DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Baron Of Hell 12-16-21 02:18 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

How is pointing a gun at someone's head a "misdemeanor exhibition of a gun" and doing it in front of children.

Draven 12-16-21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 14026523)
How is pointing a gun at someone's head a "misdemeanor exhibition of a gun" and doing it in front of children.

And also not "you're fired". He admitted what he did and there are plenty of witnesses too. Why does he still have a job? If any one of us did this we'd be fired before the day was over.

Adam Tyner 12-16-21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 14026526)
Why does he still have a job?

Because sheriffs are elected rather than hired, the process for removing one can be involved. I'm hardly an expert, but it seems as if this typically has to go through the court system.

AGuyNamedMike 12-16-21 03:00 PM

Daaammmnnn. Carjacked by an armed man in a drunken rage, and he turns out to be the Sheriff. [strikes Idaho off the list of potential retirement states]

jfoobar 12-16-21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike (Post 14026535)
Daaammmnnn. Carjacked by an armed man in a drunken rage, and he turns out to be the Sheriff. [strikes Idaho off the list of potential retirement states]

You'd be late to the party anyway. Meridian, ID is one of the 5 or 6 fastest growing cities in the U.S. right now (along with South Jordan, UT and a few small cities in Texas). I suspect that property prices there have already gone through the roof in the past year or two.

Abob Teff 12-16-21 10:51 PM

See, you bolded the wrong portions and blew it all out of proportion ... he kept his finger on the slide and eventually let them go. It's all good! -rolleyes-

jfoobar 12-18-21 02:30 PM

This should piss of anyone who reads it:

https://dcist.com/story/21/12/18/dc-police-panel-blocked-mpd-firings/

D.C. Police Tried to Fire 24 Current Officers for ‘Criminal Offenses.’ A Powerful Panel Blocked Nearly Every One, Documents Show

Excerpt:

He’d pieced it all together. After a grueling two-hour interview, Weeks eventually got Faunteroy to confess. Faunteroy said he’d tried to pay for sex, the records show. After being denied, he’d pointed his MPD-issued Glock at a sex worker. He’d wrongly accused her of stealing his phone. And he’d lied about it all, Weeks later determined.

“You put the puzzle together,” Faunteroy told Weeks at the end of the interview. “You’re right.”

The Metropolitan Police Department swiftly took action, moving to terminate Faunteroy. The Internal Affairs Division determined that “a preponderance of evidence existed to sustain the allegations” that he violated D.C. laws and department policy.

Yet a powerful tribunal of three high-ranking officers, known as the Adverse Action Panel, overruled the department’s decision to fire Faunteroy. The officer in charge of the panel: Robert J. Contee, who has since risen to become chief of police. Faunteroy was stripped of his title of master patrol officer, a high-ranking patrol officer paid extra to “provide effective coaching, mentoring, and guidance to other officers,” but the department roster shows he’s since regained the title.

Internal records show that MPD’s Disciplinary Review Division sought to terminate at least 24 officers currently on the force for criminal misconduct from 2009 to 2019. In all but three of those cases, the records show, the Adverse Action Panel blocked the termination and instead issued much lighter punishment – an average of a 29-day suspension without pay. These officers amassed disciplinary records for domestic violence, DUIs, indecent exposure, sexual solicitation, stalking, and more. In several instances, they fled the scenes of their crimes.

Draven 12-18-21 03:53 PM

Weird that cops do such a poor job of investigating themselves.

Abob Teff 12-18-21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 14027452)
Weird that cops do such a poor job of investigating themselves.

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The police, who investigate crime, and the police protection who cover up those crimes. DUH DUH …

jfoobar 12-23-21 01:35 PM

Kim Potter/Daunte Wright verdict has been reached, should be announced within an hour or so.

story 12-23-21 01:37 PM

Kim Potter found guilty on all counts.

I think the prosecution presented their case well. The jury reached a verdict on second degree and culpable negligence a couple days ago and the first degree they found today. Locally, the city is breathing easier. On the whole, I think this is step toward justice in the big picture.

Abob Teff 12-23-21 08:12 PM

Need a subscription for the link story, but thank you!

I am amazed. I really thought this one would be another one who was let off the hook or convicted on much lesser charges.

