DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

inri222 12-14-18 02:35 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

You have the right to not record us on video.

North Carolina police officer under investigation after slamming teen sisters to ground

https://abcnews.go.com/US/north-caro...ry?id=59766723

grundle 12-14-18 03:13 PM

Cops behaving in a friendly and peaceful manner:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/poli...002329963.html

Police respond to a noise complaint but end up playing video games with the respectful tenants

December 10, 2018

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/hV...e6ee2eb2019b2a

Neighbors called the police on Jovante M. Williams and his friends playing video games. Police responded appropriately.

Jovante M. Williams arrived at his friends’ apartment at the same time that police were arriving. “At my friends’ apartment, there’s been a couple of noise complaints going on, from the same people,” Jovante tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “Lately, we’ve been playing our games on mute; we don’t want to bother anyone.”

Williams is familiar with the area, “We’re not trouble. We’re adults. Sometimes, we drink beer,” he admits.

Williams and his friends were playing the popular Nintendo video game Super Smash Bros. when police arrived at their door. “You know,” Williams says, “The neighbors thought we were doing the most. We were just playing.”

“We got a lot of cops. We’re telling them this is the same noise level we’ve been having,” Williams tells us. “They confirmed, a few times, that we weren’t even loud.”

Eventually, one police officer asked the young men what they were playing.

“I’m like, ‘Y’all wanna play Smash?!’ And two of them literally raised their hand and walked up. They’re like, ‘How do you jump?’ They were acting; one of them was playing Pikachu!” Williams says, laughing, alluding to the fact that the officers knew how to play very well.

Williams said he thought “Of course, you’d bring more cops” when police arrived at the apartment building. “It was concerning. You see so many videos of terrible results. … I’m not trying to end up in jail or hurt, or have my friends harmed, or to start a commotion. But you know what? I heard the police asking ‘What Smash Brothers?’ Instead of something negative … it was something wholesome.”

stvn1974 12-14-18 04:03 PM

The cop with the hood on is black but I am not sure of the other because of the lighting. Pretty sure if they were both white they would have kicked the door in and come in guns a blazing.

Also, congrats on finding the one story where cops didn't murder the unarmed black men. They should get medals.

Rare Breed22 12-14-18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13462524)
The cop with the hood on is black but I am not sure of the other because of the lighting. Pretty sure if they were both white they would have kicked the door in and come in guns a blazing.

Also, congrats on finding the one story where cops didn't murder the unarmed black men. They should get medals.

It would have been something if the FBI had broken in the door and shot everybody.

inri222 12-14-18 04:49 PM

#AllLivesMatter #BlueLivesMatter :sarcasm:

inri222 12-15-18 03:07 PM

I guess these cops don't like video games. :sarcasm:

Lawsuit accuses Prince George's police chief of condoning white officers' racism, abuse

https://wjla.com/news/local/lawsuit-...9O4Li3bDgNQ8Lw

jfoobar 12-15-18 06:11 PM

Even giving you some leeway for your obvious hyperbole, this is till incredibly stupid and dishonest.

In 2016, police shot and killed 17 unarmed black men. In 2017, it was 19. Care to guess how many interactions that police have with unarmed black men in a year?

As undoubtedly at least a few of these were not legal uses of deadly force, that is a tragedy and the increased use of body cameras resulting from publicity surrounding several high profile incidents is a great thing.

However:

1. The black/non-Hispanic murder rate is about 8 times higher than it is for non-Hispanic whites, more than 4 times higher than Hispanics and almost four times higher than the national average.

2. The differences in rates for armed robbery is even higher.

3. Black males make up around 42% of all cop killers.

So, basically, you have a population that accounts for at or just over half of all murders, well over half of all armed robberies, and 40+% of all on-duty murders of police officers but only comprises ~12% of the male population. This obviously leads to a substantially disproportionate number of high-stress interactions between the police and black males, and for good reason. Yet, here's the punchline (2017 numbers):

Race of people shot to death by police:
White/non-Hispanic: 457
Black/non-Hispanic: 223
Hispanic: 179

So even with all of that, combined with the fact that a police officer is far more likely to be killed by a black male than vice versa, twice as many white-Americans are still shot and killed by the police than black?

