DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

creekdipper 05-13-18 10:43 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13331027)
Anyone follow @shawnking on twitter.

His entire focus seems to,be posting videos of cops and sometimes non police beating and harassing minorities.

Rumor has it that he's had 8 wives.

jfoobar 05-15-18 01:31 PM

The next time a police officer shoots someone who ends up having just a BB gun, you can be sure they will cite this incident in their defense:

https://www.officer.com/tactical/swa...to-have-bb-gun

Ryan Joseph Pritel, 20, of Sonoma was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and carrying a loaded firearm in public, police said. He was booked in Sonoma County Jail Sunday on a $1 million bail amount.

The Mother’s Day incident began after a Jolly Washer 76 gas station manager called Sonoma police when Pritel, an employee, refused to leave to leave the property. The manager of the store, located on the corner of Highway 12 and Ramon Street, said Pritel was acting erratically and carrying a BB gun.

When deputies arrived, Pritel was washing the gray pickup truck as it waited in line for the automatic car wash. Cregan said what the manager described as a BB gun was actually a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun in Pritel’s waistband.

Three deputies approached the truck with guns drawn as Pritel hid behind it, Cregan said. Pritel raised up and fired one shot at a motorcycle deputy and wounded him. The deputy was hit with a round of “snake shot,” a bullet whose projectile is made up of small pellets.

The deputy fired two shots back, striking the truck’s rear window and a side panel, Cregan said. Pritel was not hit.
Sounds like a clusterfuck all around. Snakeshot? Did the guy find those rounds in the back of a drawer somewhere? Glad no one was seriously hurt.

inri222 05-17-18 03:19 PM

Time to have a nice chat with an attorney.

A man who was wrongly convicted of murder when he was 14 clears his name after 27 long years

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/us/ny...rnd/index.html

JasonX 05-29-18 08:56 AM

Nothing says memorial day like being beaten by police at the beach:

Woman punched by cop on beach 'refused to comply': New Jersey mayor says

I'm not sure what this woman did, but it doesn't seem like it was violent. To me punching someone in the head multiple times in a non-violent situation is beyond excessive. Police really need better training on how to respond to these situations. I have seen NYC cops behave extremely admirably in comparable situations, so it seems more of an issue based on jurisdiction and perhaps personalty of the officers involved.

whotony 05-29-18 11:46 AM

She tried to run away and kicked the cop in the balls after they asked her for Id and she refused to give them Id.

Giantrobo 05-29-18 12:22 PM

If nothing else, there is some nice sideboob around 28-30sec

Giantrobo 05-29-18 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13341411)
She tried to run away and kicked the cop in the balls after they asked her for Id and she refused to give them Id.

Is that in the video?

whotony 05-29-18 12:29 PM

Not, but thatís why they were trying to restrain her.

Draven 05-29-18 12:29 PM

Ernie Troiano, the mayor of Wildwood, N.J., on Monday said the police seen in the viral video that showed an officer striking a woman multiple times “were doing their job."

Troiano told NJ.com that he does not know the entire story of what led up to the encounter, but said she “refused to comply.”
I do not understand quotes like this - if the mayor knows about the incident at all, his next question should have been "what happened?". And he should know the whole story (at least the officers' version) before making a statement.

Giantrobo 05-29-18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13341458)
I do not understand quotes like this - if the mayor knows about the incident at all, his next question should have been "what happened?". And he should know the whole story (at least the officers' version) before making a statement.

The "The Person Didn't Comply" auto-answer. He doesn't know but is ready to back the cops. That's ok. It's kinda expected.

Mabuse 05-29-18 01:48 PM

New Jersey beaches never disappoint.

raven56706 05-29-18 01:57 PM

I live in Jersey and refuse to go to jersey beaches. Not because of the cops but because of the stupid people that go.

whotony 05-29-18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13341568)
New Jersey beaches never disappoint.

Almost all the nonsense comes from the beaches north of AC.

Avalon, stone Harbor, Wildwood, Cape May rarely have any notable incidents

Mabuse 05-30-18 12:55 PM

What about that time you let the governor close the beaches and then he trolled you all? In California we would never let that happen.

whotony 05-30-18 12:57 PM

That was all north jersey.

Jersey might as well be two separate states.

Mabuse 05-30-18 03:45 PM

Yeah. The rest of us can really see the distinction. It’s clear as day.

Franchot 05-31-18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX (Post 13341219)
I'm not sure what this woman did, but it doesn't seem like it was violent. To me punching someone in the head multiple times in a non-violent situation is beyond excessive. Police really need better training on how to respond to these situations. I have seen NYC cops behave extremely admirably in comparable situations, so it seems more of an issue based on jurisdiction and perhaps personalty of the officers involved.

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13341411)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13341448)
Is that in the video?

It is in the latest video:

When the police officer (and I'm not even sure if he's actually a police officer, but a summer help $10 an hour security person) asked for her name, she should have went with the old reliable:

"Baba Booey."

The humor might helped to defuse the situation.

JasonX 05-31-18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Franchot (Post 13343626)
It is in the latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQQ9xOhuFrk

When the police officer (and I'm not even sure if he's actually a police officer, but a summer help $10 an hour security person) asked for her name, she should have went with the old reliable:

"Baba Booey."

The humor might helped to defuse the situation.

This seems like a complete compilation. Seems like the cops were on some sort of power trip to me. I donít think she did anything that warranted getting punched in the head multiple times by a person that is likely several times her weight.

Franchot 05-31-18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX (Post 13343638)
This seems like a complete compilation. Seems like the cops were on some sort of power trip to me. I donít think she did anything that warranted getting punched in the head multiple times by a person that is likely several times her weight.

I edited the link to include the uncensored version which has stronger language used by both the woman and the police.

I agree. The cops should have just had her dump out the alcohol, gave her a warning, and went on their way.

But the woman does have a past criminal history (although the police would not have been aware of it at the time.)

https://heavy.com/news/2018/05/emily-weinman/

whotony 05-31-18 08:31 PM

She deserved a punch in the face but not by the officer.

Josh-da-man 05-31-18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX (Post 13343638)

Alpha males gonna alpha male.

inri222 06-08-18 09:14 AM

Very disturbing

What We Learned From the Videos of Stephon Clark Being Killed by Police

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/u...BFFpQ%E2%80%AC

<iframe title="New York Times Video - Embed Player" width="480" height="321" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" id="nyt_video_player" src="https://www.nytimes.com/video/players/offsite/index.html?videoId=100000005832133"></iframe>

inri222 06-08-18 11:48 AM

Why do those black SOB's hate the troops? :sarcasm:

inri222 06-14-18 08:54 AM

I'm sure he'll find another job in law enforcement based on his qualifications of being a bigot.

Florida police officer resigns after video showed him using racial slur

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...hows-him-using

inri222 06-18-18 10:08 AM

Was that even necessary?