me, which is a conflict of interest." I should try that next time I'm being sued for fraud.
Old 06-02-16, 10:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

next time I'm being sued for fraud.
Old 06-02-16, 10:07 PM

Last week he was talking about having California in play for the general, good luck with that one.
Old 06-02-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

And overestimated how much of a threat Clinton is.

kvrdave, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I recall a post from several months ago where you explicitly stated that you believe that Clinton would enjoy torturing people. When I went back to look for it perhaps a week after the post was made, I couldn't find it, leading me to believe the post had been edited or deleted. (I do more than my fair share of edits, and I delete posts from time to time. I'm more interested in the content of the post than whether it was edited or deleted.)
I can't recall the last time I deleted a post. But so that there isn't misunderstanding, I think she would bathe in the blood of sacrificed virgins if she thought she could get away with it, and if it would make her look 1 day younger.

Agreed. When they do indict people they have a winning percentage of like 90%. My guess is that with a target this high up, they don't indict unless they simply know they can't and get away with it. One way or another the information gets out. But where they have interviewed everyone but Hillary, I have to believe they are about done.

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I think what Clinton did with the server was completely stupid, but I don't understand what the nefarious intent was. She wasn't a spy, she didn't leak information to others to write a book, so what exactly do you think she did, and why?

Some people have said that she has purged the bad information, but I don't see how that can be. If teams of investigators have dug through tens of thousands of emails over a year and found only a few that were arguably questionable, how is it possible that Clinton herself, or with a few helpers, could have gone through and picked out all the bad emails?

I think it all came from lack of understanding and technology savvy, rather than some ill intent. I work in high tech and deal with a lot sensitive information, and am amazed at how careless some people are with their computers and digital data. It got so bad that now we have to have many things encrypted, but that's what happens with people who know a lot more about IT and security than Clinton does.
Rather than go through all that I think went down, let me just say that the cover up/obstruction seems to be where these elitist fucks trip up.
Old 06-02-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Wow, that's an interesting legal strategy. "I said inflammatory things about this judge and his cultural background, therefore he must hate me, which is a conflict of interest." I should try that next time I'm being sued for fraud.
Yeah it's kinda that.

At this point.. I guess the only thing he's hoping for is to be able to punt this whole thing further down the road until after the election. The lawsuit(s) aren't going to go away. He could have paid these people off long ago probably but.. ego..
Old 06-02-16, 10:22 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Brother do I have an investment opportunity for you! You can get in on the ground floor!
Old 06-02-16, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Brother do I have an investment opportunity for you! You can get in on the ground floor!
With those skills you should run for president, there's always room for a lesser evil.
Old 06-02-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dork View Post
First of all, what Trump said was just bullshit. From reading it, it's not racist, but it's what we call prejudiced. Sorry, but even Trump isn't bad enough to be a racist.

History would agree with me.

Racism involves a lot more than just saying a person of certain ethnic background, is using their position to be biased against another. Sorry, I won't play that shit.

Back to what Trump said. He needs back off on his accusations. He has no proof, just a bunch of hot air.

What Trump doesn't realize is his supporters are much more dynamic and are not tied to him. We will leave for somebody else if that person is deemed unsuitable or just batshit nuts if they continue to accuse people with no proof.

Much like Hillary supporters waiting for an indictment to make them get off their asses and not support her, I suppose.

There could be criticism such as Judge Curiel being an Obama nominee. But once again, Trump has offered no proof. No evidence, other than the person being a Latino. In my book, that's wrong, and Trump needs to shape up and not accuse everyone of being involved in a conspiracy against him.
Old 06-02-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's already done plenty that SHOULD drive people away and he keeps getting supporters. This racist stuff with the judge will just attract more
Old 06-02-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I seriously doubt this will attract MORE Trump supporters. He's tapped out. The ones who are fence-sitting, are much more open-minded.

Unless you mean more will be driven away? If so, it very well may be if he continues like this.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-03-16 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I seriously doubt this will attract MORE Trump supporters. He's tapped out. The ones who are fence-sitting, are much more open-minded.

Unless you mean more will be driven away? If so, it very well may be if he continues like this.
No, I'm saying his popularity will increase. There is a lot of racial resentment in this country and Trump is making it okay to bring it to light. It'll get worse.
Old 06-03-16, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

This is about as ass backwards as it gets.

It should be pointed out that this is but one of three class action lawsuits regarding Trump University. There is another one in California (also under Judge Curiel) and there is one in New York, which is a state court case. Trump has viciously attacked the Attorney General of New York for that one.

I'm sure Trump will claim the judge in the New York case is also prejudiced against him.

I think these are strong cases as there seems to be good evidence that Trump told lies and engaged in deceptive practices in promoting his "university."

Also, note that Trump countersued the named plaintiff in the first California case for defamation. He has already lost that suit and he has been ordered to pay the plaintiff's $800,000 in attorneys' fees.

Please read this excellent article:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/08/news...-donald-trump/
Old 06-03-16, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My sister always thought Romney was a religious way too right kind of guy. But he was elected to Massachusetts, one of the bluest states. How could he get elected there if he was such a rightie? I voted for him because I thought Obama had failed on too many promises and blamed everyone but himself but will admit he wasn't my favorite from the bunch.
Old 06-03-16, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Trump calling Hillary crooked. Hillary calling Trump a fraud. Both calling each other liars.

It's abundantly clear each is right about the other.

The only question left is "Who is the pot and who is the kettle?"

But what difference, at this point, does it make?
Old 06-03-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would post this in Movies, but the Ghostbusters thread gets locked more than anything in politics

Judd Apatow: ‘Ghostbusters’ Haters Are Probably Trump Supporters

“I would assume there’s a very large crossover of people who are doubtful Ghostbusters will be great and people excited about the Donald Trump candidacy. I would assume they are the exact same people.”

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.