DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

kvrdave 06-25-14 10:29 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

This shit pisses me off.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/24/a_sw..._year_old_son/

After our house burned down in Wisconsin a few months ago, my husband and I packed our four young kids and all our belongings into a gold minivan and drove to my sister-in-law’s place, just outside of Atlanta. On the back windshield, we pasted six stick figures: a dad, a mom, three young girls, and one baby boy.

That minivan was sitting in the front driveway of my sister-in-law’s place the night a SWAT team broke in, looking for a small amount of drugs they thought my husband’s nephew had. Some of my kids’ toys were in the front yard, but the officers claimed they had no way of knowing children might be present. Our whole family was sleeping in the same room, one bed for us, one for the girls, and a crib.

After the SWAT team broke down the door, they threw a flashbang grenade inside. It landed in my son’s crib.

Flashbang grenades were created for soldiers to use during battle. When they explode, the noise is so loud and the flash is so bright that anyone close by is temporarily blinded and deafened. It’s been three weeks since the flashbang exploded next to my sleeping baby, and he’s still covered in burns.

There’s still a hole in his chest that exposes his ribs. At least that’s what I’ve been told; I’m afraid to look.

My husband’s nephew, the one they were looking for, wasn’t there. He doesn’t even live in that house. After breaking down the door, throwing my husband to the ground, and screaming at my children, the officers – armed with M16s – filed through the house like they were playing war. They searched for drugs and never found any.

I heard my baby wailing and asked one of the officers to let me hold him. He screamed at me to sit down and shut up and blocked my view, so I couldn’t see my son. I could see a singed crib. And I could see a pool of blood. The officers yelled at me to calm down and told me my son was fine, that he’d just lost a tooth. It was only hours later when they finally let us drive to the hospital that we found out Bou Bou was in the intensive burn unit and that he’d been placed into a medically induced coma.

For the last three weeks, my husband and I have been sleeping at the hospital. We tell our son that we love him and we’ll never leave him behind. His car seat is still in the minivan, right where it’s always been, and we whisper to him that soon we’ll be taking him home with us.

Every morning, I have to face the reality that my son is fighting for his life. It’s not clear whether he’ll live or die. All of this to find a small amount of drugs?

The only silver lining I can possibly see is that my baby Bou Bou’s story might make us angry enough that we stop accepting brutal SWAT raids as a normal way to fight the “war on drugs.” I know that this has happened to other families, here in Georgia and across the country. I know that SWAT teams are breaking into homes in the middle of the night, more often than not just to serve search warrants in drug cases. I know that too many local cops have stockpiled weapons that were made for soldiers to take to war. And as is usually the case with aggressive policing, I know that people of color and poor people are more likely to be targeted. I know these things because of the American Civil Liberties Union’s new report, and because I’m working with them to push for restraints on the use of SWAT.

A few nights ago, my 8-year-old woke up in the middle of the night screaming, “No, don’t kill him! You’re hurting my brother! Don’t kill him.” How can I ever make that go away? I used to tell my kids that if they were ever in trouble, they should go to the police for help. Now my kids don’t want to go to sleep at night because they’re afraid the cops will kill them or their family. It’s time to remind the cops that they should be serving and protecting our neighborhoods, not waging war on the people in them.

I pray every minute that I’ll get to hear my son’s laugh again, that I’ll get to watch him eat French fries or hear him sing his favorite song from “Frozen.” I’d give anything to watch him chase after his sisters again. I want justice for my baby, and that means making sure no other family ever has to feel this horrible pain.

Update: As of the afternoon of 6/24/2014, Baby Bou Bou has been taken out of the medically induced coma and transferred to a new hospital to begin rehabilitation. The hole in his chest has yet to heal, and doctors are still not able to fully assess lasting brain damage.
Probably an isolated incident and the ACLU are liars for saying this type of thing has ever happened before. Fuck them all.

slop101 06-25-14 11:22 AM

A baby with a hole in his chest is a small price to pay in order to keep people from getting high...

Has that police department commented on that incident at all? I looked around and haven't seen anything. I'm surprised, as it's been long enough where there should be something from someone in charge, the chief, the mayor, someone, but there's nothing yet. Though they might not want to comment, as they'll be not just liable for damages, but could be sued for many millions of dollars. I would love to see some heads roll over this.

Dave99 06-25-14 12:17 PM

In the day or 2 afterwards, the police chief defended the raid and blamed the people in the house essentially, and said they didn't know there were children, so not their fault. Not that you would expect anything else.

slop101 06-25-14 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12149924)
In the day or 2 afterwards, the police chief defended the raid and blamed the people in the house essentially, and said they didn't know there were children, so not their fault. Not that you would expect anything else.

Jesus Christ! That just means they're fucking retarded as all it takes is eyes and some simple cognitive reasoning to see that there were an actual child there. That response makes them even more dumb.

Nausicaa 06-25-14 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12149800)
This shit pisses me off.

Probably an isolated incident and the ACLU are liars for saying this type of thing has ever happened before. Fuck them all.