Hearing her on the stand was indeed heartbreaking. I can't say I believe she ever set out to do this, but it absolutely was reckless and indicative of the larger issues. I have always had an issue with tasers becoming a "tool of compliance" versus the alternative to lethal force that they were introduced as back in the 1990s. What really was the damning piece of evidence, IMO, was when they pointed out that the taser and service weapon are worn on opposite sides of the belt, drawn by different hands, and trained on to build that muscle memory and avoid this situation.

So, we are finally starting to hold cops accountable, but teenage instigator vigilantes are OK.

Draven 12-23-21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 14029924)
So, we are finally starting to hold cops accountable, but teenage instigator vigilantes are OK.

Minnesota and Wisconsin can be very different at times, especially the Twin Cities.

Abob Teff 12-29-21 03:47 PM

Surprised this one hasn’t been posted yet …

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna10208

A man in a Los Angeles mall started attacking people with a bike lock (and chain). The mall evacuates, police respond. They find the suspect and shoot at him as he is running away. The suspect is hit and one of the bullets ricochets off the floor, passes through the wall, and kills a 14-year old girl who was hiding in the dressing room with her mom.

Exactly why was a SWAT offensive launched for a guy with a bike lock?

In the video it looks as if there is only one officer carrying an assault rifle. Exactly why did an officer need to carry an assault rifle? (Guess which guy fired the shots. I don’t usually jump to hyperbole, but I’m going with Mr. Needs To Overcompensate.)

Giantrobo 12-29-21 04:17 PM

I heard that someone calling 911 about that guy with the bike lock may have said he had a gun. Don't know if that's true....

cultshock 12-29-21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 14032217)
Exactly why was a SWAT offensive launched for a guy with a bike lock?

'Murica! Especially their cops. My heart goes out the girl and her family, apparently the girl died in her mother's arms. :sad:

Koby 12-29-21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 14032230)
I heard that someone calling 911 about that guy with the bike lock may have said he had a gun. Don't know if that's true....

The video I watched did have a 911 phone call involved where a lady claimed he had a gun and had actually fired some rounds. Of course this was a lie as he never had a gun.

The cop with the rifle just runs in there and open fires immediately. Had they taken a second and tried saying something they'd have realized there was no gun and no immediate need to shoot. The guy was far enough away from the woman he beat in the head at that time that they could've pulled her to away.

Why So Blu? 12-29-21 08:29 PM

Officers urged cop to 'slow down' before he fatally shot a suspect and 14-year-old girl inside a Burlington Coat Factory, body-camera footage shows

He went in guns blazing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officers-...175904625.html

Draven 12-29-21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14032367)

Officers urged cop to 'slow down' before he fatally shot a suspect and 14-year-old girl inside a Burlington Coat Factory, body-camera footage shows

He went in guns blazing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officers-...175904625.html

Someone’s getting an internship with Matt Gaetz!

Abob Teff 12-29-21 09:56 PM

Valentina Orellana-Peralta ... Rest in peace.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...340b4ba62d.jpg

The initial perpetrator ... not innocent by the video, but definitely needing mental health care rather than a tactical intervention.

Daniel Elena-Lopez
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8c959ff865.jpg

Red Hood 01-12-22 06:53 PM

A prison guard rapes a girl he handcuffed and was supposed to be transporting, gets caught and the judge sentences him to either go to the military or jail. Wtf is wrong with these judges today?!?

Abob Teff 01-12-22 07:22 PM

That's still a thing? What is next, training him with sword and shield?

PerryD 01-12-22 08:38 PM

Dying from a disease because you aren't vaccinated gets you designated as dying in the line of duty?

Adam Tyner 01-12-22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 14039751)
Dying from a disease because you aren't vaccinated gets you designated as dying in the line of duty?

Yes.

Last year, Congress passed a law that created a general presumption that a public safety officer who is disabled or dies from COVID-19 or complications, contracted it on the job and is entitled to the same death, disability and educational benefits available to any other public safety officer killed or injured in the line of duty.

Giantrobo 01-18-22 03:40 PM

I think was back in 2021, not sure. But this video has been released showing a cop choking a fellow Female Officer...for her being a Good Apple that tries to get him to stop attacking a perp . Wow..imagine what he has done to citizens...

Happens around 2:00 in. You can see her go into pull him back, then he turns on her. WTF...