Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Old 06-28-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Is a 911 dispatcher technically considered a law enforcement official?
Is a neighborhood watch captain?
Old 06-28-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is a 911 dispatcher technically considered a law enforcement official?
no
Old 06-28-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
She said "We don't need you to do that."

I love how people seem to be making the leap as if the dispatcher is a commanding officer and Zimmerman is a soldier being told to "Stand down."

"We don't need you to do that" is a fairly passive statement.
I've mentioned this a million times. I think it's just one of those things that when people run out of BS excuses for Martin they circle back around and start repeating often told lies..
Old 06-28-13, 05:23 PM

One important witness was Wendy Dorival, who was the coordinator of the Sanford Police Department's neighborhood watch program. She testified that she had helped Zimmerman set up a watch program in his neighborhood. The watch program training included telling participants not to follow nor engage with suspicious individuals. Program participants were to provide information to the police who would then respond.

Okay not a dispatcher, but the coordinator.
Old 06-28-13, 05:24 PM

One important witness was Wendy Dorival, who was the coordinator of the Sanford Police Department's neighborhood watch program. She testified that she had helped Zimmerman set up a watch program in his neighborhood. The watch program training included telling participants not to follow nor engage with suspicious individuals. Program participants were to provide information to the police who would then respond.

Old 06-28-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I've mentioned this a million times. I think it's just one of those things that when people run out of BS excuses for Martin they circle back around and start repeating often told lies..
It's not an order from a law enforcement officer, that's for sure. It was more of a common-sense reminder. Too bad Mr. Zimmerman had none.
Old 06-28-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's good advice because it does increase your chance of personal harm, if the person is a threat. Not following that advice doesn't forfeit your rights or make you actually <i>deserve</i> to be attacked.
Old 06-28-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not following the advice certainly isn't criminal, or imply his guilt, however it does indicate that he is a total moron and a Charles Bronson wannabe.
Old 06-28-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see GZ as a victim either. I see him as a defendant who did something stupid (getting out of his car), but doing something stupid shouldn't have any effect on his ability to physically defend himself, nor should it change the burden of proof needed to convict him.
I do not think he did anything stupid at all. I know all the people in my neighborhood, and if I saw a hood guy walking around after several homes had been broken into, I would call the police and go ask him if I could help him.

We did this all the time when I worked at BestBuy on Christmas. If someone was doing weird things or was trying to steal something, we would go up to him one at a time and ask him/her "Can I help you".
-That person would not steal a thing and leave the store.

It is not illegal at all to go up to anyone and ask them anything you want. Shoot, I can go up and take a picture of them if I want. If they start a fight over it, I have every right to defend myself. If it was illegal to go up and take a picture of someone or asking them a question, then all of the paparazzi would be arrested and thrown in jail (hhhmmmm, maybe it should be illegal).

Was TM a racist if he true said "Creepy ass cracker", notice how the media has NOT broadcasted that statement all over the news and internet.

But, NBC will edit a 911 tape to make it seem like GZ was calling him "Black" and made GZ out to be a racist, which was NOT true at all.

So far the evidence does not seem to point out the GZ is guilty of anything at all.

I wish none of this would have happened and TM would still be alive, but GZ did nothing but protect himself, at least nothing in court has proven he his guilty - yet. And, he is innocent until proven guilty.
Old 06-28-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is over a year old but it perfectly describes what GZ is :

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...W6y0mEwgoU0L7K

Trayvon's killer a cop wannabe on paranoid patrol

For more than a decade, George Zimmerman dreamed of a life in law enforcement — but instead of becoming a real cop, he lived out his big blue fantasy by tracking down stray dogs, “suspicious” children and other intruders in his gated Florida community.

Before he gunned down unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin — an incident President Obama confronted Friday, calling it a tragedy — Zimmerman had been a nuisance to 911 operators. He would carry around with him a pistol and the hope that he would one day wear a badge.

