Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Old 06-28-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
By the way Zimmerman looks he might have sewn his asshole up and kept feeding him & feeding him & feeding him.
Z-I-M-M-E-R...Man
Old 06-28-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
By the way Zimmerman looks he might have sewn his asshole up and kept feeding him & feeding him & feeding him.
Guilt overeating
Old 06-28-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He provoked a 17 year old kid, because he was the big man with a gun. Was Treyvon doing anything other than walking through a neighborhood. Was he peering in windows, on someone's property, trying to open car doors. Was he doing anything suspicious other than just walking??? Because if he wasn't, and now he is dead, that is incomprehensible to me.
Old 06-28-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
He provoked a 17 year old kid, because he was the big man with a gun. Was Treyvon doing anything other than walking through a neighborhood. Was he peering in windows, on someone's property, trying to open car doors. Was he doing anything suspicious other than just walking??? Because if he wasn't, and now he is dead, that is incomprehensible to me.
The question Zimmy defenders don't want to address is would he have had this confrontation if he wasn't packing. The wuss I see in court looks like the typical cop wannabe who grows great big cajones when he's got his 9mm penis extender.
Old 06-28-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they both could have made better decisions, but I probably hold the 28 year old man to a higher standard than a 17 year old. Who wasn't a bit hotheaded when they were 17 and overwhelmed by hormones? Trayvon was just minding his own business and had no idea he'd have to protect his neck that night.
Old 06-28-13, 10:54 AM
Banned

Maybe just maybe Zimmerman was trying to prevent something like this happening.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...caught-on-tape
Old 06-28-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

At approximately 7:09 PM,[Note 1] Zimmerman called the Sanford police non-emergency number to report what he considered a suspicious person in the Twin Lakes community.[93] Zimmerman stated, "We've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy."[63] He described an unknown male "just walking around looking about" in the rain and said, "This guy looks like he is up to no good or he is on drugs or something."[94] Zimmerman reported that the person had his hand in his waistband and was walking around looking at homes.[95] On the recording, Zimmerman is heard saying, "these assholes, they always get away."[96][97]

Zimmerman's account:

After telling the police dispatcher that Martin "ran,"[190] Zimmerman left his vehicle to determine his location and ascertain in which direction Martin had fled.[184][191] The dispatcher asked if Zimmerman was following Martin, and Zimmerman replied "Yeah." Then the dispatcher said, "OK, we don't need you to do that." Zimmerman replied with "OK" and stated that Martin got away.[190] After a discussion about where Zimmerman would meet police, the call ended, and Zimmerman told investigators he was returning to his vehicle when Martin approached him from his left rear and confronted him.[184][185] According to Zimmerman, Martin then punched him in the face, knocking him down, and began beating his head against the sidewalk.[184][185] Zimmerman said he called out for help while being beaten, and at one point Martin covered his mouth to muffle the screams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...orge_Zimmerman

If these accounts are true then it certainly doesn't sound like Martin was simply walking down the street in a normal manner.

Also, it doesn't sound like Zimmerman went chasing after Martin. It says that he got out of the vehicle to determine where Martin ran off and then said "OK" after the dispatcher's instruction. He returned to his vehicle and was attacked.
Old 06-28-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I can't get around the fact that if Martin had just left the scene instead of trying to be a tough guy thug by charging and attacking Zimmerman, this never would have happened.
Zimmerman would have just kept following him.
Old 06-28-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Maybe just maybe Zimmerman was trying to prevent something like this happening.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...caught-on-tape
You are supposed to assume the worst (and make stuff up about him as you go to help you) about Zimmerman and assume the best from Martin because Martin is such an upstanding citizen with a long history of making good decisions.
Old 06-28-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The question Zimmy defenders don't want to address is would he have had this confrontation if he wasn't packing. The wuss I see in court looks like the typical cop wannabe who grows great big cajones when he's got his 9mm penis extender.
I don't necessarily think of myself as a Zimmy defender, but why does this matter?

I definitely think that Zimmerman initiated a sequence of events that he did not need to initiate. I don't think that means he doesn't have the right to defend himself if he legitimately believed his life was in danger. Nor do I think that's reason enough to assume anything he says is a lie.

Now, if the initial event in a sequence of events that gets out of hand and escalates into a tragedy is an illegal act, that changes things. Was it illegal for Zimmerman to own a gun. Was it illegal for Zimmerman to carry a gun. Was it illegal for Zimmerman to carry THAT gun? Was it illegal for Zimmerman to leave his car?
Old 06-28-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
You are supposed to assume the worst (and make stuff up about him as you go to help you) about Zimmerman and assume the best from Martin because Martin is such an upstanding citizen with a long history of making good decisions.
I don't think Martin's alleged past problems matter either.
Old 06-28-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am feeling neutral about this (just ate a Swiss cheese sandwich so that may be why)...both made bad decisions. Regrettably, it led to the death of one of them.
Old 06-28-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand the emotion and the tragedy of this situation, but I'm growing more and more incredulous with each witness the prosecution puts on. The state has an extremely weak case, and I have a hard time seeing how some jurors would not find reasonable doubt. I've been an attorney for twelve years and have some trial experience so I guess I have an easier time separating fact from emotion, but this trial is getting ridiculous.

At the end of the day, you can believe that GZ was a hot-headed, Barney Fife-wanabee who put himself in a volitile situation, but that doesn't mean TM's shooting was murder within the definition of the law.

