Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 05-17-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics & less abortion!

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I just never get the feeling that when a controversy over "unreleased documents" occurs, it's about the content of the documents. It's just a smokescreen. Find something that a candidate/official hasn't made public yet, demand it to be made public, accuse of stonewalling when they don't, call it forgery if they do. Repeat. This can be tax returns, speech transcripts, college transcripts, birth certificates. And as I said, it happens on both sides.
The people that do this (and it happens regularly, with the same fervor), do exactly what you're doing right now; "Shouldn't we have a right to know about this??". And it's hard to argue that we don't. But my point is that it's always more about the candidate/official's handling than of the content itself, and that nothing he/she does will truly satisfy the critics.
Taxes are different. Trump releasing his taxes would most definitely satisfy me. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 05-17-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trump is going to release his tax returns, but it won't be on your timeline or anyone else's, other than his own. Can we respect that. I can. I'd like to see his tax returns as well. I'm just genuinely curious. But I certainly won't DEMAND he release them NOW as it won't help me make a better decision about him, and I'm sure it won't help anyone who is not a Trump supporter...somehow magically score points with him.
Old 05-17-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
It's too bad that a small percentage of people commit violent acts and end up giving everyone a bad name in the eyes of hateful and/or fearful conservatives. A lot of progressives believe in pacifism or self-defense alone. In fact, people on the right often mock progressives by calling them hippie, tree-hugger, etc. and implying that they are wimps.
Give 'em hell Nevada!
Nevada Democrats: Sanders campaign has violent streak
By MICHELLE RINDELS and NICHOLAS RICCARDI
May. 16, 2016 8:39 PM EDT

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada's Democratic party on Monday warned the Democratic National Committee that Sen. Bernie Sanders' supporters have a penchant for violence and may seek to disrupt the party's national convention in July, as they did during the Nevada convention Saturday.

The allegation is the latest fallout from a divisive Nevada Democratic convention that had to be shut down because security at the Paris Las Vegas hotel could no longer ensure order on Saturday night. The gathering closed with some Sanders supporters throwing chairs; later, some made death threats against state party chairwoman Roberta Lange.

Sanders' backers had been protesting convention rules that ultimately led to Hillary Clinton winning more pledged delegates. Clinton won the state's caucuses in February, 53-47, but Sanders backers hoped to pick up extra delegates by packing county and state party gatherings.

Sanders had released a statement Friday night asking supporters to work "together respectfully and constructively" at the convention. But the state party alleged in its letter to the co-chairs of the DNC Rules and By-laws committee, "The explosive situation arose in large part because a portion of the community of Sanders delegates arrived at the Nevada Democratic State Convention believing itself to be a vanguard intent upon sparking a street-fight rather than attending an orderly political party process."

Michael Briggs, a Sanders campaign spokesman, said, "We do not condone violence or encourage violence or even threats of violence." He added that the campaign "had no role in encouraging the activity that the party is complaining about. We have a First Amendment and respect the rights of the people to make their voices heard."

On Saturday, Sanders backers shouted down the keynote speaker, Sen. Barbara Boxer, and others they thought were tilting the rules in Clinton's favor. Protesters shouted obscenities and rushed the dais to protest rulings. The letter by the state party's general counsel, Bradley S. Schrager, warns that similarly chaotic scenes could unfold in Philadelphia, site of the Democratic National Committee's July convention.

"We believe, unfortunately, that the tactics and behavior on display here in Nevada are harbingers of things to come as Democrats gather in Philadelphia in July for our National Convention," Schrager wrote. "We write to alert you to what we perceive as the Sanders campaign's penchant for extra-parliamentary behavior — indeed, actual violence — in place of democratic conduct in a convention setting, and furthermore what we can only describe as their encouragement of, and complicity in, a very dangerous atmosphere that ended in chaos and physical threats to fellow Democrats."

