Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 04-02-14, 02:01 PM
RIP

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Hips or lips?
Party size!
Old 04-02-14, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I said my sunglasses, NOT my mesh-leather torso tantalizer
For me? Pretty please? I'll just need a big black stick after that.
Old 04-02-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Honbo View Post
Uh huh, sure you're not. Not one of the few good ones, anyway.

Don't mace any peaceful college students today, okay?
Im confused. Its it because he's dense or he dosent know who this is?

Old 04-02-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
For me? Pretty please? I'll just need a big black stick after that.
Paging GiantRobo
Old 04-02-14, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Paging GiantRobo
That transmission... MU-TH-UR's deciphered part of it. It doesn't look like an S.O.S... it looks like a warning.
Old 04-02-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Was this posted?

It was supposed to be a fun family outing to the movies, but Nair Rodriguez's 19-year-old daughter got under her skin. They fought, she said, and she slapped her daughter.

Moments later, police arrived on a domestic dispute call at the Moore, Oklahoma, theater and did not confront Nair Rodriguez but rather her husband, Luis. They took him down, and after the encounter on February 15, he was dead.

Nair Rodriguez accuses officers of brutality. Police say they were following protocol and used no undue force, although three officers have been suspended with pay.

The officer says police received a call about domestic violence before confronting her husband.

It wasn't him, Nair Rodriguez tells him. "I hit my daughter," she says. She wants to know why they have pinned down her husband.

"He refused to give his ID," the officer said. "He got combative."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/ju...t-death-video/
The ME just ruled this a homicide.

"...died from a cardiac arrhythmia brought on by physical restraint after he was handcuffed by Moore police outside the Warren Theatre in February. Medical Examiner spokeswoman Amy Elliot said the death has been classified as a homicide."
Old 04-02-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Like this!

Old 04-02-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Im confused. Its it because he's dense or he dosent know who this is?

It's possible. He didn't know The Big Lebowski.
Old 04-02-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
It's possible. He didn't know The Big Lebowski.
To be fair, The Dude didn't even know the Big Lebowski.

EDIT: I should point out that my name doesn't signify that I'm a major in the police force. It's a David Bowie reference.
Old 04-03-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 359 Likes on 283 Posts

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but maybe the people here with law enforcement experience can answer: How accurate is a show like Cops? Now, I'm well aware that the producers of that show will cherry pick the footage that will paint the LEOs in the best light. But still, there just seems to be a repetitive nature of the arrests and I wonder if it's how it plays in the real world.

I'm talking about things like:
People don't believe they need to stop and answer questions from a police officer, especially if they "aren't doin' nuffin', man" (which is amusing 'cause these clowns are ALWAYS doing or possessing something illegal)
People who are total badasses until they actually get taken down, then suddenly start crying like bitches. "Ow! Ow! You're hurting me, I have a broken arm"
My favorite: People who seem to think the whole thing is a game of cops-and-robbers like we played as kids. As in, they'll lead the police on a long dangerous chase, and when they're finally cornered, they just stop and raise their hands and think the police will say, "OK, come with me now". Nope, they're getting taken down, and HARD. I love the look on their face when they think that just because they've given up they think the cops will give up too. Nope. It's like Chris Rock says: If you make the police come and get you, they're bringing an ass-whoopin with 'em.
Old 04-03-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

There has to be more to this

<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/83986069" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 04-03-14, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Guess he don't like the cornbread, either.
Old 04-03-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 359 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Probably not. There was likely some kind of complaint lodged against the guy which he'll deny. I'm relatively sure the cop didn't just pick the house at random and just harrass the resident because he's black. There's a reason he was there in the first place. Do any of you anti-cop people think the arrestee was cooperating fully with the police? Looks like he's fighting all the way.
Old 04-03-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably a good reason not to open the door unless it's someone you are expecting..
Old 04-04-14, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cops sent out this statement

http://www.jpso.com/PressReleases/Default.aspx

Sounds like the cop was in the wrong to me if everything in that statement is true. He didn't see the guy commit a crime. The crime in question, say bad words out loud, doesn't seem to warrant force entrance into the guy's home. They say they arrested him for resisting arrest which he is clearly doing but they never say why the cop felt the need to force his way into the home. Oh wait it says he smelled weed but he didn't find any and he never said on the video that he smelled weed.
Old 04-04-14, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah. If a cop comes knocking on my door and I'm stupid enough to open it trying to arrest me with no warrant or giving any reason...we're both going to have a very bad day.

Fuck that.
Old 04-04-14, 03:56 AM
Banned

Saying bad words.... Sheeeeeeeeeit.
Old 04-04-14, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey, at least he didn't shoot the dog. Let's give the guy some credit!
Old 04-04-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is outrageous, cops have a cute girl in a bikini already restrained, and they tazer her anyway just for fun!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b53_1396585606

So nobody gets butthurt thinking I'm serious, this is a fundraiser. Might be mildly NSFW, so I didn't embed.

