DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

grundle 03-20-18 02:45 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/u...ne-damond.html

Minneapolis Officer Charged With Murder in Australian Woman’s Death

March 20, 2018

The Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman last summer, an incident that led to protests and the ouster of the city’s police chief, was booked into jail Tuesday on charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The shooting of the woman, Justine Damond, by Officer Mohamed Noor on July 15 renewed questions about police conduct and training in a region that has seen a series of police shootings in recent years.

Mike Freeman, the Hennepin County attorney, was scheduled to discuss the case at a midafternoon news conference. His spokesman declined to comment late Tuesday morning. A lawyer for Officer Noor and the leader of the Minneapolis police union did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Officer Noor was being held at the Hennepin County Jail on $500,000 bail, according to sheriff’s records. Those records show he was booked late Tuesday morning and that he was arrested by sheriff’s deputies. A booking photo was not immediately available.

Ms. Damond, 40, a yoga and meditation instructor who was engaged to be married, had called 911 twice that July night to report what she feared was a sexual assault happening outside her home in an affluent part of Minneapolis. Officer Noor and his partner, Officer Matthew Harrity, arrived minutes later.

The two officers were driving through an alley near Ms. Damond’s home with their emergency lights off, state investigators said, when Officer Harrity reported being startled by a loud noise. Moments later, Officer Noor, the passenger in the police car, fired a shot through the cruiser’s open driver’s side window, fatally striking Ms. Damond.

Neither officer’s body camera was turned on, and there is no known video of the shooting.
Spoiler:

In a statement released by their lawyer, Robert Bennett, members of Ms. Damond’s family applauded the charging decision and called it “one step toward justice for this iniquitous act.”

“We remain hopeful that a strong case will be presented by the prosecutor, backed by verified and detailed forensic evidence, and that this will lead to a conviction,” the family’s statement said. “No charges can bring our Justine back. However, justice demands accountability for those responsible for recklessly killing the fellow citizens they are sworn to protect, and today’s actions reflect that.”

For months, the authorities released little information about what led to the gunfire, and Officer Noor declined to speak to investigators from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, who were asked by the city to review the shooting. The state agency finished its investigation in mid-September and handed over its findings to Mr. Freeman’s office.

Ms. Damond’s death happened a month after a police officer was acquitted of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a motorist in nearby Falcon Heights. It renewed debate in the Minneapolis region about how officers use force and treat residents. Protesters marched, demanded policy changes and at one point shouted over the mayor at the time, Betsy Hodges, during a news conference.

For years, activists in Minnesota have protested police shootings, including many high-profile cases in which black men were killed. Some of the same activists demonstrated after the shooting of Ms. Damond, who was white, and suggested that her death might galvanize some white people who had previously been silent about police misconduct.

Officer Noor, a member of the area’s large Somali immigrant community, began patrolling the district in southwest Minneapolis 14 months before the shooting. He was the first Somali officer to be stationed in that area, and was seen as a cultural bridge to a community that has at times had tensions with the police.

After the shooting, Ms. Hodges moved quickly to dismiss the Minneapolis police chief, Janee Harteau, and the police department announced new rules requiring body cameras to be turned on in more situations.

“Why don’t we have footage from body cameras?” Ms. Hodges said in July. “Why were they not activated? We all want answers to those questions.”

Ms. Hodges, who faced criticism for her handling of police shootings, was defeated for re-election in November and left office in January. Don Damond, Ms. Damond’s fiancé, endorsed the winning mayoral candidate, Jacob Frey, and said that Ms. Hodges’s efforts to improve the Police Department “were too little, too late.”

Activists demanded the swift filing of criminal charges against Officer Noor, but Mr. Freeman resisted the requests, saying he needed to wait for the findings of the investigation.

“We have received some emails and phone calls from members of the community demanding that we charge the officer immediately and ascribing all kinds of nefarious reasons as to why we haven’t done so,” Mr. Freeman wrote in August.

