DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

PerryD 08-27-20 11:06 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13796060)
^ two minor corrections that the NYTimes posted in regard to that. 23:19 should be 23:49. "Assault rifle" should be "AR-15 style rifle"

But otherwise, yeah... seems like someone else fired a 'warning shot' in the midst of shit going down. As they say, "It’s unclear why Rittenhouse was being chased or why he was in the area of this car dealership about four blocks away from the one he claimed to be protecting."
Knowing what led to him being chased could be the key to it. But, in no way am I justifying his use of a deadly weapon to murder two people and injure another. It was excessive and unnecessary, and it sounds like he either lied about or misrepresented why he was there in the first place since he was 4 blocks away from his stated destination. Maybe more footage or something will explain it.

Considering the number of embedded reporters, I would think more of the story will come out. I'm hearing too much misinformation on the original shooting along with this story, I'm withholding massive amounts of judgement, but there is already a ton of video (like the Dave's NY Times link) that definitely show opportunity for self defense on all of the shootings by the teen.

That first guy (in the red shirt) that was shot by the teenager also appears to be a racist POS (with a rumor laundry list of criminal behavior). He is in this video a few minutes before the shooting, yelling at a apparent black militia member telling him to "shoot me **********" at the one minute mark

Coral 08-27-20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13796002)
It's amazing what you can bring yourself to comment on while ignoring everything else about the police behavior leading up to his arrest. I know you can't, because you pick and choose the smallest little details that you can maybe try to feel superior about while ignoring the broader narrative.

I think his approach is "If I ignore it - then it didn't happen".

Bandoman 08-27-20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13796071)
Considering the number of embedded reporters, I would think more of the story will come out. I'm hearing too much misinformation on the original shooting along with this story, I'm withholding massive amounts of judgement, but there is already a ton of video (like the Dave's NY Times link) that definitely show opportunity for self defense on all of the shootings by the teen.

That first guy (in the red shirt) that was shot by the teenager also appears to be a racist POS (with a rumor laundry list of criminal behavior). He is in this video a few minutes before the shooting, yelling at a apparent black militia member telling him to "shoot me **********" at the one minute mark
https://twitter.com/_GlenGarry/statu...97314455928832

That gets a big "so the fuck what" from me. If you show up as a counter-protestor at a protest and you're carrying a semi-automatic long gun, that in itself is a provocation. You mean to start some shit.

Dan 08-27-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13796106)
That gets a big "so the fuck what" from me. If you show up as a counter-protestor at a protest and you're carrying a semi-automatic long gun, that in itself is a provocation. You mean to start some shit.

:up:
Not only that, but he's a minor, so wHeRe ArE tHe PaReNts or do we only reserve that for other people?

PerryD 08-27-20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13796106)

By all accounts, the kid responded for help defend businesses under attack from rioters. The rioters were in the midst of setting fires and the militia were putting the fires out just before the attack in question. That first guy that attacked him was a clearly a racist based his use of the N-word and he's even rumored to be a convicted child molester. The kid is 17 in a state that requires you to be 16 to carry a rifle.

But, I agree that people that would respond to a call to arms to defend businesses against rioters are either patriotic or looking for a fight.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds and whether the kid has some hidden skeletons (other than attending a Trump rally)

Noonan 08-27-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13796131)
By all accounts, the kid responded for help defend businesses under attack from rioters. The rioters were in the midst of setting fires and the militia were putting the fires out just before the attack in question. That first guy that attacked him was a clearly a racist based his use of the N-word and he's even rumored to be a convicted child molester. The kid is 17 in a state that requires you to be 16 to carry a rifle.

But, I agree that people that would respond to a call to arms to defend businesses against rioters are either patriotic or looking for a fight.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds and whether the kid has some hidden skeletons (other than attending a Trump rally)

What you're saying is, you've had Fox News on all day?

Red Hood 08-27-20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13796131)

The minimum age for open carry in Wisconsin is 18 years old. The kid is 17. Do the math.

maxfisher 08-27-20 01:19 PM

By the end of the year, I fully expect some piece of shit to show up armed at a protest, scream the N word at the protestors and then shoot them in preemptive self defense. I also expect that person to be defended by the exact same group of people defending this 17-year-old.

spainlinx0 08-27-20 01:23 PM

And, unsurprisingly, he was a member of a youth police cadet program. A big shock there. He certainly doesn't fit the profile of someone who wants to be a cop.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/us/ke...ect/index.html

PerryD 08-27-20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13796132)
What you're saying is, you've had Fox News on all day?

