Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 11-07-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread

Gov Sandoval or Rubio.... Gov's Martinez or Haley for VP.
Old 11-07-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interesting, probably controversial analysis of what the Republican party needs to consider if they hope to win another national election:
Dying of the White: Requiem for the 2012 Election

"It makes me wonder who my fellow citizens are. I've got to be honest, I feel like I've lost touch with what the identity of America is right now. I really do." — Boston Republican voter Marianne Doherty, on her feelings following Obama's reelection.

Poor, scared, Bostonian white lady Marianne Doherty is not alone today. Last night, with Virginia bending toward President Obama more and more by the minute, cartoonish Fox alarmist Bill O'Reilly used the smarts he got at Harvard to whinge that Obama was winning because "the white establishment is now a minority" and blacks, Latinos, women, and other groups want "stuff." Later, when Obama was the clear winner, O'Reilly's fellow idiotic rich man Donald Trump went apoplectic on Twitter, calling for a "revolution" to take back the country, a vague call to violence he's since deleted.

Across America today, conservatives, many of them white and old, are wondering what went wrong. How did a black guy with a Muslim name beat his aged wealthy opponent and his opponent's exciting young running mate—again? There are a host of missteps one can point to in Romney's campaign, of course: his inability to articulate any real economic plans, his unwillingness to be fully transparent about his own finances, the time he was caught calling half the country lazy takers to a room full of other millionaires. All of that stuff and more certainly didn't help Romney during his bid for the White House. But if you'll allow me to take a step back and speak in blunter terms, what happened last night is this: The brown people and the black people and the women handed the white men's asses to them as unsentimentally as white men have bought and sold and manipulated America for centuries now. Welcome to the future.

Though this election cycle was steeped in a deep skepticism of math and its proponents—"Unskew the world!"—it would do conservatives well to look at some numbers today: 75 percent is the chunk of the Latino vote that went to Obama, according to polling data, along with 93 percent of blacks. Seventy-three percent of Asians broke for the president, and only 44 percent of women voted for Romney.

Not that Team Romney was shocked by the electorate's racial divisions, of course, as it had intentionally banked on courting the majority of the white vote and ignoring minorities: "Romney's camp is focused intently on capturing at least 61 percent of white voters," noted the National Journal in August. "That would provide him a slim national majority-so long as whites constitute at least 74 percent of the vote, as they did last time, and Obama doesn't improve on his 80 percent showing with minorities." As we know now, things didn't work out as they planned.

In a mostly white America, these realities are bad enough. But adding to the GOP's woes is that, in just a couple decades, the U.S. is going to be a country where brown people outnumber white people by a lot—then they're double-fucked.

The grim realization that the world is a far different and more diverse place than it once was has fallen like a shadow over the GOP since its defeat last night, and the resultant fear is turning its already pallid complexion an even lighter shade of alabaster. Besides the over-the-top, RAcialHOlyWAr kvetching from O'Reilly and Trump, Fox News contributor Dick Morris, who had predicted an Obama trouncing, is eating a big black crow today. "[T]his is the new America," he said on Fox after Romney's loss. Adding: "The percentage of single women, minorities and voters under 30 is so large at this point that unless the Republican Party fundamentally changes its appeal to those voters, it can never win an election."

On Fox News' website, former State Department adviser Christian Whiton mostly missed the mark—"Romney was too moderate"—before getting to the real issue in his final paragraph (emphasis mine):
There is a new generation of Reagans and Gingriches out there somewhere. There are probably even more than a few of them who are Latino. The task of conservatives and Republicans is to find them, cultivate them, and get behind them.
Predating the Republican acknowledgment that it needs minorities in its ranks by a few hours was Politico editor-in-chief John Harris, who said on C-SPAN early last evening that he thinks the Romney-Ryan ticket will be the last one composed solely of white men in American history.

While only time will tell if Republicans will go the way of the Whigs before them, other entities outside of politics should learn from the GOP's all-white fumbling. Earlier this year, new indie comedy grrrl Lena Dunham made a TV show about living in Brooklyn that, like so many New York shows before it, cast minorities as mostly bums and nannies, colorful background noise to the white girl tragi-comedy unfolding weekly. The backlash—of which I was a part—was instant and sustained. Last month, after a much ballyhooed 2011 relaunch, Newsweek announced that it would cease publishing at the end of this year after a brief run in which race baiting Muslims became a business tactic. The now defunct Newsweek's "Muslim Rage" stunt was, once again, roundly and instantly condemned.

Increasingly, the message in America is clear: If your organization or project is a myopic den of white homogeneity, or if your strategy for success includes trying to gin up fear around people who are different, you are destined for irrelevance, and nobody will care how rich you are, or who your daddy is, or at what ivy-draped liberal arts school you cut your perfect teeth. Those who haven't learned that lesson are mocked, shunned, or, worse, totally ignored. Either way, they don't win elections.