In December, Mr. Freeman was videotaped at a labor union gathering saying that investigators in the case “haven’t done their job,” that Officer Harrity’s statement was unhelpful, and that he did not have enough information to make a charging decision.

“I’ve got to have the evidence, and I don’t have it yet,” Mr. Freeman said in the video. “And let me just say, it’s not my fault.”

Mr. Freeman later apologized to the state investigative agency and said, “I was wrong to discuss both the agency’s work and what discussions we are having internally at the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.”

Mr. Freeman initially said he expected to make a charging decision in 2017. But he reversed course on Dec. 28, saying that “review of the case will not be rushed” and that the investigation would continue into the new year.

Prosecutors often face difficulty securing convictions against police officers involved in shootings. In the Falcon Heights case, Officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted in June by jurors in a neighboring county for the fatal 2016 shooting of Philando Castile. Officers in Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Missouri were acquitted last year in trials over fatal shootings.

Minneapolis police records released after the shooting showed that Officer Noor had been the subject of three citizen complaints during his short career. Details about the incidents were not released. A day before the shooting of Ms. Damond, a lawsuit accusing Officer Noor and two colleagues of misconduct was filed in federal court.

Ms. Damond’s death added to a longstanding, tense debate over police conduct in Minnesota, where the shooting of Mr. Castile in Falcon Heights prompted large protests, and where demonstrators in Minneapolis camped for days outside a police station in 2015 after an officer shot and killed Jamar Clark, an unarmed black man.

stvn1974 03-20-18 03:13 PM

Mohamed Noor is the cop's name. He is going away for a long time.

Draven 03-21-18 10:44 PM

Link

Sacramento police fatally shot a 22-year-old black man holding a cell phone that was mistaken for a weapon.

Stephon Clark was in the backyard of the home he shared with his grandparents and some of his siblings when he was killed, Clark’s brother told the Sacramento Bee.

The police department said officers were responding to a report that someone was breaking car windows nearby.

The suspect was described as a 6-foot-1 man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and dark pants hiding in a backyard.

Ah...to be shot in your own backyard simply for being “a black man with a phone”.

PerryD 03-22-18 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13295210)
Link

Ah...to be shot in your own backyard simply for being “a black man with a phone”.

Hmm, googling this story, it does sound like he was a criminal being chased through the neighborhood by police even tracked by police helicopter until he was pinned down by police. I'm not sure how this story got morphed into sweet boy just having tea with his grandma in her backyard. Need to read more when I'm not using my phone.

Josh-da-man 03-22-18 08:26 AM

I'm sure he wasn't a choirboy or angel.

Baron Of Hell 03-22-18 09:04 AM

Personally I think if you think it is ok to murder someone for breaking windows you are a bigger piece shit than the guy breaking windows.

Anyway the bodycam and helicopter video was released so if love watching black men being murdered grab your popcorn. Video doesn't show him breaking into any cars. The video does show him hoping a fence into his backyard and looking into his car which made him look like a criminal to the helicopter people. And the cops state that he has a gun so they probably really believed he did. However, they didn't attempt to give him medical attention. They waited five minutes for the ambulance to look after him.

inri222 03-22-18 09:27 AM

Silly ass cops, this is how you apprehend an armed suspect :sarcasm:

fujishig 03-22-18 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 13295386)
Personally I think if you think it is ok to murder someone for breaking windows you are a bigger piece shit than the guy breaking windows.

Anyway the bodycam and helicopter video was released so if love watching black men being murdered grab your popcorn. Video doesn't show him breaking into any cars. The video does show him hoping a fence into his backyard and looking into his car which made him look like a criminal to the helicopter people. And the cops state that he has a gun so they probably really believed he did. However, they didn't attempt to give him medical attention. They waited five minutes for the ambulance to look after him.

At least from the police version, it says they confronted him in the front yard (I guess of the first house), told him to stop and show his hands, then he fled into the backyard and hopped the fence into the adjacent back yard. There should be bodycam footage of this though.

edited to add: Ok, i take that back. They were already knocking on doors looking for a guy, then the helicopter spots him running and jumping from one backyard to another. He starts walking toward the frontyard and stops to look at a vehicle, the cops run up to him, he hightails it to the backyard and got shot.

