Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 06-01-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

True, I don't have facts, but then again, I'm not predicting the end of the world, either.

Which is more logical. Voting for a man who will make some change, or NOT voting for a man...because he'll start WWIII.

I could understand if people didn't vote for Trump because they just didn't agree with him on the issues. That's cool. I can dig it. However, it's gone way beyond issue disagreements, and twisting and turning into something very and truly weird.

We both have our foundational reasons. But some are more probable than others. My logic says Trump won't be the next Messiah...and he won't destroy the universe. Your logic, or others, is that Trump certainly WILL DESTROY THE PLANET, surrounding planets, and will put Muslims in special gas camps, and breathes sulfur and fire.

For some amazing reason, I don't believe it.

I think I just gave Bill Kristol a campaign slogan: "We're Not The Devil!!!!!"
Old 06-01-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You have absolutely no facts to prove how Trump will do with policies and legislation in a US Government capacity. None. All you can assume, is how he will behave. But you don't know how he will actually perform, because there is no prior record of him as a government employee.
The grand plan is to elect someone nobody knows anything about and then hope for the best?

Ugh.
Old 06-01-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

If Trump causes the total destruction of the United States then I offer you this in condolence. In the case that happens I think we could get, rising from the rubble what once was a modern society, DVD Polizei who will issue a "Oops. My bad." proclamation complete with tear. So if Trump does well that's a good thing and if he does badly then you get that.. it's a complete win-win situation in every respect.

So now vote with Trump in confidence that your satisfaction will be guaranteed.
Old 06-01-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
A poll doesn't prove anything. If scientists want to know what people think, they do a survey. If scientists want to find out what is actually happening, they perform a study. They collect and analyze data.

Trump lies more often than Clinton. Obviously different lies can carry different weight, but those evaluations are much more subjective.
Correct that it doesn't prove anything. But you have to be blind not to see the unsettling trend of Clinton.

There is a reason Sanders is running as a Democrat. And there is a reason he opposes Trump. At this point, Trump is not an unknown.

These reasons and realities may continue to elude you, but many other people can see the writing on the wall.
The fuck are you talking about? I understand Sanders opposes Trump. I oppose Trump. But unlike some supporters, I don't oppose him simply because I'm blindly in love with someone else.

I think you must believe that to be against one is to be for the other. Honestly, there is no other way to justify support of Clinton.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'd rather have a known who I know will screw me in some areas but also won't start WWIII, versus an unknown who I can count on to also screw me but may start WWIII as well.
So one more for Trump?

Seriously, do you guys read these things and honestly think they apply to one of them more than the other? If Hillary calling Putin Hitler doesn't start anything, this is just overblown bullshit the Clinton campaign hopes resonates because she doesn't have something to present other than fear.
Old 06-01-16, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Trump has already said that he'd "make" a sovereign nation pay for a wall on our border. That's a lot different than calling someone Hitler. He's said he prevent people from entering our country on the basis of their religion. He's said he'll order our troops to commit war crimes and they'll do it because he said so.

Originally Posted by Trump
“They won’t refuse. They’re not going to refuse me,” he said. “If I say do it, they’re going to do it.”
That's all I need to go NOPE. If Hillary says something similar, I'll vote for a 3rd party candidate. If she doesn't, I'll cast my vote for her because ultimately we are all choosing between two people and only Trump scares the ever loving shit out of me.
Old 06-01-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
True, I don't have facts, but then again, I'm not predicting the end of the world, either.
But aren't you? You seem to think terrorists are going to reduce the country to ashes if Hillary becomes president.
Old 06-02-16, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Seriously, do you guys read these things and honestly think they apply to one of them more than the other? If Hillary calling Putin Hitler doesn't start anything, this is just overblown bullshit the Clinton campaign hopes resonates because she doesn't have something to present other than fear.
Sorry Dave, I think your hatred of Clinton has blinded you to how much of a threat Trump is. I loathe lesser of two evil politics but in this case I've come to the conclusion that for this election it is better to keep the devil we know. I fucking hate saying it because I do want to see changes in our political system, but the sort of changes Trump will bring are not in the best interests of this country.

I've supported Sanders to an extent I've never supported any political candidate, but if he doesn't get the nomination then I will vote for the person who does, even if that person is Hillary Clinton.

A smart parasite knows not to kill the host it's feeding off of. Clinton is a smart parasite. Trump is a cocktail of every awful, fatal virus out there.
Old 06-02-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The fuck are you talking about? I understand Sanders opposes Trump. I oppose Trump. But unlike some supporters, I don't oppose him simply because I'm blindly in love with someone else.

I think you must believe that to be against one is to be for the other. Honestly, there is no other way to justify support of Clinton.
Clinton is the representative of the Democratic Party, an organization with certain principles and goals. A vote for Clinton is also a vote for the party. To the extent that either party is the party of the common people (has their best interests in mind and offers support in an attempt to improve their lives), the Democratic Party is it.

