DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Vibiana 11-26-20 10:53 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

I've always found it deliciously ironic that the same people who are absolutely rabid about the idea of government overreach seem to be perfectly fine with vigilante justice.

Tom Banjo 11-27-20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vibiana (Post 13849445)
I've always found it deliciously ironic that the same people who are absolutely rabid about the idea of government overreach seem to be perfectly fine with vigilante justice.

It’s not vigilante justice if you call yourself a militia!

Josh-da-man 12-18-20 09:55 AM

Kansas police officer runs down and runs over a fleeing black suspect with his truck...

The kicker? The guy fleeing the police is recently retired Kansas City Police detecive. And his wife is a cop, too.

inri222 12-18-20 10:59 AM

Should've shot a minority instead.

Marblehead Police Officer Resigns After Allegedly Carving Swastika Onto Fellow Officer's Vehicle

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...hicle/2259561/

Draven 12-18-20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13849364)
Better analogy would be if you were driving without a license and a child molester ran out in front of your car.

The best analogy would be that you took your gun out to shoot some people and then you killed some.

Giantrobo 12-18-20 03:48 PM

Shit, I thought Mayor Lightfoot might be cool. I guess she is part of "The System" too. :(

Chicago mayor criticized after city lawyers try to suppress video of botched police raid

The mayor of Chicago was under fire Wednesday following revelations that city lawyers had tried to block a local TV station from airing body-camera video of police handcuffing a naked Black woman during a botched raid last year.

The video of police officers smashing open the door of Anjanette Young’s townhouse in February 2019 and mistakenly detaining the social worker was obtained by the local CBS affiliate and aired Monday evening over the city’s objections.

“I don’t believe it’s fair that the city has spent the last two years telling me they did nothing wrong, not holding the officers accountable, not working with my attorneys to figure out how to resolve this,” an angry Young said Wednesday.

Asked what she would say to Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Young said: “I was there when you came to my church, and I voted for you. I told people to vote for you.”“I believed in you as a black woman running for mayor,” she added. “I want you to come back to my church and tell me and the people in my church how you’re going to fix this. It’s not OK.”

Ja’Mal Green, a community activist, scoffed at Lightfoot’s claim that she wasn’t aware of what happened to Young or that her legal team had tried to stop CBS from broadcasting the video.

“How are you suppressing videos and the mayor don’t know about it?” Green said. “She has to be held accountable.”

JasonF 12-18-20 05:21 PM

It's entirely plausible to me that the mayor doesn't know about the efforts to suppress this video. People in large organizations hide stuff from their superiors all the time. That said, she's the mayor, and is ultimately responsible and needs to be held to task for what her administration is doing.

Nick Danger 12-19-20 09:14 AM

I think that when it reaches the point that the Chicago PD's lawyers are fighting the plaintiff in federal court, a federal judge court forces the city to turn over the video to her, and local CBS news is also fighting to see the video, the mayor's office is probably aware of it.

Nick Danger 12-19-20 09:27 AM

The video that CPD tried to suppress.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/12...ng-wrong-raid/

JasonF 12-19-20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 13860366)
I think that when it reaches the point that the Chicago PD's lawyers are fighting the plaintiff in federal court, a federal judge court forces the city to turn over the video to her, and local CBS news is also fighting to see the video, the mayor's office is probably aware of it.

Lightfoot, who promised to bring more transparency and accountability to the Chicago Police Department when she was elected in April 2019, insisted Wednesday that she was not aware city lawyers had tried to suppress the video.

"Filing a motion against a media outlet to prevent something from being published is something that should rarely, if ever, happen," she said during a news conference. "And had I been advised that this was in the works, I would have stopped it in its tracks. This is not how we operate. Period."
Yes, I agree, she should have known. And maybe she did and she's lying. Or maybe people hid this from her. To be clear, either way, she should be held accountable because it's her administration, but the form of that accountability may be different depending on who within the administration knew what, and when they knew it. There needs to be a full and independent investigation. My only point is that given what I know about Lightfoot and given what I know about how Chicago city government works, I don't know that I'm prepared to say Lightfoot approved or knew of this attempt to cover things up.

Abob Teff 12-20-20 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13859883)
Kansas police officer runs down and runs over a fleeing black suspect with his truck...

The kicker? The guy fleeing the police is recently retired Kansas City Police detecive. And his wife is a cop, too.

This one is not making any sense to me. The video is pretty clear and speaks for itself. How we got to that point is making no sense though.

The former police officer is on his way home from a business trip to California and gets pulled over late at night in western Kansas (by a Hispanic police officer) for what he feels is a BS stop. All of the sudden three more police vehicles arrive with their lights off.

The next thing we have is a video showing (this is what I am seeing) the former police officer (who said he “freaked out”) is running almost naked — barefoot, no shirt, and with a pair of large earphones on — through a field where another police officer runs him over with a truck.

