Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-03-17, 03:49 PM   #5601
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Read about this one on Friday. This one takes the cake. They knew it was all bullshit and did it anyway. Good luck with qualified immunity on this one.
The only counter argument that could be made is that the SCOTUS decision that provided final clarity on the warrant requirement (Birchfield) was only decided a little over a year ago, but that's a weak argument. This officer displayed remarkable bad judgement.
Old 09-05-17, 10:00 AM   #5602
DVD Talk Hero

Philly Police Union President Calls Black Lives Matter Activists ‘A Pack Of Rabid Animals’
But he has defended an officer who appeared to be sporting a Nazi tattoo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0dfaafcf0bc55

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-05-17, 01:47 PM   #5603
DVD Talk Hero

Good on the hospital, basically giving the finger to cops and siding with their employees and patients.

Calling Nurse A 'Hero,' Utah Hospital Bars Police From Patient-Care Areas

Quote:
The Salt Lake City hospital where a police officer roughly arrested a nurse who was protecting her patient's rights in July will no longer allow law enforcement agents inside its patient care areas. They'll now have to check in, rather than enter through the emergency room.

"Law enforcement who come to the hospital for any reason involving patients will be required to check in to the front desk of the hospital," said chief nursing officer Margaret Pearce of the University of Utah Hospital. "There, a hospital house supervisor will meet the officers to work through each request."
Get fucked, pigs*!

*obviously, I don't mean all cops, just the ones that would do shit like this.
Old 09-05-17, 01:50 PM   #5604
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Good on the hospital, basically giving the finger to cops and siding with their employees and patients.

Calling Nurse A 'Hero,' Utah Hospital Bars Police From Patient-Care Areas

Get fucked, pigs*!

*obviously, I don't mean all cops, just the ones that would do shit like this.
Good. Absolutely no reason for them to be in there unless the hospital requests their presence.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-05-17, 05:48 PM   #5605
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure if that requirement would always be possible, or a good thing.

If an inmate is in need of medical treatment at a hospital, a prison guard would normally accompany them to the hospital. If that guard is now required to check in at the front desk, you've potentially got an unguarded prisoner.

Obviously, this was a completely different situation. It would seem there must be a better way to deal with it.
Old 09-05-17, 06:00 PM   #5606
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post

If an inmate is in need of medical treatment at a hospital, a prison guard would normally accompany them to the hospital. If that guard is now required to check in at the front desk, you've potentially got an unguarded prisoner.

Obviously, this was a completely different situation. It would seem there must be a better way to deal with it.
oh, good point. Not just an inmate, just about any police encounter with an armed and dangerous criminal may land the criminal into a hospital. With no police allowed in the hospital, the criminal can definitely wreak havoc while the paperwork is being completed with the hospital administrators. Oh, well, I guess after a few nurses are murdered by the criminals, maybe they will find a middle ground policy-wise.
Old 09-05-17, 06:11 PM   #5607
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post

That is specifically why I said that it would be up to the hospital to ask the officers to come past the desk. No more officers assuming they can do whatever they want in a hospital just because they are cops.

I assume the hospital would know a prisoner would be coming in for medical treatment and the accompanying guard would easily (and logically) be cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
oh, good point. Not just an inmate, just about any police encounter with an armed and dangerous criminal may land the criminal into a hospital. With no police allowed in the hospital, the criminal can definitely wreak havoc while the paperwork is being completed with the hospital administrators. Oh, well, I guess after a few nurses are murdered by the criminals, maybe they will find a middle ground policy-wise.
I'd argue the Utah nurse had a better chance of being shot by the cops than by most criminals she's had to deal with. She wasn't respecting their authoritah, after all.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-06-17, 04:25 PM   #5608
DVD Talk Hero

Las Vegas cops threatened to 'blow my f****** head off': Video shows Seattle Seahawks player Michael Bennett cuffed on the ground after he says he was singled out 'for being a black man'

- Bennett, 31, claims he was picked out of a crowd that was running away from supposed gunfire after Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight in Las Vegas
- Former Super Bowl champion has retained counsel and is considering filing a civil rights lawsuit against the Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Pro Bowl defensive end previously protested police violence against minorities by sitting during the playing of 'The Star Spangled Banner'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iling-him.html

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-06-17, 04:54 PM   #5609
DVD Talk Special Edition

How you doing?
Police Misconduct: King County Sheriff's Department 8/16/17

Old 09-06-17, 10:52 PM   #5610
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cop destroys a legal BBQ
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...treet-BBQ.html

The cop is now under investigation which means he might get paid vacation. Even if the cop thought they didn't have a right to BBQ he could have told them to finish what was on grill and then pack it up. Instead he pours water over the BBQ like a real hero.
Old 09-08-17, 04:52 AM   #5611
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cops shoots photographer thinking camera was gun.
https://petapixel.com/2017/09/07/her...-photographer/

Oddly enough the cop knows the guy.
Old 09-08-17, 11:27 AM   #5612
DVD Talk Hero

After Utah nurse’s violent arrest, local prosecutors ask FBI to help investigate police

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d6e794d66c32

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-08-17, 02:51 PM   #5613
DVD Talk Hero

Racism and corruption in the City of Brotherly Love.