If you'd like to follow the Republican example and turn your nose up at diversity and bridge-building between races, genders, and creeds, more power to you. It is, as the call of children and patriots alike says, a free country. But don't be surprised when you end up like Romney in his final moment last night: red-eyed, tired, dizzy, and congratulating the black guy who just beat him at his own game.
Old 11-07-12, 07:21 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
I think Warren's name is definitely going to come up. Whether she has aspirations is a different matter. To me, she's an even more intelligent and definitely more likeable woman candidate than Hillary. I'd love to see her in a debate. I think she would destroy anyone the Republicans would put up if the most recent group of candidates is any indication.
I have to disagree. Hillary Clinton will coast to a victory if she decides to run. She is extremely popular and has the ability to turn red states blue (particularly around Arkansas). The Clintons are loved by minorities and working class whites alike. Her experience is unbelievable. Warren doesn't come close in comparison as a viable candidate.
Old 11-07-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Christie/Rubio ticket
Old 11-07-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Living in California as a conservative, my vote is about as relevant as another gallon of water over Niagara Falls.

So, it really doesn't matter who runs, cause my vote won't matter.
Old 11-07-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
I wouldn't vote for Christie now if he personally came to my house and handed me a million in cash.
He's got four years to bash Obama to your satisfaction. Give him a chance.
Old 11-07-12, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
An interesting, probably controversial analysis f what the Republican party needs to consider if they hope to win another national election:
Probably?

Old 11-07-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
I'm sure obama will find some excuse to suspend it. After all, he's not done remaking America yet. And of course, the libs will agree with him in lockstep.
If the 22nd Amendment were repealed, my vote would be for Bill Clinton!
Old 11-07-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

An interesting, probably controversial analysis of what the Republican party needs to consider if they hope to win another national election:
Time for a good old Ethnic Cleansing?
Old 11-07-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
Probably?

I think it's fairly obvious that there's a lot of truth in there. The numbers don't lie.

Whatever, though. I'm a liberal, so I'm absolutely fine with the Republican party continuing to alienate and/or ignore women, gays, Hispanics, Latinos, Asian-Americans, and African-Americans. They can knock themselves out.
Old 11-07-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
If the 22nd Amendment were repealed, my vote would be for Bill Clinton!
I would too - with one condition. All the aides would have to be of the male gender.
Old 11-07-12, 08:23 PM

I think it's fairly obvious that there's a lot of truth in there. The numbers don't lie.

Whatever, though. I'm a liberal, so I'm absolutely fine with the Republican party continuing to alienate and/or ignore women, gays, Hispanics, Latinos, Asian-Americans, and African-Americans. They can knock themselves out.
That's a new one. You sure you didn't leave anyone else out?

At any rate, whatever truth you find in the article is undermined by inflammatory rhetoric like "The brown people and the black people and the women handed the white men's asses to them as unsentimentally as white men have bought and sold and manipulated America for centuries now."

You really think that's helpful in any way?
Old 11-07-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in a landslide.
Old 11-07-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I would too - with one condition. All the aides would have to be of the male gender.
Why? I'd find him all the booty his heart could handle. A happy president is a good president. A sexually frustrated president? Probably wages more wars.
Old 11-07-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure if the Christie suggestions are jokes are not.... even assuming he wins what will be a tough re-election next yr, he has damaged himself probably irreparably within the Republican party. Than there's the other "big" elephant in the room... image - which is a big part, if not the biggest part in today's elections.

And if you lose elections, usually you go down, not up in offices you go for.
Old 11-07-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Will chris christie or mitch daniels run? 2 guys that might have had a better chance than romney this time around.
If you honestly think Chris Christie will fly in the south and Midwest, you are nuts
Old 11-07-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Well, people are fatter in the south and midwest.
I was more alluding to the fact that Italian = Black to large swaths of the country. We are only white people on the coasts.
Old 11-07-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 162 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Yeah but it's on his mother's side so he doesn't have the last name.

Of all the challenges he would have in a campaign, his ethnicity is not very high on the list.
Yeah, after most of the Midwest voted for a black man named Barrack Hussein Obama, I would guess an Italian named Chris Christie wouldn't face any major hurdles.
Old 11-07-12, 10:14 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Why are people pissed at Christie? Because he didn't lie and say that Obama fucked up his response to Sandy? Reaching across the aisle shouldn't make you a pariah.
Old 11-07-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Why are people pissed at Christie? Because he didn't lie and say that Obama fucked up his response to Sandy? Reaching across the aisle shouldn't make you a pariah.
It shouldn't, but for some people loyalty is more important than honesty.
Old 11-07-12, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There won't be a 2016 election because Obama will turn into satan and destroy the world. WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!
Old 11-07-12, 10:48 PM
En vacance

Loved you in Final Fantasy 6.
Old 11-07-12, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
Loved you in Final Fantasy 6.
Thanks.

Obama is gonna go all Kefka on us.
Old 11-07-12, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I agree but unfortunately a lot of Republicans obviously do not. They are acting like he came out and endorsed Obama when all he did was give his honest opinion of the Feds response.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 11-07-12 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-07-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Darkhorse democratic candidate: John Hickenlooper (Colorado governor).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.