Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 11-07-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
I'm sure obama will find some excuse to suspend it. After all, he's not done remaking America yet. And of course, the libs will agree with him in lockstep.
Nah, we voted for someone we disagree with on most issues. That's how stupid we are.
Old 11-07-12, 02:09 AM
En vacance

Carrey/Schwarzenegger 2016.
Old 11-07-12, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
I think Warren's name is definitely going to come up. Whether she has aspirations is a different matter. To me, she's an even more intelligent and definitely more likeable woman candidate than Hillary. I'd love to see her in a debate. I think she would destroy anyone the Republicans would put up if the most recent group of candidates is any indication.
Well, she'd have a lock on the Native American vote.
Old 11-07-12, 02:22 AM
Banned

I predict Xi Jinpang will win 100% of the vote in 2016.
Old 11-07-12, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I predict Xi Jinpang will win 100% of the vote in 2016.
You're off by a year. And by, you know, the name.
Old 11-07-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Donald Trump in 2016!
Old 11-07-12, 06:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can we play the "What's a platform that gets a Republican elected?" game?

The country is not going to become more rural in 4 years, or in the 4 years after that. That would not seem to play well for the Republicans.

The country is not going to have fewer minorities in 4 years, or in the 4 years after that. That would not seem to play well for the Republicans.

The country WILL have fewer racist homophobes as the elderly continue to die. That would not seem to play well for the Republicans.

How do they get elected?

I find myself increasingly disgusted by their inability to repudiate the repugnant racist & homophobic views of their candidates & constituants. I know they want the money and they want the votes, but that's not working for them and will not work better for them in the future. TO make a fiscal argument they would seem to have to be willing to cut the military, which will piss off a large portion of their base.

I don't see how they become relevant again.
Old 11-07-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Biden/Booker is a winning ticket.

Hell, I'd even vote for Christie. A rational thinking nut job.

Last edited by Timber; 11-07-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-07-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Will Chelsea be 35 yet?
Old 11-07-12, 08:47 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Will Chelsea be 35 yet?
Yep, she'll be 36.
Old 11-07-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Will Chelsea be 35 yet?
dude, she's been legal for awhile...wank away.
Old 11-07-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch View Post

The country is not going to become more rural in 4 years, or in the 4 years after that. That would not seem to play well for the Republicans.

The country is not going to have fewer minorities in 4 years, or in the 4 years after that. That would not seem to play well for the Republicans.

The country WILL have fewer racist homophobes as the elderly continue to die. That would not seem to play well for the Republicans.

How do they get elected?

I find myself increasingly disgusted by their inability to repudiate the repugnant racist & homophobic views of their candidates & constituants. I know they want the money and they want the votes, but that's not working for them and will not work better for them in the future. TO make a fiscal argument they would seem to have to be willing to cut the military, which will piss off a large portion of their base.

Well, people say that and then they win. This election was still close I think if you get a Republican candidate that is liberal on social issues then you would have a better chance at winning. I certainly don't think America is ever going to vote for an anti gay marriage candidate.

Also, being optimistic here but Bush 2004 was the only time a Republican won the popular vote in previous 6 elections.
Old 11-07-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Well, people say that and then they win. This election was still close I think if you get a Republican candidate that is liberal on social issues then you would have a better chance at winning. I certainly don't think America is ever going to vote for an anti gay marriage candidate.
Do you really believe that issue is the deciding factor in any election?

I think a GOP candidate who believes in taxing the rich - and, cutting everyone taxes would be a winner.
Old 11-07-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Christie would beat a Biden ticket...
Old 11-07-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Do you really believe that issue is the deciding factor in any election?

I think a GOP candidate who believes in taxing the rich - and, cutting everyone taxes would be a winner.
I think it's a deciding factor because it adds to an overall theme of being backwards on social issues.
Old 11-07-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Again? When was the last time it happened?

Believe me, if Huntsman got the GOP nomination in 2016 you would be calling him right wing nut by June. McCain and Romney were both moderates before the Dem/media machine got through with them.
McCain was a moderate before he decided to run for president in 2008. He swung himself to the right for that election.

Who knows what Romney was. I don't think you can tell if he's really a moderate or a real hardcore rightwinger or what. His position on things like healthcare, abortion, and all sorts of other stuff seem to depend on where he's running and who he's talking to.
Old 11-07-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Who knows what Romney was. I don't think you can tell if he's really a moderate or a real hardcore rightwinger or what. His position on things like healthcare, abortion, and all sorts of other stuff seem to depend on where he's running and who he's talking to.
What Romney is is a northeastern liberal who probably leaned just as left as the person he was running against. A guy that would never win his parties nomination showing his true colors and would likely win the general showing his true colors. A man in a no win situation.
Old 11-07-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Romney is not a northeastern liberal.

He might fit the "Rockefeller Republican" label.
Old 11-07-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post

Also, being optimistic here but Bush 2004 was the only time a Republican won the popular vote in previous 6 elections.
Can a Republican with moderate to liberal social issues survive the primaries? It's almost a trap. They have to pander to the extreme right to get the nomination, then when they try to move back to the center for the election, it's too late.
Old 11-07-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Christie would beat a Biden ticket...
Assuming he runs and wins, Christie will be tough to beat.
Old 11-07-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Romney is a corporate guy with no core values who will say anything to appease a potential ally and gain an advantage.

The weather vane and Etch-a-Sketch comparisons are fitting.
Old 11-07-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Let the campaign begin!
Chris Christie
Old 11-07-12, 02:15 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how many folks who have been pro-Romney this entire election cycle will claim to have voted for Obama in 2012 just so they can claim they were "let down".
Old 11-07-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch View Post

How do they get elected?

Country gets older every year, that really is the only way the repubs can get back into this.
Old 11-07-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
What Romney is is a northeastern liberal who probably leaned just as left as the person he was running against. A guy that would never win his parties nomination showing his true colors and would likely win the general showing his true colors. A man in a no win situation.
Or maybe the Northeastern liberal thing was the act.

When someone changes his opinions so drastically and easily, it makes you not able to determine who that person really is.

Mass. governor Romney might not have been a bad president. But who knows if that was really him or whether primary season Romney was, or election Romney...?

I wouldn't want to gamble on it.

I think that's the problem with the Republican nomination process. You have to play up how hardcore F***ing RIGHT you are to get the nomination. That means either moderates lie and play up what they're not, and undermine people's trust in them, or they don't ever get the nomination.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.