DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

PerryD 01-12-22 08:38 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Dying from a disease because you aren't vaccinated gets you designated as dying in the line of duty?

Adam Tyner 01-12-22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 14039751)
Dying from a disease because you aren't vaccinated gets you designated as dying in the line of duty?

Yes.

Last year, Congress passed a law that created a general presumption that a public safety officer who is disabled or dies from COVID-19 or complications, contracted it on the job and is entitled to the same death, disability and educational benefits available to any other public safety officer killed or injured in the line of duty.

Giantrobo 01-18-22 03:40 PM

I think was back in 2021, not sure. But this video has been released showing a cop choking a fellow Female Officer...for her being a Good Apple that tries to get him to stop attacking a perp . Wow..imagine what he has done to citizens...

Happens around 2:00 in. You can see her go into pull him back, then he turns on her. WTF...

slop101 01-18-22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 14042907)
I think was back in 2021, not sure. But this video has been released showing a cop choking a fellow Female Officer...for her being a Good Apple that tries to get him to stop attacking a perp . Wow..imagine what he has done to citizens...

Happens around 2:00 in. You can see her go into pull him back, then he turns on her. WTF...

Again, if this were any other profession, like, say some co-worker does that to you at a cubicle, not only would they be fired on the spot, they'd get thrown in jail and charged. But since he's a cop, it's just "part of the job". Such bullshit.

Draven 01-18-22 05:52 PM

Well it's such a hard job, you know? If you can't choke out your co-workers every once in a while, no one would sign up for it!

Abob Teff 01-18-22 06:55 PM

Well, they didn’t kill anybody or beat up any suspects, but apparently chasing a Bulbasaur instead of shoplifters is a no-no.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/01/12/u...rnd/index.html

stingermck 01-24-22 02:38 PM

This is a crazy read

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/poli...lack-hole.html

jfoobar 01-24-22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 14046573)

I saw the "al.com" and knew it was about Brookside before I even clicked the link. Those issues go back years.

My first ever law enforcement job was with a sheriff's department in Alabama. We had about 25 miles of Interstate running right through the middle of the county and while there were no legal prohibitions on us ticketing along it, we had an unwritten agreement with the local state police barracks that we would not unless it was something reckless or exceedingly dangerous. The two city departments along the Interstate seemed to mostly avoid it also, but that is anecdotal on my part. In all fairness, even on our busiest shifts, we had no more than 5 deputies patrolling the entire county so it was just as well that we were patrolling elsewhere anyway. Plus, the crooked old bastard who was my boss (the elected sheriff) didn't like us writing too many tickets anyway and we would actually get in trouble for making too many DUI arrests.

fujishig 01-24-22 03:16 PM

Now I'm curious, why wouldn't he want you to write more tickets?

jfoobar 01-24-22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14046603)
Now I'm curious, why wouldn't he want you to write more tickets?

The guy would only barely get re-elected every four years. I think the last time he had won by the skin of his teeth. He was already into his late 60s or early 70s by then so he should have just retired and, here's the kicker, not that many people bother to vote in county elections anyway.

His attitude was that every ticket cost him a vote and every DUI cost him the votes from the perp's whole family. Sadly, he probably wasn't far wrong. Either way, this is rapidly approaching 30 years ago so the old coot is probably rotting in hell by now.

We would still write speeding tickets (although, curiously, there as never enough money in the budget to get us speed guns) by pacing people at night on one of the county's larger state highways but we would usually just go after people going at least 30 over so ol' Sheriff Jackass couldn't carp too much about it. DUIs could have been fish in a barrel just by staking out a few notorious water holes late on Friday and Saturday nights and watching for the patrons who had a lot of extra difficulty putting keys into doors but nope. We had one young deputy who wrote too many and got threatened with being transferred to first shift (which is boring as hell) so he quit for a better job soon afterwards.

Red Hood 01-25-22 06:04 PM

Just a case of mistaken identity

Abob Teff 01-26-22 02:00 PM

A spokeswoman for the city of Henderson told NBC News on Monday that the younger man was "correctly arrested" for driving with a suspended licence, contempt of court and failing to pay a fine to the city.

"Mr Brown admitted to the arresting officers that he knew his driver licence was suspended and that he had traffic warrants in Henderson," said spokeswoman Kathleen Richards.

"The plaintiff in this lawsuit has not presented all the facts and circumstances behind his lawful and proper arrest by Henderson Police, which will be further addressed in the City Attorney's response to the court."
How the fuck could he have been "correctly arrested" when you didn't even know who the fuck you were arresting?

jfoobar 01-26-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 14047679)
How the fuck could he have been "correctly arrested" when you didn't even know who the fuck you were arresting?

It really depends on the chronology and what the arresting officer knew and didn't know at the time of the arrest. Even if the officer mistakenly believed that the young man was the other guy with an arrest warrant, if he/she ascertained correctly that the young man was driving on a suspended license (misdemeanor in Nevada) and arrested him for that, he was indeed correctly arrested.

What happened after that, either way, sounds like a complete shitshow.

fujishig 01-26-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 14047694)
It really depends on the chronology and what the arresting officer knew and didn't know at the time of the arrest. Even if the officer mistakenly believed that the young man was the other guy with an arrest warrant, if he/she ascertained correctly that the young man was driving on a suspended license (misdemeanor in Nevada) and arrested him for that, he was indeed correctly arrested.

What happened after that, either way, sounds like a complete shitshow.

If they had his license info, wouldn't they know who they're dealing with at that point?

jfoobar 01-26-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14047723)
If they had his license info, wouldn't they know who they're dealing with at that point?

