DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

van der graaf 01-14-14 02:40 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 11976476)
And this would be the biggest news story in the country if one thing was changed about the victim...;)

Don't really understand your point...Are you saying there has not been a well documented history of unjust police violence against African Americans in different cities throughout the USA? If the answer is yes, then him being a black man would add a layer to this story that would justly garner more attention. The fact that this man was not black does not diminish that history, it just does not fit a pattern that would garner the media/community attention of a legacy of police abuse of black people in this country. Either way, it is horrible, and, as Giantrobo has pointed out, it is (and has been) getting a lot attention here in SoCal....

fujishig 01-14-14 03:52 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 11976512)
Saw some pics too. Wow, can't see how they didn't come out of there with at least a guilty involuntary manslaughter verdict.

Or at the very least excessive use of force? And it was decided really quickly too.

I mean, I realize they had come to the conclusion that the guy had Incredible Hulk levels of strength because of drugs or something, but still.

Bronkster 01-14-14 04:05 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
But he didn't have any drugs in his system, per the tox report.

Giantrobo 01-14-14 04:29 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11977467)
Or at the very least excessive use of force? And it was decided really quickly too.

I mean, I realize they had come to the conclusion that the guy had Incredible Hulk levels of strength because of drugs or something, but still.

Like Bronkster said, No drugs in his system according to the report.

Also, they KNEW him. From what I understand they dealt with him many times and he had not been violent. Kelly was well known in that area.

BTW, I believe Kelly's Father is a retired Sheriff....so this must be very strange.

The thing that people have a hard time understanding, and this is something minorities have tried get an answer to for YEARS....at what point does a Citizen have a right to defend themselves when Cops go over the line?

When Kelly became fearful of his life because the one cop put his gloves on and told him he is going to fuck him up....did Kelly then have a right to defend himself? Or are we just punching bags at the mercy of BAD Cops? Everyone wants the Cops to go home safely, we all do. But why doesn't that apply to Citizens? Why don't they have the right to be fearful of their lives?


I DO NOT BELIEVE THESE COPS WERE OUT TO KILL ANYONE...However, I do believe 1 or 2 in the group were certainly thinking that beating the shit out of a homeless guy was a "Freebee".

inri222 01-14-14 04:39 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 11977529)
Or are we just punching bags as the mercy of BAD Cops?

What are you some kind of troublemaker? Do not question authority figures, they know what's best for us. Whether they are bashing our skulls in with batons or probing our anuses New Mexico style for narcotics. :sarcasm:

fujishig 01-14-14 04:53 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Yeah, I know there were no drugs in his system, and also that the coroners office determined that he died due to the "non-excessive" force and having a huge guy sit on his chest. But what other explanation is there for what the jury decided, except that they disregarded the coroner's findings and perhaps some of the other facts of the case.

I mean, the defense says the video HELPED them get the verdict:


They said the video showed officers who were following their training, not out of control.

Without the video, "we would've heard some screaming and crying, but never have seen what happened," said Michael Schwartz, Cicinelli's attorney. "Which was a very measured reaction with police officers trying to control a suspect."

As the verdicts were coming down, Schwartz quietly and repeatedly said "Thank God." Seconds later, when Cicinelli was found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter and excessive force under the color of authority, he tightly embraced him.

"The video, in my eyes, is what helped the most," Schwartz said.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0...#ixzz2qPrMXCwL

Giantrobo 01-14-14 05:25 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11977557)
Yeah, I know there were no drugs in his system, and also that the coroners office determined that he died due to the "non-excessive" force and having a huge guy sit on his chest. But what other explanation is there for what the jury decided, except that they disregarded the coroner's findings and perhaps some of the other facts of the case.

<b>I mean, the defense says the video HELPED them get the verdict:</b>


http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0...#ixzz2qPrMXCwL


Lawyer and Radio Host Leo Terrell said on Bryan Suits show that the Prosecution may have used the video too much. He was IN trial for most of it and he says the Jury seemed to not be affected by the video after a few views.

Defense Attorney Leo Terrell Answers Your Questions on Thomas Verdict

Read more: http://www.myfoxla.com/story/24440450/defense-attorney-leo-terrell-answers-your-facebooktwitter-questions-on-thomas-verdict#ixzz2qPzlRaP0

Rockmjd23 01-14-14 06:20 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 11977353)
Don't really understand your point...

Evidently ;)

Rockmjd23 01-14-14 06:22 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 11977529)
The thing that people have a hard time understanding, and this is something minorities have tried get an answer to for YEARS....at what point does a Citizen have a right to defend themselves when Cops go over the line?