Read this yesterday. Made me so upset I had to leave the internet for a while. Should be a much bigger story than it is. These no-knock raids are such terrible SOP. Escalating a search warrant into a volatile, dangerous situation right away as a matter of course.

spainlinx0 06-25-14 01:29 PM

Mistakes happen, isolated incident, blah blah blah... Sickening.

inri222 06-25-14 02:00 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1840745

At least 12 correction officers may be in hot water following massive drug sweep at Rikers Island

City investigators launched an unprecedented, two-day operation at the troubled jail complex over the weekend, searching inmates’ cells and pulling aside every correction officer during shift change on Monday afternoon. Two correction officers were arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court early Tuesday after getting caught with cocaine. The sweep comes after a series of violent incidents, sources said.

A dirty dozen city correction officers could find themselves on the perp side of the bars after an unprecedented drug sweep at Rikers Island.

City investigators launched a two-day operation at the troubled jail complex over the weekend, scouring inmates’ cells and searching every correction officer during the shift change on Monday afternoon.

The crackdown by correction officials and the Department of Investigation followed reports of rampant drug smuggling and other misconduct. It resulted in the arrests of at least two correction officers. Sources said that a minimum of 12 cases tied to correction officers and supervisors will be referred to prosecutors for possible criminal charges.

It’s just the latest scandal for the second-largest jail system in America.

“This massive operation was necessitated by information developed during DOI’s ongoing investigation of violence and other illegal conduct on Rikers Island . . . Additional referrals and arrests are anticipated,” Department of Investigation Commissioner Mark Peters and Correction Commissioner Joseph Ponte said in a joint statement.

They called the probe an “unprecedented joint, tactical search.”

Correction Department employees heading in for work were pulled over and checked as they arrived, sources said. All told 100 guards were searched at the George Motchan Detention Center, one of several facilities on the island.

Investigators on Sunday night found what appeared to be marijuana, plus an iPad with a Wi-Fi card and an air deodorizer that masks the smell of marijuana, in an inmate’s cell in the Eric Taylor Center.

Correction officers Devine Rahming and Steven Dominguez were arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court early Tuesday after getting caught with cocaine. Both admitted smuggling contraband into the jail in the past, prosecutors said. The duo, charged with drug possession, were ordered held in protective custody in lieu of $500,000 bond — an extremely high bail. Their cases are being handled by the special narcotics prosecutor’s office.

Spokesmen for Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson and Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara declined to comment.

Monday’s broad-ranging search of both inmates and jail guards at Rikers was conducted by two dozen Department of Investigation probers and a number of city Correction Department employees. More than 75 locations throughout the Motchan Detention Center were searched, including numerous cells and common areas that are used by correction officers, such as locker rooms and lunch rooms.

Rikers has come under increasing criticism after a series of violent inmate-on-inmate and officer-on-inmate incidents.

Jail stabbings have nearly doubled, from 38 in 2011 to 73 last year. There were 46 inmate-on-officer assaults in the first nine months of this fiscal year, compared with 25 during the same period last fiscal year.

A year ago, two guards were arrested and charged with transporting drugs and weapons to maximum-security inmates. In March, four correction officers were charged with lying about the beating of an inmate, while a supervisor was charged with ignoring the pleas of an inmate who’d swallowed a toxic soap ball and later died. In April, a warden was demoted and two officers were disciplined after an inmate died in a 100-degree cell.

Some say the violence is a byproduct of the number of inmates diagnosed with mental illness — about 37% of the jail population.

Norman Seabrook, president of the Correction Officers Benevolent Association, told the Daily News last month he feared someone would die in a jailhouse assault. “It’s happening more frequently, and something has to be done to stop it,” Seabrook said. “If something isn’t done, someone will pay the ultimate price.”

Dave99 06-25-14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12149979)
Jesus Christ! That just means they're fucking retarded as all it takes is eyes and some simple cognitive reasoning to see that there were an actual child there. That response makes them even more dumb.

Ain't no time to be staking out houses, you know how many search warrants they execute with the swat team? Gotta keep things on a tight schedule.

Giantrobo 06-25-14 04:44 PM

So this Cop was arrested for being a Thug Chick.

Crazy Ghetto Ass Cop

Officer Tamika Gross' propensity for fighting has twice been detailed by the Daily News, once in 2009 when she got into a street fight with another woman while she was on duty and once in 2013, when she allegedly brought her 16-year-old suspended daughter back to Lincoln High School to fight a 14-year-old girl over a boy.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...EVhZ6x5V1xB.99

In total, Gross, 35, faces two counts of simple assault, four counts of recklessly endangering another person, four counts of corruption of minors and one count of endangering the welfare of a child, Jamerson said.

"I'm happy that it won't happen to another child, even if she doesn't do jail time at least they're watching her," Haggins-Montgomery said. "My child was not the first, she might not have even been the third."

Internal Affairs documents that were obtained by the Daily News showed that Gross had a history of getting into fights that were documented by the department.

This is the kinda shit that pisses people off and makes them afraid of Cops. Being a Cop helped her avoid serious charges....

