DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

DaveyJoe 07-30-13 02:18 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 11782070)
USCD student to get 4.1 million after being locked in a DEA holding room for 4 days with no food or water, forced to drink his own urine to survive.

The officers involved did go home safely though, and won't be charged.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...217596361.html

The officers apologized to the student for hurting his feelings, then fired automatic rifles into the air.

inri222 07-30-13 02:23 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d-ef47Js7cU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JimRochester 07-30-13 06:48 PM

A million a day? I'd do that.

smg669 07-31-13 08:39 AM

Don't want you 'Mericans to think you've got the market cornered on Cops Behaving Badly...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...oronto-police/

Warning: Story contains graphic details and images

Newly revealed security camera footage has shed light on the police killing of Sammy Yatim, clearly showing him walking forward on a stationary, empty streetcar in downtown Toronto before falling backwards, as he’s hit by the first of several bullets.

The new video comes amid rising public anger and a statement Toronto Police Services Board, the civilian body that oversees the Toronto police, claiming it had “very serious questions” about Yatim’s death.

Const. James Forcillo is being investigated in the shooting of Sammy Yatim.
The Yatim family also released a statement saying they “are heart-broken, confused and still in a state of shock. We are living a nightmare we can’t seem to wake up from.”

A single officer, a six-year veteran, involved in the shooting was identified late Tuesday as Const. James Forcillo by his lawyer, Peter Brauti, who often defends police.

Const. Forcillo appeared on Ontario’s “sunshine list” of public service employees who earned more than $100,000 in 2012. He is listed with a salary of $106,800.89.

The new video, which appears to be a cellphone recording of a security camera monitor from the northwest corner of Dundas West and Bellwoods Avenue, shows Yatim clearly gesturing towards police with a knife in hand. There is no audio in the security camera footage but other videos have indicated someone is saying, “You’re a p—-. You’re a f—- pussy” at this time, while police yell “Drop the knife!” repeatedly.

Yatim then backs off behind the driver’s well, towards the first row of seats.

covenant 07-31-13 10:10 AM

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...oronto-police/

why a knife-wielding young man was met with a lethal level of force
facepalm

eXcentris 07-31-13 05:43 PM

Disgraceful. The kid was alone in the streetcar with a knife and in no position to threaten anyone including the cops who had weapons drawn, but were keeping (originally) a respectable distance. He doesn't comply to the "drop the knife" order and they shoot him 9 times? Fucking retarded...

mhg83 07-31-13 06:09 PM

Here's a suggestion : Don't pull a knife at Police.

eXcentris 07-31-13 06:12 PM

He was INSIDE a streetcar (alone) and the police were OUTSIDE at least 10 feet away...

DaveyJoe 07-31-13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 11783807)
Here's a suggestion : Don't pull a knife at Police.

mhg83: the paragon of good advice

astrochimp 07-31-13 08:56 PM

It was disgraceful. I have big respect for the Cops here, but this made no sense whatsoever. They were under no threat and they started shooting just minutes after arriving on the scene. Only thing I could think of is they had an excess of ammo and since it was the end of the month they were required to "dispose" of it.

PenguinJoe 08-03-13 02:52 PM

Pepper spraying pizza? Fuck is the point of that?

A sheriff's deputy in Orange County will be arraigned Monday for allegedly pepper-spraying a teenager's pizza during a traffic stop.

The teen, authorities said, and a group of friends later became sick after eating the pepper-spray tainted pizza.

Authorities charged Juan Tavera, 30, with one misdemeanor count of assault or battery by a public officer. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of one year in jail, according to the Orange County district attorney's office.

Tavera, who is on paid administrative leave, is a six-year veteran of the Orange County Sheriff's Department, stationed in Laguna Hills.

On Sept. 8, the deputy arrived at the scene where a 19-year-old man had been pulled over by another officer for a traffic violation in Laguna Hills.

Tavera is accused of spotting a pizza on the back seat of the victim's car and then pepper spraying it without the teen noticing.

Later at home, the victim shared the pizza with four friends, leading all five to experience physical discomfort.

The teen called authorities after becoming suspicious of his earlier encounter with Tavera.

Sheriff's officials investigated the case before forwarding it to the Orange County district attorney for review.

Tavera is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Newport Beach.
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-76893651/

JumpCutz 08-03-13 02:54 PM

Extra pepper on pizza? :drool:

JimRochester 08-03-13 05:28 PM

If the guy was still sitting in the car, don't know how he wouldn't notice the pepper spray. The stuff we have is so potent, even the officer spraying would start hacking.

Bandoman 08-03-13 05:49 PM

Why did they eat the pepper-sprayed pizza?

