Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Old 08-01-12, 01:18 AM
  #376  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,145
Received 1,232 Likes on 883 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I don't get it ... with Chik - fil -A, it was:
"He's just expressing his opinion, it's not like they're turning away or being rude to gay customers"
but now with the bakery guy, where they are actually DOING that, it's:
"you gays are just a bunch of sissies. Go get a cake somewhere else, who cares?"
I wonder how many of the people who are so vigorously defending Chick-Fil-A's right to free speech were also defending the Dixie Chicks when the singer said she was ashamed of President Bush, and weren't calling for them to be brought up on charges of treason.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 05:38 AM
  #377  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,190
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

I did not think this thread could degenerate more. I can't wait to see how much further it devolves by Monday.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 05:39 AM
  #378  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 33,160
Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I wonder how many of the people who are so vigorously defending Chick-Fil-A's right to free speech were also defending the Dixie Chicks when the singer said she was ashamed of President Bush, and weren't calling for them to be brought up on charges of treason.
It's like when Bono starts talking politics. I'm listening for the music shut up and sing!

And for the record, I defended the Cicks right to say what they said. And defended the rights of those who no longer bought their stuff.

I feel same here. What Chick-fil-a said is not what I agree with. But I defend their right to say It. And I defend anyone who decides not to eat their anymore.

But personally, I don't understand people who put ethical, moral or political weight in something said by a Fast food resturant or couple young country singers (or baker). For me, I'll still eat at Chick-fil-a. At the very least they had the guts to say their belief. I'm sure most companies would have either not said anything or just used generic catch phrases.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-01-12 at 05:47 AM.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:05 AM
  #379  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post

He looks like he weighs about 75 pounds.
No, he really doesn't.
starman9000 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:09 AM
  #380  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 732
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Hopefully Churches and supporters rally around the business as well. But yeah, the hissy fits have got to be embarrassing.... though it should be pointed out that not all gay people are like that.
I fail to see how this would be any different from an interracial couple walking in and getting the same treatment.

They should feel outraged, and they should have the right to start an online boycott, which it looks like they're doing.
Sheff is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:22 AM
  #381  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 33,160
Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
I fail to see how this would be any different from an interracial couple walking in and getting the same treatment.

They should feel outraged, and they should have the right to start an online boycott, which it looks like they're doing.
While I agree with you 100% it is their right, I'm curious if they interview every bank, garage, grocery store to verify they hold their beliefs. Or do they just wait till their insulted? Is it ok if the baker thinks they should burn in hell but keeps his mouth shut about?

Again, I agree with right to say it and for others to take action. But it seems a little odd to only take action against those that said something while rewarding those that lie or hide in the corner about it.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:33 AM
  #382  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,896
Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Mod note: Nugent, Hokeyboy, dial it back a little. This thread isn't about you.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:43 AM
  #383  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Violating their civil rights? BWAHAHAHA!!!!! I missed have missed the part about the right to have a cake made for you by a particular baker.

So, instead of just respecting the beliefs of the business owner, moving on, and finding someone who would make the cake they want, they take it to the media and organize a boycott. The gay community is quickly becoming the most insufferable, whiny group of sissies out there.
The gays have no tolerance for beliefs that are not the same as theirs.
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:54 AM
  #384  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 10,116
Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
The gays have no tolerance for beliefs that are not the same as theirs.
You mean them wanting equal rights?
Jaymole is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 07:58 AM
  #385  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
The gays have no tolerance for beliefs that are not the same as theirs.
I would amend that to say that portion of the gay community doesn't have tolerance.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:07 AM
  #386  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
That's apparently an old one they furnished for their press release.

This one is newer. One of them looks emaciated. AIDS?
At a minimum he looks like he needs a shower.

<img width="468" height="297" class="blkBorder" alt="Rejected: Gay couple Charlie Craig, left, and Dave Mullin, right, were refused a wedding cake by Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood" src="http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/31/article-2181391-144D290C000005DC-485_468x297.jpg">
WTF are you talking about? Those coloreds have diseases and are dirty too, right?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:11 AM
  #387  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

So we're back to the mid-80s when any thin gay man was just assumed to have AIDS?

