DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

PenguinJoe 02-13-14 08:01 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Cop Breaks 10-Year-Old’s Leg Then Sexually Assaults His Mom Claims Lawsuit

Court documents claim officers of the NYPD’s 63rd Precinct came to Krystle Silvera’s home looking for an ex-boyfriend at 7 a.m. on Jan. 30, 2013.

Silvera’s mother, a 61-year-old lung and brain cancer patient, answered the door, but couldn’t understand why the officers were there. That is when Silvera’s 10-year-old son picked up his moms phone and attempted to record the events taking place as he was “fascinated by the police, he looks up to them”, according to his mom Krystle Silvera.

The events alleged in court documents to have followed are extremely ominous. The officer, in violation of established case law, attempted to violate the child’s right to film by assaulting him according to the suit. Ms. Silvera is quoted by NY Daily News as saying, “I heard my son screaming, ‘You can’t do that! You’re hurting me! Don’t hit me!’ ”

According to court papers the cop kicked the boy in the shin breaking his leg. Her son was then put in handcuffs and restrained until they later realized he was only a child and removed the 10-year-old’s restraints.

It was during this commotion that Ms. Silvera, who had been getting her 5-year-old ready for school upstairs, ran downstairs dressed only in underclothes and into the commotion attempting to ensure her son was safe. The suit alleges Ms. Silvera, was grabbed by a cop who pulled her outside into the bitter cold. While putting her into restraints her breast came out exposing a nipple piercing.

“The officer flicked the piercing, he flicked the ring up with his finger on my right breast,” she said. “He said, ‘Is this what mothers look like these days?’

Then, in a common police tactic employed to cover up violations of individual’s rights, the police charged Silvera with assaulting the cops. She was released on $1,500 bail after being held for two days.

Read more: http://benswann.com/cops-break-10-ye...#ixzz2tG2pjdBZ
Follow us: @BenSwann_ on Twitter

PenguinJoe 02-13-14 08:06 PM

Cop Shoots & Kills Service Dog During Child’s Birthday Party

A 9-year-old Idaho boy did not expect to lose his family pet while he was celebrating his birthday at his family’s home — but that’s just what happened.

On Saturday at around 5:30 PM, Officer Tarek Hassani of he Filer Police Department shot and killed a service dog that belonged to the boy’s father.

Hassani showed up on the scene after receiving a complaint of a dogs on the loose. As he walked towards the family home, barking dogs approached him — Hassani kicked at the dogs and pointed his gun at them. He then shot the black lab named “Hooch.”

Watch the moments leading up to the incident (WARNING: GRAPHIC FOOTAGE):

<iframe src="http://videos.benswann.com/embed/player/?content=7GF4ZJ2CWPK0X02T&content_type=content_item&layout=&playlist_cid=&widget_type_cid=svp&read_m ore=1" width="594" height="364" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Mabuse 02-14-14 09:37 AM

A service dog wouldn't behave like that.

Baron Of Hell 02-14-14 10:31 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

covenant 02-14-14 10:44 AM

Dog running at large, obviously aggressive, about to bite? Blame the owners not the cop.
Maybe next time the Bumpuses will keep their dogs inside.

jjcool 02-14-14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12003782)
You see. that is why I pay so little attention to these news stories. I have been involved with three incidents where officer conduct was reported on the news. Every time the reporting has been so wildly inaccurate it bares little resemblance to the truth.

The truth here is that 3 engines responded to the accident, when they parked they completely blocked the entire North bound lanes for the 805 highway (a major highway in San Diego). Once the initial care was given the CHP (who by policy is in charge of the entire scene) asked the engines to move to the side to open a lane to allow traffic to pass. Two complied and one refused. The officer and the fire personnel argued and egos clashed. I have no idea what was actually said or why the fireman refused to move his engine but he was NOT involved in any care or lifesaving duties. The CHP officer detained the fireman for less than 30 minutes in the back of a car while his engine was moved and traffic flow restored.

Maybe the CHP officer (who, yes, in my mind can be very dickish) could have handled it better but it is certainly not the way it is being reported. Not as bad as some of the outlandish crap I've seen the media pull though.

