DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Toddarino 08-26-20 12:27 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13795533)
This is the gunman at the rally, right?

Have we heard from the actual police what they're doing about the shooting in the back?

They are investigating. The public needs to reserve judgement until they have all the facts.

fujishig 08-26-20 12:34 PM

This is nowhere near as serious as the shootings, but what in the world is going on in Indiana?

Basically the police held an active shooter drill at a school. Teachers knew about it but not what was going to happen. The police fake-executed the teachers, and the union is suing. Doesn't seem like a big deal except for the fact that they actually used air pellet guns at point blank range, and then you have their behavior:
https://www.kansas.com/news/nation-w...228230939.html

Teachers were told to “crouch down” before they were shot at with plastic pellets during a recent active-shooter drill at an Indiana school, according to a tweet from the Indiana State Teachers Association.

While four teachers at a time were in the room for the training, other teachers heard their screams, the union tweeted.

The teachers were terrified, but were told not to tell anyone what happened,” ISTA tweeted on Wednesday. “Teachers waiting outside that heard the screaming were brought into the room four at a time and the shooting process was repeated.”

Some teachers suffered welts, and “blood was drawn,” according to the association’s Twitter thread.
The Yahoo story has the alleged behavior:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/teachers-...220814776.html

“This is what happens when you just cower and do nothing,” one of the officers said, as he walked back and forth along the line of kneeling teachers, shooting them at point-blank “until his gun ran out of bullets,” according to the lawsuit.

Following one round of mock executions, one teacher described glaring back at the officers and “was shocked to find that they were grinning back at her.”

Between drills, teachers would quietly compare injuries. Often they were bleeding. Still, many said they didn’t feel they were allowed to opt out, and so continued to follow commands of the officer, the lawsuit says.

More exercises were held throughout the day -- a “run and hide drill,” a “barricade drill,” and a “counter-assault drill” -- with more shooting.

One teacher has “a permanent scar” on her stomach from being shot, the lawsuit says.

Another described hiding under a table to avoid any more pellets, but an officer found her and shot her three more times.

“Throughout the Rotating Drills, Officers repeatedly smirked, laughed, and joked, including in moments when teachers were being hit with bullets, crying out in pain, or demonstrating extreme fear,” according to the suit.

I have no idea
a) What kind of response they are trying to rain the kids/teachers for. "Don't cower in fear?"
b) How anyone justifies the use of airsoft pellets in these drills. Does that add some level of realism that is needed? The fact that they have to try to introduce a bill to get them to stop using airsoft pellets, and that it does not automatically pass through, is some BS.

story 08-26-20 01:00 PM

It's important to train all the 23-year-old fresh out of college teachers who wants to read The Hungry Caterpillar to Kindergartners and the 45-year-old mid-career teacher who wants to encourage his English students to make a video of themselves with their friends performing a scene from Hamlet and the 62-year-old teacher who has worked thousands of "overtime" hours to help countless 8th Graders get through earth science how to jump on someone pointing a gun.

Make them very afraid during the training, too. Let them feed on that fear and learn to use that adrenaline for something useful.

That's how we solve this.

spainlinx0 08-26-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13795547)
This is nowhere near as serious as the shootings, but what in the world is going on in Indiana?

Basically the police held an active shooter drill at a school. Teachers knew about it but not what was going to happen. The police fake-executed the teachers, and the union is suing. Doesn't seem like a big deal except for the fact that they actually used air pellet guns at point blank range, and then you have their behavior:

I have no idea
a) What kind of response they are trying to rain the kids/teachers for. "Don't cower in fear?"
b) How anyone justifies the use of airsoft pellets in these drills. Does that add some level of realism that is needed? The fact that they have to try to introduce a bill to get them to stop using airsoft pellets, and that it does not automatically pass through, is some BS.

You're assuming that cops have the brain capacity to think about their actions. Most cops could barely pass high school.

Psi 08-26-20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13795576)
You're assuming that cops have the brain capacity to think about their actions. Most cops could barely pass high school.

I think that a lot of police do a lot of bad things, but this is just wrong.

Dr. Mantle 08-26-20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 13795584)
I think that a lot of police do a lot of bad things, but this is just wrong.

Eh, it seems pretty accurate. No one would argue police departments are full of geniuse. And police (even the "good" ones) seem obsessed with covering their own asses above all else. That's the behavior of someone who never progressed to the mentality of an adult. And don't forget how attractive the job is to bullies and psychopaths.

Jeremy517 08-26-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 13795532)
Wonder if trump will pardon him at the RNC tonight.

It isn't a federal charge so Trump can't do anything.

