Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 05-18-16, 07:14 PM
  #14226  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,984
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I don't get it ... "making more of a statement" may give you the warm fuzzies deep down inside, but what does it actually accomplish?
Taking a one in 60 million chance flyer (which I would do if the Republican weren't Trump) by voting for someone I utterly despise accomplishes so much more.
movielib is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 07:24 PM
  #14227  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
If Trump wins, then this country deserves him. Not much to do about those who won't vote for him but will suffer the consequences of a Trump presidency... but that's life.
Totally unconvincing nonsense. To illustrate: Sanders says people deserve access to health care. His supporters presumably agree. If they don't vote for Clinton, Trump may win and partially or completely repeal the ACA, causing millions to lose access to health care. Thousands will die as a result. So people deserve health care but don't deserve health care? Huh?
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 07:26 PM
  #14228  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,394
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Huh. Well to be honest, this contest could be Satan vs. Cthulhu, and I would still vote for whichever would appoint more liberal supreme court justices.

I'm surprised there isn't ANY issue that is important enough for you, that could help you make an actual choice.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 07:29 PM
  #14229  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,222
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

If it wasn't for Nader, we would've had Gore instead of Bush. I'd say lesser of 2 evils is better than the alternative, even if the alternative still sucks. I don't care how many words that writer uses, he's plain wrong, because it's a 2 person race.
slop101 is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 08:08 PM
  #14230  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

...but I have had confidence that our Constitution and judiciary will defend against any overreach by Republicans in that area.
See, this is what I thought about.

Who is more likely to defend you, the common citizen, when the government goes weirdo because they feel certain groups need protection....without participation. And by that I mean, without a national consensus via Congress or even part of a national election. Simply issuing mandates whenever one feels like it from the Oval Office on a Pick N' Choose basis, wreaks of a form of dictatorship, authoritarian-like government, which does not want the people to discuss the issue. It just wants them to obey the rules. End of discussion.

That is not good for unification. It creates even more hatred and diversification.

I've seen so much PERSONAL use of government authority on groups of people, political groups, in order to "balance" the politics or even get an edge over the last 8 years. This is completely wrong, and when you have a President and other key government figures using their jobs as merely a political sword instead of being for ALL AMERICANS, it very much becomes a non-Democracy.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 08:31 PM
  #14231  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,254
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Trump is all about Trump, he's not in it for ALL AMERICANS.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 08:39 PM
  #14232  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,254
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Here is a good Editorial on Sanders, his supporters won't like it but it is spot on.

Sen. Sanders, rein in your supporters: Our view
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 08:41 PM
  #14233  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

The idea that Trump wouldn't abuse executive privilege is just
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 08:55 PM
  #14234  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,222
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The idea that Trump wouldn't abuse executive privilege is just
No kidding. If anything, he's gonna be shocked that being president isn't the same as being a monarch and that he's going to have to deal with checks and balances.

Seriously, if he does become president, he's probably going to do something impeachable almost immediately.
slop101 is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 09:24 PM
  #14235  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,188
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
If it wasn't for Nader, we would've had Gore instead of Bush. I'd say lesser of 2 evils is better than the alternative, even if the alternative still sucks. I don't care how many words that writer uses, he's plain wrong, because it's a 2 person race.
You seem like a good guy, but the demonization of Nader is totally unreasonable. In a democracy he had every right to run. Don't blame Nader for Gore's loss; blame the 50 million people who voted for Bush.
Norm de Plume is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 09:30 PM
  #14236  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,280
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
No kidding. If anything, he's gonna be shocked that being president isn't the same as being a monarch and that he's going to have to deal with checks and balances.

Seriously, if he does become president, he's probably going to do something impeachable almost immediately.
I think either one will abuse the privilege. Maybe we'll get smart and realize that the president shouldn't have such power as it stands now.

Trump has a history of bringing people together to make deals. Can the same be said of Hillary?
General Zod is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 09:46 PM
  #14237  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The idea that Trump wouldn't abuse executive privilege is just
Yeah, I can TOTALLY see Trump waking up in the middle of the night, telling public schools that prayer will now be forced in the classroom, and it's part of a new society of acceptance. Maybe from Cruz, but not from Trump. He's more of a person who wants discussion and discourse...and wants the participating parties to REACH AN AGREEMENT.

See, that's the difference between Obama/Hillary and Trump. Trump wants to make deals...not mandate the illusion of discussion of one.

We've already seen a President abuse his power and make social decisions without discussion. We've already seen a SecState make her own decisions outside of the rules and regs 99% of the rest of Federal employees must abide by. And we've seen the justifications both of these people tell Americans...and most don't fall for the bullshit anymore.

So, at the worse, we MIGHT have somebody who will do the same, but it will be from a Republican perspective. I suppose Democrats will finally feel what it was like under Obama.

But I don't think this will happen. Trump wants discussion and solutions.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 09:48 PM
  #14238  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,280
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

I see Mika Brzezinski (MSNBC) is calling on Debbie Wasserman Shultz to step down over showing favoritism and rigging the nomination for Hillary. I don't think there much doubt she is doing that but she's the DNC chair.. she can do what she thinks is best for the party.
General Zod is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 10:01 PM
  #14239  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
[Trump]'s more of a person who wants discussion and discourse...
How about no?
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 10:09 PM
  #14240  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Trump probably thinks dialectics is a medical procedure for people with kidney disease.
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 10:16 PM
  #14241  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,000
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, I can TOTALLY see Trump waking up in the middle of the night, telling public schools that prayer will now be forced in the classroom, and it's part of a new society of acceptance. Maybe from Cruz, but not from Trump. He's more of a person who wants discussion and discourse...and wants the participating parties to REACH AN AGREEMENT.

