DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

JasonF 02-22-14 01:30 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Exclusive: Dashcam video clears NJ man

BLOOMFIELD, NJ (WABC) -- The tale of the police dashcam video has now helped clear a Bloomfield, New Jersey man who faced a multitude of criminal charges, including eluding police and assault.

Investigative Reporter Sarah Wallace obtained the dashcam tapes, and has spoken exclusively with the 30-year old DJ who was looking at years in prison.

It was quite a turnabout, all the criminal charges against Marcus Jeter have been dismissed, and two Bloomfield police officers have been indicted for falsifying reports, and one of them, for assault.

A third pleaded guilty early on to tampering. It's all thanks to those dashcam tapes. It's the video that prosecutors say they never saw when the pursued criminal charges against 30 year-old Marcus Jeter . In the video, his hands were in the air. He was charged with eluding police, resisting arrest and assault. One officer in the video can be seen throwing repeated punches.

Sarah Wallace: "It this tape hadn't surfaced?"
Marcus: "I'd be in jail."

This video was only turned over by Bloomfield police after Jeter's attorney filed a request for records; at the time prosecutors were insistent that Jeter do prison time.

"The first plea was 5 years," said Jeter.

The incident began when cops were called to the Bloomfield home Jeter shares with his girlfriend. No charges were filed and Jeter says he left after briefly talking to officers.

Sarah Wallace: "They say you eluded police."
Jeter: "When they got behind me, I pulled over."
Sarah: "So you weren't trying to escape."
"No." said Jeter.

You can clearly see Jeter pulling over and stopping on the side of the Garden State parkway. The cops pull out guns.

Sarah: "Why didn't you get out of the car?"
Jeter: "Because I was afraid."
Jeter: "There was a cop on my right with a gun, a cop on the other side with a shotgun."
Jeter:"I'm afraid I might get shot."
Sarah: "If you got out."

The tape not initially turned over shows a second police car coming from the opposite direction, crossing the median into ongoing traffic, and then striking Jeter's car. There is no mention of that in any police report. When Jeter first told his attorney that part of the story.

"It was incredible, I didn't believe it at that point in time," he said. He adds, "The next thing I know, one of them busts the door and there is glass all over my face."

SARAH: "Your hands are up."
Jeter: "My hands are up."
Jeter: "As soon as they opened the door, one officer reached in an punched me in my face." He adds, "As he's trying to take off my seatbelt, I'm thinking something is going to go wrong."

Jeter says the officers were hitting him and telling him not to resist arrest. "All I keep saying is I'm not doing anything," he adds. "They handcuffed me and one of them hits me in the back." The attorney for Jeter says while showing Eyewitness News the video, "Here a state trooper arrives on the scene and clearly wants no participation in it and that's where one of the officers punch Mr. Jeter in the head after he was clearly placed in handcuffs," said Steven Brown.

As soon as Prosecutors saw this video, they dismissed all of the charges against Jeter. Interesting to note, an investigation by Bloomfield PD's scandal plagued internal affairs division had found no wrongdoing by officers.

Brown says, "I believe the blame is with the Bloomfield police department for not providing that tape. If we hadn't had the tapes in this case, an innocent man would be in jail today."
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...rs&id=9440401#

There's video at the link, but it won't embed.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that every police officer should not be required to be wearing a camera at all times when on duty. Any interruption in the recording should give rise to a rebuttable presumption that the officer has tampered with his camera, and the officer should face harsh discipline at a minimum (firing absent extenuating circumstances) and potentially criminal prosecution.

crazyronin 02-22-14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12021578)

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that every police officer should not be required to be wearing a camera at all times when on duty. Any interruption in the recording should give rise to a rebuttable presumption that the officer has tampered with his camera, and the officer should face harsh discipline at a minimum (firing absent extenuating circumstances) and potentially criminal prosecution.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/...ps956d9e24.jpg

PenguinJoe 02-22-14 03:00 PM

Another deaf man was beaten by cops in California.