Josh-da-man 08-26-20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13795504)
I hope they remember to take him to BK after they arrest him peacefully while he's armed with an assault rifle.

They're already kissing his ass...

"Last night a 17-year old individual from Antioch Illinois was involved in the use of firearms to resolve whatever conflict was in place."

Another poor, misunderstood white boy...

Nesbit 08-26-20 07:09 PM

We're so fucked

asianxcore 08-26-20 08:13 PM

I have no idea

As a teacher who has done more Active Shooter Trainings than I can count, I can assure to everyone, even without the level of macho bullshit displayed in Indiana, that the training is indeed very real for all of us involved.

It's emotionally taxing and it never gets easier no matter how many times I've gone through it.

I'm fortunate that the school I currently work for does not ask for local police to help with this but reaches out to an agency made up of former CIA agents whose entire purpose is to train faculty on being prepared.

In addition to that, they give suggestions on how each school can make their campuses physically safer with various upgrades that are customized for their campus layout.

fujishig 08-26-20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13795811)
As a teacher who has done more Active Shooter Trainings than I can count, I can assure to everyone, even without the level of macho bullshit displayed in Indiana, that the training is indeed very real for all of us involved.

It's emotionally taxing and it never gets easier no matter how many times I've gone through it.

I'm fortunate that the school I currently work for does not ask for local police to help with this but reaches out to an agency made up of former CIA agents whose entire purpose is to train faculty on being prepared.

In addition to that, they give suggestions on how each school can make their campuses physically safer with various upgrades that are customized for their campus layout.

Oh I have no doubt the training is real and (unfortunately) needed. I'm just questioning what lining people up execution style is supposed to teach. Are you supposed to rush the gunman if he's executing people? I thought the basic principles are get the heck out of there, if you can't, secure and hide, and if you can't do that, then confront. I don't know what the executions or using airsoft pellets really accomplishes (please tell me your trainings don't involve either of those)

asianxcore 08-26-20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13795823)
Oh I have no doubt the training is real and (unfortunately) needed. I'm just questioning what lining people up execution style is supposed to teach. Are you supposed to rush the gunman if he's executing people? I thought the basic principles are get the heck out of there, if you can't, secure and hide, and if you can't do that, then confront. I don't know what the executions or using airsoft pellets really accomplishes (please tell me your trainings don't involve either of those)

It doesn't serve a purpose. It's just more knuckle-dragging bullshit from cops.

Rushing the shooter (or shooters) is stupid as hell. These cops seem to forget that as teachers, we are responsible for keeping our kids safe as well. I'm not going to do anything that jeopardizes the safety or lives of my students.

Cops shooting people in their sleep or in the back and having the gall to anyone a coward :lol:

Nesbit 08-26-20 10:00 PM

I know we're supposed to comment on clips but don't know what I can add to this.

maxfisher 08-27-20 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man;[url=tel:13795778
13795778[/url]]They're already kissing his ass...

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/st...10512243322883

"Last night a 17-year old individual from Antioch Illinois was involved in the use of firearms to resolve whatever conflict was in place."

When people say there won’t be widespread incidents of violence if Trump loses and that his supporters are just military cosplayers, this is one of the types of dipshit they’re overlooking. I know this is conflating racism with support of Trump and the Republican Party, but really, they erased that line quite a while ago.

Red Hood 08-27-20 07:33 AM

Last night it was Tucker Carlson, then Aubrey Huff and now Ann Coulter. All these lunatics are making this murderer a hero

GoVegan 08-27-20 08:18 AM

All hail the child who was willing to put property over human lives! Murderer 2040!

DVD Polizei 08-27-20 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13795778)
They're already kissing his ass...

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/st...10512243322883

It's called making sure you aren't factually prejudiced.

What did you want him to say? "GUILTY! THAT KID MURDERED PEOPLE! HE MUST DIE! I can feel it in my heart!"

A Defense attorney's DREAM.

He's been charged with 1st Degree Intentional Homicide. The police tracked him down and arrested him.

What else do you want? I'm genuinely asking.

What's YOUR hypothetically-perfect statement by police you would want to hear. I want you to draft one for me if you can.

spainlinx0 08-27-20 08:58 AM

It's amazing what you can bring yourself to comment on while ignoring everything else about the police behavior leading up to his arrest. I know you can't, because you pick and choose the smallest little details that you can maybe try to feel superior about while ignoring the broader narrative.

GoVegan 08-27-20 09:07 AM

I think the Kenosha police should comment on this video, in which a militia member claims the police told him they were going to push the protesters toward the militia and let them deal with it, then leave:

Mabuse 08-27-20 09:13 AM

I have no idea

Hearing Airsoft gun Reminded me of this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...n-own-yard.amp

Expelled for the remainder of the school year for playing with an airsoft gun on their own private property before school. But cops bring them into the school and shoot them at teachers? Which is it?