Trump is the representative of himself, a man with dubious goals and few principles. A vote for Trump is a vote for the man because he has made it clear that he feels little obligation to the party. As Rubio correctly observed when he was still in the race, Trump has offered so few details and flip-flopped on issues so much, that it will be extremely difficult to hold him accountable.

I'll take the Democratic Party over Trump any day of the week.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 06-02-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-02-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I heard today that the judge overseeing the Trump university case is a member of La Raza. That does put an interesting twist on things.
Old 06-02-16, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I heard today that the judge overseeing the Trump university case is a member of La Raza. That does put an interesting twist on things.
Was it the National Enquirer that broke that story?
Old 06-02-16, 08:43 AM

Trump University Case: Who Is Federal Judge Gonzalo Curiel?
Old 06-02-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To the extent that either party is the party of the common people (has their best interests in mind and offers support in an attempt to improve their lives), the Democratic Party is it.
Oh please, all the Democratic party cares about is itself.
Old 06-02-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You get that from Trump's bullet lady?

Trump and his campaign aren't letting up. Trump spent part of his Memorial Day continuing the attack. And during a CNN interview Monday, campaign spokesperson Katrina Pierson pointed out that Curiel is a member of a group of Latino lawyers in California called the La Raza Lawyers Association.

"This is an organization that has been out there organizing anti-Trump protesters with the Mexican flags," Pierson said (apparently confusing the La Raza Lawyers Association with the National Council on La Raza, which is a different group). "And so Mr. Trump is just stating the obvious."
Old 06-02-16, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I was being quite literal when I said I "heard" it. It was mentioned on the radio while I ran out to get breakfast.
Old 06-02-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you must believe that to be against one is to be for the other.
There is no shortage of that on this forum, and it isn't limited to presidential candidates.
Old 06-02-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sorry Dave, I think your hatred of Clinton has blinded you to how much of a threat Trump is.
Yes, many will think this. And then they will think this is all about me smoking weed. Then they will decide it is something else, and then they will all understand and act like it all didn't go down just as I said. And I know what a threat Trump is, but I think putting a D in front of the corrupt whore has blinded people into not thinking she is as dangerous as Trump. Looking at our military actions, the whore's name calling of Putin (I get the delicious irony), her "transparency" of a press conference once a year, etc., I don't think anyone can say which will be worse with any certainty. It is a guess based on how the party makes people feel for comfort.

Clinton is the representative of the Democratic Party, an organization with certain principles and goals. A vote for Clinton is also a vote for the party. To the extent that either party is the party of the common people (has their best interests in mind and offers support in an attempt to improve their lives), the Democratic Party is it.
Clinton is the representative of Wall Street who uses the Democratic party as a cover to take in bribes and give out special access to those who send money her way. She was corrupt back in the 90s, and she will take down the DNC if it serves her needs because she is essentially a half swing to advance the runner.

When you are only able to have two parties and neither represents the people over corporations, you have to recognize how narrow the scope of your comment is that the "Democratic Party is it." The Republicans throw scraps to the people and call them dogs. The Democrats throw scraps to the people and tell them they are their savior and hope, and to just wait until they actually pass something good for the people and eventually cave to the corporations and Republicans Republicans. But they've done a great job of convincing people they don't deserve more and that there is no other choice than what they decide you deserve after Wall Street has taken what they want. And every Dem here has complained about how their party gives into the Republicans, but won't actually take their party to task for it. Just complain and wait for the next pragmatic leader to lie to the masses about how great that hope and change is going to be, while taking in corporate money. Let's just call them Junior Republicans and get it over with. That is what Democrats truly are whether anyone likes it or not.

In the end, it is nice knowing that even those who won't admit it here will come to think to themselves, "Fuck, she really is a corrupt whore. How did I not see that? I'm going to have to come up with a reason to believe it isn't true."

Old 06-02-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was being quite literal when I said I "heard" it. It was mentioned on the radio while I ran out to get breakfast.
And it would've been too much for you to take thirty seconds to google "gonzalo curiel la raza" before repeating this thing you heard?
Old 06-02-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the end, it is nice knowing that even those who won't admit it here will come to think to themselves, "Fuck, she really is a corrupt whore. How did I not see that? I'm going to have to come up with a reason to believe it isn't true."

I do believe that about her, mostly, it's just that as bad as she might be, Trump is far worse. So conversely I ask, why do you not see that?
Old 06-02-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Oh please, all the Democratic party cares about is itself.
Pro and cons on both sides. Neither side really being for the people.
Old 06-02-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
And it would've been too much for you to take thirty seconds to google "gonzalo curiel la raza" before repeating this thing you heard?
I did. I also saw a link on Drudge (it's still there). I didn't see it reported on any mainstream media sites but then again it's not the kind of thing I would imagine mainstream media sites would want to report on - even if it is true.
Old 06-02-16, 09:57 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soon we'll have Trump saying that he's "heard" it too.
Old 06-02-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I do believe that about her, mostly, it's just that as bad as she might be, Trump is far worse. So conversely I ask, why do you not see that?