Zimmerman grew up in Manassas, Va., a Catholic altar boy who was the son of a military man.

He wrote in his senior yearbook that he was “going to Florida to work with my godfather who just bought a $1 million business” — but Zimmerman’s heart was pulling him toward law enforcement.

“He wanted to join the police force — either the State Police or the county police,” said George Hall, 78, a retired minister and longtime neighbor of Zimmerman in Virginia.

“He asked me to write him a letter of recommendation, and I was glad to. He was such a wonderful kid. I thought he’d be the kind of officer I wanted protecting me.

“I had no doubt about his abilities to look out for citizens. I would have an easier time respecting him than I have with some officers now.”

Hall said he didn’t know when Zimmerman’s detective dreams were dashed.

But that didn’t stop Zimmerman from playing the part.

He had a license to carry a concealed weapon, and he started a neighborhood watch last September in his gated community in Sanford, Fla.

Well before that, he was calling cops for just the slightest, racially tinged suspicions.

As the watch volunteer at the 260-unit Retreat at Twin Lakes, he became a paranoid pest — peppering 911 with at least 46 calls. They varied in urgency, but in the last year focused mostly on black men or boys.

That included a “suspicious” 7- to 9-year-old boy with a “skinny build” and short black hair.

In November 2006, he called to report a red Toyota pickup truck “driving real slow” around the neighborhood for five minutes.

In September 2009, he called about a “yellow speed bike” weaving in and out of traffic and doing “wheelies.”

A month later, Zimmerman was hot on the scent of an “aggressive white and brown pit bull.”

And last August, he reported a black man he believed was “involved in recent” burglaries.

The son of a white father and a Peruvian mother, Zimmerman was ambitious, friends said.

Zimmerman moved to Florida in 2001, and he enrolled in Seminole State College in 2003, pursuing a vocational certificate to become an insurance agent.

Down South, he had his own brushes with the law. In 2005, he was arrested for assaulting a cop and resisting arrest. He avoided conviction by entering a pretrial-diversion program.

That same year, his ex-fiancée, Veronica Zuazo, filed a restraining order against him, claiming he had been near her home “just checking up” on her. When she demanded that he leave, he allegedly grew violent, pushing her, according to the Miami Herald.

The next day, he filed his own petition and claimed she wanted him to stay the night and grew violent when he refused. A judge ordered both to stay away from each other.

In 2008, he explained away his arrest on an enrollment application to a citizen’s law-enforcement academy program at the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office.

“I was in an altercation with an undercover officer that was taking part in an ATF sting for underage drinking in UCF [University of Central Florida],” Zimmerman wrote, according to documents obtained by The Post.

“He never told me he was an officer and assaulted me first.

“My father is a retired magistrate judge for the Supreme Court of Virginia and my mother was a deputy clerk of court for over 20 years,” he wrote. “I hold law-enforcement officers in the highest regard as I hope one day to become one.”

Zimmerman was accepted into the 14-week course, which offers civilians an inside look at the sheriff’s office, the courthouse and the jail. He never became a cop — he was a pencil pusher, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Zimmerman re-enrolled at Seminole State in 2009 — still with the hopes of joining law enforcement — but was booted last week because of safety concerns for him, the Los Angeles Times said.

Zimmerman’s paranoia led directly to his Feb. 26 encounter with Trayvon Martin, 17.

Police said Zimmerman first spied Trayvon walking from a 7-Eleven at about 7:15 p.m. and called police to report him as suspicious. Although he was told by a 911 operator not to get involved, Zimmerman followed Trayvon.

They scuffled and Zimmerman shot him once in the chest with his licensed Kel-Tec 9mm semiautomatic handgun. Zimmerman says he acted in self-defense. A special prosecutor, the FBI and the US Department of Justice are investigating.

Zimmerman is also facing trouble from the militant New Black Panther Party, which yesterday offered a $10,000 reward for his “capture,” the Sentinel reported.