There may be a legal right to defend oneself, but it doesn't really matter if the cop can just pull out his gun and shoot you and then claim "waaahh, I was afraid for my life!"

JasonF 01-14-14 06:30 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Meanwhile in North Carolina:


NEW DETAILS: State group defends officers' actions in teen shooting death
Posted: Jan 05, 2014 12:51 PM CST Updated: Jan 11, 2014 5:21 PM CST

BOILING SPRING LAKES, NC (WECT) – For the first time since an officer shot and killed a teenager in Boiling Spring Lakes over the weekend, we are getting the perspective from the officers' point of view. The information comes from the North Carolina Police Benevolent Association, which is representing two of the officers.

The NCPBA says it has assigned local counsel for both Boiling Spring Lakes Officer John Thomas and Detective Bryon Vassey from the Southport Police Department after Sunday's incident. Vassey is currently on paid administrative leave with Southport.

On Sunday, Keith Vidal's parents called police for help after they say the 18-year-old was suffering from a schizophrenic episode and was carrying a screwdriver in his hand. At the scene, Vidal's stepfather Mark Wilsey said an officer shot and killed his son after a confrontation at their home on President Drive.

What happened

District Attorney Jon David has not named the three officers involved in the incident, because he said it is part of an ongoing State Bureau of Investigation query that he and other agencies requested.

David would not release any details about the investigation, but a Brunswick County event report she more light. According to the report, the first unit on scene was a Boiling Spring Lakes officer who arrived at 12:34 p.m. He was joined shortly after by two additional BSL officers and a Brunswick County Sheriff's Deputy.

The first unit on scene reported a confrontation in the hallway, but told Brunswick County Dispatchers several times that everything was OK.

Unit 104 from Southport arrived on the scene at 12:48:41, fourteen minutes after the first officer had already been on scene.

Seventy seconds later, Unit 104 radioed out that he had to fire shots at the subject in order to defend himself.

Law enforcement and the attorney for one of the officers have refused to comment on what took place to date, but the Police Benevolent Association described the activities Wednesday.

A release from the PBA says Officer Thomas was first to the scene. They say Vidal failed to comply with repeated requests to drop his weapon, so officers tased him. The PBA says after being tased, Vidal "made physical contact with Officer Thomas using the hand holding the deadly weapon."

The PBA release said the officers realized there was an immediate threat on Officer Thomas' life, so Detective Vassey "employed authorized law enforcement action to stop the continuing threat of deadly harm to Officer Thomas and others."

The PBA calls this investigation a routine protocol.

What the family is saying

The event report mirrors what family members told the media.

Wilsey said his family called the police to help with his son who has schizophrenia and had a small screwdriver in his hand. Officers used a Taser on Vidal and then shot him, according to Wilsey.

Wilsey said officers had his son down on the ground after the teen was tased a few times and an officer said, "we don't have time for this." That's when Wilsey says the officer shot in between the officers holding the teen down, killing his son.

"There was no reason to shoot this kid," Wilsey said. "They killed my son in cold blood. We called for help and they killed my son."

The family said police shot Vidal because he had the screwdriver in his hand. They said it was a tiny screwdriver, though, that would not have hurt anyone.

Both parents said they had to watch their son die in front of them. They said Vidal had just turned 18 years old and only weighed about 90 pounds.

Vidal's mother, also at the scene, said she could not understand what happened.

"Where is the justice, why did they shoot my son?," she asked. "This is what's wrong with our mental health system."

According to David, investigators responded to the scene immediately and began working as a team to start gathering evidence. The district attorney said investigations area a search for the truth, and he's confident that everyone involved will find the truth.

The family said they recently lost their daughter in a car accident and this is the second child they will have to bury.

Neighbors said Vidal played with their children and he never was violent. They said he had a history of depression and schizophrenia, but he was never harmful to others.

Vidal's mother said she had tried multiple times to get Vidal help for his mental illness. Emergency services treated her for a breakdown at the scene.

Vidal was a student at South Brunswick High School. According to a spokesperson for the school, a crisis team was at the high school Monday to offer support for students and staff.

The District Attorney's Office held a news conference Monday afternoon to discuss the incident. The family said they were not invited to the press conference, but showed up anyway with signs, pictures and posters hoping for justice for their lost loved one.

Southport

According to Southport Police Chief Jerry Dove, Detective Vassey was placed on leave in connection to his involvement in the shooting, though Dove would not confirm if Vassey was the one who pulled the trigger.

Vassey has been employed at the Southport Police Department since December 2004. This is the first time he's been placed on administrative leave.

