Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-16-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

I think this:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I think it is obvious someone is murdering ferguson protesters and it is probably someone on police force.
conflicts with this:
Who the F ties their hands together and then lights their car on fire to commit suicide.

Old 07-16-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I understand that this might be a bit conspiratorial, but the facts of the matter are chilling all the same...

https://twitter.com/bitchlovesbooks/...15776527736832

They have someone in custody for her murder.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/louisiana...192948094.html

Old 07-16-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
They have someone in custody for her murder.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/louisiana...192948094.html
We are a point now that anything a Louisiana police officer does is automatically corrupt until proven otherwise.
Old 07-17-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's an article on the man who was murdered two weeks ago locally and the link to donate again. Going to a city council meeting on the issue tonight. Will report back

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...TCD6fLaJp18HG8

https://www.gofundme.com/f/stonechil...qZbz6qVi2Azoyk
Old 07-19-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They are untouchable.

Cop Who Accidentally Shot 10-Year-Old When Aiming For Family Dog Can’t Be Sued, Federal Court Rules

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksib.../#21bd70a93987
Old 07-19-19, 11:22 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Cop Who Accidentally Shot 10-Year-Old When Aiming For Family Dog Can’t Be Sued, Federal Court Rules
Well, police did get a stern talking-to.

Although the court did mildly admonish the deputy (“we do not doubt that Vickers could have acted more carefully; the firing of a deadly weapon at a dog located close enough to a prone child that the child is struck by a trained officer’s errant shot hardly qualifies as conduct we wish to see repeated”), it nevertheless could not “conclude that no reasonable officer would have fired his gun at the dog under the circumstances.”
Old 07-21-19, 09:49 AM

They are untouchable.

I do hope they appeal to the Supreme Court- not because I have any hope they’d reverse the absurd ruling, but at least their votes will be recorded for posterity
Old 07-21-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are untouchable.

I think it's a sign of the apocalypse when real headlines are indistinguishable from Onion headlines.
Old 07-25-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the only type of people who get charged with accidental shootings:

13 year olds

owners of the gun who didn't even fire the gun
Old 07-25-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Sorraffy View Post
This is the only type of people who get charged with accidental shootings:

13 year olds

owners of the gun who didn't even fire the gun
Are you arguing the guy in that second article shouldn’t be punished? He left a loaded gun inside a WWII antique vehicle that was on display and a kid found it. That is horrible and totally negligent.
Old 07-26-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

is there a cops holding restraint thread? because those cops getting doused by water is kind of messed up
Old 07-26-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
is there a cops holding restraint thread? because those cops getting doused by water is kind of messed up
There are a couple, kind of along those lines...

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...te.html?624620
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...ad.html?613686
Old 07-26-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
If "restraint" means "didn't shoot anyone" then I guess they deserve credit.
Old 07-26-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If "restraint" means "didn't shoot anyone" then I guess they deserve credit.
they didnt even arrest anyone when it happen so thats what i meant. They literally walked away.
Old 07-26-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Florida cop runs down wheelie-popping black teen on bicycle — then officers shock him with a Taser

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/flo...-with-a-taser/
Old 07-26-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been listening to the Running from COPS podcast about the TV show COPS. It's pretty eye-opening what goes on on that show.
Old 07-26-19, 12:40 PM

I'm not in a place to listen right now but I'm intrigued, can you say more?
Old 07-26-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
I haven't listened to the podcast Draven mentioned but another podcast called "On The Media" had an episode about Cops as well. The gist of it is that Cops and Live PD use dirty tactics to get you to sign the release, going so far as to say that the arrest will be easier on them if they agree to be on the show.

They also show the arrest being made, in public. If you are on one of these shows people will see you and you'll get a reputation BEFORE any due process. The podcast I listened to mentioned a man and a woman that were busted on Cops for cocaine. The immediate fallout from the show airing made life difficult for them and it turned out that they didn't have cocaine at all and that the test the cops ran was a false positive.
Old 07-26-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The two types of cops: bad and silent

San Luis Obispo police chief accused of coverup over stolen gun

https://calcoastnews.com/2019/07/san...er-stolen-gun/
Old 07-26-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I haven't listened to the podcast Draven mentioned but another podcast called "On The Media" had an episode about Cops as well. The gist of it is that Cops and Live PD use dirty tactics to get you to sign the release, going so far as to say that the arrest will be easier on them if they agree to be on the show.

They also show the arrest being made, in public. If you are on one of these shows people will see you and you'll get a reputation BEFORE any due process. The podcast I listened to mentioned a man and a woman that were busted on Cops for cocaine. The immediate fallout from the show airing made life difficult for them and it turned out that they didn't have cocaine at all and that the test the cops ran was a false positive.
But hey, at least they were on television, that's the most important part of it for some people, being "famous".

Old 07-27-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story View Post
It’s all about stuff like that the “consent” form may or may not be actually used (like they say they wait 6 hours before asking for consent so people can sober up but might actually only wait like 2 and have even approached subjects in the back of cop cars with the police right there and the people might think that signing a “release form” actually will get them released.) They show massive disparities between what happens on the show and what actually happens. For example, 2% of traffic stops end with an arrest. On COPS, it’s 92%. You only get the cop’s side of the stories.

One guy had the cops and the LivePD cameras show up around him like 5 times trying to catch him doing something and what they aired ended up being when he finally snapped. They also said he was a certified gang member, when that made it into the computer when he was 13 (and he said that was a mistake, that he’s not in a gang) and now he’s 41 and has kids and a house and because he had on a blue shirt the cops claimed he was flashing his colors. The cop told the camera that he was a gang member. And of course the guy doesn’t get a chance to refute that. It came out in these interviews afterwards.

Also they had a lawyer watch episodes and he was just like “yeah they can’t do that, that’s against the Constitution, that’s illegal” and on and on. Like the cops would sic a K9 on someone for just running away (no weapons, no threats) and he was dragged out of a bush by the dog who had his teeth around the man’s throat. Like...the cops just can’t do that. And afterwards they were complaining to the suspect about all the paperwork they now had to do. Like THAT was the horrible part of the whole thing.

The gist is that the show is a very skewed look at what policing actually is but the creators literally call it a documentary and not manipulative or untrue at all.
Old 07-27-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

And the show has been ubiquitous for 30 years. It has fundamentally altered how a couple generations of America view the police.

Seek out the This American Life episode on the subject. It canabalized all the important parts from the much longer podcast. I found the original podcast overlong after hearing This American Life’s re-edit.
Old 07-28-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-28-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if a private citizen made this bogus claim, called in the media and only walked it back a week later after a police investigation, I imagine there’d be some pretty negative consequences. Lawsuit by McDonalds? Charges for filing a false report? Potentially getting fired, assuming they’d dragged their employer into the limelight? What are the odds officer dipshit goes through any of that?
Old 07-30-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The cops stopped him for no reason, the first one says then that it's for speeding while trying to arrest him and then the backup comes in and grabs the black guy by the neck and slams him to the ground. Let's say that the guy was actually speeding. Is that reason enough for an arrest and not a simple speeding ticket? These cops, like many, are scared white rednecks with a gun, badge and power

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.