DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Vibiana 04-19-21 12:43 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13922522)
Well, my bet is we're about to see a murder conviction.

Quit hogging that reefer, dude. Pass it over.

maxfisher 04-19-21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13922511)
Well, that's a completely different issue altogether. Completely unacceptable, but different. (We were talking about cops being thugs.)

But on that issue, that should never be tolerated. There should be some kind of civilian oversight to make sure that there aren't instances of targeting or bias when determining whether or not to pull someone over for a traffic violation.

But in my example, weíre still talking about cops being thugs. Racism can coexist with politeness without the latter robbing the former of its pain or injury. Iím glad you agree in principle. I donít want to presume to speak for BLM or any people of color, but to me, a middle-aged white dude, literal violence against people of color is merely one aspect of whatís broken and needs to be either fixed or, preferably, completely rebuilt.

Kurt D 04-19-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13922493)
Again, you've misunderstood me.

I'm not saying that things have gotten better - but technology has! Cops can't get away with what they used to be able to. Whether it's a dash cam, phone cam, body cam - there are cameras in a very high percentage of situations, unlike 15 or 20 years ago.

So why don't we see more of that footage? I'm not saying these bad experiences don't happen, but why aren't people putting them online and holding those bad cops accountable?

I guess cops treating minorities poorly is like Sasquatch or UFOs then. It's a myth! (Meanwhile, ask any person of color you know what their interactions with the police are like.)

B5Erik 04-19-21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D (Post 13922578)
I guess cops treating minorities poorly is like Sasquatch or UFOs then. It's a myth! (Meanwhile, ask any person of color you know what their interactions with the police are like.)

I never said it didn't happen. I never said it wasn't reprehensible and disgusting.

What I have a hard time reconciling is in the modern age, with everyone having access to video cameras, basically, and external cameras in use as well, why don't we see more of this? If it happens as much as people are saying (and there's no way for any of us to know exactly how often it happens), why don't we see more video online every day when it comes to cops behaving badly? You'd think we would see a lot more every day, but we don't. That just seems odd.

Draven 04-19-21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13922585)
I never said it didn't happen. I never said it wasn't reprehensible and disgusting.

What I have a hard time reconciling is in the modern age, with everyone having access to video cameras, basically, and external cameras in use as well, why don't we see more of this? If it happens as much as people are saying (and there's no way for any of us to know exactly how often it happens), why don't we see more video online every day when it comes to cops behaving badly? You'd think we would see a lot more every day, but we don't. That just seems odd.

Again I ask - where are the crowds around traffic stops who are close enough to hear the way a cop is talking to a minority driver?

B5Erik 04-19-21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13922587)
Again I ask - where are the crowds around traffic stops who are close enough to hear the way a cop is talking to a minority driver?

Dashcams, cell phone of the driver, etc. But even at that traffic stops on the freeway are only a small percentage of police interactions with minorities.

Every traffic stop should be recorded, too.

Nesbit 04-19-21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13922590)

Agreed. I think cops purposefully turning off body cams should be reprimanded or prosecuted as if they acted as poorly as possible during whatever interaction they failed to record.

Also we should either eliminate all traffic stops or have unarmed officers only involved with traffic stops. I'm also for eliminating all armed police officers but one huge step at a time.

Draven 04-19-21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13922590)
Dashcams, cell phone of the driver, etc. But even at that traffic stops on the freeway are only a small percentage of police interactions with minorities.

Link

The most common reason for contact with the police is being a driver in a traffic stop
I have been pulled over 8-9 times in my 28 years of driving. I've never once been pulled over anywhere near a crowd. Most are on neighborhood streets or the freeway.

Abob Teff 04-19-21 02:50 PM

I long for the days when we could have intelligent conversations about issues here.

Vibiana 04-19-21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13922603)
I long for the days when we could have intelligent conversations about issues here.

Don't blame me, dude, I begged kvrdave not to leave. :D

Bandoman 04-19-21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana (Post 13922605)

You may have misread Abob's post. ;)

spainlinx0 04-19-21 03:03 PM

You could try the YouTube comment section if you think it's so bad here.

Nesbit 04-19-21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana (Post 13922605)

Why did Dave leave anyways? Or should I say ascend to a higher plane?

spainlinx0 04-19-21 03:19 PM

Probably over the shame of creating that Hillary thread, and jinxing that presidential election.

VinVega 04-19-21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13922617)
Why did Dave leave anyways? Or should I say ascend to a higher plane?

He didn't leave for lack of love of the DT. He just loved weed that much more.

Giantrobo 04-19-21 05:21 PM

Businesses, Organizations, etc all go through a time when it's necessary to "Shake things up"...get rid of those who no longer benefit the them or downright hurt them, bring in new blood who can make positive change, and take a good honest look within to see how things are.

COPS, Police Unions, and Cop Fans, all resist this. :lol: They think they don't need it. So the Cycle continues...

dork 04-19-21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13922345)
Well, isn't that essentially what you're saying when you say a vast majority of police interactions are smooth, including with people who are minorities? And that you know that for sure? Even if we don't hear about it?

