DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Kurt D 05-04-21 10:48 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13929772)
A world where people, knowing that there COULD be serious consequences for their actions, abuse women, children, and anmials. A world where people steal from their neighbors. A world where people physically attack others for cutting them off on the freeway. A world where people kill other people for a few dollars worth of stuff.

The real world.

Now imagine that world without law enforcement. NO consequences. It would become infinitely worse.

How many of those barbaric crimes you mentioned end up with the perpetrators captured by the police in a timely fashion I wonder?

Why do they occur at all when we have police?

How many people are waiting in the wings just champing at the bit to commit crimes, but think better of it because we have the police?

Oh, and has ANYONE HERE ADVOCATED FOR COMPLETE ABOLITION OF THE POLICE?

criminy

Edited to get to the crux of the matter

slop101 05-04-21 11:01 PM

A world where people, knowing that there COULD be serious consequences for their actions, abuse women, children, and anmials. A world where people steal from their neighbors. A world where people physically attack others for cutting them off on the freeway. A world where people kill other people for a few dollars worth of stuff.

The real world.

Now imagine that world without law enforcement. NO consequences. It would become infinitely worse.

Everything you wrote is mostly in your head and closer to movies and fantasy than "the real world".

B5Erik 05-05-21 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13929792)
Everything you wrote is mostly in your head and closer to movies and fantasy than "the real world".

You have got to be kidding me.

There are all types of ugly abuse that goes on, victimizing women, children, animals, etc. Every single day there are hundreds if not thousands of incidents of abuse across the country. Murders occur daily. Burglaries number in the thousands every day. The easily documented list of ugly crimes goes on and on and on.

Do you really not get that?

B5Erik 05-05-21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kurt D (Post 13929786)
How many of those barbaric crimes you mentioned end up with the perpetrators captured by the police in a timely fashion I wonder?

Why do they occur at all when we have police?

Because the police can't arrest people before the commit crimes - but people who are in prison can't commit further crimes. California, for example, saw violent crime rates increase substantially when the governor ordered, "Non violent," felons to be released to reduce prison overcrowding. Why? Because a lot of people in prison for non violent crimes actually committed violent crimes and pled guilty to non violent crimes to get reduced sentences.

Oh, and has ANYONE HERE ADVOCATED FOR COMPLETE ABOLITION OF THE POLICE?
Very few people here seem to appreciate the role the police play in keeping our society from crumbling into anarchy. People suck. That is a documented fact. (Unless you don't think that abusing women, children, and animals sucks, and you don't think that assaults, burglary, and murder suck - there are a lot of really bad people out there, and if not for the risk of going to prison a lot more be willing to do a lot of bad stuff, too.)

Nesbit 05-05-21 01:38 AM

That's a no, no one here has advocated for the complete abolition of police.

B5Erik 05-05-21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13929833)

True, but it sure seems like damned few people here appreciate what the police do to keep society from crumbling into anarchy - a lot of people people here seem to think that things would be all rainbows and unicorns if there were little or no police presence in society.

I really don't think people here understand just how much human beings suck. At least a much higher percentage of the population sucks than I'm comfortable with. Fuck, look at January 6th. People who were supposed supporters of Blue Lives Matter were willing to beat cops to death over a lie. A lot of people. There is far too much cruelty and violence caused by human beings.

spainlinx0 05-05-21 06:18 AM

Yeah, there is far too much cruelty in humanity. I’d prefer the people who are supposed to protect us weren’t a group that revels in violence against the general populace.

Vibiana 05-05-21 07:35 AM

I've been typing for a living for more than 35 years but my hat is off to the guy who can do it while rimming a cop's asshole.

GoVegan 05-05-21 08:52 AM

The real world.

It's an incredibly scary world in which you live. But realistically, the vast majority of people you run across in an average day mean you no harm whatsoever. Almost nobody wants to rob you. Likely nobody wants to kill you.

You worry about these things more than bad police because you know you're unlikely to ever be the victim of a "bad apple" cop. That's a problem for other people to worry about. Personally, I'd be terrified of a cop who was expecting the worst out of everyone, which many of them clearly are.

spainlinx0 05-05-21 08:59 AM

Remember, it seems that a lot of the conservative mindset runs on fear. We can see it with Erik above. He's afraid of everything and needs strong police to protect him. He's afraid that electric cars will make his life way more difficult.

I don't know if they see the irony of the party that constantly calls the other side beta and scared, has all of their worldviews informed by fear. Fear of immigrants taking their jobs, fear of criminals lurking around the corner, fear of technology changes that threaten their current way of life. Fear that the government is secretly trying to control them by making them wear masks or implant tracking devices in them through a vaccine.

And yet when it comes to the things they should actually fear, like the militarization of police, or corporations suppressing worker wages while paying the government to look the other way to all their malfeasances (is that proper English?), they happily lick the boots and beg for more. Because daddy police and Trump will protect them.

Noonan 05-05-21 09:00 AM

You guys are still trying to convince a middle aged white guy in CA that police target minorities? How exhausting.

Josh-da-man 05-05-21 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13929884)
I don't know if they see the irony of the party that constantly calls the other side beta and scared, has all of their worldviews informed by fear. Fear of immigrants taking their jobs, fear of criminals lurking around the corner, fear of technology changes that threaten their current way of life. Fear that the government is secretly trying to control them by making them wear masks or implant tracking devices in them through a vaccine.

