DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Sean O'Hara 10-20-14 09:26 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12275662)
Yet another deflection that has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Are you unwilling or simply unable to read and comprehend the posts in this thread?

We've explained to you the context of DVD Polizei's overall posting history, and provided specific examples, but now you're moving the goalpost by claiming the context has to be clear in the actual post in question.

inri222 10-20-14 01:13 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...exas/17609317/

Video of police officer shooting dog sparks investigation

<iframe frameborder="0" width="698" height="503" scrolling="no" id="molvideoplayer" title="MailOnline Embed Player" src="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/1128648.html" ></iframe>

jjcool 10-20-14 01:26 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12275693)
We've explained to you the context of DVD Polizei's overall posting history, and provided specific examples, but now you're moving the goalpost by claiming the context has to be clear in the actual post in question.

Since, again, you seem unwilling or unable to read and comprehend the thread, I will quote my response to your initial "context" post.


Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12275150)
Yes I do know the meaning of the word "context" thank you very much. Please show me where, in the context of that post, he came off as racist. As slop101 mentions below, I also have neither the time nor the inclination to read every single thread on here. I personally don't care to follow the various anti police threads here, and took his post at face value, and the apparently racist responses at face value as well.

In the context of that post, again the first response to your "context" post, I say that I do not read these other threads that you speak of. I also ask you again, which you have failed repeatedly to do, to point to the racism in the original quoted post. That has always been the goal post. Just because you are unwilling or unable to read and comprehend that, does not make it a case of "moving the goalposts". Perhaps you need someone to explain to you the meaning of the phrase "moving the goalposts"?

Pharoh 10-20-14 03:03 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I suggest we all read the posting guidelines and stop addressing each other, or other posters.

Thanks.

DaveyJoe 10-20-14 04:25 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://www.briansolis.com/wp-content...M-1024x380.png

arminius 10-20-14 06:57 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
The opposite of protext.

jjcool 10-20-14 09:09 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://blogs.vso.org.uk/wp-content/u...s-300x2402.jpg

Living Dead 10-21-14 12:00 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Just because you don't read someone else's posts doesn't mean that context is not there to be found for those who do. It's simply that you didn't notice it. How can this actually be an argument?

Hokeyboy 10-21-14 12:58 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-con...ent_clinic.png

Baron Of Hell 10-21-14 12:59 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Those guys don't look like cops and they don't seem to be behaving badly.

jjcool 10-21-14 01:10 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Living Dead (Post 12276862)
Just because you don't read someone else's posts doesn't mean that context is not there to be found for those who do. It's simply that you didn't notice it. How can this actually be an argument?

Are you addressing anyone in particular?

Hokeyboy 10-21-14 01:41 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 12276924)
Those guys don't look like cops and they don't seem to be behaving badly.

Yes they are! :mad:

Living Dead 10-21-14 03:51 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12276937)
Are you addressing anyone in particular?

It was kind if a general statement, but I suppose it was you who inspired it. If you're not familiar with the posting history of the user who made the original comment (as you admitted), it could be taken at face value to mean exactly what you thought it meant. You may even be right. But while there isn't any context for you in the post, it just doesn't make sense to refuse to accept that there could be a negative context for others who actually follow him and have read his opinions on the topic many times.

Mikael79 10-21-14 04:08 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Ugh...don't get him started again.

Living Dead 10-21-14 04:59 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Pharoh (Post 12276069)
I suggest we all read the posting guidelines and stop addressing each other, or other posters.

Thanks.

I missed this note when I made my last post. Sorry.

dave-o 10-21-14 10:30 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Mods, please change the name of the thread to "the poster(s) misunderstanding what context means behaving badly thread"...

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 10-22-14 06:35 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Guys you're doing it all wrong. You have to get a press release from Warner Brothers and a notarized statement from Conan O'Brien (in triplicate) for JJ to understand or believe anything.

jjcool 10-22-14 12:10 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Seems there are several people posting in this thread that should actually read the thread before they post.

jjcool 10-22-14 12:16 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Living Dead (Post 12277116)
It was kind if a general statement, but I suppose it was you who inspired it. If you're not familiar with the posting history of the user who made the original comment (as you admitted), it could be taken at face value to mean exactly what you thought it meant. You may even be right. But while there isn't any context for you in the post, it just doesn't make sense to refuse to accept that there could be a negative context for others who actually follow him and have read his opinions on the topic many times.

I never refused to accept that there may be context elsewhere. As I stated in my first reply, and Sean either didnt read or couldn't understand, I hadn't read the other threads, nor did I care to. All I had to go on was what I read in this thread, and what I read here was a relatively innocuous post followed by several replies that seemed very racist. When asked what context he was referring to in this thread, Sean was unable to come up with any, and falsely accused me of "moving the goalposts". That's exactly why I dont venture into the politics forum. Too many posters like that.

dave-o 10-22-14 12:31 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12277877)
Seems there are several people posting in this thread that should actually read the thread before they post.

Oh the irony...

jjcool 10-22-14 12:36 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by dave-o (Post 12277903)
Oh the irony...

Ironic because you haven't actually read the thread.

inri222 10-22-14 12:42 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/21/c...ing-seriously/

Cleburne Mayor Taking Dog Shooting Seriously

CLEBURNE (CBSDFW.COM) - Cleburne Mayor Scott Cain is addressing new concerns about a police officer who is under investigation for the August shooting death of a dog.
Video from the officer’s body camera recently surfaced, and it shows him taking aim and firing at the pit bull three times, killing the animal.
The disturbing video has caused some outrage within the community. The officer has even started receiving death threats on social media, though police have not released his name.
Investigators explained that the officer was called to the scene at Lindsey Lane after two women complained about being trapped in their car by a pack of three snarling dogs.
The officer said that one of the dogs became aggressive. That is what caused him to open fire on the pit bull. The dogs belonged to a neighbor and were loose when the officer arrived.
At a news conference on Tuesday morning, Cain assured the public that the city is taking the situation seriously. Cain stated that he is expanding a review of the shooting and looking at police policy when it comes to handling aggressive animals. The Texas Rangers are also conducting their own investigation into the incident. The officer is now on paid administrative leave.
“The video is very disturbing,” Cain said. “I have a dog that I love as a family pet and it’s a very emotional decision. But we need to ensure that the process is fair both to the officer,
and that all of our citizens and all across North Texas and the country know that we’re going to get to the bottom of the situation and we’re going to be fair in doing that.”

nemein 10-22-14 12:42 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man (Post 12277631)
Guys you're doing it all wrong. You have to get a press release from Warner Brothers and a notarized statement from Conan O'Brien (in triplicate) for JJ to understand or believe anything.

<i>Mod note: Please don't bring non-sequitur comments from other threads, that are only meant to provoke a particular person, into this discussion.

Thanks</i>

Sean O'Hara 10-22-14 01:01 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12277885)
I never refused to accept that there may be context elsewhere. As I stated in my first reply, and Sean either didnt read or couldn't understand, I hadn't read the other threads, nor did I care to. All I had to go on was what I read in this thread, and what I read here was a relatively innocuous post followed by several replies that seemed very racist. When asked what context he was referring to in this thread, Sean was unable to come up with any, and falsely accused me of "moving the goalposts". That's exactly why I dont venture into the politics forum. Too many posters like that.

I provided you context -- post 1578 -- and you dismissed it because it's not from this thread, which is nothing but an artificial restriction you made up. That's moving the goalpost.

inri222 10-22-14 02:12 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Former Ludlow police lieutenant Thomas Foye pleads guilty to drug crimes; sentencing next week

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...ds_guilty.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.