See, that's the difference between Obama/Hillary and Trump. Trump wants to make deals...not mandate the illusion of discussion of one.

We've already seen a President abuse his power and make social decisions without discussion. We've already seen a SecState make her own decisions outside of the rules and regs 99% of the rest of Federal employees must abide by. And we've seen the justifications both of these people tell Americans...and most don't fall for the bullshit anymore.

So, at the worse, we MIGHT have somebody who will do the same, but it will be from a Republican perspective. I suppose Democrats will finally feel what it was like under Obama.

But I don't think this will happen. Trump wants discussion and solutions.
You're honestly sounding like the Obama supporters in 2008. "He's going to change the culture of Washington!"

Instead, the Republicans refused to make any deals with the Democrats. You were glad that they wouldn't make any deals. You and I argued about it.

After dealing with a full court press by the Republicans, do you expect the Democrats to be any easier to deal with if they win a majority in the Senate?
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 10:19 PM
  #14242  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, I can TOTALLY see Trump waking up in the middle of the night, telling public schools that prayer will now be forced in the classroom, and it's part of a new society of acceptance. Maybe from Cruz, but not from Trump. He's more of a person who wants discussion and discourse...and wants the participating parties to REACH AN AGREEMENT.

See, that's the difference between Obama/Hillary and Trump. Trump wants to make deals...not mandate the illusion of discussion of one.

We've already seen a President abuse his power and make social decisions without discussion. We've already seen a SecState make her own decisions outside of the rules and regs 99% of the rest of Federal employees must abide by. And we've seen the justifications both of these people tell Americans...and most don't fall for the bullshit anymore.

So, at the worse, we MIGHT have somebody who will do the same, but it will be from a Republican perspective. I suppose Democrats will finally feel what it was like under Obama.

But I don't think this will happen. Trump wants discussion and solutions.
Stop, just stop. Trump insults anyone who disagrees with him, that isn't discussion. His solutions are nonsense at best and proto-fascist at worst. He's a man who loves power, always has. Why do you think that would change if he's given the most power of any person in the entire free world?

Discussion and solutions, bullshit.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 10:43 PM
  #14243  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,746
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Trump has already said he'd order troops to commit war crimes, would deport people based on their religion, and will force a sovereign nation to pay for a border wall between our countries.

When exactly is Trump going to "reign it in"?
Draven is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:00 PM
  #14244  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Now Sanders is demanding another debate with Clinton. It would be hosted by...Fox News.

Let me consult my Magic 8 Ball: "Don't count on it."
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:34 PM
  #14245  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,453
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
would deport people based on their religion
Wasn't aware of this one... he'd stop a certain religion from coming in. (which of course will have to be changed to be based on country of origin) Reference if you have it on hand, but it's not a big deal.
Artman is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:42 PM
  #14246  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Now Sanders is demanding another debate with Clinton. It would be hosted by...Fox News.

Let me consult my Magic 8 Ball: "Don't count on it."
It seems as if Hillary is the only candidate who needs to be protected from the public.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:45 PM
  #14247  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Trump has already said he'd order troops to commit war crimes, would deport people based on their religion, and will force a sovereign nation to pay for a border wall between our countries.

When exactly is Trump going to "reign it in"?
When Trump share's a prison cell with Hillary!
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:51 PM
  #14248  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Stop, just stop. Trump insults anyone who disagrees with him, that isn't discussion. His solutions are nonsense at best and proto-fascist at worst. He's a man who loves power, always has. Why do you think that would change if he's given the most power of any person in the entire free world?

Discussion and solutions, bullshit.
And Hillary doesn't like power? Yeah, she's the most humble woman I know of.

Bullshit?

Trump was the #1 enemy of even Republicans.

Look at where he is today.

That's not bullshit.

That's called discussions and finding solutions to problems, so that a group of people can move forward.

Is Hillary and the DNC finding solutions to Bernie? Nope. It's just more accusations and divisive behavior, but it's something we all know is very much in the blood and genetics of the DNC. That's what they are. They don't want to make progress. They don't want to move forward. They want it like it's always been, which is, a fixed system, benefiting only them. Anyone who brings new ideas...is called names, invalidated, and tossed aside.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:56 PM
  #14249  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
And Hillary doesn't like power? Yeah, she's the most humble woman I know of.

Bullshit?

Trump was the #1 enemy of even Republicans.

Look at where he is today.

That's not bullshit.

That's called discussions and finding solutions to problems, so that a group of people can move forward.

Is Hillary and the DNC finding solutions to Bernie? Nope. It's just more accusations and divisive behavior, but it's something we all know is very much in the blood and genetics of the DNC. That's what they are. They don't want to make progress. They don't want to move forward. They want it like it's always been, which is, a fixed system, benefiting only them. Anyone who brings new ideas...is called names, invalidated, and tossed aside.
You are a broken record. How many times have I said I'm not a Hillary supporter? Your answer to everything is "Well what about Hillary!"

Trump has been winning despite the lack of support from the Republican establishment (or you could say because of the lack of support, since a lot of people are disenchanted with the establishment this cycle). That's not finding a solution, that's exploiting resentment. In Trump's case, the resentment has a strong racist component to it.

I am extremely unhappy with how the DNC and the media have treated Bernie Sanders, but being unhappy about that won't make Trump a great president. Nothing will make Trump a great president.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 11:59 PM
  #14250  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,746
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Wasn't aware of this one... he'd stop a certain religion from coming in. (which of course will have to be changed to be based on country of origin) Reference if you have it on hand, but it's not a big deal.
You're right, I got my insane Trump statements mixed up - Muslims can't come in anymore (and ones living here are excepted, but according to him we still must be "vigilant" towards them). He's deporting 11 million people and ending birthright citizenship with a "deportation force". Hard to keep them all straight.
Draven is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.