Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-02-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
I think it should go beyond that. In the Navy we are supposed to go on rotations that take us from what we call a sea tour to a shore tour. Basically this means we do 3-5 years of an operational "combat" tour (think deployments) and 3 years or so of staff duty (generally not deployed, working normal 8-5). This is because operational tours are stressful on both the member and their family. On a 5 year tour you could be gone for over half that time on deployments, work ups, and training events. Now with a near constant "war" since 02, we are generally seeing sea tours increase and shore tours decrease, but the mechanism is at least there.

For cops there is nothing like that. From what I've seen (and correct me if I'm wrong) you may become a higher ranking beat cop and can get some perks (choice in hours, maybe locals) but you are still out making arrest. In other words, you are operational your entire career. Cops need some sort of rotation as well that takes them out of the streets for awhile, lets them decompress and work a regular schedule (as well as time to get updated training) and then go back to an operational tour.
This is a great point and one I never considered. It makes sense but I wonder if cops would look at their “deployment” as “getting back to the war zone” too, which might have its own issues. Definitely something to consider.
Old 07-02-20, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 81 Likes on 75 Posts

Police officer filmed punching black woman at Miami International Airport

Welp, if you can't handle some back talk from a black woman, you're just not police officer material. Not only that, he said that she had headbutted him. The video shows otherwise. Well, she will be a future millionaire and that dude is out of a job. Rightfully so.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-of...112058658.html

The police department in Miami-Dade has dismissed two officers after one punched a black woman at Miami International Airport.

The department ordered an investigation into the incident on Wednesday night when a video – dated 1 July – was shared online.

Miami-Dade Police Director Alfredo Ramirez III wrote on Twitter that he was “shocked and angered” at the video, which showed an argument between two masked cops and one black woman.

Mr Ramirez III said on Wednesday that the video had been sourced via a police bodycam at the scene.

“Actions such as these undermine the hard work that we have invested in our community and causes my heart to break for our community and for the vast majority of our officers who dedicate their lives to serving our County,” said Mr Ramirez.

“I’ve immediately initiated an investigation and ordered that the involved officers be relieved of duty,” he added.

The video shows the black woman telling one Miami-Dade officer that he was “acting like you white when you really Black.”

She then approaches him and asks: “What you going to do?”

The officer hits the woman seconds later and pushes her to the floor of what appeared to be the check-in area at Miami’s international airport.

Two officers are seen to intervene, as the third Miami-Dade officer – wearing the bodycam – runs towards them and assists in her arrest.

The officer who threw the punch can be heard telling his colleagues that “she headbutted me”, despite the video suggesting otherwise.

Mr Ramirez added on Wednesday that Miami-Dade County attorney, Katherine Fernandez Rundle, has been asked to assist in the police department’s investigation.

The incident comes amid more than two months of nationwide protests against systemic racism and police violence since Minneapolis police killed George Floyd on 25 May.
Old 07-02-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
I think it should go beyond that. In the Navy we are supposed to go on rotations that take us from what we call a sea tour to a shore tour. Basically this means we do 3-5 years of an operational "combat" tour (think deployments) and 3 years or so of staff duty (generally not deployed, working normal 8-5). This is because operational tours are stressful on both the member and their family. On a 5 year tour you could be gone for over half that time on deployments, work ups, and training events. Now with a near constant "war" since 02, we are generally seeing sea tours increase and shore tours decrease, but the mechanism is at least there.

For cops there is nothing like that. From what I've seen (and correct me if I'm wrong) you may become a higher ranking beat cop and can get some perks (choice in hours, maybe locals) but you are still out making arrest. In other words, you are operational your entire career. Cops need some sort of rotation as well that takes them out of the streets for awhile, lets them decompress and work a regular schedule (as well as time to get updated training) and then go back to an operational tour.
In my city, Newport Beach, it works just like you describe the navy. You work patrol and then you transfer to “desk job” for a while and then you go back to patrol. I’m not sure what the timing is.
Old 07-09-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Let's see what happens to this one.

Old 07-12-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's an interesting infographic:

Seems like it is saying that 90% of cops who are convicted of some kind of "bad cop-ness" end up returning to work? that's nuts!
Old 07-16-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Cops don't give a shit anymore. They don't care they are being filmed and certainly there are no repercussions when they abuse the system like in the video below

Old 07-16-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starring one of LAPD’s finest bike bitches. So inept that subduing a handicap guy is hard for them.

Should have hit him with his helmet.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-17-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-16-20, 09:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

This is wild...

