Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 07-17-15, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread

Trump's hair has a life of it's own, and with his big ego, I would not be surprised if he made it his running mate.

Old 07-17-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-17-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Well, perhaps I should go with "that ship will have sailed." You will have a minimum of two more states legalize it recreationally before or during the presidential election, and likely several more go with medical. Even if they go after it, the backlash will be enough for it to be political suicide. Unless Mike Huckabee gets elected as president, I think the ship has sailed. And Christie can't win.
I hope you are right!
Old 07-17-15, 11:05 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Trump trashes Penn Gillette on twitter. Penn responds on the Opie show with class.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nfLjbvvpC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-18-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just want to point out how fucking hilarious (and/or sad) it is that a grown man with a personality disorder who uses twitter like a bratty teenager is the front-runner for the GOP.

I really hope the general election is Trump vs Sanders, as the debates would most likely be the most amazing spectacles ever!
Old 07-18-15, 02:29 PM
Suspended

The US Government is a joke. Why not vote for a smart and witty clown versus a herd who want the same lame-ass status quo circus every fucking day.

Indeed. Bring this on!
Old 07-18-15, 05:10 PM
Political Exile

This article is four years old, but this is the first time that I've heard of this.

Republican liar Donald Trump falsely said the only reason he never get drafted was because he had a high draft number. However, his draft record shows that he got four student deferrals.

Someone who shirks joining the military and then lies about it should never be allowed to be Commander-in-Chief of the world's most powerful military.

The article has a nice reference to Creedence Clearwater Revival:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...-dodge-vietnam

Deferments Helped Trump Dodge Vietnam

April 28, 2011

APRIL 28--Despite Donald Trump’s claim this week that he avoided serving in the Vietnam War solely due to a high draft number, Selective Service records show that the purported presidential aspirant actually received a series of student deferments while in college and then topped those off with a medical deferment after graduation that helped spare him from fighting for his country, The Smoking Gun has learned.

During a TV interview Tuesday morning, Trump--who spent his high school years enrolled at the New York Military Academy--said, “I actually got lucky because I had a very high draft number. I’ll never forget, that was an amazing period of time in my life.”

He went on to recall, “I was going to the Wharton School of Finance, and I was watching as they did the draft numbers and I got a very, very high number and those numbers never got up to.” The word “deferment” was not mentioned by Trump during his chat with the morning show hosts on WNYW, the Fox affiliate in New York City.

However, Selective Service records reveal that Trump, the ***fortunate son*** of a multimillionaire real estate baron, took repeated steps to avoid serving in Vietnam.

By the time his number (356) was drawn during the December 1, 1969 draft lottery, Trump had already received four student deferments and a medical deferment
, according to military records on file with the National Archives and Records Administration. An extract of Trump’s Selective Classification record, seen here, was provided in response to a TSG records request.

In fact, the December 1969 draft lottery occurred about 18 months after Trump graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied business at the Wharton School. So, while claiming that he would “never forget” being at Wharton watching the draft numbers being drawn, the 64-year-old Trump seems to have misremembered, as candidates are fond of saying.

Trump obtained his first two Class 2-S student deferments in June 1964 and December 1965, when he was student at Fordham University in the Bronx. He was briefly reclassified as 1-A--or "available for military service"--in late-November 1966, but that classification was switched back to 2-S three weeks later.

Another 2-S deferment is dated January 16, 1968, just months before his graduation from UPenn (to which he transferred following his sophomore year at Fordham).

Following his UPenn graduation, Trump--no longer qualified for a 2-S deferment--was again briefly classified as available for service on July 9. However, three months later, on October 15, his classification was switched to 1-Y, which was given to men deemed qualified for military service “only in time of national emergency.”

The 1-Y classification came a month after Trump underwent an “Armed Forces Physical Examination,” according to Selective Service records, which note the results of the exam as “DISQ.” While the military records do not further detail why Trump was granted the 1-Y deferment, a 1992 biography of the businessman by journalist Wayne Barrett reported that Trump received a medical deferment following the September 17, 1968 exam.

Trump’s 1-Y classification stayed in effect until February 1, 1972 when it was changed to a 4-F classification (which covered registrants not qualified for military service). The change in classification was likely prompted by the military’s December 1971 decision to abolish the 1-Y classification.

