DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

PenguinJoe 02-27-14 01:07 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Despite negative blood and breath tests, man arrested for DWI

To Austin attorney Daniel Betts, driving while intoxicated can sometimes be what he calls “an opinion crime.” Law enforcement must decide, sometimes within only a matter of minutes, whether a person is intoxicated and should go to jail -- or be allowed to simply drive way.
On the night Austin police arrested his client, they made the wrong choice, he says – his opinion bolstered by a voluntary breath and blood test showing Larry Davis wasn’t intoxicated when he was arrested Jan. 13, 2013. He tested 0.00 on a Breathalyzer – the lowest possible reading -- and the blood test, which took months to be tested, came back negative.
“My reaction was just shock that it happened,” Betts said of the arrest, after watching a police dash cam video and reviewing the evidence.
The arrest meant Davis spent a day in jail, and he was left with a criminal case looming over him for more than a year. Because he was declared indigent at the time, the county picked up his legal fees of a few hundred dollars.
Police stand by their decision to arrest Davis. They contend it is still possible he was intoxicated with a drug, including marijuana, that may not have shown up in the blood test.
Police say the case highlights a judgment call they have to make often; yet defense lawyers, including Betts, say it shows how overzealous Austin police can be in making DWI arrests.
In 2011, we wrote that Travis County has dismissed a higher percentage of drunken driving cases than other major Texas counties -- in part because prosecutors said police filed weak charges or prosecutors allowed suspects plead to other crimes.
At the time, prosecutors cited cases against suspects whose breath test was below the legal limit of 0.08. Police have said, however, that they must abide by a take-no-chances policy in the interest of public safety. Their position: If you look drunk, you will be arrested and the court system will work it out in the future.
That practice typically leads to about 30 percent of DWI cases getting dismissed.
I learned about Davis’ case this month, and it stood out for its numerous red flags.
Police arrested him near U.S. 290 and Interstate 35 after he ran a stop sign, and officers wrote in an arrest affidavit that Davis, who told them he’d had only one drink, appeared intoxicated based on his performance in a field sobriety test.
When they got him to the jail, Davis blew a 0.00 on the breath test.
“I told them I would take a blood sample as well, just to prove that I didn’t have anything in my system,” Davis told me in a recent interview.
That test came back negative, too.
Cmdr. David Mahoney, the arresting officers’ supervisor, said he supports the decision to arrest Davis.
“If there is someone who is possibly impaired, we don’t want them driving,” Mahoney said. “We need to get them off the road, so that was probably (the officer's) mindset.”
Prosecutors last week dismissed the case against Davis.
“I was arrested for nothing, really,” he said. “It was suspicion of drunk driving, which I wasn’t so I was surprised and hurt at the same time.”
Davis is now working to have his arrest record wiped clean, a process that could take several more months.
http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/inv...an-arrested-d/

jjcool 02-27-14 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 12027177)

Since DWI not only applies to alcohol, the BAC being zero doesn't really matter. There are several tests that they do to determine if someone is intoxicated. The telling thing for me is that he ran a stop sign, so they had cause to pull him over. The second telling thing for me is that he failed the field tests. Now he could have failed for any number of reasons, but I see no mention in the article of a medical reason or any other reason for that amtter, being brought up. The blood test should be the most telling, but obviously they can't test for every possible substance this guy could be on. Article mentions he is indigent, so he could have been doing anything under the sun. Bottom line, from the article, he appeared intoxicated to the officers, and he failed the field tests. I dont have a problem with this arrest.
Found this on the Texas dot website that lists the states definition of "intoxicated"
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/di...oxication.html

Quake1028 02-27-14 01:43 PM

Was this posted?

It was supposed to be a fun family outing to the movies, but Nair Rodriguez's 19-year-old daughter got under her skin. They fought, she said, and she slapped her daughter.

Moments later, police arrived on a domestic dispute call at the Moore, Oklahoma, theater and did not confront Nair Rodriguez but rather her husband, Luis. They took him down, and after the encounter on February 15, he was dead.