I just hope MSNBC, Nancy Grace, and the rest of the pitchfork mob, stoking media realize their part in this once the post-acquittal riots start.
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I understand the emotion and the tragedy of this situation, but I'm growing more and more incredulous with each witness the prosecution puts on. The state has an extremely weak case, and I have a hard time seeing how some jurors would not find reasonable doubt. I've been an attorney for twelve years and have some trial experience so I guess I have an easier time separating fact from emotion, but this trial is getting ridiculous.

At the end of the day, you can believe that GZ was a hot-headed, Barney Fife-wanabee who put himself in a volitile situation, but that doesn't mean TM's shooting was murder within the definition of the law.

I just hope MSNBC, Nancy Grace, and the rest of the pitchfork mob, stoking media realize their part in this once the post-acquittal riots start.
Agreed 100%. I'm sort of amazed they went forward with this case. I figured it was going to be weak but thought that maybe they had something really strong that the public did not know. To me, this trial is coming off as an appeasement to the black community. The media really fueled the flames and put them in a position where they had to do something. We'll see how the rest of their case goes.
Old 06-28-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
Agreed 100%. I'm sort of amazed they went forward with this case. I figured it was going to be weak but thought that maybe they had something really strong that the public did not know. To me, this trial is coming off as an appeasement to the black community. The media really fueled the flames and put them in a position where they had to do something. We'll see how the rest of their case goes.
Maybe it was appeasement, maybe it was an attempt to delay the inevitable. People talk about the impending "riots" that will take place upon acquittal, but I wonder what would have caused more unrest:

a) an announcement that they don't have enough evidence and they're not bringing this to trial
b) a highly anticipated jury verdict announcement that's going to be covered by every TV station in America
Old 06-28-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
If you want to bring up their histories (for some reason), it is Zimmerman with the shadier background, imo.
Old 06-28-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Zimmerman was paranoid and a little bit racist, it's not uncommon in central Florida these days.

He followed Martin, Martin retaliated because that's what you do when somebody is following you. It escalated quickly, not helped by Zimmerman being a total and complete ass. I don't doubt he was afraid for his life, he's a quote "little bitch", literally - like one of those aggressive little dogs that attack everything because they're frankly terrified of everything.

You aren't going to find anyone to really back up Martin, he didn't seem to keep particularly well educated companions and that comes off poorly to, well, pretty much everybody, especially if that's all you have for character witnesses.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-13 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If these accounts are true then it certainly doesn't sound like Martin was simply walking down the street in a normal manner.
Yeah because we all know that anyone who is black and wearing a hoodie is obviously on drugs and up to no good.

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
If you want to bring up their histories (for some reason), it is Zimmerman with the shadier background, imo.
Looks to me like he has temper problems and an aggressive personality. Lucky for him his father was a judge or else he would never have gotten a firearms carrying permit with that kind of past behavior.

resisting officer with violence
battery of law enforcement officer

ex-fiance filed a civil motion for a restraining order alleging domestic violence
Old 06-28-13, 12:00 PM

Zimmerman's account:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...orge_Zimmerman

Also, it doesn't sound like Zimmerman went chasing after Martin. It says that he got out of the vehicle to determine where Martin ran off and then said "OK" after the dispatcher's instruction. He returned to his vehicle and was attacked.
So you quote Zimmerman's account. Proves nothing. Btw, walking to a home in the rain looking around isn't suspicious in any extent of the law. My son has walked home in the rain with his hoodie on also. He looked like he was on drugs? How did that look with a hoodie on in the rain?
Old 06-28-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you quote Zimmerman's account. Proves nothing. Btw, walking to a home in the rain looking around isn't suspicious in any extent of the law. My son has walked home in the rain with his hoodie on also. He looked like he was on drugs? How did that look with a hoodie on in the rain?
Zimmerman's account doesn't have to prove anything. It's not up to him to prove that his account is true. It's up to the state to prove that his account is false.
Old 06-28-13, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Zimmerman's account doesn't have to prove anything. It's not up to him to prove that his account is true. It's up to the state to prove that his account is false.
Right, certainly not in a court of law. I don't see anything in that statement that would show me anything why a kid should be dead right now to begin with. I was asking what Treyvon did that was suspicious except walk through a neighborhood to provoke Zimmerman's overreaction in the first place.
Old 06-28-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see holding Zimm responsible for the overall situation and charging him with manslaughter. Murder 2 may have been an over-reach brought about by the political circus. If they both over-reacted I have an easier time understanding Martin's anger than Zimm's initial stalking, but I don't see Murder 2 if Zimm shot him while struggling for his own safety, and the prosecution isn't disproving that possibility very well.
Old 06-28-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I live in a quiet residential neighborhood (not a mixed use neighborhood that attracts a lot of visitors), but a quiet place where I only really see people who live in that neighborhood AND there have been recent break-ins AND there's someone walking down the street that I've never seen before, I'm probably going to be suspicious of that person.

Was walking though the neighborhood wrong? No. Is it enough, under the circumstances, to make someone suspicious? I think so.
Old 06-28-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well at least we got a hot witness today

Trayvon Martin witness denies he was the aggressor
Old 06-28-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Well at least we got a hot witness today

Trayvon Martin witness denies he was the aggressor
Not Guilty!!

..and thus in effect George Zimmerman is guilty.

Last edited by Jaymole; 06-28-13 at 12:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.