And yet when it comes to the things they should actually fear, like the militarization of police, or corporations suppressing worker wages while paying the government to look the other way to all their malfeasances (is that proper English?), they happily lick the boots and beg for more. Because daddy police and Trump will protect them.

It's funny, but when you really look at the "alpha male" type, he's vain, think-skinned, needy, and so frightened that he's constantly seeking out a bigger dog to protect him.

Donald Trump, vain, think-skinned, needy, and requiring constant praise and affirmation, is the epitome of the American alpha male.

You can also see it in the military (members of the military need nearly constant support and affirmation. Support the troops! Thank a soldier!) and police become fearful at even the slightest sign of resistance and panic like Barney Fife in a haunted house.

The alpha male is not the stoic paragon he sees himself as. They're all just a bunch of posturing assholes like the douchebags on Jersey Shore.

spainlinx0 05-05-21 09:34 AM

Believe it or not, the guys on the Jersey Shore had a lot more self-awareness than any of the people you described.

New Lurker 05-05-21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vibiana (Post 13929861)
I've been typing for a living for more than 35 years but my hat is off to the guy who can do it while rimming a cop's asshole.

:lol::lol::lol: I laughed out loud for real while reading that... thank you for that lol.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13929884)
Remember, it seems that a lot of the conservative mindset runs on fear. We can see it with Erik above. He's afraid of everything and needs strong police to protect him. He's afraid that electric cars will make his life way more difficult.

Excellent post. The world view of a conservative just doesn't compute with how my brain works. All that fearmongering has just got to be exhausting. No thank you, that's not the life for me.

slop101 05-05-21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13929831)
You have got to be kidding me.

There are all types of ugly abuse that goes on, victimizing women, children, animals, etc. Every single day there are hundreds if not thousands of incidents of abuse across the country. Murders occur daily. Burglaries number in the thousands every day. The easily documented list of ugly crimes goes on and on and on.

Do you really not get that?

You're the one who doesn't seem to understand things.
Start with trying to understand the root causes of those things you described above.

Kurt D 05-05-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13929833)

Thank you, I appreciate the maturity it demonstrates to actually answer the question. (If you know what I'm saying.)

Kurt D 05-05-21 11:16 AM

I'd just like to add that most of the people I know are a hair's-breadth from raping and murdering at any second. It's only the police that keep them, and me, from doing it. The criminals I know, however, cackle quietly to themselves, dreaming of the day they can constantly commit crimes, raping, murdering, robbing and breaking the speed limit every hour of the day.

B5Erik 05-05-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13929938)
You're the one who doesn't seem to understand things.
Start with trying to understand the root causes of those things you described above.

The root cause of abuse of women, children, and animals? You have to be an ugly kind of sick to do that. Murder? Same. Assault after road rage? To do that you've just got to be an asshole.

There are a lot of bad, selfish, uncaring, unempathetic people out there. And they don't wear body cams.

slop101 05-05-21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13929958)
The root cause of abuse of women, children, and animals? You have to be an ugly kind of sick to do that. Murder? Same. Assault after road rage? To do that you've just got to be an asshole.

There are a lot of bad, selfish, uncaring, unempathetic people out there. And they don't wear body cams.

So people are just inherently evil and want to do bad things?
You watch too many fucking movies.

GoVegan 05-05-21 11:47 AM

I hope none of those sickos who want to abuse, murder or assault decides to become a cop. Giving that sort of person power over all of us would be terrifying.

spainlinx0 05-05-21 11:50 AM

Erik reminds me of that Penn quote where he says he’s terrified of religious people. They asked the question, if you don’t believe in god or hell, then what’s stopping you from raping and killing people?

And he answers that he does all the raping and killing that he wants, which is none. Erik believes everyone out there wants to rape and kill, but it’s the worry about getting caught by the police, which by the way I believe 60 percent of all crime is unsolved, that stops people.

From this, it sounds like Erik is worried that he would be one of these barbarians, and the police are keeping him in line.

B5Erik 05-05-21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13929964)
So people are just inherently evil and want to do bad things?
You watch too many fucking movies.

Explain people who abuse women, children, and animals then. Explain people who murder others without feeling any remorse.

And when it comes to assaults over stupid stuff like traffic that just comes down to a lot of people being assholes.

slop101 05-05-21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13929971)
Explain people who abuse women, children, and animals then. Explain people who murder others without feeling any remorse.

And when it comes to assaults over stupid stuff like traffic that just comes down to a lot of people being assholes.

"They're just assholes" is not a reason. It's reductive, and lazy as fuck.
There's reasons for these behaviors. But it's convenient for you to not want to understand their deeper root cause.

B5Erik 05-05-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13929981)
"They're just assholes" is not a reason. It's reductive, and lazy as fuck.
There's reasons for these behaviors. But it's convenient for you to not want to understand their deeper root cause.

It almost sounds like you're trying to excuse the behavior. I'm sure you're not, but the root causes are irrelevant to this discussion (although I did note MULTIPLE times in the last couple of days that poverty does lead to crimes like burglary).

The point is, society will never be perfect, and there will always be those willing to abuse women, children, and animals. There will always be people willing to assault and even kill others. They have to be arrested and punished (and the rest of us protected from them for the rest of their lives by their incarceration). Take the worst elements of society off the streets. When you commit crimes like that you forfeit your freedom.

Noonan 05-05-21 01:29 PM

What a fine bunch of people these sheriffs must be.