I'll agree with the medical attention part, and also that it doesn't seem like they were just looking to gun someone down. I'll also say I wouldn't want to be police searching through super dark backyards looking for a perp, while it doesn't excuse what they did I can see why it happened this way.

DVD Josh 03-22-18 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13295400)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMYMI4su1qA

I hope the cops were able to take advantage of that great HH Gregg sale.

cungar 03-22-18 11:12 AM

Is there a police weight restriction there where you have to be over 260 lbs?

DaveNinja 03-23-18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13295462)
At least from the police version, it says they confronted him in the front yard (I guess of the first house), told him to stop and show his hands, then he fled into the backyard and hopped the fence into the adjacent back yard. There should be bodycam footage of this though.

edited to add: Ok, i take that back. They were already knocking on doors looking for a guy, then the helicopter spots him running and jumping from one backyard to another. He starts walking toward the frontyard and stops to look at a vehicle, the cops run up to him, he hightails it to the backyard and got shot.

I'll agree with the medical attention part, and also that it doesn't seem like they were just looking to gun someone down. I'll also say I wouldn't want to be police searching through super dark backyards looking for a perp, while it doesn't excuse what they did I can see why it happened this way.

one cop shouts "gun!" and all three unload on him.

Should the police department change their methods so you actually have to be sure the guy has a gun before shooting at him? Like take cover first or use non-lethal means. The chance of the guy actually shooting and hitting a cop must be pretty small since criminals are not going to be trained in pistol shooting and usually have crappy guns.

There seems to be way too many unarmed shootings lately.

Sorraffy 03-23-18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 13295386)

guy who MIGHT have had a gun = dead

and here's a recent local story where a guy tried to use a car to run over the cop = he of course did not get shot at nor did he die

inri222 03-29-18 12:14 PM

Look who got indicted.
Let's hope there aren't any pictures out there of her smoking weed. :sarcasm:

Officer who fatally shot Justine Damond is charged with murder

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...murder-n831206

inri222 03-29-18 10:24 PM

Another day, another black man shot by the police

Texas Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Man Walking With Pants Down
The Harris County Sheriff’s Office released dashcam video of the shooting as the use of lethal force by police comes under renewed scrutiny across the nation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06409775b30b3

Hokeyboy 03-30-18 08:23 AM

I've been roughed up more than that while renewing my drivers license.

grundle 03-30-18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13295210)
Link

Two police officers each fired 10 bullets. One of the police officers was black and one was white.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/03/steph...jared-robinet/

The names of the two officers who allegedly shot Stephon Clark in a Sacramento backyard on Sunday were released Friday by a prominent civil rights attorney out of Oakland, California.

A representative from the law office of John Burris in Oakland said that the two officers who fired 10 shots each at Clark were Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet, according to the Sacramento Bee.

https://scontent.fagc3-2.fna.fbcdn.n...64&oe=5B714206

grundle 03-30-18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13300273)
Another day, another black man shot by the police

Texas Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Man Walking With Pants Down
The Harris County Sheriff’s Office released dashcam video of the shooting as the use of lethal force by police comes under renewed scrutiny across the nation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06409775b30b3

You are correct that the unarmed man who was shot and killed by a police officer was black.

What you did not say, but is in the article at your link, is that the police officer who shot and killed him is also black.

JasonF 04-03-18 03:04 PM

Asheville police video shows white officer beating, choking black jaywalking suspect

Johnnie Rush was just trying to get home from a long shift at the Cracker Barrel.

Then he got stopped for jaywalking — an encounter with the Asheville Police Department that ultimately left Rush with a bloodied face after an officer punched him multiple times, Tasered him and put him in a chokehold on the ground.