George Zimmerman has placed at least 46 calls to 911 in the last eight years. In the last year, his calls focused on blacks in his gated community:

April 22, 2011: Reports “black male, 7 to 9 years old with skinny build,” walking around the neighborhood.

Aug. 3, 2011: Calls in a black male he “believes is involved in

recent burglaries in the neighborhood.”

Aug. 6, 2011: Fingers two black teens he thinks “have been burglarizing homes in this area.”

Oct. 1, 2011: Reports two black males, approximately 20 to 30 years old, whom he does not recognize. He says he’s “concerned due to recent burglaries in the area.”

Feb. 2, 2012: Drops dime on a black male because it is “unknown what he is doing.”

Feb. 26: Calls about Trayvon Martin

Hey, we’ve had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there is a real suspicious guy.

Asked by the dispatcher what the suspect looks like, he says:

He looks black . . . Now he’s coming towards me. He’s got his hand in his waistband.
Old 06-28-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post

OK, but there is NO law stating you cannot go up to someone and ask them a question.
-How is your day?
-What is your name?
-What are you doing here?
-Can I help you?
-How tall are you?
-Anything else you can think of...

GZ and the other Neighbor Hood Watch people were told NOT to approach the "Stranger" for the Watch People protection.
-GZ broke NO law by going up to TM to ask him a question, if that is what he did.
Old 06-28-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant View Post
We did this all the time when I worked at BestBuy on Christmas. If someone was doing weird things or was trying to steal something, we would go up to him one at a time and ask him/her "Can I help you".
-That person would not steal a thing and leave the store.
Did you carry a gun with you when you confronted people while working at Best Buy?
Old 06-28-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

People are told not to jaywalk, or exceed the speed limit. I'd like to hear from some of the other neighborhood watch volunteers to see if some of their training is not always followed to the letter.
Old 06-28-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most of George Zimmerman's 911 calls were forwarded to him from residents from where he lived. They were reporting too him because he was the neighborhood watch guy.
Old 06-28-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Is a neighborhood watch captain?
I didn't realize it's illegal for anyone to follow or talk to a stranger if they're not a police captain.
Old 06-28-13, 05:56 PM
Banned

I don't think Martin's alleged past problems matter either.
It does.
That way one can see if Martin's life was a great loss to society.
It's like what if Hitler,John Gacy,Bin-Ladin would have been killed at age 17?
Old 06-28-13, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
It does.
That way one can see if Martin's life was a great loss to society.
It's like what if Hitler,John Gacy,Bin-Ladin would have been killed at age 17?
Holy crap. You are now comparing Martin to Hitler?
Old 06-28-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
George Zimmerman has placed at least 46 calls to 911 in the last eight years. In the last year, his calls focused on blacks in his gated community:

April 22, 2011: Reports “black male, 7 to 9 years old with skinny build,” walking around the neighborhood.

Aug. 3, 2011: Calls in a black male he “believes is involved in

recent burglaries in the neighborhood.”

Aug. 6, 2011: Fingers two black teens he thinks “have been burglarizing homes in this area.”

Oct. 1, 2011: Reports two black males, approximately 20 to 30 years old, whom he does not recognize. He says he’s “concerned due to recent burglaries in the area.”

Feb. 2, 2012: Drops dime on a black male because it is “unknown what he is doing.”

Hey, we’ve had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there is a real suspicious guy.

He looks black . . . Now he’s coming towards me. He’s got his hand in his waistband.
-8 Year, that would be 5 or 6 a year (I do not know if that is good or bad, but it is not illegal) (1 call every other month or so, not too much it seems)
-How many of the house that were broken into were done by someone who is black (If all or most were done by someone who is black, this might explain why GZ was calling when he saw someone who was black that he did not recognize).