If they had his license into and therefore knew that the individual associated with that license was driving on a suspended license, unpaid court fines, etc. and they arrested him for that, it was a proper arrest.

fujishig 01-26-22 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 14047732)
If they had his license into and therefore knew that the individual associated with that license was driving on a suspended license, unpaid court fines, etc. and they arrested him for that, it was a proper arrest.

I understand what you're saying, I'm saying once they have his license and identification (even if suspended) how do they then associate him with a completely different person? And was the six days in jail for what he actually did or for what the other person with his name did? The fact that they released him almost immediately after his lawyer showed up with the two photos kind of tells me that they were in the wrong.

jfoobar 01-26-22 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14047746)
I understand what you're saying, I'm saying once they have his license and identification (even if suspended) how do they then associate him with a completely different person? And was the six days in jail for what he actually did or for what the other person with his name did? The fact that they released him almost immediately after his lawyer showed up with the two photos kind of tells me that they were in the wrong.

Oh yeah, no question. I am only suggesting that the original arrest might be OK in response to Abob's question:

How the fuck could he have been "correctly arrested"

I suppose it is possible for someone to spend six days in holding for a non-violent misdemeanor arrest like this, but it is probably pretty uncommon. Also, the young man should have had an initial hearing before a judge long before that six days. What was said in that hearing? Like I said, this smells like a shitshow.

JasonF 01-26-22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 14047764)
I suppose it is possible for someone to spend six days in holding for a non-violent misdemeanor arrest like this, but it is probably pretty uncommon.

People who are arrested must be arraigned within three business days. He was arrested in January 2020. Theoretically, if he were arrested on Friday night before the MLK holiday, that would give them until Thursday to arraign him. That's the only way I see it happening (and it shouldn't have taken until the arraignment for the police to realize this was not the same guy).

jfoobar 01-27-22 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 14047811)
People who are arrested must be arraigned within three business days. He was arrested in January 2020. Theoretically, if he were arrested on Friday night before the MLK holiday, that would give them until Thursday to arraign him. That's the only way I see it happening (and it shouldn't have taken until the arraignment for the police to realize this was not the same guy).

It is worse than that. The defendant's initial appearance happens well before the arraignment (this is where the judge asks the defendant if he/she needs appointed legal representation). So Brown would have appeared before a judge well inside of the three business days, typically within 24 hours of the arrest. I cannot remember, however, if the defendant is advised of charges again at this hearing or not.

Draven 01-27-22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 14048101)
It is worse than that. The defendant's initial appearance happens well before the arraignment (this is where the judge asks the defendant if he/she needs appointed legal representation). So Brown would have appeared before a judge well inside of the three business days, typically within 24 hours of the arrest. I cannot remember, however, if the defendant is advised of charges again at this hearing or not.

Iím no lawyer or police officer, but wouldnít someone have, you know, looked at his driverís license and realized the name was wrong?

jfoobar 01-27-22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 14048125)
Iím no lawyer or police officer, but wouldnít someone have, you know, looked at his driverís license and realized the name was wrong?

Again, all I have been saying is that the original arrest for driving on a suspended license may have been perfectly legitimate. Had the initial arrest been for the outstanding warrant instead, this would be a different enchilada altogether.

It goes without saying that the fact that it took six days or more to acknowledge that this young man was not the same person as the warrant subject clearly points to some substantial disfunction somewhere.

Abob Teff 01-27-22 12:08 PM

The article said he did not have his driver's license. Perhaps our LE folks can speak to my ignorance since my experience never went past a degree and an internship ...

If they didn't have his actual driver's license, they still can look him up in the system (assuming he is giving them legitimate personal info). I had this happen once when I forgot my wallet and got pulled over. At this point there are two things that can happen:
  1. they look up the CORRECT guy in the system and arrest him for driving on a suspended license (a correct and lawful arrest)
  2. they look up the INCORRECT guy and arrest him for the warrant
Arresting the incorrect guy for the warrant does NOT make #1 a correct arrest. Otherwise, we just arrest people and wait and see what they did.

AGuyNamedMike 01-27-22 12:21 PM

The fact that they merely incarcerated him for a week instead of emptying their magazines into him gives me hope for the future. :/

jfoobar 01-27-22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 14048140)
The article said he did not have his driver's license. Perhaps our LE folks can speak to my ignorance since my experience never went past a degree and an internship ...

If they didn't have his actual driver's license, they still can look him up in the system (assuming he is giving them legitimate personal info). I had this happen once when I forgot my wallet and got pulled over. At this point there are two things that can happen:
  1. they look up the CORRECT guy in the system and arrest him for driving on a suspended license (a correct and lawful arrest)
  2. they look up the INCORRECT guy and arrest him for the warrant
Arresting the incorrect guy for the warrant does NOT make #1 a correct arrest. Otherwise, we just arrest people and wait and see what they did.

Well, the young man arrested actually was indeed driving on a suspended license so that strongly suggests that they did pull up the correct records to justify the arrest. Plus, even if by some coincidence the warrant subject also had a suspended DL and they arrested the young man based on someone else's driving records, the arrest would no longer be lawful regardless. The probable cause for an arrest must be accurate and known to the arresting officer.

Abob Teff 01-27-22 08:42 PM

Maybe it is my interpretation, but I read it as they did NOT pull up the right records and later tried to justify it by saying “well, he was suspended and he said it” (even if we had no clue who he actually was).

If that was the case, he was NOT “correctly arrested” — as you pointed out, the probable cause must be accurate and known.

If they did get the right record and did arrest him correctly, then they knew the warrant was not for him and unlawfully detained him afterwards.