It just seems like the same cop bullshit that gets pulled every once in a while at these types of incidents. Your tale is vastly different than every other depiction of the event I have read. Regardless of that fact, it was very stupid of the officer to handcuff and imprison, however briefly, the firefighter in front of the press. Seems like the cops in this situation ere only interested in getting traffic flowing again before the accident was handled. Perhaps the cop would have had better luck had he followed proper protocol, and went to the guy that gives the firefighter his orders. Of course I can't find a source right now, but I seem to remember a couple of years ago when a similar situation occurred there was some mention of a federal statute giving overall command at incidents like this to the fire department rather than the cops. Of course that could be a figment of someones imagination.

EddieMoney 02-14-14 02:32 PM

I hate seeing animals get shot. But that cop did the right thing. That dog had to have its life claimed. Its furry ass deserved to be capped.

arminius 02-14-14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12011918)
A service dog wouldn't behave like that.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 12011971)
I was thinking the same thing.

It was in satans service.

crazyronin 02-14-14 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 12012438)
It was in satans service.

A Canine In Satan's Service? I didn't watch the video. Was it wearing black and white face paint and wiggling its extra long tongue?

DeputyDave 02-15-14 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12012399)
It just seems like the same cop bullshit that gets pulled every once in a while at these types of incidents. Your tale is vastly different than every other depiction of the event I have read. Regardless of that fact, it was very stupid of the officer to handcuff and imprison, however briefly, the firefighter in front of the press. Seems like the cops in this situation ere only interested in getting traffic flowing again before the accident was handled. Perhaps the cop would have had better luck had he followed proper protocol, and went to the guy that gives the firefighter his orders. Of course I can't find a source right now, but I seem to remember a couple of years ago when a similar situation occurred there was some mention of a federal statute giving overall command at incidents like this to the fire department rather than the cops. Of course that could be a figment of someones imagination.

In this case state statutes give the CHP control. I'm not saying the guy wasn't being a bit of an asshole and could have handled it better, just that the media stories sometimes are wildly inaccurate.

PenguinJoe 02-16-14 02:34 PM

That dog was on the owners private property, don't most dogs bark or become alarmed when someone is on their territory?

jjcool 02-16-14 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12013578)
In this case state statutes give the CHP control. I'm not saying the guy wasn't being a bit of an asshole and could have handled it better, just that the media stories sometimes are wildly inaccurate.

I don't disagree that the media stories can be sometimes wildly inaccurate. In this instance, I don't believe they were inaccurate.

mndtrp 02-17-14 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 12014313)
That dog was on the owners private property, don't most dogs bark or become alarmed when someone is on their territory?

The cop wasn't even on the property yet, and the dogs were all over his nuts. Seeing as how the police were called because of dogs on the loose, I'm going to go with the dogs weren't staying on the property.

Canis Firebrand 02-17-14 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead (Post 12004081)
I have a feeling the cop is going to make this neighbor's life a living hell just because he can.

I would assume any of the cops friends on the force as well.... Anytime the neighbor is driving, he'll probably be watched closely and pulled over for any minor thing that might otherwise normally be overlooked. If I was the neighbor, I'd make sure that all my lights on the vehicle were working properly and I'd not go even a mile above any posted speed limit. Plus, ensuring that the house and yard are maintained so the cop neighbor can't call the city enforcement office on him.

Dave99 02-17-14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand (Post 12015119)
I would assume any of the cops friends on the force as well.... Anytime the neighbor is driving, he'll probably be watched closely and pulled over for any minor thing that might otherwise normally be overlooked. If I was the neighbor, I'd make sure that all my lights on the vehicle were working properly and I'd not go even a mile above any posted speed limit. Plus, ensuring that the house and yard are maintained so the cop neighbor can't call the city enforcement office on him.