Several Sanders backers have condemned some of the threats against Lange and other actions Saturday. Former state assemblywoman Lucy Flores, a current congressional candidate, said in a statement: "There were actions over the weekend and at the Democratic convention that very clearly crossed the line. Progressives need to speak out against those: Making threats against someone's life, defacing private property, and hurling vulgar language at our female leaders."

State party offices remained closed Monday for security reasons after Sanders supporters posted Lange's home and business addresses, email and cell phone number online. Copies of angry and threatening texts to Lange were included with the letter.

Lange said she'd been receiving hundreds of profanity-laced calls and texts from inside and outside of the U.S., threatening her life and her family. Lange said the restaurant where she works has received so many calls it had to unplug the phone.

"It is endless, and the longer it goes the worse it gets," Lange said in an interview. "I feel threatened everywhere I go."

__

Associated Press Congressional Correspondent Erica Werner in Washington contributed to this report.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/131ea...violent-streak

Committing violent acts and giving everyone a bad name -- not just for hateful and/or fearful conservatives.
Old 05-17-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"We believe, unfortunately, that the tactics and behavior on display here in Nevada are harbingers of things to come as Democrats gather in Philadelphia in July for our National Convention," Schrager wrote. "We write to alert you to what we perceive as the Sanders campaign's penchant for extra-parliamentary behavior — indeed, actual violence — in place of democratic conduct in a convention setting, and furthermore what we can only describe as their encouragement of, and complicity in, a very dangerous atmosphere that ended in chaos and physical threats to fellow Democrats."
Bradley S. Schrager. Another pusillanimous politician who's afraid to meet the voice of the people. Democratic conduct? Yeah, if you like being treated as a lap dog, who gets leftovers once the Democrat Elites take their "fair share". Tossing leftovers to the peasant voters seems to be a rather common theme among those special DNC and RNC controllers.
Old 05-17-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Trump is going to release his tax returns, but it won't be on your timeline or anyone else's, other than his own. Can we respect that. I can.
Shocking
Old 05-17-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump is going to release his tax returns, but it won't be on your timeline or anyone else's, other than his own. Can we respect that. I can. I'd like to see his tax returns as well. I'm just genuinely curious. But I certainly won't DEMAND he release them NOW as it won't help me make a better decision about him, and I'm sure it won't help anyone who is not a Trump supporter...somehow magically score points with him.
You are correct because those who are not supporting Trump are not concerned with his wealth, where his money goes, or how much taxes he pays.

I contend that it is those WHO DO support Trump because of his alleged wealth and success in business should want to know. Reasonable voters would want to know if the basis for their support is grounded in reality or in Trump's imagination. But then again... low-education, low-information.
Old 05-17-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Science research? Yeah, ok, let's introduce that wonderful research.

Considering the average Trump supporter doesn't believe in the Global Warming hype but does believe there are still environmental concerns which need to be addressed...yes, they are already ahead in the politics of the truth of Environmental Correctness, and they don't believe it takes 1,000 gallons of water to produce a pound of hamburger but only a few gallons to produce a carrot...or some other nonsense crap.

And Trump supporters certainly do not have knee-jerk reactions such as publicly stating they want to put coal miners out of business...simply to appease the crowds they are speaking to...then backtrack only days later, saying they want to include coal miners in the discussion and want to make sure coal miners have new jobs. Yeah, right.

Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

I'm suggesting Liberals don't know shit about Global Warming or how to solve it or deal with it, and are simply believing the fairy tales Elite Democrats have sold them. Hybrid cars. Windmills. Carbon Footprints. Continuous meetings worldwide about contracts with countries who aren't held to any responsibility and are in charge of policing themselves. All those meetings are...are a nice big vacation for politicians...billed to YOU, THE U.S. TAXPAYER.

It's all about making money off of ignorant Liberals (the young don't know any better--the old...just have "hope" things will change)...while giving big businesses who do pollute...a big FAT FUCKING PASS.

