DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

slop101 05-31-22 01:53 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Yeah, Kansas City PD is the fucking worst! They're basically The Klan.

That is some next level buffoonery!

Noonan 05-31-22 01:57 PM

Now that the videos are out all those cops will be arrested and convicted of murder, right?

ViewAskewbian 05-31-22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 14111851)
Now that the videos are out all those cops will be arrested and convicted of murder, right?

:whofart:
:lol:
rotfl
:scratch2:
-confused-
:sad:

rw2516 06-02-22 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 14111638)

Unarmed pregnant woman shot 5 times by cops while fleeing suspected carjacking: reports

Missouri cops shot a woman five times as she tried to flee getting arrested for a suspected armed carjacking — even though she had shown that she was unarmed and told them that she was pregnant, according to a horrified witness.

“They shot her! Oh my God, they shot her!” a woman repeatedly cried out in footage she filmed in the aftermath of Friday night’s officer-involved shooting in Kansas City.

“What the f–k!” she gasped as she filmed the shot woman on the ground. “Oh my God, they shot her and they still putting her in handcuffs!”

Police confirmed to KCTV that Leonna Hale, 26, was shot by officers responding to reports of an armed carjacking at 8 p.m.

The male driver fled when cops pulled him over — and Hale was shot as she also tried to flee, Missouri State Highway Patrol, which is investigating the officer-involved shooting, told the outlet.

The police handcuffed her while she was bleeding out on the pavement.

However, the witness who filmed it wrote on Facebook that before turning to run, Hale had “put her hands up and was talking to them to show she didn’t have a weapon in her hand!!!”

The witness, who only gave the name Shédanja, also told The Kansas City Star that Hale had only refused to get on the ground because she told cops that she was pregnant.

“She was gonna cooperate, she got scared, she ran down there and they shot her … it ain’t right!” she exclaimed in her video at the scene.

“I remember seeing her hit the ground and I froze,” she said, adding her sons — aged one, 10 and 13 — were all traumatized from seeing it, too.

The Kansas City Police Department’s interim police chief, Joseph Mabin, told KCTV that his officers “never want to be in these type of situations.”

“This is a holiday weekend. It’s time for friends. Not a time for violence,” he told the outlet Friday.

The DA has charged the woman with illegal firearm possession (she's a convicted felon), brandishing the weapon in a threatening manner at police, and resisting arrest. They have it on video.
She and this guy hijacked a car at gunpoint. Cops found them sitting in the car in a store parking lot. They both took off running. Cops chased her and she pointed the gun at them. They shot her. At the time she claimed she was unarmed but cops have the gun and the video of her holding it.
Activists are saying none of that matters. She's a person and cops shouldn't shoot anyone in any circumstance.

ViewAskewbian 06-02-22 07:30 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...52640679f1.jpg
Whoever Photoshopped the gun in her hand totally needs to lay off the clone tool. (PS: I'm just kidding)

ViewAskewbian 06-02-22 07:34 AM

Oy! Right after I posted this I read further down on the Twitter thread where I grabbed the email and seems this IS what a lot of people are thinking, that the image being circulated is a bad photoshop.

rw2516 06-02-22 07:59 AM

Nobody is disputing what the cops claim. TV news was interviewing protesters and when the evidence was revealed the protesters changed their narrative to "Well...doesn't matter. They still shouldn't have shot her."

ViewAskewbian 06-02-22 08:09 AM

Updated story:

Woman, 26, shot by Kansas City police Friday now charged in case

A 26-year-old Kansas City, Kansas, woman who was shot by Kansas City, Missouri, police officers Friday night has been charged in the case.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said Leonna M. Hale was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful use of a weapon and a misdemeanor of resisting a lawful detention.

Hale was shot by Kansas City police officers outside a Family Dollar store near Sixth Street and Prospect Avenue. Authorities said the car she was in matched a description of one involved in an armed carjacking in Kansas City, Kansas.

When officers conducted a car check, the man driving the car jumped out and ran.

Court documents said Hale got out of the passenger side of the car and went to the rear of the vehicle.

Video surveillance from body cameras showed Hale being told to drop the firearm and pointing it at the officers before the officers fired three shots, according to court records.

Hale was taken to a hospital, where she was last listed in stable condition.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker issued the following statement:

"Some false narratives about what happened last Friday night at 6th and Prospect Avenue, unfortunately, were relied upon by some media and other sources. Our job, as prosecutors, is to remain neutral and review all evidence. Our review of body cam videos provided the actual accounting of events that night.

"Our review of the investigation revealed the defendant, although she denied having a weapon at the time of the encounter with law enforcement officers, continually displayed a weapon during her encounter with police officers and also appeared to be attempting to flee. The two officers stated that she was armed with what they believed to be a handgun. Body camera footage confirms the officers’ statements that Hale was holding a handgun. Still photos, taken from body cam footage, of this encounter also demonstrate a weapon was present and in the hands of the defendant."

fujishig 06-02-22 08:54 AM

Didn't they recover the weapon?