The Selective Service records also include a copy of the registration card signed by Trump in June 1964, 10 days after he turned 18. The possible future Commander-in-Chief, it turns out, has birthmarks on both his heels.
Old 07-18-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
The US Government is a joke. Why not vote for a smart and witty clown versus a herd who want the same lame-ass status quo circus every fucking day.

Indeed. Bring this on!
Sounds good, where is this candidate?
Old 07-18-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It all comes down to charisma. Every person elected to president, all down the line, had more charisma than who they ran against. Even if they don't have much charisma (Carter vs Ford, Bush vs Dukakis), the winner still had more charisma than their opponent. Based on that, Walker vs Hilary might be tough to call...
That might not have been true before the media age. I mean, Calvin Coolidge won and he was supposed to have zero charisma. One of his opponents in the 1924 race was the Progressive Party candidate Robert La Follette, who was supposed to have been a big deal once upon a time.

In any event, I have yet to see any candidate in the current race with an ounce of charisma, except maybe Trump, although I think there are different words for what he's got.
Old 07-18-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trump on John McCain: "I like people who weren't captured."

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is again criticizing a well-respected member of his own party.

Speaking at a conference of religious conservatives on Saturday, Trump was pressed on his recent description of Arizona Sen. John McCain as "a dummy."

The moderator, Republican pollster Frank Luntz, described McCain as "a war hero." McCain spent more than five years as a prisoner of war after his plane was shot down during combat in Vietnam.

Trump said McCain "is a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."
Keep talking, Donald.
Old 07-18-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HAHA, so where are the Republicans that were agreeing about Trump's hate on Mexicans now? Now he's talking shit about a "war hero?" You didn't think you had some sort of commonality with him did you? He hates you too, paupers.

Old 07-18-15, 06:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Sounds good, where is this candidate?
Right over there. It's the Astrovan with ice cream pictures on it.

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Trump on John McCain: "I like people who weren't captured."

Keep talking, Donald.
Most Arizona Conservatives have been fed up with John McCain for several years (even look at the Senate Conservatives Fund statement). It's nothing new. But Trump just makes it more visible to the rest of the country.
Old 07-18-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And of course, he's doubling down!

This is glorious!

GOP debates are in almost 3 weeks - I hope he holds on 'till then!
Old 07-18-15, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
HAHA, so where are the Republicans that were agreeing about Trump's hate on Mexicans now? Now he's talking shit about a "war hero?" You didn't think you had some sort of commonality with him did you? He hates you too, paupers.

You're missing the entire point of Trump gaining in popularity.

Yes, it's all about being a Mexi-H8R and anti-Captain America.

On a side note, which candidate is more inclined to embrace their pauper voters? Hillary? Jeb? Christie? Bernie?
Old 07-18-15, 06:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And of course, he's doubling down!

This is glorious!

GOP debates are in almost 3 weeks - I hope he holds on 'till then!
One of the big reasons McCain comes off as a slow and old crazy fool is because of his knuckle dragging flip-flopping history of VA legislation.

These are his own people. You'd think he would be more consistent with supporting his own fellow vets.

Too bad McCain won't be at the debate to get his butt whipped like it should have been a long time ago.
Old 07-18-15, 06:36 PM
Enormous Genitals

Oh, he got his butt whipped.
Old 07-18-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha. Trump is taking "being a political internet asshole" and taking it to real life. Glorious!
Old 07-18-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I'm just glad that Trump has established himself as such a viable candidate that he can ignore his competitors and focus on his party's past candidates.
Old 07-18-15, 06:48 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Haha. Trump is taking "being a political internet asshole" and taking it to real life. Glorious!
How do we know he isn't wm lopez?
Old 07-18-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Donald Trump: Mean-Spirited GOP Won’t Win Elections"
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Don.../26/id/465363/

The Republican Party will continue to lose presidential elections if it comes across as mean-spirited and unwelcoming toward people of color, Donald Trump tells Newsmax.

Whether intended or not, comments and policies of Mitt Romney and other Republican candidates during this election were seen by Hispanics and Asians as hostile to them, Trump says.

“Republicans didn’t have anything going for them with respect to Latinos and with respect to Asians,” the billionaire developer says.

“The Democrats didn’t have a policy for dealing with illegal immigrants, but what they did have going for them is they weren’t mean-spirited about it,” Trump says. “They didn’t know what the policy was, but what they were is they were kind.”
Romney’s solution of “self deportation” for illegal aliens made no sense and suggested that Republicans do not care about Hispanics in general, Trump says.