Please don't try to introduce the Intellectual Liberal argument. It doesn't work. Denying something does not mean the problem goes away. But Liberals and their environmental change parades have done absolutely nothing to change the environment. If anything, it's gone from bad to worse. Banning plastic bags and instead resorting to cutting down MORE trees for paper bags...yeah that makes a lotto-fuckin-sense. With all the talk and legislation done over the last 8 years, you'd think we would be living in a Green Wonderland, where everyone was responsible. Reality check. The only people who have benefited from this agenda are the Democrat (and Republican) Elites who are laughing their fat asses all the way to the bank.
The more you say, the clearer it becomes to the rest of us that I was correct. Clearly Trump is your guy. Bravo.
Old 05-17-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yes. Shame me for calling Chelsea a word.
I'm trying to figure out how you consider a graduate of Stanford a "retard".
Old 05-17-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
"Liberal Elite Schools only teach retards how to lie to get Federal funding called 'research' which is a big conspiracy... somethingsomething... transgender folk in bathrooms... Muslim terrorist training grounds scam called "student VISAs"... lied about Benghazi."
Old 05-17-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
There is nothing to figure out. If you're not already on the same side, there is nothing that will make you "figure out" or make sense of any of the shit that goes trough their minds and out their mouths.
Old 05-17-16, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
"Liberal Elite Schools only teach retards how to lie to get Federal funding called 'research' which is a big conspiracy... somethingsomething... transgender folk in bathrooms... Muslim terrorist training grounds scam called "student VISAs"... lied about Benghazi."
While it's certainly elite, Stanford doesn't leap to mind when I think of liberal universities. Heritage Foundation and all that...
Old 05-17-16, 03:22 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Bernie's response to the Nevada Democratic Party

“It is imperative that the Democratic leadership, both nationally and in the states, understand that the political world is changing and that millions of Americans are outraged at establishment politics and establishment economics. The people of this country want a government which represents all of us, not just the 1 percent, super PACs and wealthy campaign contributors.

“The Democratic Party has a choice. It can open its doors and welcome into the party people who are prepared to fight for real economic and social change – people who are willing to take on Wall Street, corporate greed and a fossil fuel industry which is destroying this planet. Or the party can choose to maintain its status quo structure, remain dependent on big-money campaign contributions and be a party with limited participation and limited energy.

“Within the last few days there have been a number of criticisms made against my campaign organization. Party leaders in Nevada, for example, claim that the Sanders campaign has a ‘penchant for violence.’ That is nonsense. Our campaign has held giant rallies all across this country, including in high-crime areas, and there have been zero reports of violence. Our campaign of course believes in non-violent change and it goes without saying that I condemn any and all forms of violence, including the personal harassment of individuals. But, when we speak of violence, I should add here that months ago, during the Nevada campaign, shots were fired into my campaign office in Nevada and apartment housing complex my campaign staff lived in was broken into and ransacked.

“If the Democratic Party is to be successful in November, it is imperative that all state parties treat our campaign supporters with fairness and the respect that they have earned. I am happy to say that has been the case at state conventions in Maine, Alaska, Colorado and Hawaii where good discussions were held and democratic decisions were reached. Unfortunately, that was not the case at the Nevada convention. At that convention the Democratic leadership used its power to prevent a fair and transparent process from taking place. Among other things:

*The chair of the convention announced that the convention rules passed on voice vote, when the vote was a clear no-vote. At the very least, the Chair should have allowed for a headcount.

*The chair allowed its Credentials Committee to en mass rule that 64 delegates were ineligible without offering an opportunity for 58 of them to be heard. That decision enabled the Clinton campaign to end up with a 30-vote majority.

*The chair refused to acknowledge any motions made from the floor or allow votes on them.

*The chair refused to accept any petitions for amendments to the rules that were properly submitted.