***If you are making GZ out to be a racist/bad character, then you MUST post the same info on TM
-Getting kick out of school
-Pot
-His racist comments...weeks/months/years before the attack ("Creepy ass cracker")
-Fights he has gotten into
-His juvenile record

Neither GZ or TM past should matter, only what happened that night (what was illegal and what was self-defense).
-But, once again the media loves to point out ALL the possible way TZ could have been racist, but TM is a young little 12/13 year old saint.

If GZ had said anything like "Creepy ass cracker" toward TM, the buildings would be burning.
-No one should be calling each other name, I have said 3 or 4 curse words my entire life...and that was 3 or 4 too many.
-It is time for the NEWS media to start acting unbiased and report both sides of the story, report news not just the side they want us to see.

I look forward to the trail bring out the lawful truth and the real facts of the case, whatever it may be.
Old 06-28-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Holy crap. You are now comparing Martin to Hitler?
Don't waste your time magiccmom.
Old 06-28-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant View Post
-8 Year, that would be 5 or 6 a year (I do not know if that is good or bad, but it is not illegal) (1 call every other month or so, not too much it seems)
-How many of the house that were broken into were done by someone who is black (If all or most were done by someone who is black, this might explain why GZ was calling when he saw someone who was black that he did not recognize).

***If you are making GZ out to be a racist/bad character, then you MUST post the same info on TM
-Getting kick out of school
-Pot
-His racist comments...weeks/months/years before the attack ("Creepy ass cracker")
-Fights he has gotten into
-His juvenile record

Neither GZ or TM past should matter, only what happened that night (what was illegal and what was self-defense).
-But, once again the media loves to point out ALL the possible way TZ could have been racist, but TM is a young little 12/13 year old saint.

If GZ had said anything like "Creepy ass cracker" toward TM, the buildings would be burning.
-No one should be calling each other name, I have said 3 or 4 curse words my entire life...and that was 3 or 4 too many.
-It is time for the NEWS media to start acting unbiased and report both sides of the story, report news not just the side they want us to see.

I look forward to the trail bring out the lawful truth and the real facts of the case, whatever it may be.
I agree. Neither one's past should matter. All that should matter is what happened that night.
Old 06-28-13, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Don't waste your time magiccmom.
Your right. I took the bait.
Old 06-28-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Did you carry a gun with you when you confronted people while working at Best Buy?
No, but I have been in stores that the workers did have weapons/guns on their hips...and it was not illegal.
-Once again, we need to get away from GZ was a criminal for "Calling 911" on TM and trying to talk to TM, even if GZ had a concealed weapon permit. None of this was illegal...the question is who started the fight?

Having a gun does not make GZ illegal or a criminal, what he does with his gun and why he did it, that could be illegal.
-This is what the trail is all about, they have to prove it was NOT in self-defense.

Time will tell...
Old 06-28-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I agree. Neither one's past should matter. All that should matter is what happened that night.
Amen brother.

I was surprised when the list of 911 calls from GZ could be used in court, but nothing from TM past could be used (well, so far at least).

Trail has a ways to go, so we will see.
Old 06-28-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Ah, I knew you'd be good for the stupidest post of 2013.
...and the year isn't even half over yet!
Old 06-28-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

And then there's the actual transcript:

GZ: Hey, we’ve had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there is a real suspicious guy. It’s Retreat View Circle. The best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle.

This guy looks like he’s up to no good or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around looking about.

911: OK, is he White, Black, or Hispanic? (Asked by the dispatcher what the suspect looks like, he says)

He looks black.

911: Did you see what he was wearing?

GZ: Yeah, a dark hoodie like a gray hoodie. He wore jeans or sweat pants and white tennis shoes. He’s here now … he’s just staring.

911: He’s just walking around the area, the houses? OK.

GZ: Now he’s staring at me.

911: OK, you said that’s 1111 Retreat View or 111?

GZ: That’s the clubhouse.

911: He’s near the clubhouse now?

GZ: Yeah,
now he’s coming towards me. He’s got his hand in his waistband.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.