Nair Rodriguez accuses officers of brutality. Police say they were following protocol and used no undue force, although three officers have been suspended with pay.

The officer says police received a call about domestic violence before confronting her husband.

It wasn't him, Nair Rodriguez tells him. "I hit my daughter," she says. She wants to know why they have pinned down her husband.

"He refused to give his ID," the officer said. "He got combative."
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/ju...t-death-video/

GreenMonkey 02-27-14 02:32 PM

Heard an update on this one on the local radio, can't remember if it was originally posted here or not.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014022...-warren-police

WARREN, MICH. — A woman whose hair was cut by a Warren police officer has reached a settlement with the City of Warren.

Police in November arrested Charda Gregory at a motel, where she was accused of trashing a room.

Police video shows a Warren officer forcibly cutting Gregory’s hair. Some jails remove an inmate’s hair extensions because they could be used as a weapon, but WXYZ-TV reports Gregory didn’t have extensions. The station says her weave was sewn into the braids on her scalp.

According to The Macomb Daily of Mount Clemens, Warren will pay $75,000 to Gregory. She agrees to forever release Warren, the officer and other city employees from any potential claims she may have had.

The officer was fired, and criminal charges against the 22-year-old Gregory were dropped.

inri222 02-27-14 03:36 PM

NJ Cops Indicted After Video They Hid Reveals They Beat Innocent Man & Filed False Charges

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ABOm1NON_yM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fujishig 02-27-14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey (Post 12027700)
Heard an update on this one on the local radio, can't remember if it was originally posted here or not.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014022...-warren-police

Maybe it's because I live in CA, but that seems like a really low amount to settle for, and it came straight from the officer and not the city?

Mr. Salty 02-27-14 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12027818)
Maybe it's because I live in CA, but that seems like a really low amount to settle for, and it came straight from the officer and not the city?

No, it clearly says it came from the city, Warren, Mich.

fujishig 02-27-14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 12027874)
No, it clearly says it came from the city, Warren, Mich.

Ah, you're right.

Cusm 02-27-14 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12027788)
NJ Cops Indicted After Video They Hid Reveals They Beat Innocent Man & Filed False Charges

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ABOm1NON_yM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well he was trying to take his gun. Is this the NJ equivilant of 'it's headed right for us' from Southpark?

And the video from the movie theater is released and it shows the officers on top of the guy, but NO STRIKES of any kind so the family's wine if the police beating him to death look like BS.

Hokeyboy 02-28-14 04:24 PM

Cop manhandles scrotums and violates anuses of a dozen kids under the guise of "searching for drugs", found guilty of 25 counts of assault and sexual assault... and judge gives him only 20 months.

In the meantime, they have not been fired. They are suspended and still receiving paychecks — made possible by Americans who are forced to fund their careers.

Michael Steinle, who is Vagnini’s attorney, claimed that Vagnini just wanted to “stop crime,” but that he simply “didn’t cross all the T’s and dot the I’s.”

According to the complaints, the sexual abuse occurred over a period of two years; the “searches” were done illegally without a warrant and often without gloves.
Those black kids were probably doing something wrong, like not blowing him afterward.

inri222 02-28-14 04:33 PM

They should lock him up in general population I'm sure they'll treat his bitch ass properly. He'll get a daily dose of scrotums and anuses to the chin every day.

Dave99 03-03-14 10:54 AM

Florida police used the stingray cell phone tracker more than 200 times without a search warrant, and never tell judges or attorneys about its use. Reason: they have an non disclosure agreement with the manufacturer. Apparently they believe their civil contract with harris corp overrides the 4th amendment.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/03/stingray/

PenguinJoe 03-08-14 02:36 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I_03tVpIo0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.policymic.com/articles/84...ome-in-america

DVD Polizei 03-08-14 02:51 PM

Bearded Man With Wine Corks In Ears isn't giving much of a explanation of why police arrived. The "punch" to the suspect doesn't leave much to see, either. Of course, we see the punch, but not what happened prior.

PenguinJoe 03-08-14 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12038131)
Bearded Man With Wine Corks In Ears isn't giving much of a explanation of why police arrived. The "punch" to the suspect doesn't leave much to see, either. Of course, we see the punch, but not what happened prior.