“These are on top of failures at the precinct and county conventions including trying to depose and then threaten with arrest the Clark County convention credentials chair because she was operating too fairly.”
https://berniesanders.com/press-rele...tement-nevada/

So the party can do whatever the hell it wants, and anyone who is upset becomes the problem. How excatly do they think they're going to unite voters behind Hillary again?
Old 05-17-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I just never get the feeling that when a controversy over "unreleased documents" occurs, it's about the content of the documents. It's just a smokescreen. Find something that a candidate/official hasn't made public yet, demand it to be made public, accuse of stonewalling when they don't, call it forgery if they do. Repeat. This can be tax returns, speech transcripts, college transcripts, birth certificates. And as I said, it happens on both sides.
The people that do this (and it happens regularly, with the same fervor), do exactly what you're doing right now; "Shouldn't we have a right to know about this??". And it's hard to argue that we don't. But my point is that it's always more about the candidate/official's handling than of the content itself, and that nothing he/she does will truly satisfy the critics.
In a lot of cases it is. In Mitt Romney's case it certainly was. Remember Harry Reed saying "it's been said he hasn't paid his taxes". I think if he hadn't paid his taxes it would have been apparent by then. They just wanted to get out there just how rich he was so they could suggest A) he wasn't paying enough taxes and B) he's not one of us, he's one of the elite who can't understand us.

This year, I think they are looking for lies or at least hypocrisy. In Trumps case is he really worth the 9 billion or whatever it is he claims? He's made his name by pretending he has more than he really does. I'm sure he's a big 1%er but I doubt he has half of what he claims.

In Hillary's case Bernie was looking for transcripts to see if behind closed doors she was cozying up to the banks while publicly "calling them out". For the conspiracy theorists, is she really giving a meaty speech for 20 minutes for $200,000 or is she giving them lip service and fluff in order for them to have a legitimate way to funnel her $200,000.
Old 05-17-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
While it's certainly elite, Stanford doesn't leap to mind when I think of liberal universities. Heritage Foundation and all that...
It's pretty Liberal. I'm only 20 minutes from the campus and have visited it often with friends enrolled there. There is a vocal Conservative minority there with their own newspaper though.
Old 05-17-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post

So the party can do whatever the hell it wants, and anyone who is upset becomes the problem. How excatly do they think they're going to unite voters behind Hillary again?
I think unity is a pipe dream. At this point both parties are playing the "not nearly as bad as the other guy" card.
Old 05-17-16, 03:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Go Go Gary Johnson!

Longer, better, more recent interview can be found here: https://www.podcastone.com/Penn-Jillettes-Sunday-School
Old 05-17-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

With fear, intimidation, and name calling. Familiar, isn't it.
Old 05-17-16, 04:10 PM
Banned by request

Science research? Yeah, ok, let's introduce that wonderful research.

Considering the average Trump supporter doesn't believe in the Global Warming hype but does believe there are still environmental concerns which need to be addressed...yes, they are already ahead in the politics of the truth of Environmental Correctness, and they don't believe it takes 1,000 gallons of water to produce a pound of hamburger but only a few gallons to produce a carrot...or some other nonsense crap.

And Trump supporters certainly do not have knee-jerk reactions such as publicly stating they want to put coal miners out of business...simply to appease the crowds they are speaking to...then backtrack only days later, saying they want to include coal miners in the discussion and want to make sure coal miners have new jobs. Yeah, right.

Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

I'm suggesting Liberals don't know shit about Global Warming or how to solve it or deal with it, and are simply believing the fairy tales Elite Democrats have sold them. Hybrid cars. Windmills. Carbon Footprints. Continuous meetings worldwide about contracts with countries who aren't held to any responsibility and are in charge of policing themselves. All those meetings are...are a nice big vacation for politicians...billed to YOU, THE U.S. TAXPAYER.

It's all about making money off of ignorant Liberals (the young don't know any better--the old...just have "hope" things will change)...while giving big businesses who do pollute...a big FAT FUCKING PASS.

