Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 04-19-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Last edited by inri222; 04-20-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Just so it's not all bad in here, this video shows where an officer WOULD have been justified in shooting, but didn't, because he wanted to be absolutely sure before using deadly force. He probably realized the guy was going for suicide by cop, and even when the cop fell down when he was backpedaling, he still showed restraint. Another unit shows up, they take the guy into custody without incident. Well done.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/officer-i-w...force/32436026
He probably seen it was a white guy so showed some restraint. Cops only fear for their lives when a black guy is running at them. Yeah good job for not killing a unarmed person. We should seen him a cookie for doing his job in the worse way possible. Maybe next time pull out the god damn taser on unarmed people.
Old 04-19-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
He probably seen it was a white guy so showed some restraint. Cops only fear for their lives when a black guy is running at them. Yeah good job for not killing a unarmed person. We should seen him a cookie for doing his job in the worse way possible. Maybe next time pull out the god damn taser on unarmed people.
You know this guy was wanted for murdering 2 people right? No issues with him going right for the gun, and not trying to holster it and get his taser while running backwards.
Old 04-19-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I thought cops only fear for their lives when a black guy is running away from them.
Old 04-20-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7097618.html

Mike Yoder · Top Commenter · Studio painter at Self Employed Artist

Well, congratulations on not killing somebody? The fact that "cop doesn't kill suspect" makes national headlines should tell you something about the law-enforcement crisis this country is currently facing.

Reply · · 18 · 4 hours ago
Old 04-20-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Just so it's not all bad in here, this video shows where an officer WOULD have been justified in shooting, but didn't, because he wanted to be absolutely sure before using deadly force. He probably realized the guy was going for suicide by cop, and even when the cop fell down when he was backpedaling, he still showed restraint. Another unit shows up, they take the guy into custody without incident. Well done.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/officer-i-w...force/32436026
I did everything correctly at my job on Thursday too. Do I get a "well done"? No, I got a paycheck and got to come back the next day. Good lord.

Also this is the "Cops Behaving Badly" thread.
Old 04-20-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I did everything correctly at my job on Thursday too.
From a fellow TV person, great job Draven!
Old 04-20-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
From a fellow TV person, great job Draven!
Thank you! Waiting for WLWT to pick up my story too.
Old 04-20-15, 01:34 PM

I did everything correctly at my job on Thursday too. Do I get a "well done"? No, I got a paycheck and got to come back the next day. Good lord.

Bit of a silly equivalence, no?

Or do you think suspected murderers are running towards officers in Elsmere every day?
Old 04-20-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Bit of a silly equivalence, no?

Or do you think suspected murderers are running towards officers in Elsmere every day?
Honestly, I don't know. I'm guessing because not shooting someone is less notable than shooting someone. I would hope that cops are not shooting people on a daily basis.
Old 04-20-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know, I figured in the interest of balance, I should post that one. I've posted plenty of behaving badly stories in this thread, I just thought this one in particular showed the way things should be done. Even when he would have been justified in shooting him the way he was charging, being a murder suspect and all.
Old 04-21-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

So let's talk about this..

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...FlowFB_LABrand

So this cop snatches the phone out of her hands and throws it on the ground and kicks it back at her.

At first I was thinking this was certainly over the top but it got me thinking that phones these days aren't just recording devices - they are also transmission devices. If my buddies were in a house and the cops were getting ready to break in and I'm standing outside and sending them a live feed of what the cops are doing.. do I have the right to do that? Wouldn't that put them in danger? Should that not enter into the equation at all?
Old 04-21-15, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

That's an odd video. The person that gets her phone thrown seems to look right at the person recording the event like she knows she's being recorded. And that recording person never takes any video of what the cops are actually there for?
Old 04-21-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
If my buddies were in a house and the cops were getting ready to break in and I'm standing outside and sending them a live feed of what the cops are doing.. do I have the right to do that? Wouldn't that put them in danger? Should that not enter into the equation at all?
A grownup would use his words to express those concerns to the person with the phone, not throw it down and kick it like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

In other words, detain her if need be. But if the person in the house is aware enough to be watching a live feed, he's already aware the law is coming for him.