"ooh, he looks sick, let's walk down the other side of street.."
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:13 AM
  #388  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I feel same here. What Chick-fil-a said is not what I agree with. But I defend their right to say It. And I defend anyone who decides not to eat their anymore.
I think that's what most rational people are saying. It's the right-wing spin machine that is calling out it's "members" to feign outrage at the deviants who stand opposed to free speech.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
But personally, I don't understand people who put ethical, moral or political weight in something said by a Fast food resturant or couple young country singers (or baker). For me, I'll still eat at Chick-fil-a. At the very least they had the guts to say their belief. I'm sure most companies would have either not said anything or just used generic catch phrases.
Because some people believe that personal integrity and support of issues goes beyond enjoying processed, mass-produced, deep fried food that can be purchased through a windows in 90 seconds? Seriously, some people actually make choices based on what that choice means to them and their community and some just blindly plod along stuffing their faces with fast food and buying job-killing cheap Chinese crap from Walmart and they don't care.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:16 AM
  #389  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
While I agree with you 100% it is their right, I'm curious if they interview every bank, garage, grocery store to verify they hold their beliefs. Or do they just wait till their insulted? Is it ok if the baker thinks they should burn in hell but keeps his mouth shut about?

Again, I agree with right to say it and for others to take action. But it seems a little odd to only take action against those that said something while rewarding those that lie or hide in the corner about it.
This makes no sense. You are proposing the gay couple either 1) keep their mouths shut and don't speak out or 2) ask every business owner their personal beliefs before spending money. The point is that these business owners CHOOSE to voice their controversial opinion on their own and fail to see that it has ramifications in the free market.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:41 AM
  #390  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Yeah, they have cured AIDS right? A thin gay man could never have AIDS in 2012.
People in the developed world don't generally develop AIDS anymore. If he was muscular and had sunken cheeks, you might have a case for an HIV positive status.

Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:42 AM
  #391  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
The gays have no tolerance for beliefs that are not the same as theirs.
Please, tell us what this means.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:45 AM
  #392  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,844
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Does anyone else think that the couple’s outrage that they were denied the cake is a sign of progress for the gay community at large? 10 years ago, they likely would not expect a random cake shop to make a cake to help celebrate their union.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:47 AM
  #393  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,844
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
People in the developed world don't generally develop AIDS anymore. If he was muscular and had sunken cheeks, you might have a case for an HIV positive status.

It is pretty crazy how much progress has been made on AIDS. I know being rich helped a lot, but I remember thinking that Magic Johnson was going to die soon when I heard his announcement on the news back in 1991.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:48 AM
  #394  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43,253
Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Arby's Chicken Bacon and Swiss > Chick Fil A
Zaxby's as well.

Just saying.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 08:52 AM
  #395  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Does anyone else think that the couple’s outrage that they were denied the cake is a sign of progress for the gay community at large? 10 years ago, they likely would not expect a random cake shop to make a cake to help celebrate their union.
Good point.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 09:58 AM
  #396  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,983
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I think that's what most rational people are saying. It's the right-wing spin machine that is calling out it's "members" to feign outrage at the deviants who stand opposed to free speech.
spin machine? So what the officials in Chicago and Boston said was all feigned?
Venusian is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 10:19 AM
  #397  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,314
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Arby's Chicken Bacon and Swiss > Chick Fil A
Zaxby's as well.

Just saying.
You obviously never had Chicken Express.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 10:36 AM
  #398  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,369
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
People in the developed world don't generally develop AIDS anymore. If he was muscular and had sunken cheeks, you might have a case for an HIV positive status.
You should alert the CDC to your more accurate information.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/us.htm

In 2010, an estimated 47,129 people were diagnosed with HIV infection in the 46 states with confidential name-based HIV infection reporting since at least January 2007. In that same year, an estimated 33,015 people throughout the U.S. were diagnosed with AIDS.
Nugent is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 10:54 AM
  #399  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I did not think this thread could degenerate more. I can't wait to see how much further it devolves by Monday.
Well I've learned a lot from this thread. In particular, all skinny gay people have AIDS and all chicken-eating Christians love George Bush more than free speech. I can't wait to see what nugget of knowledge I'll pick up next.
kefrank is offline  
Old 08-01-12, 10:57 AM
  #400  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,318
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: The Chicken Eaters are revolting thread

Happy Chik-Fil-A day!!
Artman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.