On Monday, the City of Asheville, North Carolina, released nine videos from the officers' body-worn cameras showing the encounter and ensuing assault from various angles while Rush screamed, "I can't breathe," and "Help!" The officer who repeatedly struck Rush in the head, Christopher Hickman, resigned from APD in January just before he was terminated for violating the use-of-force policy, according to city officials. He was charged in March with felony assault by strangulation and misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury and communicating threats for the August 2017 incident. His lawyer says he's going to trial and that a jury will acquit him.

"What happened in these recordings is unacceptable and does not meet the standards of the Asheville Police Department, the values of the City of Asheville, or the expectations of Asheville residents," city officials said in a written statement posted with the videos Monday. "Christopher Hickman's actions violated the Asheville Police Department's vision that all people are treated with dignity and respect. These actions have damaged the progress that the Asheville Police Department has made in the last several years in improving community trust."

According to the videos, Hickman and a police officer in training, Verino Ruggerio, first spot Rush walking through the parking lot of a business, which they later describe as trespassing. Then they see him cross the street without using a crosswalk. The officers follow him to a nearby convenience store, then wait for him to buy some beer before confronting him outside the store about the alleged jaywalking. Ruggerio gave him a warning and let him go — but moments later, he and Hickman say on video that they see Rush jaywalking "again and again," which is not captured.

"Rush, Rush," Ruggerio says, walking toward him, "I just told you. . . . You just committed four crimes in a row. Just because you don't agree it's a crime doesn't mean it's not a crime."

"All I'm trying to do is go home, man," Rush tells him, as the two go back and forth about the problem with walking in the street. "I'm tired. I just got off work."

Ruggerio tells him he has two options: He can either arrest him or write him a ticket.

"I asked you to use the crosswalk. Why is that so hard?" Ruggerio says.

"You're right," Rush says. "It's not, sir. It's not. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. You're right."

Ruggerio asks Rush to look at him, but Rush says he can hear him just fine. Hickman chimes in to say, "Just write him a ticket. He wants to act like a punk."

In a moment, though, Hickman changes his mind. After Rush remarks that the cops apparently have nothing better to do than harass someone about walking, Hickman darts toward him, telling him to put his hands behind his back. When Hickman tries to grab him, Rush backs away — then starts running. He only crosses the street, apparently deciding to stop fleeing as Hickman and Ruggerio approach.

"He thinks it's funny," Hickman says. "You know what's funny is you're gonna get f--- up hardcore. Get on the ground."

Hickman presses Rush's head onto the ground, as he and Ruggerio repeatedly instruct him to put his hands behind his back. Rush continues squirming, yelling that he can't breathe. Then the punching starts. Hickman hits him seven to 10 times.

"Oh, my God!" Rush yells.

Hickman reaches for his Taser and zaps him. Rush then tries to grab the Taser from Hickman while it's pointed at him, prompting Hickman to hit him in the head with the Taser "as if it was a club . . . about as hard as I could," Hickman would soon tell his supervisor on the scene. "I beat the s- out of his head. I'm not gonna lie about that."

Hickman then begins choking him from behind while other officers grab his arms. "Help! Help!" Rush yells. "I can't breathe. I can't breathe."

Finally, Rush is in handcuffs. As police escort him to a cop car, he tells Hickman, "You ain't have to punch me in my face for no reason."

"You didn't have to make me," Hickman says. He adds: "Don't look at me with your spitty blood face."

When Sgt. Lisa Taube arrives on scene to take each side of the story, from Hickman and Rush, Rush acknowledges that he shouldn't have run, "but that don't give him the right to hit me like that," he says. "What would have happened if he would've killed me? Then what?"

Taube is silent for a moment, before telling him, "OK. You were in the wrong."

Though the incident happened in August, it wasn't until a portion of the body-cam footage was leaked to the Asheville Citizen-Times February 28 that the fallout escalated. Asheville City Manager Gary Jackson was removed from his post by City Council in March following calls for him to leave office from community groups such as Black Lives Matter.

