DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

andicus 08-28-20 01:21 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13796738)
He's white. White and awesome! :sarcasm:

He should be president. Just ask any ghoul.

Neil M. 08-28-20 01:28 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by grip (Post 13796734)
I dont necessarily agree with you but ok, you say police officers shouldn't wait to see what is potentially being grabbed at. So, why then did they completely pass up a young man, carrying a live weapon walking away from a crime scene TOWARDS their vehicle with his hands on his weapon at least four times? What was the difference there?

I'm currently starting a long work shift so I don't have the ability to have a discussion right now. I'll gladly discuss it as soon as I can though. I honestly don't know all of what happened there so I would need to educate myself.

fujishig 08-28-20 01:40 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796683)
You're ignoring the facts. That's your right to do but it doesn't mean you are correct.


Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 13796745)
I'm currently starting a long work shift so I don't have the ability to have a discussion right now. I'll gladly discuss it as soon as I can though. I honestly don't know all of what happened there so I would need to educate myself.

I don't know how you can say people are ignoring the facts when you don't know the facts, but that aside I look forward to your return to the thread once you read up on it.

Coral 08-28-20 01:42 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13796738)
He's white. White and awesome! :sarcasm:

Exactamundo. Change the colour of his skin and they'd be emptying their guns on him.

It's amazing and ironic that at a protest about the unfair treatment of black people by the police, we get a perfect real-world example of that unfair treatment when a white guy carrying an AR-15 who just shot/killed someone can take a lovely stroll by the police like he was invisible.

Draven 08-28-20 01:57 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13796752)
Exactamundo. Change the colour of his skin and they'd be emptying their guns on him.

It's amazing and ironic that at a protest about the unfair treatment of black people by the police, we get a perfect real-world example of that unfair treatment when a white guy carrying an AR-15 who just shot/killed someone can take a lovely stroll by the police like he was invisible.

And in the same town, no less. Can't even use the "it's not like that here!" excuse.

I've mentioned this before, but I recently rewatched The Shield and there was a whole situation where they shot someone they thought had a gun and it was a cell phone. These corrupt detectives were freaking out about how they were going to cover it up. In 2020, they'd be hailed as heroes because that cell phone could have been a gun.

story 08-28-20 03:31 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
That's an interesting thought. One of my favorite films ever is Cop Land and there's something similar there, too.

maxfisher 08-28-20 04:13 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Similar storyline in Person of Interest too, except a good cop shoots a suspect wielding a gun and the bad cops ruin her career by removing it from the crime scene. Those would be some exceptionally dumb bad cops these days.

fujishig 08-28-20 04:20 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Full disclosure, apparently he was under arrest for a previous warrant and posted bail.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/doj-rel...icers-at-scene

In a news conference on Friday, Aug. 28, Kenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis noted Jacob Blake was under the guard of an outside agency.

To that end, the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office tweeted about the situation on Friday. They said, "From August 23 to Friday, August 28, while receiving treatment at a local hospital, Mr. Jacob Blake remained in custody on a Kenosha County felony arrest warrant issued in July...Earlier today, Mr. Blake posted the bond underlying the arrest warrant, enabling his release from custody. The hospital watch was discontinued immediately after receiving this information from Kenosha authorities."

Nausicaa 08-28-20 05:08 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by grip (Post 13796734)
I dont necessarily agree with you but ok, you say police officers shouldn't wait to see what is potentially being grabbed at. So, why then did they completely pass up a young man, carrying a live weapon walking away from a crime scene TOWARDS their vehicle with his hands on his weapon at least four times? What was the difference there?

Just playing devil's advocate because I agree with the general point you're making - but there is a difference between beat cops on foot and riot police and national guard driving around in APCs. In the videos I don't recall even seeing any officers on foot, just the APCs driving by. A beat cop is going to feel more threatened than one in the safety of an armored vehicle.

But yeah, it's outrageous he wasn't arrested, and outrageous the police were shown to be encouraging the participation of this militia. Their actions are shameful and heads need to roll at the PD for allowing it happen.

Josh-da-man 08-28-20 05:43 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by grip (Post 13796734)
I dont necessarily agree with you but ok, you say police officers shouldn't wait to see what is potentially being grabbed at. So, why then did they completely pass up a young man, carrying a live weapon walking away from a crime scene TOWARDS their vehicle with his hands on his weapon at least four times? What was the difference there?

Because a white man with a gun is seen as a force of righteousness.

A black man who might have a knife or other weapon is seen as up to no good.

Why So Blu? 08-28-20 06:28 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13796842)
Because a white man with a gun is seen as a force of righteousness.

A black man who might have a knife or other weapon is seen as up to no good.