I've never watched Fox News. But are you suggesting that only Fox News viewers would know that the kid shot a convicted child molester? I saw someone mention it and I didn't originally believe it, but then it's easily found on google which I did just now.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...964f9c9f8f.jpg

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13796133)
The minimum age for open carry in Wisconsin is 18 years old. The kid is 17. Do the math.

Okay, a quick google search had returned 16 for rifles and shotguns, but I'm fine with 18.

And I understand that the kid didn't know that the guy that was attacking him was a lifetime registered sex offender when he shot him, and I'm sure that won't help with any lighter sentence. The kid will be tried based on the evidence found in testimony of many witnesses and plenty of video. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Jeremy517 08-27-20 01:42 PM

He's talking about shoplifters.

Dan 08-27-20 01:44 PM

He will most definitely not bet convicted of first degree murder based on what's known. I doubt it'll be manslaughter, so... somewhere in between.

Draven 08-27-20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13796155)
He will most definitely not bet convicted of first degree murder based on what's known. I doubt it'll be manslaughter, so... somewhere in between.

I could see him cleared because they'll say it was "self-defense' and he's white. Notice how the cops didn't shoot him even though he had a gun and was moving away from where gunshots were just heard? But in Kenosha the guy is shot 7 times in the back because he opened his car door? That's what we're dealing with.

GoVegan 08-27-20 04:32 PM

I'm so glad I didn't have any access to firearms when I was 17. I'm not saying I would have done anything like this kid, but 17 year olds are fucking stupid. When I got a handgun and a concealed carry license, I put some serious thought into the different scenarios I could face and what to do in each of them, i.e., am I willing to potentially take someone's life to defend my property? No. Somebody else's property? Fuck no.

Mabuse 08-27-20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13796138)
By the end of the year, I fully expect some piece of shit to show up armed at a protest, scream the N word at the protestors and then shoot them in preemptive self defense. I also expect that person to be defended by the exact same group of people defending this 17-year-old.

It already happened in my town. Everything but the actual pulling of the trigger.

Mabuse 08-27-20 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 13796153)

As someone below that tweet points out, he sounds like Biden

Josh-da-man 08-27-20 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13796138)

He was exercising his First Amendment rights and feared for his life.

inri222 08-27-20 08:40 PM

Gun fetishists are always wishing that a situation comes up where they can have a legit excuse to shoot someone. We live in a sick society.

Josh-da-man 08-27-20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13796357)
Gun fetishists are always wishing that a situation comes up where they can have a legit excuse to shoot someone. We live in a sick society.

I remember being at the home of one of my uncles a while back... probably the mid-to-late 90s, and he had an NRA (I think it was the NRA) magazine. I picked it up and thumbed through it. In the front of it were a bunch of letters from readers about how they used their guns to defend themselves. It read like the Penthouse Forum for gun nuts. :lol:

Mabuse 08-27-20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13796426)
I remember being at the home of one of my uncles a while back... probably the mid-to-late 90s, and he had an NRA (I think it was the NRA) magazine. I picked it up and thumbed through it. In the front of it were a bunch of letters from readers about how they used their guns to defend themselves. It read like the Penthouse Forum for gun nuts. :lol:

Its always been that way. At least since the 90s.

Toddarino 08-28-20 03:29 AM

I can’t even take a break at work in the lunchroom anymore. So many people calling this guy a hero. So many saying Blake got what he deserved. How did these people, some of whom were friends , become this brainwashed in less than four years.

Draven 08-28-20 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13796480)
I cant even take a break at work in the lunchroom anymore. So many people calling this guy a hero. So many saying Blake got what he deserved. How did these people, some of whom were friends , become this brainwashed in less than four years.

They always thought it. They just never had the cover of the President agrees with me to openly admit it.

Josh-da-man 08-28-20 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13796486)
They always thought it. They just never had the cover of the President agrees with me to openly admit it.

Yes, they've really "come out of the closet" so to speak...

Toddarino 08-28-20 06:46 AM

I’d agree with that for most of them. Two work friends however, that would really surprise me. I never got a racist/sexist/I’m a piece of shit vibe from them.
It would be more sad if it wasn’t so surprising.

inri222 08-28-20 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13796497)
Id agree with that for most of them. Two work friends however, that would really surprise me. I never got a racist/sexist/Im a piece of shit vibe from them.
It would be more sad if it wasnt so surprising.

Same here. A couple of friends from the punk scene who at one time were homeless, hated the police and participated in protests are now defending cops, supporting Trump and telling protesters to go home and get a job. Fucking crazy