If I were a U.S. marshal I'd be more concerned about security cameras on the house.
Old 04-21-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
That's an odd video. The person that gets her phone thrown seems to look right at the person recording the event like she knows she's being recorded. And that recording person never takes any video of what the cops are actually there for?
The video was apparently being taken by a neighbor who "saw what was going on". The lady who's phone got smashed said the police blocked her view twice but she told them she had a right to film them so they "take accountability". (The first quote was from a reporter and the second was from the lady who's phone got smashed).

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
A grownup would use his words to express those concerns to the person with the phone, not throw it down and kick it like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

In other words, detain her if need be. But if the person in the house is aware enough to be watching a live feed, he's already aware the law is coming for him.

If I were a U.S. marshal I'd be more concerned about security cameras on the house.
Hearing one side, which was this ladies side, she said they didn't talk to her at all or ask her to stop filming. The just got in her way. So it's quite possible they did tell her to move back, stop filming, etc.. I have no idea.
Old 04-22-15, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my phone smashed by Philly cops years ago while filming a bar fight outside a bar. I picked up the pieces and walked away. I heard enough bad stories about Philly cops that I didn't want to push my luck.
Old 04-23-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

So here's an update.. I pretty much had this nailed. This just came out this morning:

Salvaged cellphone footage shows a woman arguing with federal agents moments before her device was smashed during a biker gang bust in South Gate.
"This is unsafe right now, you're right in the line of the fire," an officer tells her. "Go across the street and film all you want."
She refuses. and moments later another U.S Marshall grabbed her device and smashed it on the floor.
Link

So there it is. She was really there just be in the way and cause problems more than anything else. She got her wish .. and I'm sure she'll get rewarded for it with some settlement.
Old 04-23-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's what Raylan Gives would do.
Old 04-23-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How many problems could we avoid as a society if we banned motherfucking cellphones?
Old 04-23-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Officer Bill Melendez charged with three felonies in brutal beating, planting evidence on Floyd Dent

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...-on-Floyd-Dent
Old 04-23-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
So here's an update.. I pretty much had this nailed. This just came out this morning:

Link

So there it is. She was really there just be in the way and cause problems more than anything else. She got her wish .. and I'm sure she'll get rewarded for it with some settlement.
I really worry that after the NC video came out people are going to be stupid and constantly put themselves and officers in danger so that they can go "I have a right to record you!" Actually in general, this whole society is stupid. Someone could be getting stabbed right in front of them and instead of calling the police there videotaping it in hopes of posting it to Facebook or selling it to news outlets. Just ridiculous.
Old 04-23-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
How many problems could we avoid as a society if we banned motherfucking cellphones?
Said before but I'll reiterate; I have absolutely no problem with cell phones or filming cops in action. In fact in cases of police misconduct I'm an advocate for it. In all circumstances I do have a problem with community organizers or others known to have a bias, trying to get in the way, not caring if they are in the way, or getting in the cop's face trying to elicit a reaction. If they are trying to arrest someone and violence erupts, having you a couple feet away will only make it worse. If you get hit with a bullet, fist, or spray are you then going to sue the department for not protecting you?

Film all you fucking want, but get, the fuck, out of the way. Twenty or thirty feet minimum.
Old 04-23-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Film all you fucking want, but get, the fuck, out of the way. Twenty or thirty feet minimum.
Why? Why not have someone film you getting in their way and yelling at them and doing everything they ask you not to do and hoping they push you or do something aggressive.. then go home and edit the video just to show that part, upload it to the web, and have all these internet morons jump to their conclusions and you get a big payday to make the story go away? Seems like that's the new tactic.. and it seems to work quite well.
Old 04-23-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A former cop runs the largest database of police misconduct in the US

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-for...country-2015-4

An Ex-Cop Keeps The Country’s Best Data Set On Police Misconduct

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...ce-misconduct/
Old 04-23-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish there was better reporting about police work and misconduct. I think there should be a federal law database of every bullet fired by police (outside of training/range time), all the who/what/where, if people were hit, if non-intended targets were hit/killed, how many shots fired, how many hit etc. Right now many places aren't required to report if they shot somebody, that's not right. We have no accurate idea of how many people are shot and killed by police each year.

I'd also be a fan of a rule that forces every police officer arrest to be logged as well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.