Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 09-21-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread

It looks like Scott Walker is dropping out. News conference at 5:00pm CDT.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...ial-race/?_r=0

Scott Walker Said to Be Quitting Presidential Race

Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin has concluded he no longer has a path to the Republican presidential nomination and plans to drop out of the 2016 campaign, according to three Republicans familiar with his decision, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Mr. Walker called a news conference in Madison at 6 p.m. Eastern time.

“The short answer is money,” said a supporter of Mr. Walker’s who was briefed on the decision. “He’s made a decision not to limp into Iowa.”

Mr. Walker’s intended withdrawal is a humiliating climb down for a Republican governor once seen as all but politically invincible. He started the year at the top of the polls but has seen his position gradually deteriorate, amid the rise of Donald J. Trump’s populist campaign and repeated missteps by Mr. Walker himself.

In the most recent CNN survey, Mr. Walker drew support nationally from less than one-half of one percent of Republican primary voters. He faced growing pressure to shake up his campaign staff, a step he was loath to take, according to Republicans briefed on his deliberations.
This has been one of the most inept campaigns in my lifetime. Walker did everything wrong - pandering, flip flopping, repeating the same talking points over and over and just being horrible in the debates.

He is the anti-Walker from the one we saw in Wisconsin for the last five years.

He deserves what he got. He did it to himself.

I see Tracer Bullet was in first.

Edit: Walker has also eroded, perhaps even destroyed his strength in Wisconsin. He has virtually ignored Wisconsin for the last 6-8 months and his popularity has plummeted here. I don't think he would have a chance to be re-elected in 2018.
Old 09-21-15, 03:19 PM

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Bye, Scott!

And then there were 15.
Whew. Now, people like schoolteachers, firefighters, park rangers, and court stenographers (you know, society's terrorists) can breathe a sigh of relief.
Old 09-21-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I don't think he would have a chance to be re-elected in 2018.
That would be a damn shame.
Old 09-21-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Walker reminded me of a fish out of water. Flippin' n floppin' all over the place and I was hoping somebody with a fish club would shut him up..
Old 09-21-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm surprised that Pataki hasn't dropped out yet, but it's entirely possible that he doesn't know he's running.
Old 09-21-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Of course the only reason people oppose Carson's policies is because he's black.
I oppose them because he's a Seventh Day Adventist, those people can't be trusted. Saturdays were made for partying.
Old 09-21-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
True, and we need to see those movements within Islam gain strength. But those movements do exist, and as a result, we can have people like Keith Ellison who identify as Muslim -- who are Muslim -- and yet support, and serve in, and love a secular United States.
because No REAL Muslim
Old 09-21-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are the Scott Walker lovers? They should be showing their surprise face.

All I know is when I wrote six months ago that the Democrats would LOVE for Walker to be the Republican candidate, his supporters were many.
Old 09-21-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm surprised that Pataki hasn't dropped out yet, but it's entirely possible that he doesn't know he's running.
Old 09-21-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He's running?
Old 09-21-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Pataki was a Japanese board game.
Old 09-21-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Whew. Now, people like schoolteachers, firefighters, park rangers, and court stenographers (you know, society's terrorists) can breathe a sigh of relief.
Isn't Gov. Kasich just as much a union-buster (albeit without as much success as Gov. Walker)?
Old 09-21-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't Gov. Kasich just as much a union-buster (albeit without as much success as Gov. Walker)?
Bless you!
Old 09-21-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Carly Fiorina really came out in good shape after the last debate. I thought she had won easily (I had posted as much right after it was over). I never really considered her much of a contender before that. It would be interesting if 2 women were fighting it out for president. Like all contenders though.. she's got some baggage.

The non-career politicians are doing well. I hope it stays that way.
Old 09-21-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, and we need to see those movements within Islam gain strength. But those movements do exist, and as a result, we can have people like Keith Ellison who identify as Muslim -- who are Muslim -- and yet support, and serve in, and love a secular United States.
Whatever Ellison is---and he seems complex to me---he's not the product of some broad liberal Islamic "movement". Here's some details on his history:

http://www.meforum.org/2756/keith-ellison-stealth-jihad
Old 09-21-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Carly Fiorina really came out in good shape after the last debate. I thought she had won easily (I had posted as much right after it was over). I never really considered her much of a contender before that. It would be interesting if 2 women were fighting it out for president. Like all contenders though.. she's got some baggage.

I was an early Walker supporter but have definitely fallen out of like with him over the last months. As it is now I like nobody. I may just sit this one out.
Old 09-21-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Wisconsinite I've supported Walker for the most part, but never liked him running for president. Glad he's cutting his losses now instead of becoming even more of a joke.
Old 09-21-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
He's running?
It's Pataki!

Hi there!
Old 09-21-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not sure about Carly lately after that Chris Wallace interview.

She's another DO ANYTHING FOR THE BABIES!!!111 type who would shutdown government just because "it was the right thing to do."
Old 09-21-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

Didn't Carly ship 30,000 jobs to China? She fucked HP up and wants to run the free world? Um, no.
Old 09-21-15, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I oppose them because he's a Seventh Day Adventist, those people can't be trusted. Saturdays were made for partying.
Well, some group must have Sunday night/Mon. mornings on their schedule because I got up last night around 1 AM to let two cats our (and attend to other...ahem...needs) and was surprised to hear raucous music coming across the valley.

The odd thing was that it was bluegrass music...not exactly what one expects to hear from party animals.

I was so intrigued that I drove over to see what the heck was going on. Lights on & several extra cars there, but nobody could be seen through the windows as I cruised by. I turned around and cruised by slowly on the way home...which must have been noticed by someone inside since the volume was turned way down when I got home.

I was actually enjoying the music, but I imagine it was driving the immediate neighbors crazy.
Old 09-21-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Carly Fiorina.....Like all contenders though.. she's got some baggage.
Some baggage?

She's got more baggage then Samsonite.

She basically ran two companies into the ground costing tens of thousands their jobs all the while making huge dollars for herself.

She was what is called a "Rock Star" CEO. It was all about her all day everyday to the point she forgot she actually was suppose to run the company.
Old 09-21-15, 06:11 PM
Banned

Fiorina/Biden 2016!!!
Old 09-21-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
But he'd never have the respect of Putin, having already had his 7'2" butt kicked royally by a 5'7" dude.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."
You may not know enough about Kareem. He learned from Bruce Lee. He could seriously kick most anyone's ass.
Old 09-21-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Didn't Carly ship 30,000 jobs to China? She fucked HP up and wants to run the free world? Um, no.
Well, she hasn't been offered a CEO job since, which is an indication of what a great job she did. At the time HP, Dell, and Compaq were the 3 biggest computer makers. She wanted to buy Compaq against the objections of Mr. Hewlett (the co-founders son that was on the board), bought it anyway, and in short order Compaq no longer exists. She took a nice $50 stock price and managed to bring it down to $18. Just imagine the success she could have with the country.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.