From a Monmouth poll taken days after George Floyd's killing. Definitely a complicated picture, as blacks report more extreme interactions -- both negative and positive -- with police than do other racial groups; however, the majority of African-Americans do not appear to be as down on the police as the average DVDTalker.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...08279d504a.png

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...1a8c720f7c.png

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...9679260266.png

cultshock 04-19-21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13922638)
He didn't leave for lack of love of the DT. He just loved weed that much more.

:lol:

Artman 04-20-21 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13922498)
And you still haven't answered my question: if the majority of cops are good then why do they predominantly protect the bad?

Thatís a problem with public sector jobs in general, when seniority instead of talent is the bar for employment, your not getting the best.

Iím guessing 60/40 on a Manslaughter or hung jury. Either way, more city blocks are going up in flames.

B5Erik 04-20-21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dork (Post 13922733)
From a Monmouth poll taken days after George Floyd's killing. Definitely a complicated picture, as blacks report more extreme interactions -- both negative and positive -- with police than do other racial groups; however, the majority of African-Americans do not appear to be as down on the police as the average DVDTalker.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...08279d504a.png

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...1a8c720f7c.png

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...9679260266.png

Those numbers are certainly interesting. Some better, some worse than what I would have expected. The numbers from white people and those with college education and high incomes are significantly lower than what I expected, but the numbers among the African American community are slightly higher than what I thought we'd see.

72% of African Americans are somewhat satisfied or very satisfied with the job the police does. I would have expected closer to 60%, maybe 65%. Whites with college degrees are only at 73% for those two responses combined, and whites without degrees are only at 70%. Still a large majority in each group is satisfied with the job their local police department is doing.

And the largest percentage for any group that had been kept safe in dangerous situations by the police is the African American community at 41%.

Those are some interesting numbers for sure.

spainlinx0 04-20-21 11:44 AM

Hey, here's more of some hero cops keeping our streets safe, right in my good old home state of NJ.

https://www.rawstory.com/riding-bike...-license-tags/

Police officers in Perth Amboy, New Jersey are under fire after video clips of them appearing to harass a small group of Black teens who were riding their bikes through town went viral. Perth Amboy has a law requiring a bicycle "license tag" but the teens say they live in Edison, and were just riding home.

At one point six police cars were involved. The officers ordered the teens off the bikes, confiscated at least one, and arrested one teen who was arguing they shouldn't have to give up their bikes.

Later, at the police station, one officer told the teen he was lucky to get his bike back, asking if he had the purchase receipt for the bike, and if it is registered with them. The officer also says the teens were told "to stay on the sidewalk," but they were also told to stay on the road and ride with traffic. She says they did all this for their safety.Part of Perth Amboy's extensive bicycle law reads: "An application for a license to own and operate a bicycle shall be made to the Chief of Police in writing upon a form approved by the City Council. Upon approval of an application, the Chief of Police shall provide, at the expense of the city, a proper license tag which shall be attached to the frame of the bicycle in a substantial manner. The removal of such tag, except by proper authority, shall be a violation of this chapter. A license fee of fifty cents ($0.50) shall be charged per year for each bicycle. Such license shall be issued as of the calendar year and shall be effective for such period."

It also bans "fancy riding":

"The rider of a bicycle shall not allow it to proceed in a street by inertia momentum, with his feet removed from the pedals, nor remove both hands from the handlebars while riding the bicycle, nor practice any trick or fancy riding in a street or carry another person upon the bicycle."

So, one town has a bicycle license plate law, and now no one can ride through there without getting harassed? Or is this just another way for cops to target and harass minorities?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...bf82137e97.png

GoldenJCJ 04-20-21 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13923080)
Hey, here's more of some hero cops keeping our streets safe, right in my good old home state of NJ.

https://www.rawstory.com/riding-bike...-license-tags/

So, one town has a bicycle license plate law, and now no one can ride through there without getting harassed? Or is this just another way for cops to target and harass minorities?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...bf82137e97.png

Thatís a weird-ass law. It reads more like one of those antiquated laws that are still on the books but that no one follows.

I canít imagine that town legitimately thinks itís realistic that kids have a copy of the sales receipt on them and/or have their bike registered.

Draven 04-20-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13923093)
I canít imagine that town legitimately thinks itís realistic that kids have a copy of the sales receipt on them and/or have their bike registered.

Those cops would never ask a white kid that. It's just another way to harass.

inri222 04-20-21 12:12 PM

Perth Amboy cops are the worst. I drive through there every day to get to work. 7 years ago I was rear ended in Perth Amboy because the road wasn't properly plowed
and the guy behind me when he tried to brake started skidding and hit me. When I finished giving the cop a report of what happened he gave me and the other driver
both a ticket for reckless driving. I asked him what was this for and he said that if I had been more careful this accident would not have happened. I had to take time off
work to go to court and before going in front of the judge I explained to the prosecutor what happened and he said that the ticket was ridiculous and had the judge dismiss it.
Fucking asshole wasting my time and money just make his quota.

Nesbit 04-21-21 12:50 AM

Not a gang ...