There is a lot not making sense to me on this. Can anybody fill in details that I am not finding in the media?

Abob Teff 12-20-20 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 13860144)
It's entirely plausible to me that the mayor doesn't know about the efforts to suppress this video. People in large organizations hide stuff from their superiors all the time. That said, she's the mayor, and is ultimately responsible and needs to be held to task for what her administration is doing.

I can agree with your comments JasonF, but what bothers me is the inconsistency on this. I am not saying “you” but in general. Any other time the public is screaming for the heads of anybody they can get and do not want to take the time to get the facts.

No, I don’t believe the Mayor knew initially about this. But how did she react once she did? That’s damning. As the victim said (paraphrasing): “I voted for her, I listened to her at my church. I’m still waiting for her to come back and tell us what she is doing to fix this.”

You are absolutely correct that large institutions are full of kingdoms and fiefdoms full of deceptions aimed at keeping the lord’s power. Information does not flow outward because the lord doesn’t want people above him to know what is happening. From an organizational development and behavior perspective, I have seen it over and over and over again.

inri222 12-31-20 03:33 PM

Fuck this sadistic mother fucker!

Abob Teff 12-31-20 06:51 PM

Well, the dog did appear to be black or brown.

movieguru 01-05-21 11:07 AM

cop arrests guy after reporting a guy was unconscious on the side of railroad tracks. Cop arrests him again after the guy says he will be filing a complaint against him.

Troy Stiffler 01-05-21 10:51 PM

That sucks. It's common that people with a warrant to avoid confrontation, even when they need help, or want to help.

In example, I have a friend who voided a shoplift charge 5+ years ago. She has a warrant that she can't afford to address (with money, or the possible jail time). So she has to avoid any sort of communication with any authorities.

JasonF 01-05-21 11:58 PM

No charges against the police officer who shot Jacob Blake in the back 7 times, leaving him paralyzed and setting off riots in Kenosha.

Dan 01-10-21 11:37 AM

This is an excellent twitter thread from October in regard to the "back the blue" flag and movement in general. I especially appreciate had point about how the flag represents multiple things, one of which is honoring the loss of officers killed on duty, but that wasn't the original intent.

asianxcore 01-10-21 11:49 AM

Do any of these idiots realize that in the comic books, The Punisher absolutely hated cops.

He represents institutions like the Police not being able to act in a just way but whatever looks cool right? :lol:

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 13868834)
No charges against the police officer who shot Jacob Blake in the back 7 times, leaving him paralyzed and setting off riots in Kenosha.

Ugh. :wacko:

Every time this happens (it's disgusting that I have to say every time), I hope for justice and consistently leave disappointed.

Abob Teff 01-10-21 07:29 PM

No, they don’t. It’s like Trump playing “Fortunate Son” without any clue what it is actually about.

Agreed on the Jacob Blake case. I though that was a pretty clear cut case, but there were details I did not know. Here is a very good article on the systemic issues that led to the decision: https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...d-jacob-blake/

Michael Corvin 01-10-21 09:34 PM

Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer just hired a new police chief behind closed doors. Yea! Cleaning up the shit show! Mayor Fischer: Hold my beer.

Fischer hired Erika Shields, the disgraced Atlanta police chief that was in charge when Rayshard Brooks was murdered.

https://www.wlky.com/article/slap-in...lmpd/35141942#

Baron Of Hell 01-24-21 02:19 PM

Cop arrest guy for collecting signatures.

“The conduct and actions of this case, in which Mr. Marshall was collecting signatures, does not represent our commitment to our community,” said the Calhoun County’s Sheriff’s Office in a statement on Friday announcing the deputy’s termination. “The actions that Mr. Marshall took that day of circulating a petition are protected by our constitution.”
bad cop bad cop what you gonna do

The cop made up a crime and violently arrested him. Oddly he was collecting signatures to do something about cops harassing black people. Probably why the cop targeted him. Nice that the cop was fired but he will get his job back in a week or so. Also we all know if he wasn't taped he wouldn't have been fired and Marshall might still be in jail.

Baron Of Hell 02-02-21 05:14 AM

Police handcuff and pepper a nine year old girl. Note police took selfies with terrorists at the attack on our Capitol.
Police in fear of life from little girl.

The police department in Rochester, N.Y., released body-camera footage on Sunday that showed a 9-year-old girl being handcuffed and pepper-sprayed by police officers who had responded to a family disturbance call.

During the incident, which occurred Friday afternoon, officers restrained the girl, pushing her into the snow in order to handcuff her, while she screamed repeatedly for her father, the footage showed.

At one point, an officer said, “You’re acting like a child.” She responded, “I am a child.”

JasonF 02-03-21 04:43 PM

I think this is where we were discussing Kyle Rittenhouse ...

Giantrobo 02-03-21 04:53 PM

Woooooow I'm not shocked at all. But wooooooow