Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 02-20-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

What in the fuck is wrong with these guys?

Delaware state trooper appears to pull gun on driver in traffic stop, video shows
"The Delaware State Police is aware of the video and it is currently under review," a state police spokesman told NBC News.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-video-n973596
Old 02-21-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m wondering why the first thing the officer ask him to do was to step out of the car. Has training/theory changed? I was taught the safest position for the officer was behind the driver with the driver seated.

That said, I have long been a critic of “tools of compliance” and this is an exact reason why. A police officer should NEVER draw his/her weapon as a tool of compliance. Then again, I don’t believe tases should be used as a tool of compliance either. They were introduced as alternatives to lethal force.

From what we are seeing, this officer was clearly in the wrong and he’s damned lucky nobody ended up hurt or dead.
Old 02-27-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This should be nationwide.
Then again, common sense is sometimes hard, especially when it benefits certain individuals.

Memphis lawmakers want to charge officers with felony for turning off body cameras

https://wreg.com/2019/02/25/memphis-...-body-cameras/
Old 02-27-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
This should be nationwide.
Then again, common sense is sometimes hard, especially when it benefits certain individuals.

Memphis lawmakers want to charge officers with felony for turning off body cameras

https://wreg.com/2019/02/25/memphis-...-body-cameras/
I don't even know why they have off switches.
Old 03-06-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do you do these things? Because I can.

NYPD Implemented Impromptu "Tow Away" Zone To Create Parking Spaces For Department's Flag Football Game

NYPD Implemented Impromptu "Tow Away" Zone To Create Parking Spaces For Department's Flag Football Game : Gothamist

Last edited by inri222; 03-06-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-06-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More "good" apples.

Chicago Officer Says He Faces Retaliation After Refusing to Falsify Police Report
Sgt. Isaac Lambert was assigned to investigate the August 2017 shooting of Ricardo "Ricky" Hayes by Sgt. Khalil Muhammad

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/nat...506687281.html
Old 03-07-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Above the law.

2 EX-NYPD DETECTIVES ADMITTED TO HAVING SEX WITH A TEEN AFTER ARRESTING HER. THEY WON’T FACE RAPE CHARGES.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...e-rape-charges
Old 03-07-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Above the law.

2 EX-NYPD DETECTIVES ADMITTED TO HAVING SEX WITH A TEEN AFTER ARRESTING HER. THEY WON’T FACE RAPE CHARGES.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...e-rape-charges
According to the article:
The Brooklyn DA’s Office explained Wednesday that prosecutors couldn’t ethically proceed with calling Chambers — a pseudonym used to protect her identity — as a witness because she’d changed her story several times, which put her at risk of perjury. Aside from the perceived credibility issues, the DA’s office couldn’t retroactively prosecute the 2017 case under a law that didn’t exist until March 2018, when New York lawmakers banned all sex, regardless of circumstances, between police officers and a person in their custody.
I don't think you can really charge someone with rape if you don't have a credible victim. And apparently there was no law on the books saying cops can't have sex with people in their custody. Weird. At least they've fixed that now.
Old 03-07-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post

I don't think you can really charge someone with rape if you don't have a credible victim. And apparently there was no law on the books saying cops can't have sex with people in their custody. Weird. At least they've fixed that now.
They shouldn't need a law to know that isn't a situation where consent is possible. As for the changing story, the article also says that could very well be the result of the trauma. It was things like not remembering which one assaulted her first.
Old 03-08-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cops pull guns out on black man picking up trash on his property.
Trash clamp is a deadly weapon.

You would think if 8 cops showed up and saw a guy with a trash bucket and a trash clamp that one of them could read the situation. Do criminals often go to random places and start picking up trash? If this is what it takes to pull guns out on someone what wont they pull guns out for?
Old 03-08-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Cops pull guns out on black man picking up trash on his property.
Trash clamp is a deadly weapon.

You would think if 8 cops showed up and saw a guy with a trash bucket and a trash clamp that one of them could read the situation. Do criminals often go to random places and start picking up trash? If this is what it takes to pull guns out on someone what wont they pull guns out for?
Well, he was suspicious (black) and probably armed (had a long pole that looks nothing like a gun in his hand).
Old 03-08-19, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post

What's even more disturbing, is there is evidence, Chambers reported this immediately to her mother:

Chambers's mom then immediately took her to Maimonides Medical Center for a rape kit, which returned positive results matching both men’s DNA.
I thought NYC would be less tolerant than other places...guess not. Coward prosecutor, too. Not to mention a coward Mayor and a coward CoP.
Old 03-08-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another one who's sorry he got caught.

Ex-DHS Police Sergeant Accused of Assaulting Man at Homeless Shelter, Stomping on His Head More Than 10 Times

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investiga...506831351.html
Old 03-14-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She definitely deserved this.

Old 03-18-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woman shot herself through mouth while handcuffed during traffic-stop suicide, officials say

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) -- A 19-year-old woman whose hands were cuffed behind her back when she committed suicide during a traffic stop in Chesapeake died of a gunshot wound through the mouth, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Sarah Wilson committed suicide on July 25, 2018, during a traffic stop near the intersection of Berkley Avenue and Wilson Road, according to the Chesapeake Police Department.

She was the passenger of a 1996 Lexus driven by her boyfriend, 27-year-old Holden Medlin. The couple were under the surveillance of two CPD officers -- one assigned to uniform patrol, and the other to vice narcotics -- when they were stopped around 4:24 p.m.