Cops in California needlessly tasered a deaf man to the ground and then beat him into unconsciousness, a new lawsuit claims.
Jonathan Meister alleges officers discharged the electric charge into his body after mistaking his attempts to communicate via sign language as aggressive hand signals.
He claims four cops arrived at his friend's house in Hawthorne the day before Valentine's Day in 2013 after receiving reports of a burglary.

Neighbors had mistakenly believed Meister was breaking into a house when he was picking up boxes from a friend's home.

Meister "was removing his own property from the backyard of a friend's home, with the friend's consent" when he was initially confronted by two cops, according to the lawsuit.
"They ended up grabbing his arms and turning him around, and if you do that to a deaf person, it's like gagging them," his lawyer John Burton told the Daily News on Tuesday. "It would be like if I put my hand over your mouth if you try to tell me something."
Meister reflexively pulled his arms away and jumped over a small fence to create space so he could better communicate, Burton said, but Officers Jeffrey Salmon and Jeffrey Tysl apparently took that as an act of aggression.

Meister was initially charged with assaulting police officers, but those charges were dropped.

Salmon and Tysl were joined by Officers Erica Bristow and Mark Hultgren, who all ganged up on Meister, his lawyer claims.
"The officers either failed to recognize that Mr. Meister is deaf, cannot hear, and/or failed to take into account that he communicates primarily using American Sign Language," the lawsuit charges.
According to the suit, the cops "shot taser darts into Mr. Meister, administered a number of painful electric shocks, struck him with fists and feet, and forcibly took him to the ground. The officers then arrested Mr. Meister allegedly for assaulting them."

One of the officers executed a carotid chokehold, Burton said, briefly knocking Meister out. Authorities took him to a hospital where he was charged with assaulting police officers.
That charge, however, was dropped and the Hawthorne Police Department is now facing a lawsuit for violating Meister's civil rights.
The Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness filed the lawsuit on behalf of Meister. It was filed on Feb. 13, exactly one year after the incident.

The cops accused of beating and tasering Meister are from the Hawthorne Police Department.

"The arresting officers either did not have or did not choose to apply common sense to handle a non-threatening situation that could have been resolved in a few minutes," Meister said in a statement.
Officers Salmon, Tysl, Bristow and Hultgren and Hawthorne Police Chief Robert Fager are all named in the lawsuit.
A Hawthorne Police Department spokesman told NBC that its officers were "trained to deal with incidents where communication, for various reasons, can sometimes be difficult."
"Officers make every effort to communicate effectively and bring every one of these incidents to a peaceful resolution," he added.
Meister, who has a Master's degree in architecture, had never been arrested before the incident. And what happened to him was completely unnecessary, his lawyer says.
"There frequently are incidents where police are using force where they are misinterpreting conduct that's a product of a disability," Burton said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2u5R0iNvJ

DaveyJoe 02-22-14 03:49 PM

Jesus, white people aren't even safe anymore.

Dave99 02-22-14 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12021578)

Absolutely. And police should be on board with this, because it should protect them against false complaints far more often than it would be used against them. (assuming the statistics of police misconduct are few and far apart are true)

DVD Polizei 02-22-14 05:02 PM

Why doesn't every American be required to wear a camera.

"They ended up grabbing his arms and turning him around, and if you do that to a deaf person, it's like gagging them,"
That's not funny, Lawyer Man.

Chrisedge 02-22-14 05:42 PM

The cop shooting the dog, deserves to be shot. While it was barking, it was backing up every time the cop got closer. He was never in any danger and is more of a pussy than anyone.

JasonF 02-22-14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12021717)
Why doesn't every American be required to wear a camera.

Because "every American" isn't an armed agent of the state, given power to arrest people. And because "every American," when accused of wrongdoing, isn't investigated by his comrades who, not surprisingly, tend to give the accused a benefit of the doubt that "every American" could only dream of receiving.

Dave99 02-22-14 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12021757)
Because "every American" isn't an armed agent of the state, given power to arrest people. And because "every American," when accused of wrongdoing, isn't investigated by his comrades who, not surprisingly, tend to give the accused a benefit of the doubt that "every American" could only dream of receiving.

don't engage him, he just trolls this thread.