"Black Lives Matter is pretty much fed up with people making excuses for the blatant anti-black racism practices in this city," Sharon Smith, of the local BLM chapter, said at a March City Council meeting, according to the Asheville Citizen-Times. "We demand it stop immediately, beginning with the city officials who have obviously abused their authority."

Taube was also disciplined for poor performance in the way that she handled the interview with Rush and was ordered to undergo remedial training, according to the city's statement. Ruggerio was "immediately reassigned to another training officer, and has given every indication that he understands that Hickman's actions were wholly unacceptable, and not up to the standards of a modern, community-oriented police agency," the city said.

Hickman was charged with the felony and misdemeanor assault cases on March 9, though his attorney said he believes a jury will acquit him.

"It's unfortunate that so many individuals have rushed to judge my client," attorney Thomas Amburgey said in a statement following Hickman's court appearance this Monday, according to the Citizen-Times. "I am confident that when a fair and impartial jury hears the whole story that Mr. Hickman will be acquitted. Any notion that my client had any criminal intent to harm Mr. Rush is without basis."

The charges against Rush — impeding traffic, trespassing, assault on a government official and resisting a public officer — were ultimately dropped last fall.

By the end of the night he was arrested, he and Hickman seemed to almost reach an understanding, as shown in the body camera footage. As they walked to the police cruiser, Hickman let Rush out of his handcuffs to smoke a cigarette, offering him a light.

"I didn't mean for this to happen," Rush told Hickman.

"We didn't either," Hickman said. "What's done is done. We're all gonna go through our lives and this will never happen again and we'll probably never see either one of us again."

Still, the two meandered back to talking about the arrest, and Rush still couldn't grasp why Hickman kept punching him and choking him.

He asked, how was I supposed to put my hands behind my back "when you're choking me?"

"I didn't start choking you until I probably punched you 10 times," Hickman said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...403-story.html

"Jaywalking suspect"

"Jaywalking suspect"

"Jaywalking suspect"

"Jaywalking suspect!!!!!!!"

inri222 04-03-18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 13302741)
"Jaywalking suspect"

"Jaywalking suspect"

"Jaywalking suspect"

"Jaywalking suspect!!!!!!!"

No Burger King for him.

Draven 04-03-18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 13300773)
Two police officers each fired 10 bullets. One of the police officers was black and one was white.

What does the race of the cops have to do with the race of the victim?

grundle 04-05-18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13302880)
What does the race of the cops have to do with the race of the victim?

If the media says the unarmed victim was black, it makes it look like the police who shot him were racist. But if the media adds that one of the police who shot him was also black, then it shows that at least that one police officer was not racist.

grundle 04-05-18 03:32 PM

The police shot and killed this guy because they thought he was pointing a gun at them. But it wasn't a gun, it was a pipe.

Based on this photo that was published by CNN, I'm going to have to defend the police. It really does look like he was pointing a gun at them.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/05/us/ny...ipe/index.html

New York police release video of man pointing object before fatal shooting

April 5, 2018

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...xlarge-169.jpg

The New York City Police Department released surveillance video Thursday of a man, later fatally shot by police, pointing a silver object at residents as if he were brandishing a gun.
Spoiler:

The video also shows 911 call transcripts of neighborhood residents who reported the man to police.

On Wednesday, police shot and killed the black man, identified as Saheed Vassell, in Brooklyn after he pointed what authorities said officers believed was a gun at them.

After the shooting, officers discovered that the object was "a pipe with some sort of knob on it," Chief of Department Terence A. Monahan said at a news conference.

Vassell's death comes amid a resurgence of questions about law enforcement's unequal treatment of people of color following another police shooting recently in Sacramento, California. Police there said they thought Stephon Clark had a gun, but only a cell phone was found near his body.
In transcripts released Thursday by New York police, 911 callers appeared uncertain about what object Vassell was holding.

"There is a guy in a brown jacket walking around pointing -- I don't know, (to someone else) what is he pointing in people's face? They say it's a gun, it's silver," one caller said, according to a police transcript.

