Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 10-11-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Well, you have to admit -- Paul LePage is an honest Republican.
Maine Gov. Paul LePage stood by Donald Trump in a radio interview on Tuesday, saying that the United States might need someone like the GOP nominee to show "authoritarian power," and dismissing concerns over an audiotape leaked last week that showed Trump describing how he forces himself upon women.

"Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy," LePage said on Maine radio station WVOM.

He also dismissed concerns over an audiotape leaked last week that showed Trump describing how he forces himself upon women.

"And you know, the bottom line. The bottom line is this," LePage said of Trump. "Is he a slimeball? I'd be the first one to say, not a guy ideally I'd want my daughter going after. But I will tell you one thing, as the head of state, is he going to protect our nation and fight the debt or is he going to go after interns? That's the bottom line."

LePage also said that Trump's children were a positive testament to his character, before criticizing Hillary Clinton.

"I heard a lady the other day and I couldn't," LePage said. "I was so infuriated, I didn't even wait to get her name. She was saying how bad Donald Trump is. How do you gauge a man's heart? Is really my question. And I'll tell you this. I'll tell you how I gauge my heart. I look at my kids and if they're successful and they're moving in the right direction I'm a happy camper. Because that's who I live for. And so I think if you look at Donald Trump and you see his kids you're pretty pleased to see what you see in front of you. Then on the other hand, you look at a presidential candidate who's been around since the '90s, who has been after one fraudulent activity after another."

He added of the former President Clinton, "I'm sorry guys, but there was smudge on the blue dress! And that was by a president of the United States of America."
Oh, no, Mr. Grab-'em-by-the-Pussy would never go after an intern.

Also, if we're to judge Trump's worth by how his children turned out, is he implying that Chelsea is a total shithole by comparison?
Old 10-11-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

"Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy," LePage said on Maine radio station WVOM.
Big government is bad unless we're in charge?
Old 10-11-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

And so I think if you look at Donald Trump and you see his kids you're pretty pleased to see what you see in front of you.
Really I see a bunch of attention deprived, narcissistic, spoiled fuckwads
Old 10-11-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Well, you have to admit -- Paul LePage is an honest Republican.

Oh, no, Mr. Grab-'em-by-the-Pussy would never go after an intern.

Also, if we're to judge Trump's worth by how his children turned out, is he implying that Chelsea is a total shithole by comparison?
LePage is a fringe loon and only got elected because Maine's sane vote got split up by 3 different people.

This is why we should be glad that we have a two-party system federally.
Old 10-11-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Really I see a bunch of attention deprived, narcissistic, spoiled fuckwads
The sons certainly do, as they're trying to emulate their dad. The daughters seem normal enough, as they're more products of their mothers, who seem decent enough.
Old 10-11-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Even a forum devoted to a 10 year old dead media is too young to appeal to the Republican base.
Nah. We're all movie buffs, brainwashed by the liberal Jewish media. It's a conspiracy, man.

Really though. Isn't it odd that we are "in a bubble", and this is also the only civil place I can find on the internet. Go over to Youtube (or any news site with a comments section) and try to get through five comments without losing a little faith in humanity.

I tried to post ONE THING on Youtube in the past year or two (the other night, when I was posting a lot on here too). It was to criticize Obama, who did some public speaking and kept making digs at Trump.

Oh stop it Obama (and all Democrats). There's no reason to insult Trump anymore. In the spotlight, he destroys himself. There's no reason to be negative at this point. It makes us look bad and probably turns away potential votes. Keep your message positive.
I thought my point was logical, rational, and observant. I never see anyone talk about how it's not good to have a POTUS taking jabs and alienating the other side of the aisle. And I got this absurd reply.

RequiemFor America Oct 9, 2016 Yeah, demon-crats, why continue demonizing anyone who stands in your way as "racists/sexists/homophobe/islamophobe"? If you keep doing it people might actually wake up and realize that it's the demon-crats who are the real racists and bigots
I don't even know where to start replying to that. My response to a stupid reply like that would take me hours. And now I think of Gerald in South Park's newest episodes, and wonder if what these people feel is for real. Or if they are just damaged people who want to pick fights.