“He had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal,” Trump says. “It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote,” Trump notes. “He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.”

The GOP has to develop a comprehensive policy “to take care of this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful productive citizens of this country,” Trump says.
Anyone find it odd that four years ago, Trump was very critical of how the GOP treats immigrants, especially Latino immigrants and said they'll continue to lose elections if they're seen as mean spirited. And today, he's focusing on being mean spirited towards Latino immigrants?

Also, four years ago, he spoke very highly of Hillary Clinton (http://time.com/3962799/donald-trump-hillary-clinton/):
“Hillary Clinton I think is a terrific woman,” he told Greta Van Susteren. “I am biased because I have known her for years. I live in New York. She lives in New York. I really like her and her husband both a lot. I think she really works hard. And I think, again, she’s given an agenda, it is not all of her, but I think she really works hard and I think she does a good job. I like her.
He's donated to Hillary's campaigns before, he publicly said that Obama should have chosen Hillary as his running mate in 2008. He's publicly said that his favorite president was Bill Clinton. He's invited the Clintons to his most recent wedding.

I wonder what happened to Trump in the past four years to make him see things so differently today.
Old 07-18-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

McCain violated the UCOMJ - there's no doubt about that.

I would imagine that any one who was in captivity of the NV for 4+ years and tortured day & night would do any different.

Last edited by classicman2; 07-18-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-18-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump learned his audience. I think it's fair to say that the internet is full at vocally fucked-up people. Just look at the comments section in political articles. It's crazy town.

What I don't know is: just how many "crazy town" people are there? I like to think that "they" (the average commentators) only represent a small 10% of the US population. And the rest of us are rational moderates or apolitical. And that's the marriage that makes things work. But I really have no conception of what it might be.
Old 07-18-15, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Rational moderates? I don't think there's such a thing anymore, and anyone was rational, they probably don't have any candidate representing them.

And what do you mean by "making things work". Do you mean what we've had for the last 7 years (maybe the last 20?) Making things work in today's language is saying you'll do absolutely nothing, just catering to lobbyists and pretending to run the country, while it is eroding all around you.
Old 07-18-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's a cynical outlook. I like to think there's enough reason and civility to keep us balanced out. But then the fact that there's expected to be only 5 "swing states" in 2016 tells you that most people already made up their minds, regardless of who the final presidential candidates are.

There is something going on with the internet discussion, and the way it is reducing the moderates or apolitical and pushing people to the far sides. I think the internet has created a dangerous path. It has given a voice to the dumbest and least considerate people. Reason and civility doesn't have the control that it once had.

It's a lot like religion. The most messed-up people are SO SURE of their stance, and what is going to happen. So you have the atheists on one far side. And the blind faith types on the other side. Those people are willing to fist fight over their beliefs (and the ultra-religious fight among themselves and want very much for us to be at the end of times). And then it's everyone in between who are stuck to keep society going, in spite of those people.

I take the "team player" stance (some of you would call me at "tool"). I'm up for voting for whoever is going to be awesome (or at least trick me into believing they're going to be awesome).
Old 07-18-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Trump learned his audience.
Did he?

Let's take a look at some 2012 Election numbers: http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/pol...ps-voted-2012/

I believe that 129,085,403 people voted for president in 2012. According to the ropercenter link, Romney got 47% of the vote and Obama got 51% of the vote.

71% of Hispanics voted for Obama, 27% of Hispanics voted for Romney. Hispanics represented 10% of the voters.

In the popular vote, Romney had slightly less than 61 million, Obama had slightly less than 66 million, so the spread was only 5 million voters. And if Hispanics represented 10% of the 129 million voters, that's more than double the difference. If someone wants to check my math, if you assume that the 10% of the Hispanic voting block split evenly between Romney and Obama, then Romney would come across slightly ahead of Obama in the popular vote (There is no way in hell I'm trying to figure out how any of that would have changed the electoral college).

Now, were there people who voted for Romney in 2012 that would NOT have voted for him if he wasn't "mean spirited" towards Hispanics? Probably.

But looking at how demographics are changing, I'd think that it's likely that the Hispanic vote will be even higher than the 10% it was in 2012.

I just don't see how someone goes from saying "The GOP can't win elections if Hispanics view the party as mean-spirited" to "Fuck You, Hispanics" in four short years.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.