The truth of the matter is that black-Americans are actually less likely to be shot by police officers than whites. There have been multiple studies that demonstrate this.

inri222 12-15-18 06:18 PM

There are huge racial disparities in how US police use force

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/...al-disparities

jfoobar 12-15-18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13462952)
There are huge racial disparities in how US police use force

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/...al-disparities

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/23/1/27

The excess appears to reflect exposure. Blacks are arrested more often than whites, and youth more often than the elderly. However, blacks are not more likely than non-Hispanic whites to be killed or injured during a stop/arrest, and youth have the lowest injury ratios.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=cadc

Using a balanced mix of shoot/don’t shoot cases from a large municipal police department in the Southwestern United States, this study analyzed the effect of suspect race on officers’ decisions to shoot—while accounting for other theoretically relevant factors. Findings suggest that Black suspects were not disproportionately the target of police shootings; Black suspects were approximately one third as likely to be shot as other suspects.
https://www.nber.org/papers/w22399

Even when officers report civilians have been compliant and no arrest was made, blacks are 21.2 percent more likely to endure some form of force in an interaction. Yet, on the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we are unable to detect any racial differences in either the raw data or when accounting for controls.
And here is a key stat:

Use of any force by police is about 20 time more likely when an arrest is being made.

jfoobar 12-16-18 06:55 AM

Sorry, last night I forgot to add one additional reason why your quoted post is such hot illogical garbage:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/puar.12956

In our data, just under 84 percent of the officers are white, thus white police officers actually kill slightly fewer black and Latino suspects, and slightly more white suspects, than we would expect if the killings were random. Nonwhite officers correspondingly kill slightly more black and Latino suspects, and slightly fewer white suspects, than we would expect if the killings were randomly distributed among officers. Moreover, while African Americans are disproportionately killed by police, they are killed at much higher rates by nonwhite officers than by white officers.

inri222 12-18-18 03:29 PM

Woman menaces police with rock and is not shot. Gee I wonder why? :sarcasm:

Rare Breed22 12-18-18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13464535)
Woman menaces police with rock and is not shot. Gee I wonder why? :sarcasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktH0NJjdt34

Yeah, funny how that works.

JimRochester 12-18-18 09:16 PM

According to the bureau of justice, statistics show that there are more than 53 million police - civilian interactions annually. Although you love to further the misperception that police are going rogue or are targeting people of color to shoot, the actual statistical results show that not to be true. You are pre-judging, or being prejudicial. The exact behavior you are accusing these police officers of. As in any profession there are good people that make bad mistakes, good people that go bad, and bad apples that sneak through. I am as appalled as anyone when I see officers abusing their authority. I expect them to be punished. However the sarcasm about not shooting a white person is beneath you and intelligent conversation.

inri222 12-19-18 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 13464682)
I am as appalled as anyone when I see officers abusing their authority.

And just as appalled when the "good apples" which are supposedly in the majority cover up for them.

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 13464682)
However the sarcasm about not shooting a white person is beneath you and intelligent conversation.

I hope they got her Burger King after she was arrested.

inri222 12-20-18 12:12 PM

The few bad apples: adding insult to injury one person at a time.

Cops Force Doctors to Anally Probe Man for Traffic Violation, Then Bill Him $4,500

https://www.theroot.com/cops-force-d...iol-1831233316

Sonic 12-21-18 12:30 AM

Florida sheriff's deputy who was hired as school security kills 3 family members and himself

(CNN)A Florida deputy came on the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office main radio line early Wednesday to deliver a horrifying update.
Deputy Terry Strawn had harmed his family at one home. He harmed another family member at a different location. And he was going to kill himself.
A supervisor immediately joined the line to try and calm him down, and three other deputies located Strawn outside a high school in Plant City near Tampa, Sheriff Chad Chronister said Wednesday. Despite efforts to convince him otherwise, the deputy killed himself in front of his colleagues, the sheriff said.
The disturbing situation ended with the deaths of the deputy's wife, daughter and granddaughter, the deputy's suicide and the sheriff's call for police everywhere to take issues of mental health more seriously.