Black Philly narcotics cops slam white supervisors

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...-20170906.html

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-11-17, 06:44 PM   #5614
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cop points gun at driver for not turning on turn signal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lling-gun.html

Driver didn't have a record. Cop never gave a reason for why he pulled his gun.
Old 09-11-17, 11:17 PM   #5615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Cop points gun at driver for not turning on turn signal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lling-gun.html

Driver didn't have a record. Cop never gave a reason for why he pulled his gun.
I don't know if this is the case for this incident, but if your windows are tinted too dark, the cop will tend to have his weapon ready until you lower your window. The driver may not notice that he is invisible to the cop therefore a possible threat.
Old 09-12-17, 09:24 AM   #5616
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I don't know if this is the case for this incident, but if your windows are tinted too dark, the cop will tend to have his weapon ready until you lower your window. The driver may not notice that he is invisible to the cop therefore a possible threat.
I was stopped for a seat belt violation, and the trooper kept his hand on his weapon as he approached. I completely understood why given the animosity toward police.

I recently talked to a retired state trooper, and he said that the two most dangerous situations cops face are (not surprisingly) domestic disturbances followed by traffic stops.

To quote him, "There are no routine traffic stops. That kind of thinking is what gets you killed."
Old 09-14-17, 02:41 PM   #5617
DVD Talk Hero

Now this is shocking, I'm surprised they didn't award him a medal.

Ex-Rikers Guard Is Sentenced to 30 Years in Fatal Beating of Inmate

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/n...y.html?mcubz=3

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-14-17, 03:59 PM   #5618
DVD Talk Legend

This one pisses me off to no end. I want cops cracking down and "confiscating" money from kids in the suburbs that open lemonade stands, as well. Assholes.

Old 09-14-17, 04:23 PM   #5619
DVD Talk Hero

That cop should hold one of those hot dogs - automatic bacon-wrapped dog!
Old 09-14-17, 08:38 PM   #5620
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
This one pisses me off to no end. I want cops cracking down and "confiscating" money from kids in the suburbs that open lemonade stands, as well. Assholes.
What makes me mad is that the confiscation is supposedly legal.
Old 09-15-17, 10:12 AM   #5621
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Facebook.html

'Hot cop' who shot to fame during Hurricane Irma posted offensive jokes about Jews and wrote that 'stupid people' should be put in an oven and dealt with 'the Hitler way' on Facebook

Gainesville police officer Michael Hamill pictured during Hurricane Irma
Along with two officers Hamill sent social media into meltdown when they shared a photo of them announcing how they were working through the night
But his stock has fallen after he was accused of writing anti-Semitic posts

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-15-17, 02:08 PM   #5622
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure how much the national eye is on St. Louis, but they are bracing for the worst. Downtown businesses have sent workers home for the day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bbfceeb0bd76

Former St. Louis police officer found not guilty in murder trial
Old 09-15-17, 03:28 PM   #5623

The judge said, "An urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly."

Well, okay!
Old 09-15-17, 11:47 PM   #5624
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Facebook.html

'Hot cop' who shot to fame during Hurricane Irma posted offensive jokes about Jews and wrote that 'stupid people' should be put in an oven and dealt with 'the Hitler way' on Facebook

Gainesville police officer Michael Hamill pictured during Hurricane Irma
Along with two officers Hamill sent social media into meltdown when they shared a photo of them announcing how they were working through the night
But his stock has fallen after he was accused of writing anti-Semitic posts
You really have to wonder what guys like this say behind closed doors when you see the kind of things they think are appropriate to post publicly on social media.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-16-17, 11:28 AM   #5625
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
You really have to wonder what guys like this say behind closed doors when you see the kind of things they think are appropriate to post publicly on social media.
I hung out a couple of times at a cop bar that a friend took me to. Some of the things that were said in conversations that I overheard and participated in were disgusting. Never went there again.

- Albert Bandura