I dont' know. I don't get it. It's off putting. And addicting. I got to stop spending so much time reading through the comments sections.
Old 10-11-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-11-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The sons certainly do, as they're trying to emulate their dad. The daughters seem normal enough, as they're more products of their mothers, who seem decent enough.
You mean Ivanka who had her interns blog about how to get by in NYC when you have no money?
Old 10-11-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
LePage got his time in the spotlight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UB1bSJB3n10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-11-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 306 Likes on 256 Posts

I like the Brooks essay. The Trump campaign was saying how great he'd be in the town-hall format because he gets out and talks to the people every day, but what does he do at his rallies other than yell and wait for the applause? I hear he's done town hall as well, but I only see the rallies on the news, and the pre-debate one reportedly didn't go well.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That was a good essay.
I really think that running for President (and not getting knocked out immediately) was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Donald. His entire self-worth is about Celebrity, being the guy that little people thought of as a huge success, a real-life avatar of Mr. Monopoly. Before this campaign, he was relatively popular, or at least considered an amusing talk-show guest. Now so many people hate his guts. He's shown himself to be vile and hateful and racist and misogynist in a way that before folks might have casually speculated about but could have been easily dismissed as just rumors. His brand was all about success, winning and luxury, now that brand is permanently damaged and at best he will be lumped in with Michael Dukakis and Walter Mondale and George McGovern. I'm sure I'll never stay at a Trump hotel or resort (even if they do look like nice buildings) and I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment.
Maybe he'll start his own network with Ailes and they will achieve some level of fame and success. I'm sure Bill O'Riley and Sean Hannity live very nice lives. But I'm convinced that this whole experience will be as bad and as damaging for Trump as it has been for the rest of us. He never wanted to be president, he never wanted to serve his country. He only wanted to be more famous and he did what his Twitter followers asked him to do - with disastrous results.
I have to think that at least 60% of the voting public will never want to go to a Trump business, including a lot of the people who are going to vote for him.

And I'm sure there are people who encouraged him to run for President without really knowing what they were going to get.
Old 10-11-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I meant that the girls weren't sociopathic monsters like their dad, not that they could relate to the average human.
Old 10-11-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Being a poor human being is just a matter of scale in the Trump family.
Old 10-11-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgive me for predicting a similar future personality disorder for Barron

Old 10-11-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, we can only hope!
Old 10-11-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Katrina Pierson was also threatening that Trump supporters would not vote for Republicans down-ballot. I hadn't heard about her in a while, so maybe they realized she was not helping things and gave her a lower profile.
Old 10-11-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
LePage is a fringe loon and only got elected because Maine's sane vote got split up by 3 different people.

This is why we should be glad that we have a two-party system federally.
There were enough fringe loons who agreed with him to vote for him. THAT is why he got elected. How "fringe" can someone be if they garner 37% of the votes cast?
Old 10-11-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Well, yeah. How much did the government grow when the Republicans had Bush 43 in the White House and controlled the Senate and the House?

As for groping interns, my belief that if Trump were president there wouldn't be any interns that weren't women, or any women interns who weren't beautiful, or any beautiful women interns who weren't blonde.
Old 10-11-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never understood how republicans claim to want a smaller government. All I ever see (and maybe it's just the circles I'm in) is them wanting to completely micro-manage people's lives in who they can marry and where they can go to the bathroom.
Old 10-11-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Katrina Pierson was also threatening that Trump supporters would not vote for Republicans down-ballot. I hadn't heard about her in a while, so maybe they realized she was not helping things and gave her a lower profile.
Pretty sure the only standard for Trump surrogates is that you never admit Trump made a mistake and deny, deny, deny when you get caught making shit up. Katrina performed her job well according to those standards.
Old 10-11-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Yikes ... get ready people, it's only getting messier from here!

Old 10-11-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure the only standard for Trump surrogates is that you never admit Trump made a mistake and deny, deny, deny when you get caught making shit up. Katrina performed her job well according to those standards.
Pretty much. I'm sure she's under strict contract and also has an Nondisclosure Agreement. I bet his NDA's are devastating to anyone who breaks them.
Old 10-11-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably, but she seemed especially incompetent, like Trump-son level of incompetent.
Old 10-11-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Yikes ... get ready people, it's only getting messier from here!

And also this:

Old 10-11-16, 11:48 AM
RIP

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Saw it before you removed it...and LOL'ed my balls off!

It's back!! Maybe it just didn't show up for me when I refreshed.
Old 10-11-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More Republican insults.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With the exception of cheating Bernie out of the nom the Dems have always proven to be far more loyal to each other than the Republicans!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785846205750337537">October 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
******** async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">*********>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.