Brunswick County

According to Brunswick County Sheriff John Ingram, an internal investigation of the deputy who was assisting during the incident shows she did not discharge her firearm.

Ingram said the investigation determined Deputy Samantha Lewis "did not discharge her firearm during the incident, but did engage her Taser."

"Our Office of Professional Standards determined her actions to be appropriate, within policy and was not in violation of any NC laws," said Ingram. "Details of the circumstances that lead Dep. Lewis to utilize her taser will be forthcoming as the investigation progresses."

Lewis was cleared to return to active duty.

"I would like the family of Keith Vidal to know that they are in our thoughts and prayers," said Ingram. "I am a parent, as are many of the men and women who serve at the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office, and I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child under any circumstances."

Boiling Spring Lakes

The Boiling Spring Lakes Police Chief has cleared his officers of any wrong doing at the scene. Chief Brad Shirley says an internal review shows his officers did not break any laws. They responded to help Vidal's family, during what they called a schizophrenic episode.

Vidal's family has hired a team of lawyers. They're calling the investigation a "cover-up" by law enforcement and the District Attorney's Office.

Attorney James Payne represents the alleged shooter in this investigation. Payne would not go into detail about what happened or even name his client, but maintains that his client didn't do anything wrong.

"We have full faith and confidence in all agencies involved," said James Payne. "To say it's a cover up is saying that these men and women lack integrity and that's not true."

Payne invited WECT.com to his office on Tuesday, promising a "different perspective" on what happened that day. However, he refused to go into specifics about the case.

"Law enforcement officers are called to many scenes and many things can happen in a split second that are totally unexpected," said Payne. "So, one should not be hung up on a certain period of time to draw conclusions from that."
http://www.wect.com/story/24367610/l...-investigation

slop101 01-14-14 07:03 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Should we post stuff about former cops killing people?

Though to be fair, he shot a dude who was texting during a movie. Also, Florida.

Dave99 01-14-14 07:21 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
The first guy from new mexico that got anally probed, x-rayed, CT scanned, enema'd along with a pretty thorough visual exploration of his ass has settled against the city & county for 1.6 million. The suit against the doctors and hospital are still on, so he'll probably get a fair amount more. Too bad it doesn't come out of the police budget.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...wsuit-21516354

DVD Polizei 01-14-14 08:32 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://s30.postimg.org/edzph1cn5/family.jpg


Could somebody please instruct the parents to stop having kids. Thanks.

fujishig 01-15-14 02:39 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I think Dorner had his own thread, but remember when they were hunting for the cop-killer and LAPD shot up two trucks?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2qV9IOIp5


The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office declined to press charges against Officer Brian McGee, who opened fire at close-range last February on an innocent driver.

In a 16-page report explaining its decision, the district attorney’s office said McGee made a “reasonable mistake of fact” and the officer was “acting under an actual belief” that he needed to defend himself.


David Perdue, who was 38 at the time, was driving to pick up a friend and go surfing that morning when he was stopped by Torrance police and told to turn around.

He'd driven less than 300 feet when another Torrance police unit mistook Perdue, who is a slight white man and was driving a Honda Highlander, for Dorner, who was black and described as driving a Nissan Titan.

After turning around, Perdue’s truck was broadsided by another Torrance police cruiser, driven by McGee. The officer then shot at least three rounds at close-range into the Perdue’s driver side window.

Perdue was not shot, but his attorney said he sustained back and head injuries that left him unable to work.



Dave99 01-15-14 03:28 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
So the government is basically giving police permission to make grievous mistakes as long as they are panicking and scared. Brilliant.

Baron Of Hell 01-15-14 03:33 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
So why did the cop think his life was in danger when the person they shot didn't do anything threatening? If it was a general fear for his life in what situation can a cop not claim a general fear of life as a defense?

inri222 01-15-14 03:44 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hgejHuko_B...utality004.JPG

Giantrobo 01-15-14 06:06 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Cops Beat a Deaf Man for Seven Minutes Because He didn’t Respond to Their Yelling


More links here

Ouch. It seems like Handicapped and Mentally Ill folks are taking a chance coming into contact with SOME Cops.


1. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol pulled Pearl over late in the evening on January 3, 2014. Pearl pulled over as he should.

2. Pearl’s driver’s license indicates he is Deaf. He also has a placard in his driver’s door that says, “Driver is deaf”.

3. Pearl pulled over and rolled down his window, expecting an officer to ask for this identification. An officer struck him in the face before Pearl had the chance to do anything. As you can see, he was struck multiple times.

