Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Old 08-01-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
This.

Oh no.. Bob and Steve across town got married.... Now my marriage to my wife is ruined.

People against gay marriage seem go on about how it is ruining the institution of marriage. How about they first deal with the following that are doing far more harm that Bob and Steve being married. The huge divorce rate, all those reality dating shows that are designed to result in marriages, celebrity and other "marriages" that are quickly annulled or end up in divorce. It is absolutely sickening that two strangers can meet and get married in a matter of minutes and have more rights and protection afforded to them that a committed same-sex couple that have been together for many years cannot have. Unless they have numerous legal documents drafted and even that not be enough to protect the surviving person should the other die and his/her family challenges those documents.
I just don't like people hiding their bigotry behind being concerned about the definition of a word possibly having a slightly different meaning.

Remember when Major League Baseball was whites only. Blacks were allowed to compete in their own leagues, but imagine if the whites refused to even allow them to call it "baseball."

"Sure, you can play this game amongst yourselves, but you have to call it something different. BASEBALL is OUR WORD. You can't use our word for it."
Old 08-01-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
This is why fewer and fewer people are participating in discussions here--you make an offhand comment that is generally correct and someone is going to accuse you of "spinning" because your original comment is not written with the ironclad language of a fucking contract.

On the other hand, such posts as above are great for identifying the adults on the forum.
Does the martyr act typically work well for you when you get called out for being wrong?
Old 08-01-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Keep spinning.

I said the scrawny guy looked like he had AIDS and you tried to inform me that people don't develop AIDS in the developed world.

They do.
I like how you had to lay both a "straw-man" card and a "moving the goalpost" card down in one sentence to make your point valid.

He said "generally" and we already determined that it is likely under 2% in the US. 98% should be safely in the "generally" zone. If you were just playing the odds on a guessing game you failed miserably since there are hundreds of more likely reasons someone would be thin (losing weight for a wedding, stress over media coverage or wedding, far more common medical illnesses, genetics, ect.).

Look, you made an asinine comment that either means you are ignorant (no shame in that, I know jack-shit about a lot of things so I sometimes believe stereotypes) or a bigot (not such a nice thing to be). Trying to justify yourself by reaching further and further you are coming off as looking like instead of being "either" you might actually be both instead. Just say sorry; sometimes we make shitty assumptions about other people that make us look bad. Reflect and move on.
Old 08-01-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Oh, don't they? Have you ever heard the words "green card"?
Well I sure small percentage get married for other reasons, but i would guess most gay couples don't want to get married for the 'benefits'.
Old 08-01-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does the martyr act typically work well for you when you get called out for being wrong?
Does being a pedantic asshole typically work well for you?
Old 08-01-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Well I sure small percentage get married for other reasons, but i would guess most gay couples don't want to get married for the 'benefits'.
Of course they don't. Perhaps I misunderstood your intent with your statement; I thought you were implying that only gay couples did.

It's been a wild week on this topic online. I apologize for my misplaced assumption. Peace?
Old 08-01-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Does being a pedantic asshole typically work well for you?
Quoted for personal attack.
Old 08-01-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, what you said was really pretty offensive. I'm a few years older than Tracer and I spent a lot of the eighties and nineties going to funerals for friends who've died of AIDS, so forgive me if I don't find your statement funny, which may be what you intended.

As for playing the martyr ... when you have to take as much crap as gay men and lesbians do for just being who you are, yeah, you tend to get a little dramatic when people make asinine, offensive assumptions like the one you made.
Old 08-01-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
How charitable of you....
Feel free to counter with data or a counter argument. I'm working off of numbers and facts pulled out of my ass because they sound right from what I remember from studying arson investigation many years ago. I take no offense from being corrected
Old 08-01-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Mommy! Come save me!"

Old 08-01-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-01-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aww, poor baby.

Now who is acting the martyr?
Old 08-01-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
"Mommy! Come save me!"
Rules are rules. We should be able to have a spirited discussion without resorting to that kind of thing.
Old 08-01-12, 02:15 PM
Banned

Had a Hardee's Bacon Swiss chicken sandwich today. It was actually pretty good.
Old 08-01-12, 02:20 PM

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts

Mod note: thread closed. Administrative action to follow.