Dave99 02-22-14 07:21 PM

Parked car assaults cop car going wrong way down a 1 way street. Driver arrested. Cops miss security cam that recorded the incident.
http://nypost.com/2014/02/21/cops-hi...er-it-up-suit/

DVD Polizei 02-22-14 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12021757)

How many armed Americans are there in the US versus sworn police officers, and how many people are shot and killed needlessly, not even taking into account weapons such as baseball bats, knives, and even cars.

Hek, if GZ and Trayvon had cameras on them, we'd know what happened.

PenguinJoe 02-22-14 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 12021743)
The cop shooting the dog, deserves to be shot. While it was barking, it was backing up every time the cop got closer. He was never in any danger and is more of a pussy than anyone.

Don't cities have animal control units for stuff specifically like this? Contain the animal find the owner, cite them. That's how it was when I was in Chicago but they'll give tickets for anything, so pulling a firearm on an animal unless it's a case when the animal is specifically being told to attack by the owner seems excessive. Animal control should have handled this at the start and why the cop didn't call them is ridiculous.

Pharoh 02-22-14 09:40 PM

Moved the GZ/Trayvon posts to the appropriate thread.

DeputyDave 02-23-14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12021688)
Absolutely. And police should be on board with this, because it should protect them against false complaints far more often than it would be used against them. (assuming the statistics of police misconduct are few and far apart are true)

I agree 100% with this. The only thing that bothers me about civilians recording police is that it can be edited and taken out of context for maximum anti-police outrage.

DaveyJoe 02-23-14 11:42 PM

http://i.imgur.com/FjdnnjM.gif

JasonF 02-24-14 12:46 AM

Judging from the Cyrilic lettering on his vest, I'm guessing that's not a U.S. police officer.

DaveyJoe 02-24-14 01:08 AM

Are you sure??

nemein 02-24-14 05:37 AM

Here's the whole thing... don't speak Russian so no idea what the narrator is saying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOj0dkl8MMA

smg669 02-24-14 08:31 AM

Two Brooklyn cops sideswiped a parked SUV, then arrested a man sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicle, accusing him of damaging their car, a suit charges.
And the officers would have gotten away with their lie — had the whole bizarre drama not been caught by a security camera.
Robert Jackson, 31, told The Post his nightmare began when a police car heading the wrong way on one-way Watkins Street in Brownsville scraped against a parked Ford Explorer, which belongs to his girlfriend.
Jackson, a maintenance worker, said he was sitting in the legally parked car outside of his apartment when the accident happened. He got out of the vehicle and walked up to the officers.
“I was smiling, like, ‘How’d you run into me?’ ” he recalled. “Then the cop said, ‘Dude, you ran into me.’ ”
“I just wanted them to fix the damage and apologize, but it didn’t turn out that way,” Jackson said. “They were trying to cover it up.”
http://nypost.com/2014/02/21/cops-hi...er-it-up-suit/

inri222 02-24-14 09:11 AM

^^^

I wonder how many incidents like these occur that we don't hear about?

fujishig 02-24-14 12:35 PM

So how much proof is needed to backup a claim of "assaulting a police officer?" Geez.

Baron Of Hell 02-25-14 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12023690)
So how much proof is needed to backup a claim of "assaulting a police officer?" Geez.

Apparently none.

Dave99 02-25-14 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 12024596)
Apparently none.

According to this recording of a DA in texas, you are correct. It's long, the guy who filmed it is kind of a dbag, but so are the cops involved who ticketed him. Cops are the first half or so, the 2nd half is meeting with the DA who eventually dismisses the charges. The "advice" the DA gives him at the end spells out how it could have gone if there wasn't video evidence. And it is infuriating.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/emmoJvpSGyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

inri222 02-25-14 11:39 AM

Good video and also very upsetting. These video & audio recordings are important because then it is your word against theirs and guess who gets preference?
It is scary how these cops can just trump up charges against civilians when they do not get their way.

Note to self :

Stay away from West Texas.

spainlinx0 02-25-14 11:39 AM

All these videos make me seriously think about spending the money on some GoPros to put in my car.