4. An interpreter was never provided while Pearl was under the care of law enforcement. Not during the booking, hospital, or time at the jail was an interpreter provided, even through Pearl requested one.

5. Pearl was left wondering “why” the the entire time. He has no clue why he was beat. Pearl and his family are still not sure, but are ready for some answers.

6. Pearl’s own son is a police officer, as was his son-in-law, who is now a deputy sheriff. He respects law enforcement and knows how to respond when pulled over. There is no reason for someone like Pearl to be hurt like this by those who are meant to protect and serve.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop...ZxV5TJKzwtm.99


6. Pearl’s own son is a police officer, as was his son-in-law, who is now a deputy sheriff. He respects law enforcement and knows how to respond when pulled over. There is no reason for someone like Pearl to be hurt like this by those who are meant to protect and serve.
Wow. Just like how Kelly Thomas' Father was a former Sheriff. So now even Cop relatives aren't safe?

Then again, maybe if more shit like this happens to the ones Officer's love by way of their BAD cop buddies....they'll start to see Brutality as something bad? Not holding my breath...

McHawkson 01-15-14 06:52 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Fuck me... I'd better wear some protection whenever I drive... :(

PenguinJoe 01-15-14 07:25 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
The last line, "The two officers have been put on administrative leave while the department determines whether they should be terminated." I'd say yes, how hard is it to fire a cop?


City Pays $575K To Informant Who Was Forced To Have Sex With Cops

A drug informant for the LAPD has received a $575,000 settlement over a lawsuit she filed claiming two officers forced her to have sex with them.
Tammy Kim had sued the city over her two LAPD handlers, Bill Nichols and Luis Valenzuela, on Jan. 2, 2013 for assault, battery, sexual battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil rights violations, according to City News Service. Her trial was scheduled to start this March, but the City Council voted 14-0 to approve her settlement.
"(Kim) lives in fear for her life as she believes ... that both officers Nichols and Venenzuela verbally informed suspects that (she) assisted them in the arrests," the suit states. "(She) has received several death threats from these suspects and their agents as a direct result of the officers' actions."
Kim is currently serving time in jail (although the reason for her incarceration was not made clear in the lawsuit) and is finishing out her sentence. The lawsuit claims she started working as a drug informant for the LAPD in 2009, naming drug offenders to the officers. She was told by Valenzuela that she would get credits against her jail time for assisting the officers.
However, she claims that Valenzuela wasn't satisfied with the number of names she gave him and that he would give her extra credits with the next arrest he made if she had sex with him. After she agreed to have sex with him, he allegedly took her out of jail in Sept. 2010 to make an arrest. The officer later forced her to have sex with him again in the backseat of his car weeks later.
Kim stopped working with Valenzuela after he got transferred from his position and then worked with Nichols, whom she also had sex with to avoid jail time. However, she claims neither of them gave her credit for helping with the arrests and she's been in jail since April 2011.
The two officers have been put on administrative leave while the department determines whether they should be terminated.

DVD Polizei 01-15-14 08:05 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
It's not uncommon for an informant to accuse their handler of forced sex. At the same time, it's not uncommon for a handler to get out of line. So, my question is, where is the proof, other than her word. Recordings. Documents. Other informants who say the same, etc. Also, if these officers have a history of these types of accusations, it would also reinforce her story.

van der graaf 01-15-14 08:13 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11978906)
It's not uncommon for an informant to accuse their handler of forced sex. At the same time, it's not uncommon for a handler to get out of line. So, my question is, where is the proof, other than her word. Recordings. Documents. Other informants who say the same, etc. Also, if these officers have a history of these types of accusations, it would also reinforce her story.

Yeah, I am sure the city just forked out more than half a million dollars without asking any of those questions...

Baron Of Hell 01-15-14 10:14 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Yeah they approved the payment without a trial which can only mean they have solid evidence or one of the cops admitted he did it. Some bigger crime is going on that they don't want to get out.

Giantrobo 01-16-14 01:55 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11978906)
It's not uncommon for an informant to accuse their handler of forced sex. At the same time, it's not uncommon for a handler to get out of line. So, my question is, where is the proof, other than her word. Recordings. Documents. Other informants who say the same, etc. Also, if these officers have a history of these types of accusations, it would also reinforce her story.

:lol:

Sounds to me as if when she "got out of line" they put they dicks in her. I guess in your world of "All Cops are Never Wrong, even when they are" this is "ok" behavior.

EddieMoney 01-16-14 01:59 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I used to be a cop. I'd bang my informants.

BIG DEAL.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.