Ridiculous to think they would be vindictive like that. Maybe 1 or 2 bad apples, but certainly not say 88 officers from 25 different agencies accessing private information, or parking outside a complainants house (note, the complainant was also a cop):
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...speeding.shtml

or like this recent story where 2 members of city council voted against a police union contract in november, and coincidentally 128 parking tickets were issued in their districts the following night, versus 9 for the rest of the town. In fact, the 128 is more than september and october combined for the entire city. Police union says it is "outlandish" to think this was retribution.
http://www.providencejournal.com/bre...oincidence.ece

Hokeyboy 02-17-14 02:05 PM

There is no Blue Wall of Silence. It's a myth concocted by the liberal media.

There also aren't any ticket quotas either.

PenguinJoe 02-18-14 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12015201)

Bullshit.

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — If you've ever gotten a traffic ticket, you know the sinking feeling you get when police lights pop into your rear view mirror. But what if you found out that citation could be tied to a police department ticket quota or prize contests?

A series of Cottonwood Heights Police Department emails from 2011 and 2012 have recently been revealed and they discuss such quotas and contests.

Some of the emails show police administration offering prizes to officers for writing citations like "free car wash coupons for the next officer to impound vehicles that have no insurance."

In another email, a contest announced a prize of gift cards to the officers who caught anyone tagging or spray painting graffiti.

One Cottonwood Heights resident said he doesn't like the idea of contests for citations.

"That doesn't make sense at all. They should just do their job, that's what they get paid for," Kevin Corkrey said.

Another resident, Shelley Croft, said, "I would like to think that police officers could appropriately manage public safety without having a specific number of people they had to pull over."

In 2011, the Cottonwood Heights chief of police sent an email ordering sergeants to monitor officers who are way below the "norm" when it comes to writing traffic citations, calling it insubordination, and promising to "send the love on down."

It opens the door for a challenge that should not be there. This is their job; they should be doing their job. But when you incentivize them, you're going to get more questionable stops.
–Neal Hamilton, Utah Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
In one email, a police supervisor suggested disciplinary action may be in order for officers not issuing enough tickets. The email states, "You should have written 36 or 12 per month — you have exactly one day to write 15 citations."

President of the Utah Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys Neal Hamilton said the practice sounds a lot like a ticket quota and a way to collect more and more fines.

"When there is this much focus put on something, and you have this much attention being brought to it, then I think it's very hard to not reach that conclusion," Hamilton said.

The Cottonwood Heights chief of police said during a phone interview that officers do not have a ticket quota, but rather a performance standard of three tickets per week to help measure the officers' productivity.

He added the department awards gift cards and other prizes, like shirts and mugs, when an officer goes above and beyond the call of duty and during special public safety campaigns, such as issuing tickets for failing to wear a seat belts or DUIs.

Rewarding officers for going above and beyond is one thing, Hamilton said, but competing to issue the next citation is another.

"From a defense attorney point of view, it opens the door for a challenge that should not be there," Hamilton said. "This is their job; they should be doing their job. But when you incentivize them, you're going to get more questionable stops."

Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2737...PZtvA5fbxlP.99

inri222 02-18-14 12:49 PM

http://italoamericano.com/sites/defa...?itok=vwIPxh7S

van der graaf 02-18-14 12:52 PM

Considering the "liberal media" is a myth, I am not sure how a myth can make up another myth...

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 02-18-14 06:59 PM

zooooooooom!

arminius 02-19-14 07:21 AM

Yeah, they sure don't need to duck.

smg669 02-19-14 08:53 AM

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...er-hand/ndSrL/

Maybe the kid wasn't using the supplied wrist strap. Without that, the WiiMote can go flying from the player's hand and cause injury (or damage your television screen). Justified.

emanon 02-19-14 09:38 AM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.c...ii-gun-mod.jpg

Hokeyboy 02-19-14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 12016336)
Bullshit.

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12016371)
Considering the "liberal media" is a myth, I am not sure how a myth can make up another myth...

Oy vey iz mir... :(

dan30oly 02-19-14 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by emanon (Post 12017408)

Seriously?

How is that allowed when I can't legally sell my dead-mint in box never been played with 1984 Transformers Megatron without putting a
fucking orange cap on the barrel???