Everything seems to come around to this idea that we must choose one of these turds over the other.

Trump may be far worse. But people don't even seem to look at his history, but instead just go off his shitty personality. He is no more conservative than Hillary. He was a Democrat in 88 (iirc). He proposed a wealth tax in 92 (iirc) of 10% on the very wealthy to completely wipe out the debt. He has been in support of very liberal things and been in support of very conservative things. The problem I see is that Democrats prefer to just listen to the scare tactics of Clinton because they don't want to actually do some research themselves. I'm not saying people will decide to support Trump (I won't), but they may start to see that Hillary has absolutely nothing to offer other than "Trump will bring about WWIII!!!!!" Personally, I think that is more likely with her.

They are both populists. It is that simple. He may be far worse than Hillary, but I don't see a lot that makes it a foregone conclusion.

I understand the frustration of having someone bash on Hillary and not bash on Trump equally. It gives the impression that I prefer Trump. I don't. I think it is a toss up because of the lack of overall knowledge. I do think the evidence is pretty strong that she will use the military more and get more people killed. On a scale of 1 to 10 on actions, she will be a 7. She is a known quantity. Trump is a wildcard and could be anywhere from a 5 to a 9. He could be much worse than her. But he could also be much better. I will never vote for him. But apparently I will continue to get people thinking I will.

I'm just trying to prepare people for when the inevitable happens. She will either drop out of the race, or resign as president, though I don't believe there is any way she survives to November. One of those two will happen. The only thing she has going for her is that she won't end up with as many people convicted of crimes as Reagan did, so his record is safe. She just keeps her inner circle smaller.

So figure out what you are going to do with a Trump presidency, because that is EXACTLY what supporting Hillary will bring. And she is too much of a selfish whore to drop out. All that is bad that will happen is a result of her, not me.

And to make it clear, I do not hate Hillary because she is a corrupt whore. It is because she is a corrupt whore that I hate her.
Old 06-02-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did. I also saw a link on Drudge (it's still there). I didn't see it reported on any mainstream media sites but then again it's not the kind of thing I would imagine mainstream media sites would want to report on - even if it is true.
Yeah, the link is still there. Typical Drudge though, master of the clickbait. The article says that the La Raza Lawyers of San Diego is not associated or affiliated with National La Raza Council.

Drive-by visitors to Drudge see "La Raza" and that's all they need to form an opinion.
Old 06-02-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Pro and cons on both sides. Neither side really being for the people.
Looking out for self should be both their mottos.

we must choose one of these turds over the other.
Unfortunately.
Old 06-02-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

More for Hillary supporters to not understand.

Most don't seem to understand that most people don't believe either one of them, so trying to scare the others' supporters simply won't work this election.

But a majority of voters are not buying that he will follow through with any of those pledges, nor do they think Hillary Clinton will attempt to rein in Wall Street, limit the influence of secret money in politics or make in-state and community college tuition debt-free, according to the results of a Quinnipiac University national poll out Thursday.

While 53 percent of those surveyed said Trump would try to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, just 24 percent said he would be successful. Of all the demographic and ideological groups surveyed, only a plurality of Republicans said Trump would both try and succeed. Twenty-nine percent overall said Trump would not even attempt to build the wall.

On Trumpís plan to deport the millions of immigrants in the country illegally, 64 percent said he would try, but just 19 percent said he would prevail. Another 29 percent said Trump would not try to deport the approximately 11 million people who would be affected by such a plan.

As far as Trumpís declaration last December that all Muslims should be temporarily banned from immigrating to the U.S., 71 percent said he would try, while only roughly 3 in 10 (29 percent) said he would triumph. Even so, 21 percent said Trump would forget about the ban and not even try.

With respect to Clintonís remarks that she would like to remove secret money from politics, more than 6 in 10 (63 percent) said the former secretary of state would not even try, while 27 percent said she would attempt to do so. Just 9 percent said Clinton would be successful in that endeavor.

On Clintonís call to rein in Wall Street, 56 percent said she would not try, while just 15 percent said she would try and be able to do so. A slightly higher share of 22 percent said Clinton would follow through and be successful in implementing debt-free in-state and community college tuition, although 39 percent said she would try and fail and 32 percent said she would not try.
So to all you Hillary supporters, even Trump's supporters don't believe he will do the stuff he has said, and it is just campaign crap. That shouldn't surprise any of you because it is obvious that Hillary supporters don't believe her either. So going after anything these two say isn't a winning strategy because the supporters just decide to believe what they want from the mouths of their respective candidates.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.