During the stop, the officers approached Wilson and Medlin separately. While one officer handcuffed Wilson with her hands behind her back, the other tried to detain Medlin, CPD Officer Leo Kosinski told WAVY in August.

Medlin resisted arrest, becoming combative and trying to flee the scene. That's when the officer who handcuffed Wilson left her outside of the car's passenger side and went to assist in Medlin's arrest, which involved using a Taser to subdue him, according to police.

Kosinski said in August that Wilson was handcuffed with her arms behind her back when she got the gun out of the Lexus, "contorted" her body and shot herself in the head.

On Thursday, the OCME of Tidewater confirmed to WAVY that Wilson did commit suicide, and that she died from an "intra-oral gunshot wound."

The CPD launched an internal investigation into Wilson's suicide in July. Kosinski confirmed that the department has since concluded that investigation, but declined to comment on its outcome.

Medlin was arrested in connection to the traffic stop after he swallowed a "golf-ball" sized-bag with an unknown substance in it. Police searched the car and found 11 oxycodone, a syringe, drug paraphernalia, a rifle, and several boxes of ammunition, according to court documents.

He was charged with possession of oxycodone, possession of suboxone, possession of paraphernalia, possession of a firearm with a schedule I or II drug, fleeing from a law enforcement officer, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Those charges were certified to a grand jury on Tuesday.
https://www.wric.com/amp/news/virgin...say/1850161292

Old 03-18-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I cannot even fathom the mechanics necessary for this to be true. The only way it works if she got her hands in front of her (which I fully expected the article to say). So if they left that detail out, it's still bizarre but at least plausible. If they were still behind her back, then I have no idea how this happened. And, shocking no one, a different article I saw said the body camera footage is useless because the camera was "knocked off" in the struggle. Again, shocking.
Old 03-19-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh if the bodycam was knocked off why not show the bodycam getting knocked off and footage afterward even if it is of the floor. That would at least prove the cop wasn't lying about the camera being knocked off since it sounds like he is lying.
Old 03-19-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the type of story where I laugh at people who say things like, "there are 60 million interactions a day with police, of course there's going to be bad ones. Most cops are great."

Where was the dashcam footage? It was a traffic stop. Where were the bodycams of the other officers? But the cops aren't dirty right? They don't protect each other? Every single cop involved with that situation sounds pretty dirty to me. But then again, I guess we don't know she didn't shoot herself in the face while handcuffed. I mean, that does seem plausible. Let's not presume any officer guilt at any time. It's a tough job.
Old 03-19-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Woooow, His own fuckin' Mother was gonna take the hit for him!

An off-duty officer fled DUI crash, then let his mom try to take the blame, records show

South Pasadena Police Cpl. Ryan Bernal realized he was in trouble.

Dazed from a night of drinking, he was jolted awake when his pickup truck smashed into a pole that fell on the patio roof of an occupied house in Duarte, internal police records show. So the off-duty officer drove his truck around the block, walked to a nearby Walmart and slipped away in a ride-hailing service vehicle. The next morning, he showed up at a Los Angeles County sheriff’s station with his mother, who falsely claimed she had been behind the wheel, investigators said.

But here is even more FUCKEDUPNESS....

Bernal resigned in July 2017 after police moved to fire him for making false statements, committing a hit-and-run and attempting to obstruct an internal affairs inquiry. Prosecutors declined to charge him with a misdemeanor hit-and-run charge. A sheriff’s investigator who handled the case said two of Bernal’s department colleagues who had crucial evidence declined to cooperate with the criminal investigation.

The South Pasadena incident is one of hundreds of cases being examined by the newly created California Reporting Project, a collaboration of 33 news organizations including The Times that is analyzing internal police records released under the new law.

The collaborative has filed requests with more than 600 law enforcement agencies and so far received records from 617 incidents in which officers used significant or deadly force, 115 cases in which officers were found to have been dishonest and 34 in which they committed sexual assault or other sexual misconduct.

How does that even happen?
Old 03-20-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone remember this one?

Jury deadlocks on 3 counts against cop who shot at autistic man, acquits on misdemeanor

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...227823904.html
Old 03-24-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I cannot even fathom the mechanics necessary for this to be true. The only way it works if she got her hands in front of her (which I fully expected the article to say). So if they left that detail out, it's still bizarre but at least plausible. If they were still behind her back, then I have no idea how this happened. And, shocking no one, a different article I saw said the body camera footage is useless because the camera was "knocked off" in the struggle. Again, shocking.
The body mechanics are reasonable, if they were chain-style cuffs, and the woman was slender and flexible. It's not that hard for someone like that to get their cuffs as far as the plane of their belly button. From there, she would have had to have shot herself in the mouth while holding the gun in an awkward position at waist level and looking down.

Old 03-26-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jury awards $9.8 million to family of mentally ill woman shot by Long Beach police

They shot and hit her 7 times her from behind and claimed they feared she was attacking one of the officers...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-26-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Jury awards $9.8 million to family of mentally ill woman shot by Long Beach police

They shot and hit her 7 times her from behind and claimed the feared she was attacking one of the officers...
I don’t even need to click on that link to know she wasn’t an African-American, do I?

Old 03-26-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

I don’t even need to click on that link to know she wasn’t an African-American, do I?

She was
Spoiler:
Asian. However the Law Firms that got her family paid are Black Owned.
Old 03-27-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit, talk about childhood trauma.

Guns drawn, parents cuffed, cake smashed: Lawsuit claims Chicago police raided wrong home during boy's 4th birthday party

https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/n...326-story.html

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.