Noonan 08-27-20 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13796016)
Hearing Airsoft gun Reminded me of this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...n-own-yard.amp

Expelled for the remainder of the school year for playing with an airsoft gun on their own private property before school. But cops bring them into the school and shoot them at teachers? Which is it?

Depends:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b24974f70a.jpg

Mabuse 08-27-20 09:31 AM

What I mean is are these dangerous weapons or not?

Noonan 08-27-20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13796027)
What I mean is are these dangerous weapons or not?

Irrelevant when cops let a kid who just shot black people with an AR15 walk by and go home for the night. The power of the weapon has nothing to do with it; all that matters is who's holding it. In the minds of these cops, pellet guns are non-lethal and useful tool when they have them and a reason to fear for their lives and shoot real guns when black people have them.

TheBigDave 08-27-20 10:01 AM

NY Times Visual Investigations has examined the Kyle Rittenhouse videos and they've put together a rough timeline of events. It's pretty interesting. You can see all the videos in the Twitter thread.

Spoiler:

A teenager faces charges in shootings that left 2 people dead in Kenosha, WI. The @nytimes Visual Investigations team reviewed hours of livestreams to track 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse’s movements during and leading up to the shootings.

In the hours before the shooting incident, @KristanTHarris, @RichieMcGinniss and @ElijahSchaffer all interviewed Rittenhouse, who said he was protecting a local vehicle dealership together with several other armed men. He also offers medical assistance to protesters.

Rittenhouse is around that area in most of the footage we reviewed. About 15 minutes before the first shooting, police drive past Rittenhouse, and thank the group he’s with. “We appreciate you guys, we really do,” they broadcast through the speakers of their armored vehicles.

Rittenhouse walks up to a police vehicle with his rifle slung and talks with officers. One tosses a water bottle to the armed men, as seen in @KristanTHarris's livestream.

Rittenhouse eventually leaves the dealership and is barred by the police from returning, as seen @Ruptly footage, six minutes before the shooting

To better understand what happened next, we synchronized 6 livestreams, which revealed that there were two separate shooting incidents, about one and a half minutes apart, involving multiple gunmen.

At 23:19, Rittenhouse is seen in this YouTube livestream. He's being chased into a parking lot. While he is being pursued, an unknown gunman fires the first shot into the air.

Rittenhouse turns toward the sound of the gunfire as another pursuer lunges toward him. He then fires four times with his assault rifle, and appears to shoot the man in the head.

The muzzle flash of the first shot by the unknown gunman and the smoke rising from the handgun can be seen in this video capturing the first shooting from a different angle.

It’s unclear why Rittenhouse was being chased or why he was in the area of this car dealership about four blocks away from the one he claimed to be protecting. We do know vehicles in this lot were damaged minutes before the first shooting.

The initial shot and Rittenhouse’s four subsequent discharges of his AR-15-style weapon are followed by three more shots in the parking lot — we don’t know who fired them. Rittenhouse seems to make a phone call and then flees the scene.

While fleeing from the scene, Rittenhouse is again chased by several people. He trips and falls to the ground and fires four shots as three people rush him. One person appears to be hit in the chest, while another, who is carrying a handgun, is hit in the arm.

At the same time, we hear at least 8 gunshots from farther away. Mr. Rittenhouse gets up and begins walking north from the scene, and 8 more gunshots are heard from closer range. It’s unclear who fired the other gunshots.

Police vehicles just one block away remain stationary during the gunfire. Rittenhouse walks with his hands up toward the police, as bystanders call out that he was involved in the shooting. The police drive by him to the scene of the shootings, without stopping.

Rittenhouse’s social media profiles proclaim support for pro-police causes like the Blue Lives Matter movement and Humanize the Badge. Other posts show him taking backyard target practice, posing with guns and assembling an military-style semi-automatic rifle.

Dan 08-27-20 10:40 AM

^ two minor corrections that the NYTimes posted in regard to that. 23:19 should be 23:49. "Assault rifle" should be "AR-15 style rifle"

But otherwise, yeah... seems like someone else fired a 'warning shot' in the midst of shit going down. As they say, "It’s unclear why Rittenhouse was being chased or why he was in the area of this car dealership about four blocks away from the one he claimed to be protecting."
Knowing what led to him being chased could be the key to it. But, in no way am I justifying his use of a deadly weapon to murder two people and injure another. It was excessive and unnecessary, and it sounds like he either lied about or misrepresented why he was there in the first place since he was 4 blocks away from his stated destination. Maybe more footage or something will explain it.