When Gross first made the pages of the Daily News in 2009 for brawling with a woman in West Philly <b> while she was on duty, </b>the woman she fought, <b>Lateefah Savage, was charged with assault on a police officer.</b> Savage eventually pleaded guilty to simple assault in the case and received four years' probation.

<b>However, the ramifications for Gross were far less severe. She was placed on desk duty and was disciplined by the department, but a spokeswoman declined to release the nature of that discipline. What is clear is that Gross spent another five years as a police officer before her arrest yesterday.</b>

DVD Polizei 06-25-14 06:34 PM

Tamika Gross needs to find another profession. Boxing or UFC stuff.

Josh-da-man 06-25-14 10:13 PM

This shit pisses me off.

Every one of these FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT COPS, from the ones who invaded the home to the ones who ordered the invasion, should be brought up on every charge possible, convicted, and thrown into the general population of a state prison for the rest of their goddamned lives.

Fucking scum.

slop101 06-25-14 11:34 PM

Here's something that wasn't in kvrdave's article.

But a public official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Washington Post the raid was conducted over a single meth sale of $50.
And as to the police's ridiculous claim that they couldn't tell there were any children at the home

“They had been in this home for about two months. This is a stay-at-home dad who was out in front of the home, playing with the children on a daily basis. Any surveillance that was done would have revealed there was a father with four children who played in that driveway."

And they said this a month ago:

No officers have been suspended, and Staples said he expects the review of the incident -- being conducted by Mountain Judicial Circuit District Attorney Brian Rickman -- to take about a week.
but

[family attorney] Mel Davis said he was concerned that the crime scene hadn't been secured when he went to the house on Monday.
"None of this evidence has been collected," Davis said. "That is what's problematic. You cannot do an investigation without collecting evidence -- without taking the time to go back through and to do a reconstruction of what happened."
David said his investigators found a pin from the flash grenade used to breach the home still lying in the driveway. He said the playpen the boy was lying in was still in the spot it was when the child was injured.
A spokesperson for the family of the injured child said that they don't believe the sheriff's office can objectively investigate its own failure.
Oh, and this ain't the first time these assholes fucked up.

Back in 2009, Jonathan Ayers, a young pastor with no criminal history, was shot and killed during another drug bust by the same unit. In February, a jury awarded Ayers' widow $2.3 million in damages.

Rockmjd23 06-26-14 12:03 AM

Back in 2009, Jonathan Ayers, a young pastor with no criminal history, was shot and killed during another drug bust by the same unit. In February, a jury awarded Ayers' widow $2.3 million in damages.
If you don't want to be really pissed off, don't google any specifics about this case.

EddieMoney 06-26-14 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 12150590)
If you don't want to be really pissed off, don't google any specifics about this case.

Challenge accepted. I am pissed off. Fuck the police, comin' straight from the underground.

RoyalTea 06-26-14 06:55 PM

In Massachusetts, SWAT teams are claiming that they're private companies and as private companies, they don't need to comply with open records laws.

WTF?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-records-laws/

Dave99 06-26-14 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12151443)
In Massachusetts, SWAT teams are claiming that they're private companies and as private companies, they don't need to comply with open records laws.

WTF?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-records-laws/

No you don't understand, this helps them go home safer each night. Handing out statistical data that the ACLU is looking for is almost as dangerous as throwing a rookie officer into gang warzone.

DVD Polizei 06-26-14 07:29 PM

Next, they'll be claiming they are non-profit organizations and their employees don't need to pay taxes. :lol:

The Fed seriously needs to get involved, and rather quickly. I wonder what John Kerry would say about this...

Dave99 06-26-14 07:35 PM

Since they claim they are private organizations, I love how they have apparently just fabricated law enforcement companies out of thin air. I guess that means I can go start my own swat team corporation now. Anybody want in?

DVD Polizei 06-26-14 07:43 PM

Sure, why not. +1

Lt Ripley 06-26-14 07:55 PM

+2. My killer Plott hound wants to join too.

slop101 06-26-14 08:59 PM

These assholes care more about protecting their jobs than protecting the public.

Skyclad01 06-26-14 09:16 PM

Utah man demands police officer be fired for fatally shooting dog in fenced backyard:

Sean Kendall's 2-year-old Weimaraner, Geist, was shot last week as police in Salt Lake City searched for a missing little boy. Kendall wants the officer fired for shooting the 110-pound dog without just cause. The missing child was found 30 minutes later, sleeping at his home.
Full Story Here

Facebook Video of guy after being called at work about his dog

Canis Firebrand 06-26-14 09:31 PM

Sometimes it seems as this is how cops treat dogs whether the dog appears threatening or not.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nt6kKhlX8vU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There has to be other, non-lethal ways, that officers can handle a dog they encounter. Not every dog is aggressive when it simply checks out the intruder in its yard..

inri222 06-26-14 09:38 PM

That's fucked up.

Josh-da-man 06-27-14 01:14 AM

Just for the record, is the same incident I remember reading about a month or so ago, or is lobbing explosives into the baby's room a new thing cops are doing?