Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 05-31-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

I'm pretty sure the four or so times I've had to use a locksmith for my home or car, they all showed up in vehicles without any logos. Aside from looking at my ID, there really wasn't any other way to verify I was the owner of the car or house. The home address would obviously match, but I don't know what they do about verifying vehicles. I asked the last guy that got me in my house what he did if I didn't have my ID, and he said he asked someone to then go into the house and get ID once it's opened up.
Old 05-31-21, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Hope she has the money to pay it.

If that were my friends, they'd probably ignore the ticket until it turns into a suspended license, a warrant, and then avoid and be terrified of police interaction indefinitely.
That's not how it works. They wouldn't suspend your driver's license for a non driving violation. That can probably vary from state to state. But in PA you would have to be doing something wrong while driving to have it effect your driver's license. They also don't issue warrants for summary offenses.
Old 06-04-21, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

And the "children" as the article refers to them weren't turned into swiss cheese, gee I wonder why?

Sheriff: Boy, girl used AK-47, shotgun in shootout with deputies

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/volu...LGUWUDUIR5RNQ/
Old 06-04-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 398 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
And the "children" as the article refers to them weren't turned into swiss cheese, gee I wonder why?

Sheriff: Boy, girl used AK-47, shotgun in shootout with deputies

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/volu...LGUWUDUIR5RNQ/
Well they weren't black kids in a park with a bb gun, so...you understand.
Old 06-10-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 237 Posts

This video has angered me to no end. And even worse, the fucking bootlickers that support the "comply to law enforcement or die" bullshit.

Old 06-10-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
This video has angered me to no end. And even worse, the fucking bootlickers that support the "comply to law enforcement or die" bullshit.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/st...688544769?s=20
Even outside of the pregnancy thing, why in the world would he think that's a rationale response and who in the world would defend that?
Old 06-10-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Even outside of the pregnancy thing, why in the world would he think that's a rationale response and who in the world would defend that?
Cops gotta be careful. For all they knew, the car could have been driven by a black guy going to the supermarket. Can't risk dangers like that.
Old 06-10-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The cops are saying that you should pull over, end of discussion. Even though the ACTUAL DRIVER'S MANUAL says you can put on your flashers and find a safe place to stop. Like the cop wants to be standing alongside a car on a reduced shoulder? They'd literally be in the right lane.

Cannot believe this guy WASN'T fired then arrested but that's law enforcement for ya.

Last edited by Draven; 06-10-21 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I hope that pregnant lady gets a massive settlement and opens a trust. She, that baby, and generations of her family will never have to work again.
Old 06-10-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The cops are saying that you should pull over, end of discussion. Even though the ACTUAL DRIVER'S MANUAL says you can put on your flashers and find a safe place to stop. Like the cop wants to be standing alongside a car on a reduced shoulder? They'd literally be in the right lane.

Cannot believe this guy was fired then arrested but that's law enforcement for ya.
That was my next question. There is probably enough room to barely fit on that shoulder but I'd be looking for an offramp too. She made it clear that she saw him and wasn't speeding off. Are you supposed to pull over right away even if there's little room to do so (if there's not much traffic)?
Old 06-10-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 142 Posts

It's mean but it made me laugh. Somebody on my FB friends list posted a comment the other day that read "My favorite cop is Officer Down."
Old 06-10-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
It's mean but it made me laugh. Somebody on my FB friends list posted a comment the other day that read "My favorite cop is Officer Down."
OK, that's funny.
Old 06-10-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was my next question. There is probably enough room to barely fit on that shoulder but I'd be looking for an offramp too. She made it clear that she saw him and wasn't speeding off. Are you supposed to pull over right away even if there's little room to do so (if there's not much traffic)?
Apparently this is what the manual says:

"Pull over to the right side of the road activate your turn signal or emergency flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop," the Arkansas Driver License Study Guide reads.
Old 06-10-21, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

I only pull to the side of the road if there's AMPLE space on the shoulder - otherwise, I pull into a parking lot. It's been decades since I've been pulled over, but the few times I have waited until I pulled into a lot, the cop always thanked me for doing so and not stopping in the road - once, the cop even said on his bullhorn to keep going until the next lot.

I have no idea what this guy's problem was. I hope he has to foot the bill for that woman's car/hospital all on his own.
Old 06-10-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have done the same too.

I've seen this done many times over the years, and I've certainly skated up a few blocks or whatever to find a safe place to pull over myself.

At least she and the baby made it out ok.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-car-n1270217
In the video, the trooper approached Harper's flipped car and as he helped her out of the wreckage asked: "Why didn't you stop?"

"Because I didn't feel like it was safe," she answered

"Well this is where you ended up," the trooper responded. "Ma'am you got to pull over."
What an asshole.
Old 06-10-21, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 615 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'd have done the same too.

I've seen this done many times over the years, and I've certainly skated up a few blocks or whatever to find a safe place to pull over myself.

At least she and the baby made it out ok.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-car-n1270217

What an asshole.
Yeah, he's a cop. You expect anything else?
Old 06-10-21, 07:27 PM

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
OK, that's funny.
Mod Warning: Save the laughter over the "funny" of an officer, hypothetical or real, being injured for Facebook. We don't need it here, even in the hypothetical, thank you. It adds less than zero to the conversation.
Old 06-10-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Concur. After all, he or she might be the good cop at that precinct.
Old 06-10-21, 08:34 PM

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

You mean like TJ Hooker?
Old 06-10-21, 11:09 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Not pulling over right away is the equivalent of a twitch that startled a cop and caused him to shoot.
Old 06-11-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
You mean like TJ Hooker?
Now there's a great cop!
Old 06-11-21, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no lawyer, and I don't have a lot of faith in our justice system holding cops accountable, but I don't see how this woman has anything but a slam dunk case here. She immediately got over in the right lane, slowed her speed, and put on her blinkers -- exactly what the manual says to do. What exactly could the cop argue that the video doesn't show plain as day?
Old 06-11-21, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Infusion07 View Post
I'm no lawyer, and I don't have a lot of faith in our justice system holding cops accountable, but I don't see how this woman has anything but a slam dunk case here. She immediately got over in the right lane, slowed her speed, and put on her blinkers -- exactly what the manual says to do. What exactly could the cop argue that the video doesn't show plain as day?
"Respect my authoritah!" seems to be their go-to.
Old 06-11-21, 04:03 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Infusion07 View Post
She didn't pull over right away. The cop feared for his life. It could have been anybody, an Antifa member wanting to kill thousands or start an insurrection. How could he have known that she was a pregnant woman?
Old 06-11-21, 04:06 PM

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Now there's a great cop!
I for one support the policy of only hiring Canadian Jews as police officers in the United States.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.