"There's a guy walking around the street, he looks like he's crazy, but he's pointing something at people that looks like a gun and he's like popping it, as if, like if he's pulling the trigger," another caller said.

A third caller said the man is holding a gun.

New York's attorney general opened an investigation Thursday morning into Vassell's death, said Amy Spitalnick, a spokeswoman for Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

"We're committed to conducting an independent, comprehensive and fair investigation," she told CNN.

By state law, the attorney general is appointed as a special prosecutor to oversee investigations into and prosecute matters related to incidents in which unarmed civilians die during interactions with police or incidents in which there is significant question as to whether the civilian was armed and dangerous, Spitalnick said, citing the law.

'Two-handed shooting stance'

The incident started shortly before 5 p.m. Wednesday when officers received 911 calls of a man aiming what callers described as a silver firearm at people in Brooklyn, Monahan said.

"Three different 911 callers described a man with a gun, pointing it at people on the streets," he said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found a man matching the description provided by the callers, Monahan said.

"The suspect then took a two-handed shooting stance and pointed an object at the approaching officers, two of whom were in uniform," he said.

Four officers discharged their weapons, striking the man, Monahan said. Then they gave him first aid and called for an ambulance to take him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"It appears we fired 10 rounds between the four officers," Monahan said. The unidentified officers, who were not wearing body cameras, discovered the metal pipe at the scene.

Psi 04-05-18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 13304212)
If the media says the unarmed victim was black, it makes it look like the police who shot him were racist. But if the media adds that one of the police who shot him was also black, then it shows that at least that one police officer was not racist.

The complaint is about some police discriminating against Blacks, not White police discriminating against Blacks.

Josh-da-man 04-05-18 09:00 PM

Black Father Gives Son The Talk About Holding Literally Any Object

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...38m3f3szcd.jpg

NORRISTOWN, PA—Deciding his firstborn was old enough to learn about the cultural dangers of having things in his hands, African American dad Aaron Mitchell pulled his son aside Thursday to have “the talk” about holding literally any object. “Listen, son, it’s time you learned how to conduct yourself in public. It may not make sense to you now, but you need to keep your hands empty at all times. And you might not like this, but for your mother’s and my sake, keep your pockets empty, too?” Mitchell said to his 12-year-old son, Aaron Jr., adding that his father had imparted the same advice to him. “You don’t want to give the impression that you have an object on you. Matter of fact, I don’t want you hanging out with those neighbor kids who are always carrying things. I know they’re your friends, but trust me, if you get in trouble with the law, the cops can say you were a known associate of individuals known to hold things, and therefore you were holding an object by association.” At press time, Mitchell was hastily confiscating the objects strewn around his son’s bedroom.

grundle 04-08-18 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 13304218)
The police shot and killed this guy because they thought he was pointing a gun at them. But it wasn't a gun, it was a pipe.

Based on this photo that was published by CNN, I'm going to have to defend the police. It really does look like he was pointing a gun at them.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/05/us/ny...ipe/index.html

New York police release video of man pointing object before fatal shooting

April 5, 2018

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...xlarge-169.jpg

The New York City Police Department released surveillance video Thursday of a man, later fatally shot by police, pointing a silver object at residents as if he were brandishing a gun.
Spoiler:

The video also shows 911 call transcripts of neighborhood residents who reported the man to police.

On Wednesday, police shot and killed the black man, identified as Saheed Vassell, in Brooklyn after he pointed what authorities said officers believed was a gun at them.

After the shooting, officers discovered that the object was "a pipe with some sort of knob on it," Chief of Department Terence A. Monahan said at a news conference.

Vassell's death comes amid a resurgence of questions about law enforcement's unequal treatment of people of color following another police shooting recently in Sacramento, California. Police there said they thought Stephon Clark had a gun, but only a cell phone was found near his body.
In transcripts released Thursday by New York police, 911 callers appeared uncertain about what object Vassell was holding.