Giantrobo 06-02-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 14111752)
Again, I ask the question - if I'm a Black person living in a "Stand Your Ground" state, why can't I just indiscriminately shoot cops? Surely they would be the biggest threat to my safety...

Yep, one could argue that one of many reasons Minorities resist Cops is a legit historically backed fear of abuse and/or loss of life.

Kurt D 06-02-22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 14112880)
Yep, one could argue that one of many reasons Minorities resist Cops is a legit historically backed fear of abuse and/or loss of life.

Totally legit damned if you do/don't scenario. This country stinks.

emanon 06-02-22 04:15 PM

https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/cfc/...quare.w700.jpg

Kurt D 06-02-22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by emanon (Post 14112901)

:toast:

fujishig 06-30-22 11:35 AM

I posted a similar story in the mass shootings thread, since this was about Uvalde cops, but it's still going on and ugh, like they don't already have enough attention on them:

cultshock 06-30-22 11:48 AM

Fucking pigs, harassing a woman just because she was far braver than those useless cowards were. Disgusting.

stvn1974 07-01-22 03:02 PM

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...jayland-walker

Cops shoot at unarmed black man 90 times hitting 60 times. They even made sure to handcuff his corpse before the coroner arrived to keep everyone safe.

Superman07 07-02-22 10:26 PM

This isn’t a cops were bad, but not sure where else to put it:

Cops went to serve a warrant to a man, and he shot up and killed 3; plus a service dog. However, they negotiated with him and were able to arrest him. What’s odd to me is he killed 3, and is only charged with two murders. Plus, apparently killing a dog only merits an assault charge.

He has been charged with two counts of murdering a police officer, five counts of attempted murder of a police officer, one count of attempted murder and one count of first-degree assault on a service animal.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62025539

Troy Stiffler 07-03-22 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 14127218)
Plus, apparently killing a dog only merits an assault charge.

Do not look up how easily cops are willing to shoot dogs. It's heartbreaking.

Superman07 07-04-22 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 14126696)
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...jayland-walker

Cops shoot at unarmed black man 90 times hitting 60 times. They even made sure to handcuff his corpse before the coroner arrived to keep everyone safe.

Surprised this isn’t getting more attention. There were protests in the city. Even if he was armed and the officers “feared for their lives”, J don’t see how that much firepower is necessary or justified. It sounds like a warzone. Also, I’m not too familiar with guns (except “violent” video games…), but wouldn’t that mean they either had to reload pistols were were carrying something larger? Or do pistols hold 15+ rounds?

jfoobar 07-04-22 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 14127555)
Or do pistols hold 15+ rounds?

If the officers were carrying 9mm pistols, it is pretty much a guarantee that their pistols hold at least 15 rounds.

printerati 07-04-22 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 14126696)
Cops shoot at unarmed black man 90 times hitting 60 times.

About that…

Videos of Jayland Walker Shooting by Police Raise More Questions

In one video, a popping sound can be heard at one point, and an officer reports gunfire coming from the door of Mr. Walker’s car. The shot itself is not visible from the footage, but during the news conference, footage from outside the car was shown that seemed to capture a muzzle flash coming from Mr. Walker’s driver’s side door.

The police said during the news conference that a handgun was later found in Mr. Walker’s car and that a bullet casing was found where they said he fired and that it was consistent with the weapon found in Mr. Walker’s vehicle.

In the news conference, the police did not address whether the handgun in the car was unloaded but said there was a loaded magazine on the seat.

As the chase continued — it lasted more than seven minutes — the footage shows an officer saying that Mr. Walker’s car is slowing down. (Mr. Walker’s car had reached speeds of more than 50 miles per hour at times going through residential neighborhoods.) Seconds later, Mr. Walker, wearing a ski mask, exits the vehicle and begins to flee on foot.

Adam Tyner 07-04-22 12:10 PM

I don’t want to alarm anyone, but Antifa is threatening the police department in Asheville, NC. And you know it’s actually Antifa because they say so, like, seventy-two times, plus it’s from a Hotmail account and was written by someone who still double-spaces after punctuation, which is as Antifa as it gets.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5e877a057.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6d418668a.jpeg

Deftones 07-04-22 12:17 PM

I still double space after periods. I guess I am ANTIFA. :(

Adam Tyner 07-04-22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 14127637)
I still double space after periods.

Me too! And I don't really know why, since I didn't take any typing classes or anything. My seemingly faulty memory is that it was from high school journalism, but Google tells me that wasn't part of any style guides. Maybe it was drilled into me about essay formats or double entry journals or something.

GoldenJCJ 07-04-22 08:37 PM

I double space too! Maybe DVDTalk is a terrorist breeding ground after all!