“Your Butt Is Perfect”: Those Austin Police Department Thank-You Cards Are Even Stranger Than You Thought
https://www.texasmonthly.com/politic...ank-you-cards/

On June 6, the Austin Police Department fired off a cheery message on Twitter. The tweet featured several photos of a stack of thank-you cards, purportedly from well-wishers who just wanted to cheer up the police officers.
“Please know that there are many who believe in you and stand with you,” one of the thank-you notes said. “Our prayers are for your safety and that this passes with positivity and not negativity. You have one of the toughest jobs. These people who are upset don’t understand.” Some of the cards had puppies and American flags on them. One card said, “thanks a Latte!”
Most were unsigned, and of those with signatures most did not include full names.
Of the approximately 185 cards obtained through the open records request, at least 30 were signed by the same person, a “Cheryl Walters,” sometimes appearing as “Cheryl and friends” or “Cheryl and family.” (Calls to five Austin-area phone numbers associated with the name Cheryl Walters were not returned.) About eight of the cards were signed by “the Monroe family,” and around nine were sent by “the Millers.”
Forty six of the cards had the same bizarre message, often typed and printed onto a page that was taped to the inside of the card:

In case you forgot to remind yourself this morning…

Your butt is perfect.

Your smile lights up the room.

Your mind is cool.

You are way more than enough.

You are doing a great job.
​​​​​​
Aside from the strange fixation on police posteriors, additional evidence suggests that the cards were sent from an alternate reality, where Austin police didn’t kill Mike Ramos or shoot peaceful protesters such as Levi Ayala and Justin Howell.

We’re in awe of police officer’s self-control and of how professionally you respond to extreme challenges.”

“We recognize your selflessness in serving our community. Thank you for working hard to keep us ALL safe—even when this country is in this state of turmoil. Thank you for your commitment to keep us safe. We are praying for you!”

“Heroes are remembered forever. Especially by those who care. Today those who are creating these tough times will be a bit in time. You will always be remembered as a hero.”

Some of the letters appeared to have been written by young children, with crudely drawn crayon messages. “Thank you! Jesus loves you!” two-year old Jillian wrote on one card, in squiggly blue and orange crayon.
I call bullshit on that last one. As if a 2yo could write coherently. Shenanigans!!

Old 07-16-20, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Cops don't give a shit anymore. They don't care they are being filmed and certainly there are no repercussions when they abuse the system like in the video below

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/sta...790247424?s=20
Not that any of this is humorous but it reminds me of the elite Miami bike cops:

Old 07-16-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something that should have been a ticket and move on became another example of police being violent dipshits

Old 07-17-20, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously, what the fuck?!? Why are people allowing this to happen? Were are all the right wingers that have bought guns for this type of tyranny from the government?

Old 07-17-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Not that any of this is humorous but it reminds me of the elite Miami bike cops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wud8ZgGTQyY
Guy in the center of frame couldn’t even get off the bike smoothly.

Here’s their role (roll) models.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-17-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-17-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[img]blob:https://forum.dvdtalk.com/38232f4c-f5d4-484e-bc31-a94fc41e85a5[/img]
Old 07-17-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-20-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Ex-Honolulu officer who forced homeless man to lick urinal sentenced to 4 years in prison

A former Honolulu police officer who forced a man to lick a urinal in a public bathroom was sentenced Wednesday to four years in prison.

John Rabago pleaded guilty in December to civil rights violations stemming from the January 2018 incident during which Rabago told the man that, "If you lick the urinal you won’t get arrested."

Rabago and another officer were responding to a nuisance complaint when they encountered the man, who was homeless, taking shelter in the public restroom.

U.S. District Judge Leslie Kobayashi said during Rabago's sentencing that the ex-officer had abused his power as a law enforcement official and took advantage of the man.

"You took from him his only possession: his dignity as a human being," Kobayashi said.

More on Hawaii case:Officers who allegedly forced homeless man to lick urinal indicted on civil rights violations

Rabago, 44, expressed remorse and apologized to the victim and his family.

"Two years ago I made a decision I’m not proud of," he said. "My actions changed the course of life for all of us."
Old 07-20-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

4 years isn't enough. What if the guy caught HIV?
Old 07-20-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 137 Likes on 101 Posts

Funny how they're only remorseful when they're caught and prosecuted.
Old 07-20-20, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

He should be sentenced to sleeping in public restrooms for the next six months.
Old 07-20-20, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Seriously, what the fuck?!? Why are people allowing this to happen? Were are all the right wingers that have bought guns for this type of tyranny from the government?

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/sta...488935936?s=20
Holy shit. Things aren’t good in Oregon. Good luck everyone. This is probably what the end looks like. Less theatrical than most people expect. #MAGA
Old 07-20-20, 09:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Holy shit. Things aren’t good in Oregon. Good luck everyone. This is probably what the end looks like. Less theatrical than most people expect. #MAGA
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper
Old 07-20-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
He should be sentenced to sleeping in public restrooms for the next six months.
Just throw him in genpop and let everyone know he's a cop.
Old 07-28-20, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Every single one of these Trump cops needs to go down once his dictatorship is over. All of them arrested with severe punishments

Old 07-28-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 81 Likes on 75 Posts

The defenders will say, what was a 14 year old girl doing rioting?
Old 07-29-20, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this is the case, then the Sheriff needs to be removed immediately for not doing his job

Old 07-29-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Coming to a town near you.

New York police officers force protester into unmarked van, video shows: 'NYC is taking after Portland'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eo/5534010002/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.