"There is a guy in a brown jacket walking around pointing -- I don't know, (to someone else) what is he pointing in people's face? They say it's a gun, it's silver," one caller said, according to a police transcript.

"There's a guy walking around the street, he looks like he's crazy, but he's pointing something at people that looks like a gun and he's like popping it, as if, like if he's pulling the trigger," another caller said.

A third caller said the man is holding a gun.

New York's attorney general opened an investigation Thursday morning into Vassell's death, said Amy Spitalnick, a spokeswoman for Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

"We're committed to conducting an independent, comprehensive and fair investigation," she told CNN.

By state law, the attorney general is appointed as a special prosecutor to oversee investigations into and prosecute matters related to incidents in which unarmed civilians die during interactions with police or incidents in which there is significant question as to whether the civilian was armed and dangerous, Spitalnick said, citing the law.

'Two-handed shooting stance'

The incident started shortly before 5 p.m. Wednesday when officers received 911 calls of a man aiming what callers described as a silver firearm at people in Brooklyn, Monahan said.

"Three different 911 callers described a man with a gun, pointing it at people on the streets," he said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found a man matching the description provided by the callers, Monahan said.

"The suspect then took a two-handed shooting stance and pointed an object at the approaching officers, two of whom were in uniform," he said.

Four officers discharged their weapons, striking the man, Monahan said. Then they gave him first aid and called for an ambulance to take him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"It appears we fired 10 rounds between the four officers," Monahan said. The unidentified officers, who were not wearing body cameras, discovered the metal pipe at the scene.

Three different people called 911 and said there was a man pointing a gun at people. There's video footage of him pointing the pipe at different people as if it were a gun, as well as written partial transcripts from the 911 calls, in this article from Huffington Post:

Spoiler:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b09d0a1193ce18

NYPD Releases 911 Transcripts, Footage Of Saheed Vassell’s Final Moments

Police fatally shot Vassell, an unarmed black man, on Wednesday.

April 6, 2018

The New York Police Department released transcripts on Friday of three 911 calls, as well as security camera footage of the moments leading up to Saheed Vassell’s killing by police in Brooklyn.

The roughly two-minute video appears to show Vassell walking through Brooklyn’s Crown Heights neighborhood on Wednesday, sporadically pointing a silver object at people as he passes them.

In the 911 transcripts, callers told dispatchers that a black man in a brown jacket was pointing what looked like a gun at people on the street.

Portions of the three transcripts are included below:

911 Caller: There is a guy walking around. He looks like he is crazy but he’s pointing something at people that looks like a gun and he’s like popping it like he’s pulling the trigger. He’s not pulling a trigger but he’s making a motion as if he is and there is something sticking out of his jacket.

Dispatcher: Ok, is anybody injured?

911 Caller: Nobody is injured

Dispatcher: Ok, give me one second. Ok help is on the way, I just have a few more questions, ok?

911 Caller: Aha

Dispatcher: You said it looks like a gun?

911 Caller: Yes

911 Caller: Hi I’m walking on Utica Avenue in the direction to yeah walking away from Eastern Parkway towards Empire Boulevard. There’s a guy in a brown jacket walking around pointing I don’t know what is he’s pointing at people’s faces. I don’t know what if it is if it’s a gun. It’s silver.

Dispatcher: You said Utica Avenue and Eastern Parkway?

911 Caller: I’m walking in the direction towards Empire Boulevard

Dispatcher: So Empire Boulevard?

911 Caller: Right I’m walking on Utica in direction towards Empire Boulevard. I’m between Carroll and (Unintelligible Dispatcher/Caller audio overlapping)

911 Caller: I’m sorry.

(Unintelligible Dispatcher/Caller overlapping)

911 Caller: He’s an African American guy. He has on a brown jacket.

Dispatcher: Brown jacket?

911 Caller: Right

He’s pointing a thing in people’s faces he’s wearing blue jeans and black and white sneakers a black hat

Dispatcher: Hold on ma’am, what location is this? A private house? A business

911 Caller: My is (unintelligible)

Dispatcher: Laundromat and what’s going on there?