Also, I'd potentially donate if I could tazer a cop.
Old 04-05-14, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Cops sent out this statement

http://www.jpso.com/PressReleases/Default.aspx

Sounds like the cop was in the wrong to me if everything in that statement is true. He didn't see the guy commit a crime. The crime in question, say bad words out loud, doesn't seem to warrant force entrance into the guy's home. They say they arrested him for resisting arrest which he is clearly doing but they never say why the cop felt the need to force his way into the home. Oh wait it says he smelled weed but he didn't find any and he never said on the video that he smelled weed.
According to the statement, the office said he was under arrest for resisting arrest. Can you be arrested for resisting arrest if there is no earlier charge? You can't hear the office say he was under arrest for resisting in the video. the cop didn't hear him cursing or distubing the peace, but still charged him with that.

In this case it would seem easy for anyone to have someone else arrested for no reason just by calling the police and telling them that the other person was cursing at you.

I assume it varies from state to state, but shouldn't they tell you why you're being arrested at the time of the arrest?
Old 04-05-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
According to the statement, the office said he was under arrest for resisting arrest. Can you be arrested for resisting arrest if there is no earlier charge? You can't hear the office say he was under arrest for resisting in the video. the cop didn't hear him cursing or distubing the peace, but still charged him with that.

In this case it would seem easy for anyone to have someone else arrested for no reason just by calling the police and telling them that the other person was cursing at you.

I assume it varies from state to state, but shouldn't they tell you why you're being arrested at the time of the arrest?
I would think in a dangerous situation you would be arrested and then told what you did. Or even in a serious crime like murder you would be arrested first in fear you would run. However, in this case there was no cause for arrest so there was no reason for the cop not to state why he was there. The cop was just being a jerk.
Old 04-08-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man spends 25 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit, as he was a 1000 miles away. He had plane tickets, postcards and videos, but nobody believed him. Police had the key piece of evidence the whole time, a receipt from an orlando hotel just a few hours before the shooting that was taken when the guy was arrested. Not sure if it was ever given to the prosecution, but it certainly wasn't given to the defense. The only eyewitness recanted long ago, as she indicated her testimony was made up to get her out of her own unrelated arrest.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...lling-25-years

This isn't just a police failure, but of the entire judicial system. It's sickening.
Old 04-08-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 539 Likes on 349 Posts

LAPD Officers tampering with In Car Monitoring Systems.

Scary stuff. The stupid part is that these officers forget that that equipment can also save them from being accused of things they didn't do or say.

Full story here

Los Angeles police officers tampered with voice recording equipment in dozens of patrol cars in an effort to avoid being monitored while on duty, according to records and interviews.

An inspection by Los Angeles Police Department investigators found about half of the estimated 80 cars in one South L.A. patrol division were missing antennas, which help capture what officers say in the field. The antennas in at least 10 more cars in nearby divisions had also been removed.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck and other top officials learned of the problem last summer but chose not to investigate which officers were responsible. Rather, the officials issued warnings against continued meddling and put checks in place to account for antennas at the start and end of each patrol shift.

Members of the Police Commission, which oversees the department, were not briefed about the problem until months later. In interviews with The Times, some commissioners said they were alarmed by the officers' attempts to conceal what occurred in the field, as well as the failure of department officials to come forward when the problem first came to light.

"On an issue like this, we need to be brought in right away," commission President Steve Soboroff said. "This equipment is for the protection of the public and of the officers. To have people who don't like the rules to take it upon themselves to do something like this is very troubling."

Beck said there was no deliberate attempt to keep the commission in the dark, saying the failure to alert the board was "unintentional."

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-l...#ixzz2yKMaswLk
Poor recordings during a shooting investigation drew the attention of commission members in February. They were puzzled why several cameras in cars at the scene had poor audio quality, while another had good, clear recordings. Even though the recorded conversations did not seem germane to the incident, the commissioners asked for answers about the problem.

Last month, the department conducted a follow-up audit and found that dozens of the transmitters worn by officers in Southeast Division were missing or damaged.

This time, department officials opted to open a formal investigation into whether officers broke or lost the devices intentionally, Smith said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-l...#ixzz2yKMmI73f
Old 04-08-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was reading about the Dreyfus affair in France. It is amazing that ever when confronted with evidence that is overwhelming some judges will just convict anyway. Considering some of the judges I have seen, they need to be culled every few years.
Old 04-08-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
LAPD Officers tampering with In Car Monitoring Systems.

Scary stuff. The stupid part is that these officers forget that that equipment can also save them from being accused of things they didn't do or say.

Full story here
Shocking! I wonder why in the world they wouldn't want their activities accurately recorded?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.