Please don't try to introduce the Intellectual Liberal argument. It doesn't work. Denying something does not mean the problem goes away. But Liberals and their environmental change parades have done absolutely nothing to change the environment. If anything, it's gone from bad to worse. Banning plastic bags and instead resorting to cutting down MORE trees for paper bags...yeah that makes a lotto-fuckin-sense. With all the talk and legislation done over the last 8 years, you'd think we would be living in a Green Wonderland, where everyone was responsible. Reality check. The only people who have benefited from this agenda are the Democrat (and Republican) Elites who are laughing their fat asses all the way to the bank.
What's funny is that our resident Chicken Little, who is so deathly afraid of brown people that he's willing to throw in his lot with a proto-fascist liar, does not believe in the closest thing we have in real life to "the sky is falling".

Given how consistently wrong he is on so many subjects, I can see why DVD Polizei is so perpetually angry. I'd always be furious too if everything I believed came down to off the cuff remarks from Drumpf.
Old 05-17-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kinda what I was saying a couple days ago...

"People are overestimating the power of Trump’s white supporters"
Old 05-17-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post

Sanders is, to be blunt, full of shit.* His characterization of the events is untrue. And a statement like this serves only to inflame the passions of his more violent supporters, to no good end.

Sanders is losing, as has been inevitable since Super Tuesday. Neither he nor many of his supporters are taking it well.

* Here's an example of one of the people denied a seat by the credentials committee:
Spoiler:
Old 05-17-16, 04:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sanders is, to be blunt, full of shit.* His characterization of the events is untrue. And a statement like this serves only to inflame the passions of his more violent supporters, to no good end. Sanders is losing, as has been inevitable since Super Tuesday. Neither he nor many of his supporters are taking it well. * Here's an example of one of the people denied a seat by the credentials committee: * SPOILER *
Oh good, you have a single example of someone who wasn't a registered D. What about the videos showing how the temporary rules were jammed down the throat of the convention when the voice vote clearly was in opposition? What about the fact that they started voting before the convention was scheduled to start, before many delegates were even in the room?
Old 05-17-16, 04:28 PM
Enormous Genitals

I think Trump should choose John Miller to be his VP running mate. Or maybe John Barron.
Old 05-17-16, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

Sanders is, to be blunt, full of shit.* His characterization of the events is untrue. And a statement like this serves only to inflame the passions of his more violent supporters, to no good end.

Sanders is losing, as has been inevitable since Super Tuesday. Neither he nor many of his supporters are taking it well.

* Here's an example of one of the people denied a seat by the credentials committee:
Spoiler:
Oh right, his remarks about not condoning violence and not advocating violence will just spur on the violence. Remind me next time I want people to smoke near me to tell them not to smoke near me.

The events of the convention have been well documented. If you think the actions of the party officials were completely on the up and up, then Hillary Clinton really is the perfect candidate for you.
Old 05-17-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Oh right, his remarks about not condoning violence and not advocating violence will just spur on the violence. Remind me next time I want people to smoke near me to tell them not to smoke near me.

The events of the convention have been well documented. If you think the actions of the party officials were completely on the up and up, then Hillary Clinton really is the perfect candidate for you.
"I don't support violence, but really, I'm the victim here and the DNC is treading on dangerous ground" is hardly a clarion call for peace.

Yes, the events of the convention have been well-documented. Here, for example. I'd be curious to see the documentation that you believe supports Sanders' claims of fraud at the convention.
Old 05-17-16, 05:06 PM
Enormous Genitals

I'd be curious to see the documentation that you believe supports Sanders' claims of fraud at the convention.
HAVE YOU SEEN THE VIDEOS?! I think that declaring a voice vote in your favor and ignoring legitimately placed motions constitutes fraud. Maybe you don't. Then Hillary is certainly the candidate for you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.