911 Caller: Nothing wrong, I see the friend that one guy and black guy see holding a gun (unintelligible)

Dispatcher: He has a gun ma’am? He has a gun?

911 Caller: Yes

Officers arrived at the scene around 4:30 p.m. and saw a man matching the description callers gave. In a news briefing later Wednesday evening, NYPD Chief Terence A. Monahan said the man “took a two-handed shooting stance and pointed an object at the approaching officers.”

Four officers, three in plainclothes and one in uniform, fired 10 rounds, striking the man, who was later identified as Vassell. The officers then called an ambulance, Monahan said, and Vassell was taken to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officers later determined that the object Vassell had pointed at them was “a pipe with some sort of knob on the end of it.”

The victim’s father, Eric Vassell, told NY1 on Wednesday that his son had bipolar disorder and had been “sick for a long time.” Neighbors and local police officers also said they knew Vassell to be mentally ill and to drink heavily. Vassell had been taken to the hospital several times in recent years for mental health treatment, according to The New York Times.

Asked whether the officers accounted for Vassell’s potential mental illness when they encountered him, Monahan responded that “this was not an [Emotionally Disturbed Person] call.”

Hundreds of people gathered in Brooklyn to protest Vassell’s death on Thursday. Standing on the corner where her son was killed, Vassell’s mother, Lorna, wondered why police didn’t shoot him in the leg instead.

“He did not deserve [for] a piece of iron in his hand for a cop to kill him,” she said. “It’s unjustified, and I want justice. They murdered my son, and I want justice for him.”

The New York attorney general’s office said Thursday it was opening an investigation into Vassell’s death.

Meanwhile, this other article - also by Huffington Post - says that hundreds of protestors are demanding justice for the dead man.

Spoiler:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0337ad1e619b3

Protesters Demand Justice For Saheed Vassell, Unarmed Black Man Shot By Cops In NYC

“They murdered my son, and I want justice,” his mother said.

April 5, 2018

Hundreds of people rallied in New York City on Thursday evening to call for justice for Saheed Vassell, an unarmed black man who was shot by police the day before.

Activists gathered in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, where New York City police shot at the 34-year-old father 10 times and killed him on Wednesday.

Police were responding to reports of a man wielding a gun, but later determined that the object Vassell had allegedly pointed at them was “a pipe with some sort of knob on the end of it.”

Standing on the corner where her son, who had bipolar disorder, had been killed the day before, Vassell’s mother, Lorna, gave an emotional address to the crowd.

“He did not deserve [for] a piece of iron in his hand for a cop to kill him,” she said, adding that her son came from a good family and was well loved by all who knew him. “It’s unjustified, and I want justice. They murdered my son, and I want justice for him.”

She also questioned why police didn’t simply shoot her son in his leg ― echoing the grandmother of Stephon Clark, another unarmed black man shot by police last month in Sacramento, California. Protests over Clark’s death have not stopped.

At the rally for Vassell, Women’s March leader and activist Linda Sarsour, who is from Brooklyn, called for the officers who shot Vassell to go to jail.

Another unidentified speaker at the rally demanded an investigation into the killing.

“They’re shooting us like birds, and it needs to stop,” he said. “People have to be held responsible for this. We need to check these police officers and lock them up.”

On Thursday, the office of New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said it was opening an investigation into Vassell’s death.

Mourners at the rally in Brooklyn chanted the now-familiar slogans against the repeated police killings of black people.

“No justice, no peace,” activists cried out. “Say his name!”

“Saheed!” the crowd yelled back.

A growing crowd of protesters then took to the streets of Brooklyn, marching to the 71st Police Precinct blocks away.

As I said in my previous post on this, I think the police were justified in killing him, based on the still image that I included in that post.

Now that I have seen the video of him pointing the pipe at different people as if it were a gun, my belief that the police were justified in killing him is even stronger.

I'm really, really glad this video footage exists.

It's too bad the protestors have chosen to pretend that this video footage does not exist.