So is punching a suspect protocol?

Baron Of Hell 03-09-14 05:01 AM

The police reports states bottles were thrown, pepper spray was used, and fight broke out that they needed to respond to. As the guy points out these things could have happen but not with the guy that was punched. Even if you assume the guy that got punched threw a bottle, sprayed pepper spray or started a fight he clearly didn't have a bottle, didn't have pepper spray or was fighting at the time he was punched.

The police didn't provide anything in their report that justified a punch to the face as response.

dave-o 03-09-14 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12038131)

I thought the docoral student/adjunct professor, who has a research emphasis on police tactics, did a fairly good job of explaining his position actually.

rw2516 03-18-14 05:20 PM

http://kansasexposed.org/2014/03/17/...e-retaliation/

It appears Kansas is trying to make it a felony to file a complaint against the police. Under this bill you are required to sign affidavit when making complaint. After the police department you file complaint against investigates itself and dismisses the claim, you are arrested for perjury (a felony). Bill also outlaws any outside agency from investigating the claim.

PenguinJoe 03-19-14 01:41 AM

Police officer jailed after making up story of being stabbed by 2 black males

A police officer was arrested after making up a story about being ambushed and stabbed by two black males. According to reports by WSB-TV, Clayton County Police Officer Christopher Russo filed a false report with police in McDonough, Ga.

Russo told officers he walked into a burglary in progress at an apartment complex while off duty. He said two men ambushed, punched and peppered sprayed him then cut him with a knife. In the police report, he said the two men sounded like black males.

McDonough police investigated the scene and realized that it was highly unlikely that a burglary took place. After Georgia Bureau of Investigators questioned Russo, he confessed and told them he made the story up and stabbed himself.

Without proper police work, two innocent black males could have been arrested and charged with the assault and stabbing of a police officer.

Russo was arrested on charges of false report of a crime, a misdemeanor and making false statements. He has since been released on bond.

inri222 03-19-14 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 12049175)
Police officer jailed after making up story of being stabbed by 2 black males

Officer arrested after allegedly making up story of being ambushed, stabbed

Article & video

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...ry-bein/nfFds/

Dave99 03-19-14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 12048698)
http://kansasexposed.org/2014/03/17/...e-retaliation/

It appears Kansas is trying to make it a felony to file a complaint against the police. Under this bill you are required to sign affidavit when making complaint. After the police department you file complaint against investigates itself and dismisses the claim, you are arrested for perjury (a felony). Bill also outlaws any outside agency from investigating the claim.

I saw a few articles on that, I can't fathom how any police officer could back that and think it's compatible with our society.

Hopefully it gets buried like it should.

Dave99 03-22-14 04:40 PM

Shooting in new mexico. I don't know if the initial shooting is justified or not. But when the guy is shot 3 times, is motionless on the ground, the screaming "drop the knife" over and over seems kind of weak (note to cops: people who've been shot might not be able to do what you say, because they might be dying). Following up 30 seconds later, after everyone has calmed down, with 3 bean bags from a shotgun from about 10 feet, then releasing the dog on the still motionless man seems just cowardly. Man dies.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=d7b1f1ef9917" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8aa_1395460451

CharlieK 03-24-14 06:41 PM

Here it is:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DngOL6LokN4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And yeah, bean bags and the dog seem a bit much. Even on the video I could hear him say, "I can't move." And is it my imagination, or does the shooter actually say 'Booyah' after he goes down?

Nausicaa 03-24-14 08:44 PM

Ridiculous.

He might also not be able to hear them because they set off a flash bang in his face not 10 seconds earlier, before shooting him half a dozen times. And then they shoot him again with beanbags as he lay motionless, before sicking a dog on him. I guess they brought all that gear, might as well use it.

Shameful.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 03-24-14 09:05 PM

Hes not saying Booyah its the K9 unit saying "fosse/foose" a command in German that means heel.

http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/apd-offic...was-justified/

For those wanting to know more than just being outraged.