:thumbsup:

grip 08-28-20 07:00 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Nausicaa (Post 13796836)
Just playing devil's advocate because I agree with the general point you're making - but there is a difference between beat cops on foot and riot police and national guard driving around in APCs. In the videos I don't recall even seeing any officers on foot, just the APCs driving by. A beat cop is going to feel more threatened than one in the safety of an armored vehicle.

But yeah, it's outrageous he wasn't arrested, and outrageous the police were shown to be encouraging the participation of this militia. Their actions are shameful and heads need to roll at the PD for allowing it happen.

Want to clarify - according to the video that I saw, He walked not only to the armored vehicles, but also to a police officer cruiser. At about 2:30 of the embedded video here (CNN coverage ) you see he walks up to a police cruiser and reaches for the stock of his gun.

He was told something as he backed away quickly with his hands up. but then the car seems to proceed without questioning him further.

This is just a matter of clarification, I don't wish to argue but to show what I'm seeing.

Coral 08-28-20 08:01 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by grip (Post 13796878)
He was told something as he backed away quickly with his hands up. but then the car seems to proceed without questioning him further.

Yea, I saw that. He walked up right beside the police cruiser with his AR-15 slung across his body and actually had his hands down near the gun where it looked like he could be reaching for it - and I think that's when they may have told him to either keep his hands up or to step back (or both). It's incredible the amount of trust extended to him by the cops. As I said earlier, if he were black - he wouldn't have even made it that far... he'd be riddled with bullets. And certainly if a black person was near a police cruiser with their hands anywhere close to the gun - it would be game over for him.

Red Hood 08-30-20 01:29 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
For the idiots that keep spouting "If JaCoB BlAkE hAd CoMpLiEd, He WoUlDn'T hAvE gOtTeN sHoT"


Psi 08-30-20 01:36 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13797631)
For the idiots that keep spouting "If JaCoB BlAkE hAd CoMpLiEd, He WoUlDn'T hAvE gOtTeN sHoT"

But I heard him say "OK" several times. That's complying, isn't it?

Why So Blu? 08-30-20 01:43 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13797631)
For the idiots that keep spouting "If JaCoB BlAkE hAd CoMpLiEd, He WoUlDn'T hAvE gOtTeN sHoT"

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...880034315?s=20


White motherfucking privilege in every sense of the goddamn word.

Sdallnct 08-30-20 01:54 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13797631)
For the idiots that keep spouting "If JaCoB BlAkE hAd CoMpLiEd, He WoUlDn'T hAvE gOtTeN sHoT"

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...880034315?s=20

Hummmm.....something seems different.....I canít exactly put my figure on it. Something is different between Blake and this dude...let me think, cause...itís on the tip of my tongue....

Unclejosh 08-30-20 04:30 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I would have no problem if the cop in that clip killed that white dude. Fuck that white guy.

I realize that isn't the point that is attempting to be made, don't get me wrong. I get the difference.

Red Hood 08-31-20 07:34 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Again, more evidence for those in the back that didn't hear it the first time around because they were yelling bullshit Fox lies


Coral 08-31-20 08:47 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
^ That first one... I hope they sue the police department and those racist pigs get fired.

The second one... the guy didn't comply and went back to his truck - I was waiting for him to get shot in the back 7 times but it didn't happen... I can't figure out why.

Psi 08-31-20 11:47 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Google Translate says it means no.


Asked whether Trump has spoken to Jacob Blake's family, Kayleigh McEnany says, "We are efforting outreach, have not been able to connect yet."

fujishig 08-31-20 11:55 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
I have a hard time blaming cops for doing the right thing and not shooting people right away, but I completely understand the sentiment.

andicus 08-31-20 01:08 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13798056)
I have a hard time blaming cops for doing the right thing and not shooting people right away, but I completely understand the sentiment.

Yeah, that's tough. It sounds like (and I know it's not the case) people are saying these cops should've shot the people that are resisting them, but of course the whole point is that they shouldn't, within reason.


Baron Of Hell 08-31-20 04:32 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Come on people there is a big difference in those two videos. The white guy threaten to kill the cop, That is a sign of respect to cops. A guy telling you he is going to kill you means he believes you are worthy. The black guy turned his back on the cop and never once said he was going to kill him. Can you imagine how disrespectful that is. I always say anyone that doesn't threaten a cops life doesn't deserve to live in this world. God hates those types of people.

inri222 09-01-20 09:08 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread
 
Cops being racist, you don't say?

NYPD Defends "Challenge Coins" That Call East Flatbush Precinct "Fort Jah"

https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-defe...cinct-fort-jah


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.