Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Old 06-28-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yeah, George Zimmerman is about as hispanic as Ted Williams (who was half Mexican).
And he is as white as Obama who is half white.
Old 06-28-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
And he is as white as Obama who is half white.
But Obama said Trayvon looked like his imaginary son. What am I supposed to believe?
Old 06-28-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Again, so what? Nobody's saying that Zimmerman didn't initiate a sequence of events that lead to a tragic outcome. Unless the initial event was a crime, Zimmerman starting the chain of events shouldn't mean that the burden is now on Zimmerman to prove his innocence.
It really shouldn't matter. People against George keep hounding that this whole thing would have never happened if George hadn't initiated the events. That's like saying the person who accidentally hit a pedestrian while driving would not be convicted of vehicular manslaughter if the victim had just stayed home that night.

The fact is Martin attacked Zimmerman and he was forced to defend himself. We have photo evidence to back up that version of the story. Very little concrete evidence to the contrary.
Old 06-28-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
It really shouldn't matter. People against George keep hounding that this whole thing would have never happened if George hadn't initiated the events. That's like saying the person who accidentally hit a pedestrian while driving would not be convicted of vehicular manslaughter if the victim had just stayed home that night.
Uh no. Doing things to initiate a confrontation is not the same thing as going out for a drive. One is a deliberate act that is likely to evoke a negative response while the other is purely accidental.
Old 06-28-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Uh no. Doing things to initiate a confrontation is not the same thing as going out for a drive. One is a deliberate act that is likely to evoke a negative response while the other is purely accidental.
If neither are crimes, neither should matter at a trial.
Old 06-28-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah
Old 06-28-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If neither are crimes, neither should matter at a trial.
Right because accidently hitting someone with a car is exactly the same as pulling out a gun and willfully shooting someone.
Old 06-28-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
People against George keep hounding that this whole thing would have never happened if George hadn't initiated the events.
Apples.

That's like saying the person who accidentally hit a pedestrian while driving would not be convicted of vehicular manslaughter if the victim had just stayed home that night.
Oranges.

The fact is Martin attacked Zimmerman and he was forced to defend himself. We have photo evidence to back up that version of the story.
It's only "fact" based on Zimmerman's statement. I believe he punched himself in the face after slipping in the wet grass and hitting his head. We have photo evidence to back up that version.
Old 06-28-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right because accidently hitting someone with a car is exactly the same as pulling out a gun and willfully shooting someone.
I'm not talking about the shooting, I'm talking about the instigation.

Suppose Paula Deen tonight just starts telling a bunch of racist jokes. Someone hears them, doesn't think it's funny, one thing leads to another, and she fears for her life. Does she have less of a right to defend herself than if she hadn't "started it?"
Old 06-28-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post

It's only "fact" based on Zimmerman's statement. I believe he punched himself in the face after slipping in the wet grass and hitting his head. We have photo evidence to back up that version.
What about Trayvon's bloody knuckles? After George shot him, did he punch him self with Trayvon's fists?

One person has blood fists, another has a busted face, seems like a good case of self defense to me.
Old 06-28-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Zimmerman is a defendant. Unless you can prove that his "facts" are lies, it's a moot point.
Old 06-28-13, 03:42 PM

I'm not talking about the shooting, I'm talking about the instigation.

Suppose Paula Deen tonight just starts telling a bunch of racist jokes. Someone hears them, doesn't think it's funny, one thing leads to another, and she fears for her life. Does she have less of a right to defend herself than if she hadn't "started it?"
Not even a close comparison, but I'll play. If Paula Deen continued telling her jokes while following someone, and was packing a gun, and the racist joke police told her to stop and not tell jokes anymore and she continued to provoke, stalk and harass and it led to a confrontation that she initiated and wouldn't stop, yes I would feel she asked for the retaliation she instigated.
Old 06-28-13, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Ever heard the saying "don't bring a knife to a gunfight"? Probably goes double for hands and feet.
Better bring at least one hand, if you intend to fire the gun. Two hands if you think you might have to reload.

You have obviously never been in a gunfight!
Old 06-28-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
Not even a close comparison, but I'll play. If Paula Deen continued telling her jokes while following someone, and was packing a gun, and the racist joke police told her to stop and not tell jokes anymore and she continued to provoke, stalk and harass and it led to a confrontation that she initiated and wouldn't stop, yes I would feel she asked for the retaliation she instigated.
And if after all that, Paula goes on trial, does she have the burden to prove her innocence? Or is it still on the prosecution to prove guilt?
Old 06-28-13, 03:58 PM

And if after all that, Paula goes on trial, does she have the burden to prove her innocence? Or is it still on the prosecution to prove guilt?
Def on the prosecution to prove guilt. I'm not saying he isn't going to walk, since you know, the only other guy who knows what happened, didn't have a gun, and can't tell his story because of being dead and all. I just don't see GZ, I mean Paula, as the victim.
Old 06-28-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see GZ as a victim either. I see him as a defendant who did something stupid (getting out of his car), but doing something stupid shouldn't have any effect on his ability to physically defend himself, nor should it change the burden of proof needed to convict him.
Old 06-28-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's one of HLN's biggest resident idiots Jane Velez Mitchell making cable news history by straddling a man in a cowgirl position to demonstrate the confrontation. The man then uses a plastic gun to "shoot" Jane at the climax.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FdE4se4iN3w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-28-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's one of HLN's biggest resident idiots Jane Velez Mitchell making cable news history by straddling a man in a cowgirl position to demonstrate the confrontation. The man then uses a plastic gun to "shoot" Jane at the climax.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FdE4se4iN3w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-28-13, 04:43 PM

Just out of curiosity, how are you defining "provoke, stalk, and harass"? Is she restraining the racist police so that they have no choice but to listen to her racist jokes? Is she trespassing onto their property, into their homes, and whispering racist jokes into their ears while they lay sleeping in their beeds at night?

What did GZ do that you feel provoked the retaliation he instigated?
Old 06-28-13, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Zimmerman was made an honorary white man, I believe.
Yeah, uh uh. That was a press release put out by the Hispanics who didn't want to claim him. I can call Carrot Top an honorary African-American, that doesn't make it true.
Old 06-28-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So wrong

Old 06-28-13, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Just out of curiosity, how are you defining "provoke, stalk, and harass"? Is she restraining the racist police so that they have no choice but to listen to her racist jokes? Is she trespassing onto their property, into their homes, and whispering racist jokes into their ears while they lay sleeping in their beeds at night?

What did GZ do that you feel provoked the retaliation he instigated?
I'll go with whatever happened after the dispatcher told George not follow Trayvon. Anything that happened after that is on George. He felt he was above what a police dispatcher told him.
Old 06-28-13, 05:04 PM

I'll go with whatever happened after the dispatcher told George not follow Trayvon. Anything that happened after that is on George. He felt he was above what a police dispatcher told him.
Like walking back to his truck?
Old 06-28-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She said "We don't need you to do that."

I love how people seem to be making the leap as if the dispatcher is a commanding officer and Zimmerman is a soldier being told to "Stand down."

"We don't need you to do that" is a fairly passive statement.
Old 06-28-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is a 911 dispatcher technically considered a law enforcement official?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.