"We have to change the culture," Chronister said. "We have to make sure everyone knows that it's OK to ask for help. It's not a sign of weakness to say, 'Listen, I'm having a difficult time, I'm having a hard time, I need some help.' "
The deputy, later identified as 58-year-old Strawn, had been with the sheriff's office since 1991 and retired in 2017, Chronister said. He was hired back this summer in a temporary role as a school security deputy, the sheriff said, after county officials announced a plan to provide armed security at all elementary schools in the wake of February's mass school shooting in Parkland.
Strawn had glowing recommendations throughout his training process and job evaluations. Chronister said the department had just offered to hire him on a permanent basis as a full-time deputy sheriff.
"(There was) no indication whatsoever that would lead us (or) a prudent and reasonable person that this deputy would ever conduct himself in a manner that he did," he said.

Sheriff Chronister briefing the media this morning concerning a deputy involved murder-suicide. We are saddened beyond comprehension that this has occurred on our watch. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families as we try work to understand all the details in this case. pic.twitter.com/tA5REbp4IW
HCSO (@HCSOSheriff) December 19, 2018

The victims have not yet been positively identified. Chronister said investigators were conducting search warrants at the residences and working to piece the case together. He also noted that the deputy alluded to some financial and health issues during his final radio transmission.

Police said that all students at Plant City High School are safe. Chronister said he believed Strawn carried out the suicide outside the school because it was near one of the residences where he killed a family member.
The case is the second murder-suicide from a Hillsborough County sheriff's deputy in the past few months. In September, Deputy Kirk Keithley, 39, shot and killed his wife, Samantha, before killing himself, CNN affiliate WFTS reported. Keithley had been with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office for more than nine years.

Source
Cops killing families. -ohbfrank-

movieguru 12-22-18 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13465629)
The few bad apples: adding insult to injury one person at a time.

Cops Force Doctors to Anally Probe Man for Traffic Violation, Then Bill Him $4,500

https://www.theroot.com/cops-force-d...iol-1831233316

From what I've heard, this was the same hospital where the nurse was arrested by a cop for refusing to draw blood from a suspect without his permission.

Giantrobo 12-24-18 06:47 PM

HOW IN THE FUUUUUCK DID THIS MAN NOT GET SHOT?!?!? :eek:

Did i just watch and ep of RENO 911???

JasonX 12-25-18 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13467982)

The sad answer is that him not being black likely played a large factor in it.

inri222 12-28-18 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13467982)

Did i just watch and ep of RENO 911???

I'm sure they didn't "fear for their lives." The perp was standing his ground. :sarcasm:

Why So Blu? 12-28-18 02:36 PM

FAKE WHITE PRIVILEGE!

:sarcasm:

Psi 12-28-18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13469901)
I'm sure they didn't "fear for their lives." The perp was standing his ground. :sarcasm:

Doesn't look like one of those dangerous illegal immigrants from the caravan.

4KRG 12-28-18 03:01 PM

At roughly 1:46-1:47 where the crazy man takes the nightstick and hits BOTH cops with it, yeah, I would think they would shoot him at that point, wow...

Pulaski County Sheriff's Office googles up a bunch of different possible locations, but I found another article

https://katv.com/news/local/brother-...ntal-condition

it's all connected to mental health issues that the Pulaski County Sheriff's Office was aware of.

Since 2002, the Pulaski County Sheriff's Office has documented more than 260 times that law enforcement has made a call out to York's home.

York said his brother is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic
I am going to guess this is why they didn't just shoot him, history of knowing his story and his issues. But way better to just claim whiteness as the reason, so continue..

Psi 12-28-18 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG (Post 13469920)
I am going to guess this is why they didn't just shoot him, history of knowing his story and his issues. But way better to just claim whiteness as the reason, so continue..

Actually I appreciate that the police didn't shoot him, although I don't think the officers should have gotten into a wrestling situation with him -- that's dangerous for all. But the issue I see from this case is that it highlights the disparity in how police handle cases where a person is known to be mentally unstable or under the influence, and that person is shot for the smallest action or twitch that is viewed as posing even a tiny risk to people around. If we go by that standard, the man in the video probably took 100 of those dangerous actions without getting shot or tased or clubbed. So the problem is not (only) with this case, but all the other cases.

DVD Polizei 12-28-18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 13469910)
Doesn't look like one of those dangerous illegal immigrants from the caravan.

Illegal Immigrant Kills Cop, Leaves Widow And Child

Illegal Immigrants Behaving Badly thread...