Crocker Jarmen 08-03-13 07:11 PM

That one sounds a little suspect. I thought pepper spray was really noxious. Could you use it in an enclosed place like a car and not have residue left in the air that the driver would have noticed when he got back in the car?

Did they test the pizza at some lab and find pepper spray on it? How do they know it was pepper pray that made them sick? Maybe it was just a shitty pizza. It seems like a big leap to eat some food, get sick, and your first thought is some police officer poisoned your pizza with pepper spray when you weren't looking. What proof is there the pizza was pepper sprayed?

Minor Threat 08-04-13 07:40 AM

Because "I say so" is now valid.....

http://youtu.be/iezsEN31XrI

JimRochester 08-04-13 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11786986)
That one sounds a little suspect. I thought pepper spray was really noxious. Could you use it in an enclosed place like a car and not have residue left in the air that the driver would have noticed when he got back in the car?

I had a tiny spray of the older milder stuff go off in the car once for just a few seconds and you couldn't stand to be in the car. The only way is if it's the weakest wimpiest shit out there.

wmansir 08-04-13 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 11786917)
If the guy was still sitting in the car, don't know how he wouldn't notice the pepper spray. The stuff we have is so potent, even the officer spraying would start hacking.

I don't think we have the full story, considering charges were filed, but still...

OK, let's assume he did a search, perhaps he even placed the kid in his squad car while doing it. Say his spray has a small nozzle so he can crack the box just enough to poke it in and give a small squirt. He leaves the car doors open so it airs out some, it's windy, waits 10 minutes, yadda yadda. Kid drives off none the wiser.

Still, even given all that, I can't imagine a person, let alone five people, not gagging when they open the box, and then putting a slice in towards their mouth and continuing to eat it.

DVD Polizei 08-04-13 12:04 PM

Buncha wussy-ass teens. When I was a kid, we had beer bottles, shoes, and sofa fuzz on our pizza slices.

Hokeyboy 08-04-13 03:56 PM

The pizza was probably doing something illegal.

PenguinJoe 08-09-13 01:13 AM

Cops go to wrong house, taze homeowner.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F7zYKgDTuDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mabuse 08-09-13 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 11782070)
USCD student to get 4.1 million after being locked in a DEA holding room for 4 days with no food or water, forced to drink his own urine to survive.

The officers involved did go home safely though, and won't be charged.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...217596361.html

I just wanted to revisit this one for a minute because the article has one of my favorite quotes that always gets said when these fuck up cops do something awful:

More than a year later the DEA that put him there is paying the price.
WE are paying the price mother fucker! It's our fucking tax money thay you're using to settle out of court with. Why is the press so comfortable using language like this? The DEA is paying nothing. IT'S OUR FUCKING MONEY YOU PRICKS!!!

inri222 08-09-13 12:38 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SlvC-RPYlz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PenguinJoe 08-12-13 10:39 PM

Vet With Disabilities, Kicked Off New Jersey Boardwalk By Police For Using Service Dog

Jared Goering, a 19-year war veteran, was kicked off of a New Jersey boardwalk by police just for taking a stroll with the service dog who helps him get around, NBC40 reported.

The frustrated former servicemen who suffers from PTSD and a number of other medical issues was slapped with a summons by a police officer on the North Wildwood boardwalk on Thursday night as he took a walk with his wife and service dog, Navigator, according to NBC40. The police officer reportedly mocked Goering and asked if all vets get service dogs.

"Just like any veteran with disabilities with a service dog, to come back and be harassed and shown no respect, it upset me - it really bothered me," Goering told the news outlet. "I was up most of the night thinking about it."

While serving in Afghanistan, Goering’s vehicle was blown up twice in a 36-hour period, a traumatizing experience that has caused him mobility and emotional issues that his dog helps him cope with.

Goering and his wife said they went public with their horrifying experience because they want to raise awareness about the varying roles service dogs play. Police are looking into the case, NBC40 reports.

While this story is certainly infuriating, it’s not the first time that a serviceman who injured himself while serving his country has been subjected to such demeaning treatment.

During an unexpected three-day layover at Dulles International Airport last summer, Jim Stanek said he was verbally abused and his service dog was mistreated, according to a testimony he gave in a YouTube video.

Stanek, who served three tours in Iraq and has a traumatic brain injury and PTSD, said his dog was kicked twice by two separate United Airlines employees and one went so far as to ask if he were “retarded” because he couldn’t stand in line with everyone else, a result of his disability.

"You can't see all my wounds but i still feel like I need to be treated appropriately,” Stankek said in the video. “I'm not asking for a red carpet, but just treat me the way that I need to be treated."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000009

JimRochester 08-13-13 05:02 AM

It amazes me anyone would treat another person like that let alone someone in authority to a veteran